PDA

View Full Version : Weird Kevin Love Plays

Anilyzer
03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
I was watching ESPN last night, and they were showing highlights of Kevin Love setting another consequtive double-double record.

There were a couple of plays that seemed extremely odd: both times, one of Minnesotas point guards chucked up a total airball, and Love caught it near his hip under the hoop, then went back up for a layup. Both times the announcer said "ANOTHER offensive rebound for Kevin Love, who is breaking all kinds of records!"

My question is... how often is this actually occurring... I mean how bad are Minnesota's shooters anyway... and is it common to count catching airballs from your own team as rebounds? Is it possible this could be another John Stockton type of thing, where everytime he passed the ball to Karl Malone it counted as an assist? Does KLove get significantly more rebounds tabulated when he plays home games? ok thank you have a nice day

Anilyzer
03-10-2011, 09:21 PM
also I noticed in other highlights that KLove doesn't seem to be "sweeping the glass" for rebounds... many of his rebounds seem to occur when the missed shot falls all the way to the ground and he picks it up. I mean it's still good that he gets position for the rebound but again, when I started hearing all this talk of Kevin Love and 25 rebound games, I started looking at more video of it and to be honest I laughed out loud when I first saw some of this. Does anybody have any theories on just what the heck is going on here?

wesbeasflynn
03-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I was watching ESPN last night, and they were showing highlights of Kevin Love setting another consequtive double-double record.

There were a couple of plays that seemed extremely odd: both times, one of Minnesotas point guards chucked up a total airball, and Love caught it near his hip under the hoop, then went back up for a layup. Both times the announcer said "ANOTHER offensive rebound for Kevin Love, who is breaking all kinds of records!"

My question is... how often is this actually occurring... I mean how bad are Minnesota's shooters anyway... and is it common to count catching airballs from your own team as rebounds? Is it possible this could be another John Stockton type of thing, where everytime he passed the ball to Karl Malone it counted as an assist? Does KLove get significantly more rebounds tabulated when he plays home games? ok thank you have a nice day

If any player in the nba catches an airball it counts as a rebound!It does seem like he has basketball magnets in his hands though I've seen a lot of wierd rebounds for instance off beasley's hands and then darko's forehead right to him!

Anilyzer
03-10-2011, 09:22 PM
If any player in the nba catches an airball it counts as a rebound!

Well... exactly where do they draw the line between an "airball" and an "alley oop" or a low post pass? ok thanks

Anilyzer
03-10-2011, 09:23 PM
also he seems to catch an amazing number of airballs

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-10-2011, 09:24 PM
stop hating:facepalm:

PurpleJesus
03-10-2011, 09:25 PM

what are you talking about?

brandonwarne52
03-10-2011, 09:26 PM
This thread is hilarious.

ly stupid.

wesbeasflynn
03-10-2011, 09:26 PM

seems like you've caught your share of balls in your lifetime too.I mean airballs.

PurpleJesus
03-10-2011, 09:27 PM
you have a link to all these airballs he catches, or any stats about it? I watch close to every game, and i dont see this happening an unusual amount at all

Swashcuff
03-10-2011, 09:28 PM
stop hating:facepalm:

This

Swashcuff
03-10-2011, 09:28 PM
seems like you've caught your share of balls in your lifetime too.I mean airballs.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

now that is some funny ish

Geargo Wallace
03-10-2011, 09:38 PM
this guy made more posts in his own thread than all of us combined.

K Love is a stud on glass. enough said.

bklynny67
03-10-2011, 09:39 PM
his teammates also try to help pad Love's stats. if u watch them play, other guys basically block out the other teams players and dont really try to go for the rebound and just let Love get as many as possible.

PurpleJesus
03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
his teammates also try to help pad Love's stats. if u watch them play, other guys basically block out the other teams players and dont really try to go for the rebound and just let Love get as many as possible.

lol...ok Mr. Conspiracy. You watch a lot of wolves games do you? I dont buy that one bit...why would anyone other than a wolves fan watch them at this moment?

Havoc Wreaker
03-10-2011, 09:42 PM
LoLThread Alert!!!!

Sync
03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
And your trying to convince NBA is rigggggggged?

redsox0717
03-10-2011, 09:54 PM
It it helps the stat sheet, KLove is all over it.

Don't ask him how to win games though.

Twinsfan24
03-10-2011, 09:58 PM

Dont ask Garnett or Pierce how to win games either, They didnt win **** until the "big 3." If you watch any game Love is trying his hardest every game and doesnt give up its not his fault the rest of the team is not helping..... Garnett never got us out of the first round with better role players. I do not blame love at all.

