PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft: 3) San Diego Conquistadors v. 6) Reno Renegades

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the playoff voting for the PSD NBA Redraft. Every year we basketball fans enjoy taking part in a PSD game called the NBA redraft where over 60 users participate. The point of the redraft is to draft the best team possible and the obvious goal is to be crowned champion by the NBA forum. You will notice that the team name do not represent current NBA teams. The reason why we avoided this is because we wanted to avoid a bias that exists with current team names. For example, a team that had the Chicago Bulls team name would probably experience a higher volume of votes than let’s say the Memphis Grizzlies team simply because they have the larger fan base on PSD. As a result we got rid of that bias completely. Please take the time to review both teams, look at the depth chart and read the write ups to formalize your own opinion on which team would win a 7 game series. As far as injuries go, they will not be playing a factor in this Redraft though players that are continually hurt and have not had a healthy season in quite some time should be viewed as different players than what they once were (Yao, Oden, Roy etc). Thank you for voting and enjoy the match ups.

3) San Diego v. 6) Reno

San Diego has Home Court Advantage

Reno Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16615746&postcount=26)
San Diego Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16612545&postcount=23)

Reno Depth Chart
PG: Chauncey Billups - Keyon Dooling
SG: Wesley Matthews - Chris Douglas Roberts - Roger Mason Jr.
SF: Thaddeus Young - Terrence Williams
PF: David West - Ersan Ilyasova - Ekpe Udoh
C: Andrew Bynum - Kyle Fesenko - Ryan Hollins

San Diego Depth Chart
C - Chris Kaman / Kurt Thomas / Hamed Haddadi
PF - Kevin Garnett / Shawne Williams / Brandan Wright
SF - Tayshaun Prince / James Johnson / Shawne Williams
SG - Eric Gordon / Willie Green / Charlie Bell
PG - Luke Ridnour / Aaron Brooks / Charlie Bell

San Diego Write up

This is a matchup of two teams without “superstar” players. Both teams went for the balanced approach yet only one did the complete job. San Diego not only has an advantage with the balance and talent of the starting lineup but also a significant advantage with their depth. They have bench players capable of starting in an emergency while Reno’s backups can’t even crack an NBA rotation.

C – Chris Kaman vs. Andrew Bynum
Both players are legit 7 footers who are natural centers. Both can rebound and block shots. Kaman proved last season by averaging 19ppg on 49%fg / 75%ft that he can also be a consistent scoring threat every night. He is the superior player on the offensive low block. Bynum is a better defensive player with his rebounding and shot blocking. However, it is important to realize that Kaman proved in 2008 that he can be an impact player on defense as well averaging 12.7rpg and 2.8bpg (both top 5 productions). Personally I don’t see either controlling this matchup because Kaman would outscore Bynum but not do it as efficiently as he normally would.

Slight Advantage – Reno

PF – Kevin Garnett vs. David West
This is a nightmare matchup for David West. First it’s important to realize Kevin Garnett is still Kevin Garnett. His statistics are at or near his career highs in TS% (3rd highest of his career), FG%, DRB% (currently 4th in NBA), TRB%, STL% (Career high and 9th currently in the NBA), TOV%, ORtg, and DRtg (Currently #1 in NBA). He’s scoring easily, rebounding among the best, and playing elite defense. David West is a jumpshooting big man who had a dream PG to give him open looks. He’s a 50% shooter who can score in the high teens. He doesn’t rebound, block shots, get steals, create assists, or play defense on the same level as Kevin Garnett. The only time David West has even been in a top 10 statistical category is turnover percent in 2006 and FT percentage in 2009.

Advantage – San Diego

SF – Tayshaun Prince vs. Thaddeus Young
Prince is a better scorer, shooter, passer, and defender with championship experience and a ring. Young is an athletic backup forward. Not much to discuss here.

Advantage – San Diego

SG – Eric Gordon vs. Wesley Matthews
Two talented young players. Gordon is scoring more per game (24ppg to 16ppg) at a more efficient level (58.4TS%) getting the foul line at a near elite level of 7.1 FTA per game. He can drive and shoot and he’s significantly better as a passer/creater than Matthews. He’s averaging 4.5 apg to Matthew’s 2.1apg. Gordon is a bona fide #2 option and is on the verge of becoming a perennial All-Star.

Advantage – San Diego

PG – Luke Ridnour vs. Chauncey Billups
Billups is significantly better than Luke Ridnour. It’s a clear advantage for Reno. However, Ridnour is perfect for his role on this team. He has an incredibly high Bball IQ and is a good facilitator. He’s currently in the top 10 in the league in both 3pt shooting (44%) and FT% (91%). He’s averaging a career high points per game and slightly over 5apg. He’s a great fit for the rest of my roster.

