PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft: 4) Pittsburgh Strokin' 3's v. 5) Montreal Mafia

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the playoff voting for the PSD NBA Redraft. Every year we basketball fans enjoy taking part in a PSD game called the NBA redraft where over 60 users participate. The point of the redraft is to draft the best team possible and the obvious goal is to be crowned champion by the NBA forum. You will notice that the team name do not represent current NBA teams. The reason why we avoided this is because we wanted to avoid a bias that exists with current team names. For example, a team that had the Chicago Bulls team name would probably experience a higher volume of votes than let’s say the Memphis Grizzlies team simply because they have the larger fan base on PSD. As a result we got rid of that bias completely. Please take the time to review both teams, look at the depth chart and read the write ups to formalize your own opinion on which team would win a 7 game series. As far as injuries go, they will not be playing a factor in this Redraft though players that are continually hurt and have not had a healthy season in quite some time should be viewed as different players than what they once were (Yao, Oden, Roy etc). Thank you for voting and enjoy the match ups.

4) Pittsburgh v. 5) Montreal

Pittsburgh has Home Court Advantage

Pittsburgh Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16653788&postcount=31)
Montreal Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16650153&postcount=30)

Pittsburgh Depth Chart
PG: Jameer Nelson | Shaun Livingston | Pooh Jeter
SG: Anthony Parker | James Harden | Von Wafer
SF: Luol Deng | Rudy Fernandez
PF: Amare Stoudemire| Ryan Anderson
C: DeAndre Jordan | Aaron Gray | Jason Smith

Montreal Depth Chart
PG - Derrick Rose/Randy Foye
SG - Jason Richardson/Brandon Rush/Quincy Pondexter
SF - Thabo Sefolosha/Rashard Lewis/Travis Outlaw
PF - Chuck Hayes/Anthony Randolph
C - Marc Gasol/DJ Mbenga/Hasheem Thabeet

Pittsburgh Write Up

First off, I want to congratulate yojoe792 and Kakaroach for building a very good team. You guys did a great job. Let's get right down to it though.

Why Pittsburgh would beat Montreal:
Derrick Rose is a great player, I cannot deny that. He's probably my favorite for the MVP at the moment. However, this is a very different cast of players than he is used to playing with in Chicago, and they don't exactly compliment Rose all that well.

First of all, on the Chicago Bulls, Rose has a supporting cast of guys that space the floor very well and allow him to do what he does best: use his unreal athleticism to beat his defender and get into the paint. Once he gets by his defender, he can either shoot it, or pass it to one of his teammates that no doubt is open since the defense has now collapsed on him. Boozer, Deng, Keith Bogans, even Noah, and guys like Korver off the bench all can knock down outside shots.

Let's take a look at his teammates on Montreal. Chuck Hayes: Two-thirds of Chuck Hayes' shots are at the rim. The other one-third come from 3-9 feet. Anything further than 9 feet is out of his range and he cannot take. So he needs to stay close to the basket at all times, which does Rose no good because it clogs up the lane. Hayes is a very one-dimensional player. Similarly, Marc Gasol also does most of his work very close to the basket. On the few mid-range (10-15 ft) shots he does take he makes 29% of them. Again, another player that is ineffective away from the basket. What about the wingers, you ask? Well, Thabo Sefolosha is coming dangerously close to shooting less than 30% from 3-point land. In other words, he is a terrible 3-point shooter. Jason Richardson is the only threat from outside that we have to worry about, which should not be much of an issue, considering he is the only guy we have to keep an eye on, and also, Anthony Parker and Luol Deng are VERY good defenders.

So, in conclusion: Rose's teammates cannot space the floor and make outside shots, will clog the lane, and make Rose not as effective as he is right now with the Bulls.

Let's take a look now at Pittsburgh.
Jameer Nelson - shoots 39% from 3, great at getting into the lane and kicking to open shooters. Derrick Rose probably won't have a fun time chasing him around pick and rolls all game long.
Anthony Parker - shoots 40% from 3.
Luol Deng - 34% from 3
Amare Stoudemire - can't shoot 3's, but still very effective from 10-23 ft.

