PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant: Can He Move Behind Michael Jordan for Second-Greatest NBA Player?

jumito
03-10-2011, 03:22 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/629512-kobe-bryant-can-he-move-behind-michael-jordan-for-second-greatest-nba-player#page/1

To all MJ, KOBE laker fans... Great read!

jferrell25
03-10-2011, 03:48 AM
wow, this is a dumb question. is everyone not seeing what kobe is shooting for? kobe chasing the scoring title (which he's on pace to break) , his 6th title, and people still questions his place in historys ? hes not looking at michael jordan, hes looking past him. and lets not 4get, if dwight comes to LA next season, theres no telling how many rings kobe will finsh with. how can he only make 2nd when the race isnt even over?

KillaInstinct24
03-10-2011, 04:00 AM
wow, this is a dumb question. is everyone not seeing what kobe is shooting for? kobe chasing the scoring title (which he's on pace to break) , his 6th title, and people still questions his place in historys ? hes not looking at michael jordan, hes looking past him. and lets not 4get, if dwight comes to LA next season, theres no telling how many rings kobe will finsh with. how can he only make 2nd when the race isnt even over?

MJ is GOD lol...he's a legend. lets face it, if kobe came before mj, michael would be facing similar obstacles. more rings doesnt mean better than michael. russell has what? 11? its futile to chase a legend. his best chance is to become legendary himself. u just simply cant compare the two. unless they make cloning legal, then they could clone mj and kobe at the same time, let them grow up and peak at the same age. then we'll see LOL

jumito
03-10-2011, 04:50 AM
Well to be honest, the one who creates the article is very objective. He is not clearly a Kobe or MJ fan, he explains throughly and objectively why Kobe surpassed and how will he surpass each player by scrutinizing each player's achievements and era of playing. But to me, i think, Kobe being Kobe will just continue to play until his due will just limits itself. He's only 32, maybe 2 or 3 more years is still left for him. What's important is if he will be able to snatch another MVP granting their recent play (I'm just hoping the bulls falls, meaning the chances of rose will slightly diminished) and They win the Title and another Finals MVP. There will be no doubt that he will definitely compete with MJ of who's the greatest. Mind you, i think only MJ has had, All StarMVP, Season MVP, Finals MVP and a Championship in one season.

Supreme LA
03-10-2011, 08:03 AM

You're a noob. When did you start watching basketball? 1999??? There are so many reasons MJ is and always will be better than Kobe so I won't even bother. I just had to respond because I couldn't believe how clueless you were.

MJ = GOAT. Kobe has said it himself. MJ is who Kobe patterned his game after. Don't be a moron.

mfb_lt1birdman
03-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Its funny to think had circumstances changed, probably any one of those guys in that article could have been a clear cut 2nd GOAT behind MJ had they won more rings. But as the article states, most had their chances and blew it. Thats what really separates the greatest from the greats.

Pretty fair assesment really. Hard to argue MJ as the GOAT. Pretty tough in my eyes to have Kobe clearly surpass Kareem as well even with another ring. Kobe winding up in that 2-3 spot seems very possible though.

jferrell25
03-10-2011, 09:21 AM
You're a noob. When did you start watching basketball? 1999??? There are so many reasons MJ is and always will be better than Kobe so I won't even bother. I just had to respond because I couldn't believe how clueless you were.

MJ = GOAT. Kobe has said it himself. MJ is who Kobe patterned his game after. Don't be a moron.

clueless? no, your just in love with mj. what other reason could you rank someones place in history before they even retire? kobe or anyone else for that matter. nobody knows what kobes numbers will be when he hangs it up. i know of the group who said kobe could never past mike, the same type people who said he couldnt win without shaq. not taking anything away from mj, but let kobe earn his own place before mj lovers place him there. kobe will always be sold short only because who he is. one of the most hated players in the league. well was. everyone, in every arena has a lakers section at every game now. but not to long ago we all watched the biggest career snoob in nba history. even those who hate kobe dont understand how he only has one league mvp. all on his image. were talking about kobe as if he's done. last i checked, he was working on another 3peat. and if you want to judge them both, judge them by what they have done by age 32 in awards thats not by someone elses opinion. that would mean kobe has more rings, more points, still 2nd most points scored in a game in history. and who would have played with a top 50 player nearly their whole career? i like mike at number 1 for now, but lets not act like thats sealed forever. and kobe might not pass him but at this point to say the man has no chance, thats just d*** riding.

jferrell25
03-10-2011, 09:27 AM
MJ is GOD lol...he's a legend. lets face it, if kobe came before mj, michael would be facing similar obstacles. more rings doesnt mean better than michael. russell has what? 11? its futile to chase a legend. his best chance is to become legendary himself. u just simply cant compare the two. unless they make cloning legal, then they could clone mj and kobe at the same time, let them grow up and peak at the same age. then we'll see LOL

respectable argument. i can agree with that. but become legendary? kobe's been there. he's just adding to it. will hate to see when he hangs it up but want to see were he ranks once its all said and done.

handle
03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
At this point, I don't believe Kobe will ever be generally regarded as better than Jordan, regardless of what happens the rest of his career.

