PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Half Playoff teams

cbreezy34
03-11-2011, 03:22 AM
Out of the teams seeded 5th to 8th right now in the East and the West... who poses the biggest threat to make a first round upset and a possible deep run?

East
The Hawks- Have been here before with this core. Have a true center in Al Hoford, an athletic pf in Josh Smith and shooters in Jamal Crawford and Joe Johnson. Have looked pretty average of late with the Knicks and Sixers breathing down their neck. Many would argue this team has leveled off and are a 1st round exit waiting to happen.

The Knicks- Without a doubt have the most star power in the bottom half. Have a bigtime clutch PG in Chauncey... one of the 5 best scorers in Carmelo and an MVP canidate in Amare. However some argue the chemistry won't be strong enough to make a deep run. Also lack any kind of real depth and none of their players nor coach are known for defense.

The Sixers- The hottest team in the bottom half after starting out 3-13. The Sixers have the best bench in the NBA averaging 40.3 PPG and a much improved defense. The team has bought into Coach Collins as Iggy has become far more efficient as a faciliting type. With an ever improving Jrue Holiday running the point, a retro Elton Brand and Thad Young, Evan Turner and Lou Williams coming off the bench... do the Sixers have enough to make a run? The Sixers big problem is that they don't have that star that can close out games (Carmelo).

The West

Denver - Have been playing inspired basketball since trading away Carmelo and Chauncey. Have a lot of depth and versatility with Lawson and Felton running the point... Gallo and J.R. Smith draining threes and Nene and K Mart grabing the boards. Some would argue this play is not going to contunie and that they don't have the stars to make a run... what do you think?

Portland- Winners of 4 in a row.... the Blazers contunie to do it without Brandon Roy at full strength. Their strength along with Denver and Philadelphia is their extreme depth. Lemarcus Aldridge is also proving to be one of the top power fowards in the NBA and a legit MVP canidate. With the addition of Gerald Wallace do the Blazers have what it takes to make a run or will their lack of outside shooters and health concerns prevent that from happening?

New Orleans- Anytime a team has a pg the caliber of Chris Paul.. they have a chance to do something. However I would argue this is the weakest team of the bottom half due to Paul not looking 100 percent and lack of other go to guys. Can Paul make up for it and make a run?

Memphis- This team has some serious size with Zach Ranolph and Marc Gasol playing down low. Also with the addition of Shane Battier they now have a shut down defender to compliment their scorers. Do they have enough depth and size to scare a top west team.. or will they burn out in the first round in typical grizzle fashion?

bholly
03-11-2011, 03:33 AM
The Sixers are getting a lot of love recently, and I like to think we have a shot of making some noise, especially if we move up a spot or two.

But the team who I think are getting the least love relative to how dangerous they are is Memphis. They're a talented talented team, and can surprise people by forcing turnovers like crazy and scoring from almost any position. They have some nice scalps recently, too (wins vsOKC, @Dallas, vsSAS in the last 10 days).
They're only 2 games out of 5th, so they could concievably play any top 4 team in the first round. It sucks for them that the top 3 or 4 are so strong, but if they can manage to get themselves into a matchup with a team they feel they match up well against, then I think they could surprise some people, even if they'd have a tough time winning first round series against those top teams.

gbrl
03-11-2011, 04:16 AM
The Sixers are getting a lot of love recently, and I like to think we have a shot of making some noise, especially if we move up a spot or two.

But the team who I think are getting the least love relative to how dangerous they are is Memphis. They're a talented talented team, and can surprise people by forcing turnovers like crazy and scoring from almost any position. They have some nice scalps recently, too (wins vsOKC, @Dallas, vsSAS in the last 10 days).
They're only 2 games out of 5th, so they could concievably play any top 4 team in the first round. It sucks for them that the top 3 or 4 are so strong, but if they can manage to get themselves into a matchup with a team they feel they match up well against, then I think they could surprise some people, even if they'd have a tough time winning first round series against those top teams.

agree with both especially the grizzlies they went 3-1 against dallas and okc they split with the lakers and went 1-2 against the spurs with one loss being in overtime

shizzle09
03-11-2011, 04:20 AM
Portland

NBA-GMaster
03-11-2011, 04:34 AM
Knicks in the east and Blazers in the west

Minimal
03-11-2011, 06:47 AM
I got 2 words for ya: Trail Blazers

ManRam
03-11-2011, 11:37 AM
I think this league is a lot more deep than we give it credit for...

I think the 6ers, Nuggets, Knicks and Blazers could all push their series' deep. Not saying they'll upset whoever they face in round one (you never know), but they're all really balanced (not New York ;), but they're amazing offensively) teams. Even Memphis has looked amazing at times; they're great at home. And then there's the Hawks, who are a perennial playoff team.

king4day
03-11-2011, 11:49 AM
EDIT: Didn't realize it was just for the 5-8 current seeds.

TopsyTurvy
03-11-2011, 11:53 AM
In the East either the Sixers or the Hawks will make the largest impact. While the Knicks will win games in the playoffs, their lack of depth far outweighs the star-power they have. Give them another year or so and I'm positive I'll be singing a different tune.

AntiG
03-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Hornets. One of the league's best defenses.

Tarheels23
03-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Playoffs are about half court tempo, defense and depth..... 76ers and Grizz