PDA

View Full Version : Is It Always the Coach?

Spurred1
03-10-2011, 05:30 AM
I've seen some team forum members expressing wishes to get rid of their team's coaches. But it doesn't seem that easy, imo.
I mean, how much responsibility falls on the players if they continue to **** up on the court? The coach can't prevent a player from making a horrific pass, or bricking last second fts.
While the coach is to come up with plays and the rotation, he does lose some control over what his players actually carry out.
When is a good time to replace the coach?

(I'm tired-sorry for the long post.)

Supreme LA
03-10-2011, 07:57 AM
No it's not SPO's fault. It's Lebron's fault. He's becoming more selfish than ever trying to prove himself as a player. SPO actually drew a great play for him against the Bulls, as it created a switch and got Lebron in an iso versus a big in Noah. Lebron just flat out got caught up trying to prove himself that he didn't even notice Bosh (a very capable midrange shooter) was wide open at the elbow for a jumper, but instead Lebrick decided to force a tough contested left handed layup instead of making the right play as so many fans used to believe he would.

magichatnumber9
03-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Yes it is.

Minimal
03-10-2011, 09:02 AM
In Miami situation, yes it's coach fault.
Just watch the video and tell me the fault isn't on Spo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1MW_PTNuZE&feature=feedu

Normal coach will say that the shot selection isn't good, that the plays aren't executed etc. Spo says the same things all over and over again. "This makes us better, we need to continue push throught" etc etc. He can't even say whats wrong with the team, because he thinks they play how they should. There is a reason why Miami was 28th in APG last year and 29th this year.
Awful coach.

SteBO
03-10-2011, 09:09 AM
At the end f the day, it falls on the players. However, everyone just wants to win, and if the players don't buy into what a coach is selling, being defiant (look at the Detroit situation), and what not, then it gets to a point where you have to say, it's time for a change, and the easy way out is firing the coach.

KnicksorBust
03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Things you can blame on the coach:
Effort
Defense
End of game execution

It's that last one that is making one particular coach look very bad lately.

Hellcrooner
03-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Coaches in Nba have a very limited influence as opposed to Fiba.
They just stand there do some changes ( not 1 by one see how the game is going and whos hot and whos not changes ) but preplaned changes where you got a 1st frotation thjen a second rotation.
The game plan is Give the ball to our "best" player and let him do what he pleases, if not posible give it to the second "best " player and let heim do what he pleases.

Anyone of us coudl be an Nba Coach.

Rentzias
03-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Coaches in Nba have a very limited influence as opposed to Fiba.
They just stand there do some changes ( not 1 by one see how the game is going and whos hot and whos not changes ) but preplaned changes where you got a 1st frotation thjen a second rotation.
The game plan is Give the ball to our "best" player and let him do what he pleases, if not posible give it to the second "best " player and let heim do what he pleases.

Anyone of us coudl be an Nba Coach.

Not true. See: last year's Nuggets. Owned Utah Jazz in the regular season (George Karl v Jerry Sloan), pwned in the playoffs (Adrian Dantley v Jerry Sloan), and it was clear that Sloan was adjusting and Dantley was not.

With the Jordan Bulls, Doug Collins exactly followed your plan of "ball to the best player," which did not work. Jackson and Winter got Jordan to buy into the Triangle; this is not to say the triangle made Jordan, but the Triangle WITH Jordan buying in made his teammates as a whole more dangerous.

It's a very narrow view to look at coaches solely from a strategic perspective, ignoring personnel management and game planning. Do you think Scottie Pippen decided to cover Mark Jackson on his own? Westhead --> Magic Johnson at Center? Coaches also lobby the league and officials to get calls, and sway those to their side.

I mean anyone of us could be an NBA player too, I just need 6 inches more height, about 20 inches more on my vert, and depth perception.

Hawkeye15
03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Things you can blame on the coach:
Effort
Defense
End of game execution

It's that last one that is making one particular coach look very bad lately.

agreed.

I will say however, that the Heat's 1-18 shooting while trailing by 2 points or less with under 10 seconds this season is a complete anomaly. Its not pure execution. LeBron could take 18 half court shots and hit at least 1. That number won't hold, its not statistically possible. So Spo can't be held completely responsible for his late game play calling when Miami is simply missing shots that they would make at a higher rate on average.

I would also not expect this putrid percentage to continue at all. I understand there are many out there who live vicariously through every Heat loss, and dream of their failure at night when you sleep, but trust me, they won't continue missing at that rate late in games. Historical statistics say entirely otherwise.