PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft: 4) Arlington Devils v. 5) Tucson Tortillas

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the playoff voting for the PSD NBA Redraft. Every year we basketball fans enjoy taking part in a PSD game called the NBA redraft where over 60 users participate. The point of the redraft is to draft the best team possible and the obvious goal is to be crowned champion by the NBA forum. You will notice that the team name do not represent current NBA teams. The reason why we avoided this is because we wanted to avoid a bias that exists with current team names. For example, a team that had the Chicago Bulls team name would probably experience a higher volume of votes than letís say the Memphis Grizzlies team simply because they have the larger fan base on PSD. As a result we got rid of that bias completely. Please take the time to review both teams, look at the depth chart and read the write ups to formalize your own opinion on which team would win a 7 game series. As far as injuries go, they will not be playing a factor in this Redraft though players that are continually hurt and have not had a healthy season in quite some time should be viewed as different players than what they once were (Yao, Oden, Roy etc). Thank you for voting and enjoy the match ups.

4) Arlington v. 5) Tucson

Arlington has Home Court Advantage

Arlington Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16601106&postcount=4)
Tuscon Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16601066&postcount=3)

Arlington Depth Chart
PG: Chris Paul/ C.J. Watson
SG: Stephen Jackson/ Mickael Pietrus/ James White
SF: Landry Fields/ Chase Budinger/ Gordon Hayward
PF: Andrea Bargnani/ Hakeem Warrick
C: Samuel Dalambert/ Brad Miller/ Johan Petro

Tucson Depth Chart
PG: Kirk Hinrich/Earl Watson
SG: Joe Johnson/Marco Belinelli/Xavier Henry
SF: Boris Diaw/Quentin Richardson/Rasual Butler
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Vladimir Radmonovic
C: Ben Wallace/Joel Pryzbilla/Etan Thomas

Tucson Write Up

Front Court

The center position consists of a defensive showdown between Ben Wallace and Samuel Dalembert. Wallace has been known for his defense throughout his career. He has won the defensive player of the year award four times in his career. Dalembert has been known to be very clumsy in his play on the court. Wallace is the perfect compliment next to Dirk. He will be able to stop whatever offensive abilities that Dalembert may bring.

The power forward matchup might be the most unique matchup of this series. The Tortillas send out one of the best, if not the best, power forward in the league in Dirk Nowitzki. He is by far the most versatile big man with his ability to hit the outside shot as well as in the paint. Many have compared Bargnani to Dirk, but Bargnani has a long way to go in terms of ever becoming on Dirk's level of play. In this specific matchup, Dirk would destroy Bargnani and go off for 25+ ppg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E9SUmH5X4g

At small forward, it is Boris Diaw vs. Landry Fields. Fields has had a break out season thus far after being drafted in the second round. He is primarily a role player so far this early in his career, which is why Diaw gets the upper hand in this matchup. Diaw is a veteran in this league. He, just like Dirk, is very versatile. He can play many positions, such as SG, SF, PF, and even C. His length will disrupt the passing lanes and shutdown Fields.

Back Court

The shooting guard position consist of veterans Joe Johnson and Stephen Jackson. Both are flat out scorers. Johnson is the leader of the Hawks in real life and he is the co leader of this team alongside Dirk. His shooting from the outside will make a good compliment to Dirk. When one gets double teamed, the other will be wide open for the shot. Jackson has never been known for playing defense and this series shouldn't be any different. Johnson will score however and whenever he wants on Jackson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nikiacc5PBM

Both teams are run by their veteran point guards, Kirk Hinrich for the Tortillas and Chris Paul for the Devils. Paul obviously has the upper hand in this matchup being the superstar player that he is. He has the complete package from stealing/shooting/defense/rebounding/assists. He will be a handful to guard, but we feel like Kirk is the man for the job. Kirk has been known in his career for his excellent defense and always guarding the opponents best player. The same holds true in this series. He was also a All Defense Second Team player in 2007. Paul will always find ways to get his points and dimes, but Hinrich should be able to slow Paul down to well below his averages in this series.

Bench

Both teams have a solid supporting cast. The notable players on the Tortillas are Joel Pryzbilla, Marco Belinelli, Earl Watson and Quentin Richardson. The Devils bench consists of guys like Brad Miller, Hakim Warrick, Mickael Pietrus, and C.J Watson. Both benches compliment their starters nicely and have a good mix of offense and defense.

Congratulations to John Walls Era & SensandRaps on constructing a great team and making it to the playoffs. In the end though, the Tortillas will come out on top in a hard fought series. Although the Devils have Paul running the show, the tandem of Joe Johnson and Dirk Nowitzki will be too much to handle for the Devils. The two superstars are surrounded with quality role players essential to moving on. Tortillas advance to the second round.

