PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson disses Miami's offense.

dnewguy
03-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Speaking Thursday before his Los Angeles Lakers visited Miami, Jackson likened the way the Heat play to an Xbox video game and said they rely too much on 1-on-1 basketball.

Im not a big fan of the style that Miami plays, Jackson said. I like to see everybody involved in the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-heat-jacksonspeaks

Reactions.....

John Walls Era
03-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Agree with his quote not with the Best Coach Title :hide:

210Don
03-10-2011, 08:13 PM
best coach ever????? wtf

shizzle09
03-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Best coach of all time??? lmfao

bovice163
03-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Nothing new here, if you watched the Heat play just one game you would no that they have no offense.

John Walls Era
03-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Give me Popovich. But yeah the Heats lack of ball movement is boring.

bulls_world23
03-10-2011, 08:21 PM
What else is new

GeekInThePink
03-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I'd rather have Popovich, but I agree with what Phil Jackson said.

John Walls Era
03-10-2011, 08:39 PM
This is kind of funny though, since the Lakers go iso a lot in the 4th.

asandhu23
03-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Red Auerbuch says "what the ****"

smith&wesson
03-10-2011, 08:44 PM
he has the most ships. why wouldnt he be the best coach of all time ?
red comes 2nd.

and miami place one on one ball because theyre suporting cast isnt offering much. they have no choice really. cant wait till haslems back fully healthy.

GREATNESS ONE
03-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Best coach? It's not like he has the most rings....

GREATNESS ONE
03-10-2011, 08:46 PM
red comes 2nd.

Yea it doesn't count because he had Jordan and Shaq and Kobe and we all know how many rings they won before and after Phil.... Sheesh get with it man.

Jenceman
03-10-2011, 08:48 PM
He's easily the best coach of all time. 11 goddamn championships, 13 finals appearances, the best winning percentage ever?

evadatam5150
03-10-2011, 08:49 PM

Someone clearly watches way too much ESPN..

The triangle prevents a lot of iso, not to say it never happens as Kobe will take over games from time to time.. But a lot..?? Nope.. There's a lot of ball movement from this team from the 1st to the 4th...

GREATNESS ONE
03-10-2011, 08:51 PM

The triangle prevents a lot of iso, not to say it never happens as Kobe will take over games from time to time.. But a lot..?? Nope.. There's a lot of ball movement from this team from the 1st to the 4th...

:clap: lol I didn't even respond to it but found it amusing.

Carey
03-10-2011, 09:16 PM
PJ is a brilliant hater, classic zen master

John Walls Era
03-10-2011, 09:30 PM

Someone doesn't watch the Lakers... my roommate is a huge fan and thats all I get to watch [not that the Wiz games are fun]. Triangle is great, but when theres 6 minutes left, the Lakers put the ball in Kobes hand and Kobe CHOOSES what to do.

jim51990
03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
best coach = hilarious

Korman12
03-10-2011, 09:49 PM
I was wondering how Auerbach thought about this.

redsox0717
03-10-2011, 09:50 PM
If you're going to make a topic like this, is it really necessary to include such an opinion in the topic title? I'm not going to attack you for saying Phil is the best coach of all time, I'm just saying it de-rails the topic on hand and just sparks controversial comments

jimm120
03-10-2011, 10:00 PM
best coach ever????? wtf

I know, lol.

The guy was blessed to have the BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE EVER in MJ (though he sucks! Go Ewing!).

Then, he had a chance to have Shaq during his prime (a top 5, imo, player in the league ever) and a young Kobe (as much as I hate him, a top 10 overall ever).

Not necessarily the best, but the most blessed with the most of the elite talent out there. Hell, even with a Prime Kobe, he couldn't do anything without SHaq. it took a "deal" to get a current top 10 player in Pau Gasol (though not even close to top anything ever...yet) to make his team do what he did again.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Red Auerbach is the greatest NBA coach of all time.