PurpleJesus
03-10-2011, 10:00 PM

yup...even though love is putting up numbers that havent been seen in 30 years, his team doesnt win, so he sucks...all these players put up good numbers too, but because their team is below .500, they all suck. Blake is garbage, Love is garbage, Jon Wall is garbage, Tyreke Evans is garbage, eric gordon is garbage, stephen curry is garbage, monta ellis is garbage....:facepalm:

Mauersota
03-10-2011, 10:02 PM
The only time that his teammates visibly tried helping him was the last game, when he was injured and the streak was on the line. Otherwise just about everything he gets is earned, and not because his teammates suck.

Hawkeye15
03-10-2011, 10:11 PM
if you don't like the way Love rebounds, than simply change the channel bro. God forbid a guy hustle to the rim when his guards shoot, to clean up the potential miss (btw, Luke is top 10 in the NBA in 3 pt shooting, and doesn't miss a lot of shots, but great insight).

evadatam5150
03-10-2011, 10:14 PM

Yeah because most NBA players are so unselfish that they'd rather see Love's stock and marketability go up whilst they languish in complete and total anonymity thus killing their chances for a fat payday... :bang:

Bishnoff
03-10-2011, 10:15 PM
It's great to watch a player who can actually box out and read where a shot is going to fall, as opposed to all the freakish athletes whose rebounding numbers aren't a reflection of their rebounding ability but their height, wingspan, & vertical leap.

Why hate on a guy who is actually a great rebounder?

stawka
03-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Why does PSD hate on a player that's harmless, works hard, doesn't talk ****, gets dirty, and sets records?!

MinnesotaMagic
03-10-2011, 11:29 PM
First of all bashing on KG makes me do this :facepalm: because it's not exactly his fault we only gave him a supporting cast one year.

Second, you can all hate on KLove all you want but he's not leading the league in rebounds per game by accident. KLove does his part to help the wolves win... just nobody else does.

PurpleJesus
03-10-2011, 11:35 PM
^^^whoes hating on KG?

twin4life
03-10-2011, 11:59 PM
yall don't watch wolves basketball enough. Guy is a beast on all th boards. He hustles all the way down court to rebound over 3 defenders who wait for the ball.yea he caught a few air balls but would that really effect his 21 boards?? No..

eric1501
03-11-2011, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=Anilyzer;17072203]also I noticed in other highlights that KLove doesn't seem to be "sweeping the glass" for rebounds... many of his rebounds seem to occur when the missed shot falls all the way to the ground and he picks it up. I mean it's still good that he gets position for the rebound but again, when I started hearing all this talk of Kevin Love and 25 rebound games, I started looking at more video of it and to be honest I laughed out loud when I first saw some of this. Does anybody have any theories on just what the heck is going on here?

Has anyone answered your question the way you wanted them to yet? Top 20 worst thread in PSD history and thats a tough Top 20 to get on.

cwilson21
03-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Why does PSD hate on a player that's harmless, works hard, doesn't talk ****, gets dirty, and sets records?!

Because that player doesn't play for their team.

Anilyzer
03-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Has anyone answered your question the way you wanted them to yet? Top 20 worst thread in PSD history and thats a tough Top 20 to get on.

I have double doubles in the top 20

Anilyzer
03-11-2011, 01:20 AM
It's great to watch a player who can actually box out and read where a shot is going to fall, as opposed to all the freakish athletes whose rebounding numbers aren't a reflection of their rebounding ability but their height, wingspan, & vertical leap.

Why hate on a guy who is actually a great rebounder?

Ok, first of all... I certainly wasn't "hating" on Kevin Love. He is a fine player, and he's also from UCLA. So it's all good. And I'm not necessarily saying that he plays "below the rim" or even that he seems to luck out sometimes this season with the ball falling right into his hands. I mean as I think I've stated on the Kevin Love $70M thread, Kevin love has a great nose for the ball--the kind of talent that Dennis Rodman parlayed into superstardom. If KLove stays in the weight room and gets a bit leaner and stronger, he could maybe be some kind of Rodman in the future.

Now, I don't see him using Kung Fu grip and crushing teams like Rodman once did... and like I said, when I looked at some of the film I did kind of laugh because of A. airballs B. uncontested rebounds C. ground rebounds D. lucky rebounds... I mean I guess some people have said he just goes for the rebound and doesn't defend... but like for instance in the Indiana game it seemed like everyone was missing everything and the KLove got some rebounds catching airballs from his own PG. And no one has explained to me what the rules difference between a pass and an airball caught by your own player is.

It's getting interesting though so I will watch more of his games definitely, but I still can't totally figure it out just yet though...