Arlington did not send in a write up

GREATNESS ONE
03-11-2011, 11:07 AM
The weak front court of Arlington loses this series for them.

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I have asked the mods to sticky the redraft threads. I hope it gets done soon.

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Match up is starting to be really one sided.

F*(&"Next Year"
03-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Missing a writeup kills them imo

210Don
03-11-2011, 01:04 PM
tuscson has JJ & Dirk Done Deal

yojoe792
03-11-2011, 01:17 PM
I put Tucson 14th in my west coast rankings. They have absolutely no depth and really have 2 guys who know how to put the damn ball in the hoop. Those two guys are great players, but I don't see them fitting in together well. Arlington easily.

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Lets get some more votes in here.

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Tucson is pulling away.

SteveNash
03-11-2011, 05:07 PM
How many teams were there because those are some awful picks.

Tucson wins as Arlington has no strategy.

Chacarron
03-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Tucson.

roshan3ai
03-11-2011, 05:10 PM
How many teams were there because those are some awful picks.

Tucson wins as Arlington has no strategy.

30 teams. It's a re-draft so the good teams aren't going to stacked like they are in real life. Everyone basically has a fair chance as it's a snake draft. Whoever lands a top 10 pick obviously has an advantage, but it's still hard to create a team that would be amazing in real life.

SensandRaps
03-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Arlington Write Up (please move this to first post)
Starting 5
Dalembert vs Wallace: Wallace used to be a great defensive player back in the day but he is not the same player that he used to be back in the day. These players are still good defensive players but dalembert is a better player all rounded. Not to mention that we can in late situations we can foul wallace intentionally which will work to our advantage.
Advantage:Arlington

Bargnani vs Nowitzki: Like mentioned in tucson's writeup this is a unique matchup. Nowitzki and Bargnani are similar players but Nowitzki has the matchup here. The point that I have to disagree with is that Nowitzki will have a field day on Bargnani. The reason these players are being compared is because they have similar offensive and defensive skills. Yes Nowitzki is better in his all round game but if dirk can go off against bargnani it can work the other way around.
Advantage:Tuscon

Fields vs Diaw: Both players are good role players. They both are similar players and have the same advantages so we feel they cancel each other out.
Advantage:None

Jackson vs Johnson: Both are good scorers in this matchup. Johnson is a pure shooter while Jackson attacks the rim more. The point that i dont agree with here is that jackson isnt known for his defence. If you actually look at statistics it shows that they are similar in terms of defence with Jackson having a small advantage in fact. The stat i am using is Defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) where johnson allows 109 points and jackson allows 108 points. The point here is that johnson has a small advantage on offence and they are pretty much a wash on defence but this matchup isnt as one sided as you may think.
Advantage:Tuscon

Paul vs Hinrich: This matchup is going to factor in a lot for us winning the series. Paul is the best pg in the league right now and can do it all. Hinrich used to be a good defensive player but his play has regressed. In terms of offense and defence we take this advantage easily.
Advantage: Arlington

Bench:
Both teams have good role players not going to argue that but I feel our bench players are more versitaile since our guys on the bench can contribute offensively and are going to be a huge factor defensively.
Advantage: Arlington

Overall writeup:
At the start of the redraft we decided that this team needed an identity. We decided that it would be defence. Outside of 1 player on our team all of our players play atleast average defence with quite a few of them playing above average defence. Its been proven that defence wins championships and as a whole we feel that our team is better defensively. We have a good mix of players of different players who compliment each other very well.

Congrats to phlp_bj and Tblaze on building a good team and making the playoffs but as pointed out with the reasons above we feel that we should win this matchup.

Ebbs
03-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Lol no Dirk is a way better defender then Bargs.

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Bargnani in my opinion is an above average on the ball defender. His help defense is of course terrible..

PhillyLuver
03-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Tucson's running away with it. I pick them, but I see them going down in the next round

jimbobjarree
03-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Tucson for having by far the coolest name/logo

NYKalltheway
03-11-2011, 10:22 PM

If by that you mean from the whole redraft then you're wrong :p

phlp_bj
03-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I put Tucson 14th in my west coast rankings. They have absolutely no depth and really have 2 guys who know how to put the damn ball in the hoop. Those two guys are great players, but I don't see them fitting in together well. Arlington easily.

I believe we have decent depth. It may not be the best bench in the redraft, but we have quality guys that will give our starters a breather. Dirk and JJ will obviously play most of the game. The rest of the positions we have good backups. I actually see JJ and Dirk working well together. JJ is like an upgraded version of Terry/Butler. Dirk is obviously the number one option, but JJ is a great number 2.

:D

Ebbs
03-11-2011, 11:01 PM
JJ would be an awesome 2nd option.