Bos_Sports4Life
03-10-2011, 10:10 PM
* Red Retired when he was in his late 40's, If he really wanted to win more titles, he could have, instead he focused all of his energy into being GM, where he became without question the Greatest GM in NBA History

Now on topic, I heard like a month ago, the heat were mid pack in iso's, unless i read something completely wrong haha

Jenceman
03-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Well fact is, he didn't, so Phil is the best coach of all time.

Fnom11
03-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Who knows, maybe one day he'll figure out how to play against an Xbox offense?

championships
03-10-2011, 11:47 PM
I love how people never give the G.O.A.T his credit. Became Jordans coach when Jordan was 27. All of a sudden 6 titles. Shaq came to the Lakers first and they couldn't win any titles. Phil shows up, immediate three peat. It's one thing to have Talent, It's another knowing how to use it. If PJ were to become Brons coach, what do you think would happen. It's not just his ships that makes him great, Its all of his stats through out his career. Check out his Bio sometime.

LayZbone
03-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Phil's a great coach. I personally think he's a notch below Pop, but they're easily the current top 2. As far as his comments, yes we need to move the ball more and get everyone involved. I think we match up well with LA though.

Confusious
03-11-2011, 01:08 AM
And people think Jackson is going to Miami next year. Lols...

cubswin25
03-11-2011, 02:13 AM
Well fact is, he didn't, so Phil is the best coach of all time.

This, people can laugh about Phil being the best coach ever. But he has done things coaches have never done. Hell forget the championships, how many coaches won 72 games in a regular season? That Bulls team was good, but talent wise wasn't THAT GOOD. It basically had two superstars, one stud defender/rebounder and a bunch of good role players. Yes it helps having Jordan, Pippen, Kobe and Shaq on your teams. But the Lakers couldn't get over the hump with Kobe and Shaq until Phil took over. Same thing goes for the Bulls, which is why they fired Doug Collins and fired Phil in the first place. Not to mention Phil took two different Bulls teams and two different Lakers teams to at least back to back championships.

Remember the 95-96 Bulls team was very different from the 92-93 Bulls team outside of Pippen/Jordan. Same thing goes with Kobe/Shaq/Fisher Lakers compared to Kobe/Gasol/Fisher Lakers. My point is you don't win just with superstars, and there was a lot of turn over with role players between championship runs and he still was able to win. So I don't know how you can't call him the greatest coach of all time. The only negative thing you can say about him is he had too good of players. Well I'm sorry but no coach is going to win that many championships without hall of fame stud players. What Phil did with those players is take them from guys who filled up a stat sheet and taught them how to win. I could only imagne what Phil could do with a talent like Lebron.

DerekRE_3
03-11-2011, 02:15 AM
red comes 2nd.

and miami place one on one ball because theyre suporting cast isnt offering much. they have no choice really. cant wait till haslems back fully healthy.

So Bill Russell is better than MJ?

JPHX
03-11-2011, 02:30 AM
i think the colonel should stick to the chicken.

ElMarroAfamado
03-11-2011, 02:49 AM
I agree with the best coach ever. I have played NBA2k11 online and people pick the Heat and I pick the Clippers. It is soooo similar its funny he said this. People online (just like the Heat in real life) ..well all they try to do ALL GAME is dunk and lay the ball up with Lebron James as their PG alllll game...here and there giving it to Wade to do the same thing. When people like me know that this is all they wanna do, (since this is what the Heat do in real life) you clog the paint and then when they cant dunk or lay the ball up with Wade or James they pass it out to open shooters, who even in the game, MISS.
haha

nickdymez
03-11-2011, 02:58 AM

11 championships buddy.... 13 finals appearances.. who has a better resume?

knightstemplar
03-11-2011, 03:48 AM
best coach ever????? wtf

best coach = hilarious

lol who is then

11 rings
13 finals appereances
hmmmmm...