Off the bench:
Ryan Anderson - 40% from 3
Rudy Fernandez - 34% from 3
James Harden - 35.4% from 3

Basically, we can make it rain. We're not called the Pittsburgh Smoking Trees and Stroking 3's for nothing.

Let's zero in on individual matchups now:

Jameer Nelson vs Derrick Rose
Rose is better, I won't kid you. However, Jameer Nelson is still a very good player. Defensively, he is able to stay in front of most opposing PGs. He won't be able to here with Rose, and we're not asking him to. The strategy to defend Rose is quite simple: Jameer Nelson tries his best to make Rose a shooter (Rose is in a MAJOR shooting slump right now, 40% from the field this month, 10% from 3), and when Rose beats Nelson, collapse the defense on him. If you've read anything of what I've written so far though, you'd know that A.) the lane is probably clogged up, making it hard for Rose to get to the basket, and B.) unlike the Chicago Bulls with guys like Boozer, Deng, Bogans, Korver, etc, Montreal is not a good shooting team. So while Rose is a great player, his impact will not be as great as in real life making this matchup closer than at first glance. Not to mention, Jameer Nelson is no slouch on offense, Rose will have to exert a lot of energy defending him on the other end. Rose is not a good defensive player, so Nelson will be able to do what he does best: penetrate and kick.

Anthony Parker vs Jason Richardson
Since he plays in Cleveland, he flys under the radar. But Anthony Parker is a very solid player. Defensively, he's fundamentally sound, can stay in front of pretty much anyone. He will make it very hard on Richardson to get his usual point total. Parker is not a bad offensive player, either. He is a GREAT 3 point shooter, can put it on the floor and go to the bucket, rebounds, and is a skilled passer.

Luol Deng vs Thabo Sefolosha
This is a good matchup. Both are good defenders, Luol Deng just has a much greater offensive repetoire. I know that no one actually cares about the All star game, but he very easily could have been in it this year. He has been playing great basketball and been a major reason for Rose's MVP candidacy as well as the Bulls great record.

Amare Stoudemire vs Chuck Hayes
This matchup could get ugly. Hayes is surrending a good 4 inches to Amare, that is, if you actually believe Hayes is 6'6''. He probably more like 6'5'', so 5 inches of difference. Many double teams will need to be sent to stop Amare from getting 40, which will open things up even more for Amare's teammates to rain down the 3's.

DeAndre Jordan vs Marc Gasol
Jordan is limited offensively. He does a couple things VERY well, not much else though. He is an incredible athlete and a great rebounder. DeAndre will do the dirty work on our team. Clean up the glass, protect the bucket (he averages almost 2 blocks per game), run the floor, set sturdy screens, and generally be a pest to the opposing team.

Pittsburgh's Bench vs Montreal's Bench
Big edge to Pittsburgh here. The main reason is our plethora of shooters (already touched on this above, Rudy Fernandez, Ryan Anderson, James Harden) and also Montreal's lack of quality big men. Anthony Randolph? DJ Mbenga? Hasheem Thabeet never even plays. No one on Montreal can guard Shaun Livingston. He's 6'7'' and giving Charlotte QUALITY minutes off the bench right now. Honestly, we feel like we have one of the best benches in this redraft.

In conclusion, Pittsburgh has too much offensive firepower for Montreal to handle. If we are hitting our shots, then we probably win in blowout fashion. If we're missing our shots, probably a 5-6 point victory. Montreal's lack of floor spacing and players that compliment Rose will make it rather easy for Pittsburgh to consistently get stops.

Good luck yojoe and Kakaroach, and thanks for taking the time to read my writeup.

Montreal Write Up

Why the Montreal Mafia will defeat Pittsburgh Smokin’ Trees and Strokin’ Threes.