//KLove 31 rebounds vs Knicks, with music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_pjPTfko48

//more of why Love is such a big hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmhPe3R2FOs

Minimal
03-11-2011, 06:53 AM
1. Fast paced team
2. Low FG%
3. No great rebounders around

This all results in high number of Rebounds.

topdog
03-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Ok, first of all... I certainly wasn't "hating" on Kevin Love. He is a fine player, and he's also from UCLA. So it's all good. And I'm not necessarily saying that he plays "below the rim" or even that he seems to luck out sometimes this season with the ball falling right into his hands. I mean as I think I've stated on the Kevin Love $70M thread, Kevin love has a great nose for the ball--the kind of talent that Dennis Rodman parlayed into superstardom. If KLove stays in the weight room and gets a bit leaner and stronger, he could maybe be some kind of Rodman in the future.

Now, I don't see him using Kung Fu grip and crushing teams like Rodman once did... and like I said, when I looked at some of the film I did kind of laugh because of A. airballs B. uncontested rebounds C. ground rebounds D. lucky rebounds... I mean I guess some people have said he just goes for the rebound and doesn't defend... but like for instance in the Indiana game it seemed like everyone was missing everything and the KLove got some rebounds catching airballs from his own PG. And no one has explained to me what the rules difference between a pass and an airball caught by your own player is.

It's getting interesting though so I will watch more of his games definitely, but I still can't totally figure it out just yet though...

//KLove 31 rebounds vs Knicks, with music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_pjPTfko48

//more of why Love is such a big hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmhPe3R2FOs

Difference is a little bit subjective but I'm sure if I threw you out there to judge you wouldn't have to hard of a time finding a difference on most plays.

Honestly, it sounds like you just watched the Indy game when he was hobbled and everyone was missing everything as he went for the record.

Love does play below the rim but he gets his hand up to disrupt other rebounders and tip the ball to an area where he can corrale it. He also uses his body to establish space before the rebound so other guys' length and athleticism are out of position.

magichatnumber9
03-11-2011, 08:42 AM
I want to see Kevin Love play for a good coach and a good team.

DodgerBulls
03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
did you put into consideration that his good, oh wait, good is an understatement, EXCELLENT POSITIONING?

Madtown22
03-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Rumor has it Love paid off all the T-Wolves guards off. Ensuring that they will shoot air balls so he can get the board! source the author of this thread. TOOL!

Swashcuff
03-11-2011, 10:04 AM
1. Fast paced team
2. Low FG%

I can name you at least 50 different teams in the last 25 years who have those 3 same characteristics in which NO player averaged more than 13 rebounds per game.

Madtown22
03-11-2011, 10:08 AM
I can name you at least 50 different teams in the last 25 years who have those 3 same characteristics in which NO player averaged more than 13 rebounds per game.

Exactly, If it were so easy to average 21-13 and do it for 50+ games in a row then it would have been done many times in the past 30 years. Give the man credit.

Swashcuff
03-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Exactly, If it were so easy to average 21-13 and do it for 50+ games in a row then it would have been done many times in the past 30 years. Give the man credit.

Over the course of the NBA's lifetime paced has slowed and FG%s have gone up and yet still very few (especially in the modern era) have been able to do what Love is doing this season.

Poeple need to stop being ignorant and give the man his due.

Most career games with 20 points 20 rebounds since 1986

1) Charles Barkley: 37 in sixteen seasons
2) Hakeem Olajuwon: 35 in eighteen seasons
3) Shaquille O'Neal: 34 in nineteen seasons
4) Dwight Howard: 31 in seven seasons

Kevin Love 11 so far this season. 4 of which have been 30+ and 20+ and of course one of those the 30 and 30. Pau is the only other player to have do it while scoring 30.

The rest of the league put together has 17 and the next closest persons to Love are Randolph and Dwight with 5 each.

What he is doing is amazing.

PurpleJesus
03-11-2011, 11:41 AM
1. Fast paced team
2. Low FG%

wolves are a fast paced team, yes, and also, other than love, you are right, they don't have great rebounders...but I', pretty sure the FG% on the wolves is up to par.

and like others said, their have been plenty of teams that have these characteristics, yet no one in 30 years has done what love is doing.

La11
03-11-2011, 11:58 AM
why can't kevin get any love?

Minimal
03-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't say Kevin Love is a bad rebounder, he is a great rebounder and deserves some love. I'm just saying that those 3 factors add him around 1-2 additional RPG. Do you really believe he is a better rebounder than Dwight? I don't believe myself. I want to see what he does on the great team.
If we are looking at rebounds than I think we are all forgetting Dennis Rodman who was on the great teams and averaged 18,7 RPG playing in Detroit.