knightstemplar
03-11-2011, 03:50 AM
So Bill Russell is better than MJ?

russell won those rings in the 50s/60s era, jordan won his the 90s...big difference

gbrl
03-11-2011, 03:57 AM
russell won those rings in the 50s/60s era, jordan won his the 90s...big difference

so the ring argument only applies when it suits you

TylerSL
03-11-2011, 09:05 AM
like Wade said "who cares"

TylerSL
03-11-2011, 09:07 AM
so the ring argument only applies when it suits you

IMHO there should be no ring arguement. Rings are a team stat, it takes an entire coaching staff, and 12-15 players on roster (depends on how many players you have) to win it.....

TylerSL
03-11-2011, 09:11 AM
lol who is then

11 rings
13 finals appereances
hmmmmm...

who had MJ, Shaq, and Kobe??????? 3 top 10 players ever.......

To answer your question, Greg Popovich

JARVIS123
03-11-2011, 09:30 AM
why he keep making those bs comments the heat keep pounding on his lakers.victory vs comment.sorry phil but i'm cool with the victory.plus he has a bigger problem on his hands.in clutch situations he need to talk to kobe bout taking shots from damn near half court hoping for a prayer.

td0tsfinest
03-11-2011, 09:36 AM
I feel like this thread has been completely derailed with the choice in title.

The Miami offense does have issues; outside of the big 3, they are getting next to nothing from their role players and their half-court sets need some fine tuning. Jackson is known for playing mind games, this just looks like another one of his games.

magichatnumber9
03-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Red could won 5-6 more championships. Phil's corpse stayed with the job because Red's cigar traumatized him once.

magichatnumber9
03-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Oh yeah I love when a team take Phil Jackson's words and shoves them down his throat.

Caution1011
03-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Lmao at the Zen master. This comes from a coach whose star player goes iso whenever he wants. He says forget the triangle and fades away from 3 pt land. Come on Phil you are you better than this.

jezzyman05
03-11-2011, 09:51 AM
red comes 2nd.

That's an inflated stat he has had Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe all players that are on the 50 GOAT list to account for 9 of his titles man no I don't base it off of championships

jezzyman05
03-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Who knows, maybe one day he'll figure out how to play against an Xbox offense?

:laugh: burned!!!!!

jezzyman05
03-11-2011, 10:05 AM
This, people can laugh about Phil being the best coach ever. But he has done things coaches have never done. Hell forget the championships, how many coaches won 72 games in a regular season? That Bulls team was good, but talent wise wasn't THAT GOOD. It basically had two superstars, one stud defender/rebounder and a bunch of good role players. Yes it helps having Jordan, Pippen, Kobe and Shaq on your teams. But the Lakers couldn't get over the hump with Kobe and Shaq until Phil took over. Same thing goes for the Bulls, which is why they fired Doug Collins and fired Phil in the first place. Not to mention Phil took two different Bulls teams and two different Lakers teams to at least back to back championships.

Remember the 95-96 Bulls team was very different from the 92-93 Bulls team outside of Pippen/Jordan. Same thing goes with Kobe/Shaq/Fisher Lakers compared to Kobe/Gasol/Fisher Lakers. My point is you don't win just with superstars, and there was a lot of turn over with role players between championship runs and he still was able to win. So I don't know how you can't call him the greatest coach of all time. The only negative thing you can say about him is he had too good of players. Well I'm sorry but no coach is going to win that many championships without hall of fame stud players. What Phil did with those players is take them from guys who filled up a stat sheet and taught them how to win. I could only imagne what Phil could do with a talent like Lebron.

And how many teams have this, come on man! the Bulls of the 90's were a dynasty Micheal Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant were the perfect "big 3", Jordan scored Points, Pippen was the glue guy and Horace played defense and crashed the boards....when Jordan came back he had Rodman to play defense and crash the boards so you didnt really lose anything, in fact Rodman was a better rebounder, so its was a improvement.