Reason #1: Derrick Rose vs. Jameer Nelson. This isn’t just a comparison of skill. It is a comparison of size and leadership. Nelson, though he is a good point guard, is just not going to be able to stop Derrick Rose who is faster, bigger, and, well, better. Sure, Pitt COULD switch Anthony Parker onto D-Rose. Fine by us. 6-0 Jameer Nelson would then be guarding the 6-6 Jason Richardson. THEN we’ll see who actually is “Strokin’ 3’s.”

Reason #2: Defensive matchups. Rose is just too big and too fast for Nelson to drive on. Thabo Sefolosha, an NBA second-team all defensive player, is going to lock down Luol Deng the entire series. Jason Richardson should have no problems guarding a weak offensive player in Anthony Parker (9ppg on 40% shooting). 7-1 Marc Gasol will be on 6-11 Deandre Jordan who isn’t really an offensive threat whatsoever. Now…let’s address the Amare problem. Rashard Lewis as a 6th man gives us huge size off the bench. If Amare becomes a problem, we can send 6-10 Rashard in to help with double teams or any defensive adjustments. Gasol is also considerably longer and should be able to guard him as well. In sum, Amare is Pitt’s only true threat to the Montreal defense, a threat that can be addressed.

Reason #3: Bench. Rashard Lewis is our sixth man, don’t really need to elaborate there. Size, shooting, experience. Don’t worry, we’ll make him earn his salary. Randy Foye proved he is a legitimate scoring threat while Eric Gordon was injured. Brandon Rush is a good shooter, scorer, and very underrated defender. Thabeet and Mbenga give us backup size and defense. Anthony Randolph gives us defense and energy. Outlaw is Outlaw. And Quincy Pondexter will keep the bench warm. This is a great bench that does everything.

Reason #4: We have the MVP of the league in a system where all offensive and defensive pieces fit perfectly. Enough said.

GREATNESS ONE
03-11-2011, 11:06 AM
This one is close and would be a great matchup but there's no way in Hell Chuck Hayes is stopping Amare.

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I have asked the mods to sticky the redraft threads. I hope it gets done soon.

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 11:31 AM
I really like both teams, This will be one I will have to come back to again before voting.

ManRam
03-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Rose does surprisingly poor against Nelson. Chalk it up to Dwight if you want, but Nelson is a pitbull, and does do a good job of keeping Rose in front of him. I don't think Nelson would ever shy away from Rose. Rose will get his own, but it wouldn't be a complete feast.

Pittsburgh is much better down low, and their bench is also far superior. I really like them a bit more.

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Most lopsided match up so far.

Sportfan
03-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Wait a sec doesn't Montreal has Rashard Lewis at PF? The difference between Shard and Hayes is huge

FutureGM
03-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Within Montreal's writeup the creator of the team mentions Rashard Lewis yet he is not on the depth chart. I know it probably doesn't change anything but in something like this you can't leave off a guy. Especially for the people who don't read writeups.

Edit: Beat me too it by seconds.

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 03:15 PM
need more votes.

D1JM
03-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Pitts. No way Hayes stops amare

yojoe792
03-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Ya, this is wrong. I made it clear Rashard is my 6th man, not a bench player in my clubhouse. Didn't think the only thing shown would be my writeup. He's clearly going to wind up playing more minutes than Hayes.

It's like a Jason Terry type thing. He plays more than Beaubois but comes off the bench and plays a significant role on the team.

clutchski
03-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I liked Pitts' write up but I feel Montreal would win the match-up

Sportfan
03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Ya, this is wrong. I made it clear Rashard is my 6th man, not a bench player in my clubhouse. Didn't think the only thing shown would be my writeup. He's clearly going to wind up playing more minutes than Hayes.

It's like a Jason Terry type thing. He plays more than Beaubois but comes off the bench and plays a significant role on the team.
You should have just started Shard. People just see Chuck Hayes and probably automatically voted for the other team

yojoe792
03-11-2011, 09:39 PM
^^^I didn't think I needed to. Thought my clubhouse would be there.

Let's see some more votes, PSD!

yojoe792
03-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Bump. Any way we can get this stickied?

NYKalltheway
03-12-2011, 06:11 PM
It's kinda done I think