Minimal
03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
wolves are a fast paced team, yes, and also, other than love, you are right, they don't have great rebounders...but I', pretty sure the FG% on the wolves is up to par.

and like others said, their have been plenty of teams that have these characteristics, yet no one in 30 years has done what love is doing.
Timberwolves have 3rd worst FG% this year after Bucks and Cavaliers with .437 FG%.
They are 1st in pace with 96.5.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2011.html

VikesTwinsWolve
03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
1. Fast paced team
2. Low FG%

2012 posts since the decision lol you've been busy! If love and bosh grabbed boards on the same team. Bosh would starve like the skinny pansy he is. :D

Minimal
03-11-2011, 01:50 PM
2012 posts since the decision lol you've been busy! If love and bosh grabbed boards on the same team. Bosh would starve like the skinny pansy he is. :D
Can't disagree on this one. Bosh is build for the offense and defense, Love for rebounding.

WolvesJagsOs
03-11-2011, 04:09 PM

this is totally false lol.

WolvesJagsOs
03-11-2011, 04:10 PM

every post ive seen of yours on here is you hating Kevin Love. If thats all your gonna do, why post? all it does it start up fights with people.

WolvesJagsOs
03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
1. Fast paced team
2. Low FG%

Not many teams have more than 1 great rebounder. Does D12 really have great rebounders around him

WolvesJagsOs
03-11-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't say Kevin Love is a bad rebounder, he is a great rebounder and deserves some love. I'm just saying that those 3 factors add him around 1-2 additional RPG. Do you really believe he is a better rebounder than Dwight? I don't believe myself. I want to see what he does on the great team.
If we are looking at rebounds than I think we are all forgetting Dennis Rodman who was on the great teams and averaged 18,7 RPG playing in Detroit.

haha, yeah he is a better rebounder than him. Kevin Love isnt 7'0, he isnt built like a monster man like D12 lol. He gets his rebounds by getting good position, not just being bigger and stronger than everyone.

iliketurtles24
03-11-2011, 04:40 PM
dumb thread

stawka
03-11-2011, 11:06 PM
OMG I hate Love. He is injured, played this game and got another double double. Such a stat whore, I hate him OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGBROZ! :rolleyes:

Sadds The Gr8
03-11-2011, 11:14 PM
how much stupid threads u gonna make today?

Anilyzer
03-11-2011, 11:33 PM
how much stupid threads u gonna make today?

don't think in terms of days--the threads never sleep bro

Anilyzer
03-11-2011, 11:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9HcvC8iRaI

heyman321
03-12-2011, 03:31 AM
David Blaine should do more NBA commercials.

"Kevin Love, he seems like he is a rebounding machine, but is he acutally? *robot arms come out of nowhere* " hheheheh

DoJoTheSlasher
03-12-2011, 03:57 AM
Then why don't other players "catch alot of airballs"?

Swashcuff
03-12-2011, 10:05 AM

All I am saying is that despite those 3 factors that you just mentioned other players throughout the history of the league have not been able to do what Kevin Love has been able to do even when playing on a higher paced team with lower FG%s.

You say those factors add 1-2 additional RPGs to Love well then that should hold true for all the players in league history who's averaged anything near 10+ rebounds. Not exclusive to just Love because he is not the only player to benefit from such factors.

You mention Rodman and Dwight, did I at any time say he was better than them. Rodman is IMO the best rebounder in the history of the game and Howard is still the best in the league because of the fact that he has been able to rebound at a high rate for a prolonged period. When Love is able to keep at this rate for the next 1-2 seasons I'd crown him the best in that regard.

You say you want to see what he does on a great team. I am willing to be he's going to be even more effecient and be viewed as a more valuable player than he already is. He is IMO the perfect offensive role player (doesn't mean that one day he won't develop into a #1 type option just isn't there yet but it would be ignorant to rule him out) given his size skill set. The fact that he's being DOUBLE TEAMED when boxing out tells you how much other teams pay attention to Love more so than anyone on that wolves team.

I will tell you something. Popular misconception is that Kevin Love is such a fantastic rebounder because of bad teammates and a high pace but that couldn't be more wrong. Kevin Love is such a fantastic rebounder because he works HARD on the glass. He literally fights to the death to get good rebounding position and boxes out better than anyone in the game IMO. It isn't by chance or scenario that he's doing so well its by hard work and determination.

You said his team was a bad shooting team right?

Tell me this his ORB per game/% this year is the lowest of his career despite the fact that his team is shooting the worst overall FG% and playing at it's highest pace since he's been a Timberwolve. If that was indeed a factor shouldn't his ORB increase more so than drop? I'll tell you what, never have I seen a player who spends near 30% of his team's offensive possesions camped beyond the 3point line and STILL average over 4 ORB per.

He is a fantastic rebounder. PERIOD!