The Lakers were the same with Del Harris they had Kobe and Shaq, but Kobe was still too young to score big points, and Eddie Jones was a turn over machine, when Phil arrived the lakers got Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, and later in 2001 Horace Grant to hepl the boards and that lead to 3 championships, (Kobe becoming a star was also a main factor) those Lakers teams were dominating and mainly because Shaq was a glass eater and a scorer something that dosen't happen too often and is something that this league hasn't had since the Olajuwon/Robinson/Shaq hey day"

I give Phil Jackson credit for being one of the top coach this league has ever seen but to call him best ever is absurd

magichatnumber9
03-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I was going to say If Phil Jackson is the best coach of all time then Bill Russell is #1 Greatest Basketball player of all time.

TheDiggler
03-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Best coach ever lmao.

One of the best coaches. Maybe ...

I think coaches and players should care more about their own problems, than rate other teams and call the bad. But, he's right. Miami still needs to find itself, or make decent change (trade Bosh f.e.) Chemistry and ball movement, which are basics, don't look good ...

GREATNESS ONE
03-11-2011, 11:00 AM
I find it funny people diss the coach who won more than half of the titles in the last 2 decades.

nickdymez
03-11-2011, 11:09 AM
This thread is full of people who would kill for Phill jackson to be there coach, he isnt, so they hate. I dont know how a man who won 11 championships can be hated on so much... clowns..

Bos_Sports4Life
03-11-2011, 03:46 PM
I was going to say If Phil Jackson is the best coach of all time then Bill Russell is #1 Greatest Basketball player of all time.

IMO, Russell could be argued. 5 League mvp's/11 rings in 13 yrs, He has as many mvp's as mj..Russell also won 2 ncaa titles with SF which includes a 55 game winning streak

Ripper Gein
03-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Red Auerbuch says "what the ****"

Now THATS Funny:D

Bos_Sports4Life
03-11-2011, 03:52 PM
This thread is full of people who would kill for Phill jackson to be there coach, he isnt, so they hate. I dont know how a man who won 11 championships can be hated on so much... clowns..

People are not "hating on him." saying hes not clearly the greatest ever isn't hating. Wooden/Red also accomplished a TON. Heck, I think if given the talent phil had, pop/Larry brown would of the amount of rings phil has, Phil is a top tier coach that had The greatest talent in the league, I don't remember 1 single time he was the coach of the underdog team in the finals...

Ripper Gein
03-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Red Auerbach is the greatest NBA coach of all time.

* Red Retired when he was in his late 40's, If he really wanted to win more titles, he could have, instead he focused all of his energy into being GM, where he became without question the Greatest GM in NBA History

Now on topic, I heard like a month ago, the heat were mid pack in iso's, unless i read something completely wrong haha

This is LOL worthy...:p

tdunk21
03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
phil jackson is a good coach and all, but he runs his mouth like a teenager....

pd1dish
03-11-2011, 04:47 PM

yeah but the difference is that Kobe actually hits his shots in the clutch, so obviously if the game is on the line, you are going to go to Kobe and let him work his magic. with the Heat, they go iso the whole game and when its crunch time, they dont make the shots.

lakeshow3peat
03-11-2011, 04:55 PM
shout out to all the lakers nation we know phil is the best in our minds quit trying to argue with others . As long as they know phil is a good coach that all that matters . They do have good points. But i wanna know the definition of best and what it clearly means to be the best ? I find debates between Kobe and lebron and others just as this one with phil vs the other coachs.

AntiG
03-11-2011, 05:04 PM
lol @ the Lakers for losing to "X-Box."

lakeshow3peat
03-11-2011, 05:12 PM
lol @ the Lakers for losing to "X-Box."

lol at the celtics for losing perkins or giving him away :clap:

LAKERMANIA
03-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Red was a great coach, but damn there was barely any competition against the Celtics.. Red not being the Greatest Coach of all time is the same reason why many people believe Bill Russell isn't the greatest player of all time, because he coached in an era where there were two teams you needed to beat to win the NBA Championship.. PJ went through the 90s and 2000s, an era with more competitive teams and more competition in general..