Advantage – Reno

Bench:
Kurt Thomas > Kyle Fesenko (not in an NBA rotation)
Shawne Williams < Ersan Ilyasova
S. Williams/Johnson > Terrence Williams (not in an NBA rotation)
Willie Green > Chris Douglas-Roberts (not in an NBA rotation)
Aaron Brooks > Keyon Dooling

All 5 of my backups have started games this season and are currently getting regular minutes on their respective NBA teams. Only 2 of his players even play in real life. This is a landslide advantage for San Diego. Brooks is a high impact 6th man and Thomas and Williams are good defensive players for the frontcourt. They can contribute on both ends of the floor.

Advantage – San Diego

Overall: The higher seeded San Diego has a clear advantage in both the starting lineup and a huge advantage on the bench. We have the depth, experience, defense, and balance of scoring that is necessary to make a playoff run.

San Diego advances in 6.

Reno Write UP

Write-Up
First off, I would like to say good luck to San Diego and let the best team win.

Alright, let's get started. First I would like to say that as an overall team with all the components and how each player would play together, I fully believe that my team is better than San Diego.

All-Around Team
We feel that our team is put together better because we have everything that a championship team needs. We have the great leader and a guy we can give the ball to late in Billups, 2 great two-way player in Matthews and Young, a post presence and another player you could give the ball to in crunch time in West, and a great C who can score, rebound, defend and has championship experience. We feel that Arlington has some weak spots in their lineup, like Kaman, Gordon(NO PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE), and Ridnour, while we are a well-rounded team with only minor weaknesses. We have good defense, leadership, experience, scorers, and just an overall better team
Advantage - Reno

Point Guard - Chauncey Billups vs. Luke Ridnour
I believe that this match-up is one of the biggest strengths for us in this series. This really isn't a competition between these 2 players. One is a Finals MVP who has a ton of playoff experience and is a really good leader, while the other is not that experienced and would have a tough time in the playoffs leading a team. I think it is easy to see which player does what.
Clear Advantage - Reno

Shooting Guard - Wesley Matthews vs. Eric Gordon
This match-up is not as bad for us as some people might think. Sure EG is a big-time scorer, but Wesley Matthews is no slouch. He is averaged 17 PPG and he plays defense really well. EG is the better player, sure, but Wes would defenitely be able to hold his own in this matchup because he has the playoff experience and EG has not been on a winning team in the NBA to this day and he doesn't really play that defense.
Slight Advantage - San Diego

Small Forward - Thaddeus Young vs. Tayshaun Prince
This match-up is really interesting and can be the x-factor in this series. They are really alike and play the same type of game. Thaddeus Young is the younger player and the better scorer efficiency wise along with being a better rebounder and they are both really good defenders. The one thing that Tay clearly has over Thad is the experience.
No Advantage - Tied

Power Forward - David West vs. Kevin Garnett
I am going to keep this one simple David West is the better scorer, but Kevin Garnett is the better defender. In the end, KG is better because of his championship experience.
Slight Advantage - San Diego

Center - Andrew Bynum vs. Chris Kaman
Now here is another match-up that we feel is not even close. Bynum is far-and-beyond better than Kaman. Kaman is a black hole on offense who is shooting at or below 40% for the season. THAT IS JUST ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! And he doesn't really play much defense any more for whatever reason. Bynum has the championship experience, defense, rebounding, scoring, and team work that makes him better than Kaman by a mile. I honestly wouldn't touch Kaman with a mile long pole because of the way he is playing.
Clear Advantage - Reno

Bench -Look at Depth Charts
Both teams have some impact players like Ilyasova, CDR, Brooks, and even Kurt Thomas, but both are pretty even beyond that point and the bench will likely be in for a max of 10 minutes per game.
No Advantage - Tied

jtsunami
03-11-2011, 10:35 AM
If they are on the bench in real life, do they have to be in this?

I feel like having Aaron Brooks on your bench when Luke Ridnour is starting doesn't make sense. It gives San Diego the bench advantage when in reality Ridnour would be on the bench and the benches would be even.

I'll go Reno.

F*(&"Next Year"
03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
No, the GM's can design the depth chart however they like.

BlondeBomber41
03-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Anyone else notice keeps referring to "Arlington" as their opponent in the write up? :p

GREATNESS ONE
03-11-2011, 11:03 AM
wow both these teams are Horrid. I guess If I had to pick one, Chauncy would have his way with Ridnour and Bynum would eat up Kaman as the 1st or 2nd option.

PhillyLuver
03-11-2011, 11:12 AM
wow both these teams are Horrid. I guess If I had to pick one, Chauncy would have his way with Ridnour and Bynum would eat up Kaman as the 1st or 2nd option.

And I thought the horribleness of the NBA forum was overstated

roshan3ai
03-11-2011, 11:21 AM
That Reno writeup was really biased. I don't think anyone except him wouldn't take Prince over Thad in the playoffs.

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I have asked the mods to sticky the redraft threads. I hope it gets done soon.

