PDA

View Full Version : Dean Oliver leaves the Nuggets to join ESPN

Chronz
03-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Happened a few days ago but thought it was worth mentioning.

http://www.mediabistro.com/sportsnewser/sports-statistician-dean-oliver-hired-by-espn_b6464

“There have been quantum changes in the culture of sports teams’ front offices, with a changed focus in statistical analysis to make major personnel decisions, and to bring someone directly from that arena strengthens our team,”

“The use of ‘Next Level’ advanced statistics has allowed us to dig deeper and get beyond the myths to the real ‘how and why’ behind a storyline.

Just gos to show, not everyone prefers a comfy job with a team and would rather be able to make his findings public. Denvers loss will be our gain, Dean O rocks.

Baller1
03-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Good news. Maybe he can teach some of the posters on this site a thing or two about advanced statistics.

lakers4sho
03-12-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm a fan of his work but ESPN better not dumb down his metrics.

Chronz
03-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Why would ESPN inhibit his work?

bulldog312
03-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Awesome. I can't wait to see some of his newer work. Does this mean they can stop promoting Hollinger as a great statistician? Please!?!

Chronz
03-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Awesome. I can't wait to see some of his newer work. Does this mean they can stop promoting Hollinger as a great statistician? Please!?!
Yea the Professor moniker would more aptly apply to Dean O, but Hollinger will always have his place in the field for popularizing it to the general public.

Hollinger gets too much flak, most of the complaints against him are off base, the whole he doesnt watch the game BS is most pointless, he ATTENDS more games than anyone here on the regular. Unless someone here has season season passes and even then you only watch 1 team. Hollinger couldnt know what he knows without watching games.

Hawkeye15
03-12-2011, 02:07 AM
great news, but there is still pushback amongst fans about the statistical movement (look on this site alone)

lakers4sho
03-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Why would ESPN inhibit his work?

to make it more accessible to the general populace?

I mean, ESPN's stat page is still mostly based on per game averages. One would think that with that the advent of much more advanced metrics that ESPN would also update their own stat hub.

I don't think that ESPN would inhibit his work, I guess what I'm hoping is that, especially with Hollinger and now Dean O on their team, they should at least make an effort to make revamp their statistics to satisfy more advanced fans

PER is nice and all, but ESPN is not exactly the place to go if you want to discuss [ debate ] and look up statistics.

PatsSoxKnicks
03-12-2011, 02:22 AM
I think this happened awhile ago but anyways, Dean O's first article for ESPN is up:

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/26150/too-much-bouncing-could-get-heat-bounced

Chronz
03-12-2011, 02:22 AM
to make it more accessible to the general populace?

I mean, ESPN's stat page is still mostly based on per game averages. One would think that with that the advent of much more advanced metrics that ESPN would also update their own stat hub.

I don't think that ESPN would inhibit his work, I guess what I'm hoping is that, especially with Hollinger and now Dean O on their team, they should at least make an effort to make revamp their statistics to satisfy more advanced fans

PER is nice and all, but ESPN is not exactly the place to go if you want to discuss [ debate ] and look up statistics.

Hollingers stat page has all the possession metrics and they brought Dean O to push it further not to adhere to the general fans

lakers4sho
03-12-2011, 02:29 AM
Well, I certainly hope so :shrug:

Baller1
03-12-2011, 02:42 AM
great news, but there is still pushback amongst fans about the statistical movement (look on this site alone)

It's so frustrating...

PatsSoxKnicks
03-12-2011, 02:49 AM
I have to say I'm sort of disappointed in Dean's first article or maybe I was just expecting too much (that's probably it). Anyways, I hope he publishes some of his research that he did while with the Nuggets (though I doubt it).

lakers4sho
03-12-2011, 02:52 AM
I have yet to hear these "analysts" on SportsCenter [ not that I'm tuned in 24/7 ] talk about WARP, USG%, WS, SRS, Pythagorean W-L, among many other things...

Baller1
03-12-2011, 02:56 AM
I have to say I'm sort of disappointed in Dean's first article or maybe I was just expecting too much (that's probably it). Anyways, I hope he publishes some of his research that he did while with the Nuggets (though I doubt it).

It wasn't anything special, but I still found it interesting.

I would have to agree that The Big Three are gonna have to learn how to work off of one another if they want to succeed, particularly in the playoffs. When they have to endure the defensive intensity of the playoffs, there's no way they're going to be able to create shots on their own like they so often attempt/do.

lakers4sho
03-12-2011, 03:03 AM
They need to learn to how play off the ball. Especially LBJ and Wade, they've gotten used to having the rock in their hands about a good number of possessions.

OaklandsFinest
03-12-2011, 03:27 AM
I think advanced stats are cool, and I think that in someways it goes a long way in explaining things, but I think people who understand them get off on the idea the casual fan doesn't and it makes them feel like an "insider". The best way to evaluate it strictly game tape, and to watch the actual game on the court. Are we going to act as if you need advanced stats to show Igoudala has pretty much shut down every premier scorer this year, because the fact the points, shooting pct were down and the turnovers were up? But some people feel as though you have to use the lamp light from the rafters plus the amount of ground covered, divided by the weight of the uniform, and multiply that by the nike swoosh to find out that you're still a Laker homer and trying to say Artest is a better defender. I say all that to say this, advanced stats are what they are, but their not the end all of whats "dope" in sports analysis. I'll take Jalen Rose, Chris Webber, and other established players opinions over Hollinger's.

PatsSoxKnicks
03-12-2011, 04:23 AM
I have yet to hear these "analysts" on SportsCenter [ not that I'm tuned in 24/7 ] talk about WARP, USG%, WS, SRS, Pythagorean W-L, among many other things...

I doubt you'll hear anything about WARP on ESPN, even now that Oliver is there. As it is, I don't know of any site that keeps track of the WARP leaders through a season so I doubt ESPN will when Basketball Prospectus doesn't.

Although, Pelton does write for ESPN Insider and in his articles, he uses WARP (or actually WARP2).

lakers4sho
03-12-2011, 04:35 AM
I doubt you'll hear anything about WARP on ESPN, even now that Oliver is there. As it is, I don't know of any site that keeps track of the WARP leaders through a season so I doubt ESPN will when Basketball Prospectus doesn't.

Although, Pelton does write for ESPN Insider and in his articles, he uses WARP (or actually WARP2).

I was taking my example a bit to the extreme, but you get my point.

The general fans don't dig deep into ESPN.com or basketball-reference.com in order to prove their point. Most of the time, they apply whatever they see from SportsCenter or hear from Skip Bayless [ :p ] in their arguments.