Oh and winning 11 championships compared to 9 also helps..

At least Red is a good argument against Phil and vice versa.. but Popovich? I don't even want to hear or read his name anywhere near Phil's..

tdunk21
03-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Red was a great coach, but damn there was barely any competition against the Celtics.. Red not being the Greatest Coach of all time is the same reason why many people believe Bill Russell isn't the greatest player of all time, because he coached in an era where there were two teams you needed to beat to win the NBA Championship.. PJ went through the 90s and 2000s, an era with more competitive teams and more competition in general..

At least Red is a good argument against Phil and vice versa.. but Popovich? I don't even want to hear or read his name anywhere near Phil's..

i thought mods were supposed to be unbiased...

yeah true pop is nowhere close to phil jackson, but give popovich a jordan, a pippen, a kobe and a shaq.....

LAKERMANIA
03-11-2011, 05:41 PM
i thought mods were supposed to be unbiased...

yeah true pop is nowhere close to phil jackson, but give popovich a jordan, a pippen, a kobe and a shaq.....

A) No one is truly 'unbiased' to begin with..

B) If you agree with me that Pop is nowhere NEAR PJ at this moment, what am I biased towards?

C) Jordan didn't get passed the Pistons until PJ came along, let alone win a ring..Oh and lets not forget all the rings Shaq had won before he came to the Lakers, Oh, wait.. I forgot...

D) And lets not make it look like Red had the 60s version of the LA Clippers to coach and won 8 in a row.. He had a pretty star-studded team in an era with little to no competition...

shizzle09
03-11-2011, 05:41 PM
If Kobe, Jordan, Shaq and the memphis grizzlies dont exsist Phil has 0 titles. Phil is the winningest coach when it comes to titles but is he the type of coach to take a semi decent team to the playoffs? nope. Not every part of coaching is winning the title. Good/great coaches sometimes never get the players that carry them to the title so they end up falling short. Phil is a great coach but the best ever? How about Pat Riley? took the knicks and Heat to 50 win seasons in his "first"year as the coach. Won a title in 06 with a bunch of washed up players like Gary Payton, Antoine Walker, Jason Williams. Not saying Riley is the greatest but he surely showed he should be considered.

lakeshow3peat
03-11-2011, 05:47 PM
If Kobe, Jordan, Shaq and the memphis grizzlies dont exsist Phil has 0 titles. Phil is the winningest coach when it comes to titles but is he the type of coach to take a semi decent team to the playoffs? nope. Not every part of coaching is winning the title. Good/great coaches sometimes never get the players that carry them to the title so they end up falling short. Phil is a great coach but the best ever? How about Pat Riley? took the knicks and Heat to 50 win seasons in his "first"year as the coach. Won a title in 06 with a bunch of washed up players like Gary Payton, Antoine Walker, Jason Williams. Not saying Riley is the greatest but he surely showed he should be considered.

so you can make a good case of if kobe , jordan , shaq and pau didnt exist no titles but would that mean d wade and the miami heat that won it wouldnt have without shaq?

LAKERMANIA
03-11-2011, 05:47 PM
If Kobe, Jordan, Shaq and the memphis grizzlies dont exsist Phil has 0 titles. Phil is the winningest coach when it comes to titles but is he the type of coach to take a semi decent team to the playoffs? nope.
Look up the 2005-2006, 2006,-2007 seasons... In 2005-2006, he took the Lakers to the playoffs when they missed the playoffs in 2004-2005... So he took a VERY BAD TEAM... not even a decent one... to the playoffs and nearly eliminated the Suns...