John Walls Era
03-11-2011, 11:41 AM

PhillyLuver
03-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Also good luck to Reno. Thaddeus Youngs "great defense" may be the deciding factor here :p

GREATNESS ONE
03-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Also good luck to Reno. Thaddeus Youngs "great defense" may be the deciding factor here :p

:laugh2:

KnicksorBust
03-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Garnett is only slightly better than West?
Garnett is superior to West is every advanced offensive and defensive statistic (except offensive rebound percentage) from shooting efficiency to passing to win shares.
Thad Young is as good as Tayshaun Prince?
His bench is as good as mine when I clearly proved their not even close? Come on. He's got a decent team and I'll give him Billups over Ridnour and Aaron Brooks but the rest of that writeup was very biased. He didn't give Arlington nearly enough credit. :)

KnicksorBust
03-11-2011, 12:13 PM
If they are on the bench in real life, do they have to be in this?

I feel like having Aaron Brooks on your bench when Luke Ridnour is starting doesn't make sense. It gives San Diego the bench advantage when in reality Ridnour would be on the bench and the benches would be even.

I'll go Reno.

Yea, I thought about starting Brooks because his speed could work well against Billups. He obviously is our 6th man and would get a lot of burn in this series but Ridnour is good to set the tempo and get our other scorers like Gordon-KG-Kaman going. Then Brooks can provide that scoring spark off the bench like a Jason Terry.

Anyone else notice keeps referring to "Arlington" as their opponent in the write up? :p

It helps because it makes it look like their are 3 teams and that Reno wins the most matchups because their name keeps coming up and San Diego and Arlington are tied for 2nd and 3rd. :laugh:

BullsNumber1Fan
03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
I won't lie, my write-up is a litttle biased, but San Diego's is not, huh? How in the hell can you say Bynum only has a "slight advantage" over Kaman this season? Nobody brought this up? Here are some stats for you guys:

Bynum: 21.2 PER, 60.9 TS%, 57.3 eFG%, 13.4 ORB%, 22.5 DRB%, 18.1 TRB%, 7.7 AST%, 5.5 BLK%, 13.0 TOV%, 18.3 USG%, 121 ORTG, 101 DRTG, 2.9 OWS, 1.9 DWS, 4.7 WS, 0.208 WS/48

Kaman: 13.6 PER, 46.4 TS%, 43.8 eFG%, 6.3 ORB%, 26.6 DRB%, 16.4 TRB%, 9.6 AST%, 4.3 BLK%, 12.4 TOV%, 25.0 USG%, 92 ORTG, 106 DRTG, -0.5 OWS, 0.6 DWS, 0.1 WS, 0.013 WS/48

How in your right mind give somebody a slight advantage when the other player has a TS% of 46.6, a PER of 13.6, OWS of -0.5 and a ORTG of 92? Exactly. Chris Kaman has been absolutely atrocious and I would NEVER want him near my team.

And one more thing I should state, Thaddeus Young has a 57.7 TS%, 14.5 TRB%, 104 DRTG and Tayshaun Prince has a 50.7 TS%, 8.4 TRB%, 114 DRTG. Who is the better scorer, rebounder, defender again? Oh yeah, you should go check for more bias in the SD write up there too.

You better come prepared when you call my bias yet have SO much of your own.

yojoe792
03-11-2011, 01:14 PM
SD wins this easily. Incredible balance of everything, including defense and leadership.

Sportfan
03-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I agree that Thad is just as good as Prince, hell his defense might be better than Prince (on my phone haven't looked at numbers yet)

Tough matchup, Reno matches up with SD very well. I'll vote later once I see some numbers

FutureGM
03-11-2011, 01:36 PM
SD takes this easy. The bench wins it for him alone. Billups makes this an interesting matchup but honestly I take SD nine times out of ten.

pd1dish
03-11-2011, 01:47 PM
i chose Reno because i like having a PG with a lot of playoff experience in Billups and that PG matchup is so unfair, it would be '04 all over again for Billups. i also thought that Bynum and West would be a handful inside for San Diego even though they have good defensive big men. Eric Gordon is a scary SG to go against, but i think that the big men for Reno and Billups outweigh Eric Gordon's offense and KG's defense

also, on a side note, how many teams did redrafts? 30?

jeff86
03-11-2011, 02:20 PM
i chose Reno because i like having a PG with a lot of playoff experience in Billups and that PG matchup is so unfair, it would be '04 all over again for Billups. i also thought that Bynum and West would be a handful inside for San Diego even though they have good defensive big men. Eric Gordon is a scary SG to go against, but i think that the big men for Reno and Billups outweigh Eric Gordon's offense and KG's defense

also, on a side note, how many teams did redrafts? 30?

Yes there were 30 teams

Mile High Champ
03-11-2011, 05:03 PM
SD is starting to run away with this one.

GREATNESS ONE
03-11-2011, 05:55 PM
lol sorry for calling your guys teams "horrid" taking into account their are 30 teams they are both pretty good.