Not every part of coaching is winning the title. Good/great coaches sometimes never get the players that carry them to the title so they end up falling short. Phil is a great coach but the best ever? How about Pat Riley? took the knicks and Heat to 50 win seasons in his "first"year as the coach. Won a title in 06 with a bunch of washed up players like Gary Payton, Antoine Walker, Jason Williams. Not saying Riley is the greatest but he surely showed he should be considered.
I'm sorry but it is about winning.. If you have a good team, and you are a good coach, you win... That is why Red and Phil are always 1 and 2... and coaches like Riley aren't..

Ripper Gein
03-11-2011, 05:48 PM

B) If you agree with me that Pop is nowhere NEAR PJ at this moment, what am I biased towards?

C) Jordan didn't get passed the Pistons until PJ came along, let alone win a ring..Oh and lets not forget all the rings Shaq had won before he came to the Lakers, Oh, wait.. I forgot...

D) And lets not make it look like Red had the 60s version of the LA Clippers to coach and won 8 in a row.. He had a pretty star-studded team in an era with little to no competition...

:clap:Ive been trying to make this point for years now:clap:

tdunk21
03-11-2011, 05:55 PM

"ink" was a bit unbiased ....red had a star studded team and phil won it with role players?

LAKERMANIA
03-11-2011, 05:59 PM
"ink" was a bit unbiased ....red had a star studded team and phil won it with role players?

Red had coached more Hall of famers, and they were all one one team...

And no I never said Phil won it with role players.. I don't know where you got that from

Oh and thanks for replying point B and C

tdunk21
03-11-2011, 06:05 PM

And no I never said Phil won it with role players.. I don't know where you got that from

B) ur sig
C) this point was sarcastic to begin with, any ways to address it give pop all those players he could win.....its not like phil won a ring with just shaq or kobe right.....

if red had a star studded team, phil had the greatest players of modern era...thats my point

tdunk21
03-11-2011, 06:12 PM

anyways, i dont want to derail this thread by making it a coach comparison thread....but that pop thing was uncalled for and totally unconnected to the thread title....

Bos_Sports4Life
03-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Phil has accomplished the most out of any coach However, Red is by far the better judge of talent.

*Coach and than GM of a team that won 16 titles in a 30 yr stretch With shrewed moves that included Drafting guys like Russell, havlicek, Heinson, Sam jones ect and than in the 70's drafted players like jojo white, "Undersized" Dave cowens and than in the 80's made the greatest trade of all time, trading the #1 pick for basically mchale/Parrish along with drafting bird a yr early. Sure, phil might have accomplished more as a HEAD COACH, but Red has accomplished a lot more in the NBA in general.

All in all, Red was the builder of 3 differint era's of celtic basketball Greatness

LAKERMANIA
03-11-2011, 06:25 PM
B) ur sig
Like I said, everyone is biased, I am a Laker fan, I am going to flaunt the achievements of Kobe Bryant, a player of the Lakers and that is more of a personal attack than an attack at the subject at hand..

C) this point was sarcastic to begin with, any ways to address it give pop all those players he could win.....its not like phil won a ring with just shaq or kobe right.....
Maybe, maybe not, we may never know, we can speculate all day, but WHAT IFs dont have any say in GOAT discussions.. And before you go there, I do think MJ is better than Kobe.. As of right now, I am sorry to say, Pop isn't close to Phil, he hasn't even won back to back, what makes you think he could win 6 with Jordan and just as many with the Lakers?

if red had a star studded team, phil had the greatest players of modern era...thats my point

Red had LITTLE TO NO COMPETITION... read that carefully... He practically played the same team every year in the finals... To his credit, he won, but winning in the 90s and 2000s, 11 times, is more impressive by far..

I just hate it when anything related to Lakers is played down... In any other discussion winning rings is the epitome of success, now we have a Laker that is the winning-est in something, and God forbid even he gets any acknowledgement..

LAKERMANIA
03-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Phil has accomplished the most out of any coach However, Red is by far the better judge of talent.

*Coach and than GM of a team that won 16 titles in a 30 yr stretch With shrewed moves that included Drafting guys like Russell, havlicek, Heinson, Sam jones ect and than in the 70's drafted players like jojo white, "Undersized" Dave cowens and than in the 80's made the greatest trade of all time, trading the #1 pick for basically mchale/Parrish along with drafting bird a yr early. Sure, phil might have accomplished more as a HEAD COACH, but Red has accomplished a lot more in the NBA in general.

All in all, Red was the builder of 3 differint era's of celtic basketball Greatness

That's great, but that doesn't make him a better coach, that makes him a better GM...

Lim
03-11-2011, 06:28 PM
i thought this thread title said phil jackson dies for a second

Bos_Sports4Life
03-11-2011, 06:31 PM
That's great, but that doesn't make him a better coach, that makes him a better GM...

I think they are pretty much even, when given elite talent, both coaches won it all basically everytime. Phil accomplished more, but thats only becaus Red retired a couple yrs b4 his 50th bday

LAKERMANIA
03-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I think they are pretty much even, when given elite talent, both coaches won it all basically everytime. Phil accomplished more, but thats only becaus Red retired a couple yrs b4 his 50th bday

I can agree with that..

Storch
03-11-2011, 06:34 PM
LAKERMANIA covered all bases. People are just making excuses against Phil Jackson because he had great players. But you could have great players and not win as many as he did with those players. There's been super teams in the passed and they don't always do as well as 3-peats.

shizzle09
03-11-2011, 07:44 PM
so you can make a good case of if kobe , jordan , shaq and pau didnt exist no titles but would that mean d wade and the miami heat that won it wouldnt have without shaq?

look, i'm not saying Phuil isnt a great coach. I'm simply saying to say he's the greatest simply because he's won 11 titles with the greatest players that have ever played this game is a bit of a stretch. There's coaches that never have these types of players and have alot of success. when you say the greatest coach that means he is the best coach to ever coach in the league which i do not agree with

shizzle09
03-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Look up the 2005-2006, 2006,-2007 seasons... In 2005-2006, he took the Lakers to the playoffs when they missed the playoffs in 2004-2005... So he took a VERY BAD TEAM... not even a decent one... to the playoffs and nearly eliminated the Suns...

I'm sorry but it is about winning.. If you have a good team, and you are a good coach, you win... That is why Red and Phil are always 1 and 2... and coaches like Riley aren't..

Like i just said in my previous post. Phil isa great coach but he did have those players and thats why he has 11 titles. Give Riley Jordan, Kobe, and Shaq during his prime Riley has more titles than Phil. Thats the difference between the two right now. There is no gap between Riley and Phil other than the titles he won and thats due to the players he had. Riley had the showtime lakers but he also won 50 games his first year with the knicks and the heat. The heat were nothing prior to Riley. I kno, i lived through the pre riley years when we only had Glen Rice

blastmasta26
03-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I found it odd how some people were laughing at Phil Jackson being called the best coach ever. Regardless of whether you agree or not, it's not laughable to suggest he is.

Sadds The Gr8
03-11-2011, 07:56 PM
i hate Phil but he's right.

shizzle09
03-11-2011, 07:58 PM
i hate Phil but he's right.

he was right but they lost to the heat twice?

shizzle09
03-11-2011, 07:59 PM
I found it odd how some people were laughing at Phil Jackson being called the best coach ever. Regardless of whether you agree or not, it's not laughable to suggest he is.

it's not laughable but i do not agree.

knicks4life33
03-11-2011, 08:07 PM
heat= xbox team

shizzle09
03-11-2011, 08:18 PM
heat= xbox team

dont people usually dominate when they play with this team on xbox? I never lose on xbox with this team so i guess Phil is wrong then.

Supreme LA
03-11-2011, 08:46 PM

Well, the Refs played great for you guys didn't they? Look at the final minute of that game and see if you can tell me that Kobe isn't fouled by Wade on that 3 and the shot by Artest wasn't goaltended by Z when they were down by 2. Then tell me Wade didn't also foul Kobe by pulling his arm off the rebound catch. Or do you just suggest that Kobe magically threw the ball out of bounds on purpose and he airballs a 3 pt shot, shooting it about 6 to 7 feet short of the rim when he clearly went straight up and Wade's arm clearly got all forearm.

It was a close game and easily could have gone the Lakers way had the Refs actually made those crucial calls. Wade played great and so did Kobe. Only difference was the Heat were playing at home and the refs basically looked away on two very big plays down the stretch that ultimately decided the outcome.

LAKERMANIA
03-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Like i just said in my previous post. Phil isa great coach but he did have those players and thats why he has 11 titles. Give Riley Jordan, Kobe, and Shaq during his prime Riley has more titles than Phil. Thats the difference between the two right now. There is no gap between Riley and Phil other than the titles he won and thats due to the players he had. Riley had the showtime lakers but he also won 50 games his first year with the knicks and the heat. The heat were nothing prior to Riley. I kno, i lived through the pre riley years when we only had Glen Rice

Riley had Magic Kareem and Worthy in their prime and he won 4 with them, Magic and Kareem won one without him in 1980..

Phil had MJ beginning 1990, and he couldn't win one before he came.. Phil had Kobe and Shaq in 2000, and they couldn't win one without him once again...

Phil took a Jordan-less Bulls team in 1993-1994 and they only had 2 less wins compared to the year before with MJ and they went rather far into the playoffs...

blastmasta26
03-11-2011, 09:21 PM
dont people usually dominate when they play with this team on xbox? I never lose on xbox with this team so i guess Phil is wrong then.
Actually, that proves his point.

LAKERMANIA
03-11-2011, 09:30 PM
You can lose to a team and not be a fan of the way they play...

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-12-2011, 01:18 AM

They lost to the Cavs, Bobcats, and Grizzlies also. Contgrats! The Heat are equal to those teams.

Arch Stanton
03-12-2011, 01:39 AM

The Cavs beat the Spurs twice in the regular season of '07 but got swept by the Spurs in the finals.

AIRMAR72
03-12-2011, 10:55 AM
And how many teams have this, come on man! the Bulls of the 90's were a dynasty Micheal Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant were the perfect "big 3", Jordan scored Points, Pippen was the glue guy and Horace played defense and crashed the boards....when Jordan came back he had Rodman to play defense and crash the boards so you didnt really lose anything, in fact Rodman was a better rebounder, so its was a improvement.

The Lakers were the same with Del Harris they had Kobe and Shaq, but Kobe was still too young to score big points, and Eddie Jones was a turn over machine, when Phil arrived the lakers got Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, and later in 2001 Horace Grant to hepl the boards and that lead to 3 championships, (Kobe becoming a star was also a main factor) those Lakers teams were dominating and mainly because Shaq was a glass eater and a scorer something that dosen't happen too often and is something that this league hasn't had since the Olajuwon/Robinson/Shaq hey day"

I give Phil Jackson credit for being one of the top coach this league has ever seen but to call him best ever is absurd

well said i agree but most of eddie jones turn over were from nick van exel erratic plays and the MEDIA hype kobe to be a star while guys like iverson came in and took it for short period along with timmy duncan and steve nash

xxcubs22xx
03-12-2011, 11:24 AM
And people think Jackson is going to Miami next year. Lols...

I know, I still can't believe this.

Oh wait, its the NBA forum. Anything's possible here. :facepalm:

Lake_Show2416
03-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Phil is the GOAT cuz duh, winning!!!!

but I happen to agree instead of playing fluid basketball, for some reason it seems that the Heat predetermine and take turns on who is does the scoring, they need to let it come natural