I think if Kobe passes Jordan in all-time scoring and finishes with 3 more titles (8 total), he will be considered by many Jordan's equal... at best.

I believe Jordan was the overall better player, though not by much. I would have loved to see Kobe in his prime play in Jordan's era.

Lakerfan8032
03-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Well to be honest, the one who creates the article is very objective. He is not clearly a Kobe or MJ fan, he explains throughly and objectively why Kobe surpassed and how will he surpass each player by scrutinizing each player's achievements and era of playing. But to me, i think, Kobe being Kobe will just continue to play until his due will just limits itself. He's only 32, maybe 2 or 3 more years is still left for him. What's important is if he will be able to snatch another MVP granting their recent play (I'm just hoping the bulls falls, meaning the chances of rose will slightly diminished) and They win the Title and another Finals MVP. There will be no doubt that he will definitely compete with MJ of who's the greatest. Mind you, i think only MJ has had, All StarMVP, Season MVP, Finals MVP and a Championship in one season.

Nope. I'm quite sure Larry Bird did it in 1986 or 1984 but Shaq definitely did it in 2000. He actually was co-MVP with Duncan in the all-star game, though.

srekal
03-10-2011, 12:01 PM

What are all your reasons??? Why is he a moron??? You may be tired of people comparing Kobe to MJ but I'm tired of MJ being untouchable. Kobe can be a jerk... just like MJ. Kobe at times hogs the ball... just like MJ. Kobe had relationship issues... just like MJ. Kobe has been the best player in the league for a approx. a decade. They played with different defense allowances... MJ had to face more handchecking and Kobe had to face more zone style defenses. Kobe IS is MJs class. Period. Who's better? Whe f-ing knows? Give Kobe his props... he has lasted. He has overcome and he has learned to be humble in public at least.

Chavacano
03-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Scoring is the most important part of the game. Everyone knows that Kobe is one of the top scorers of all-time, but critics compare his scoring average to other legends. Let’s put Kobe on a fair comparison with Michael Jordan. Michael spent 3 years in one of the top college programs. Take away Kobe’s first 3 years and Bryant’s averages look eerily similar to Jordan’s: 28.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg, and 5.2 apg. That scoring average would put him in third place behind Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain. Now imagine if Kobe entered the league as “the man” on his team as did Jordan. Doing this makes it easy to figure that Kobe’s average would probably be north of the 30 point mark.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/429430-kobe-bryant-one-of-the-top-five-nba-players-of-all-time

From the same writer. :)
& these are Kobe's stats if you remove the 1st 3 years:
FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P% FTM FTA FT% Reb Ast Stl Blk TO Pts
9.8 21.5 45.7% 1.4 4.1 34.1% 7.1 8.4 84.1% 5.8 5.2 1.7 0.5 3.1 28.1

Angels4Ever
03-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Nope, pre-disease, Magic Johnson was the greatest player to ever touch the basketball, enough said. Magic>>>>MJ

Avenged
03-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Nope. Most likely not. I think he does crack the top 5 eventually, but I can't see him as #2.

For us Lakers fan he probably will though. There's no denying the devotion many of our fan base has towards him, heck he's #1 to a lot of us. It's a blessing to have 2 Lakers players in the top 5 all-time and hopefully 3 once Kobe makes it.

mfb_lt1birdman
03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm tired of MJ being untouchable. Kobe can be a jerk... just like MJ.

MJ is untouchable atop that GOAT pedastal though. Not just for how he played but he has been glorified by the media for 20 years now and his legacy boosted to untouchable levels. Nobody can erase that nor replicate it. He brought in billions of dollars for the leauge. Heck you still see him in more commercials than Kobe or Lebron.

There is just no objective argument you can make to knock MJ off. Unfortunately stats and championships are the only real measure. And thats where MJ is untouchable. You can come up with what if's, and say his competition was lesser, different rules, etc, etc. All of which is just subjective, opinionated B.S. I always disliked MJ on the court because he was not a Laker. In fact I hated the dude much like so many hate Kobe now. But I watched him and now greatly respect him. Kobe is just not at his level and never will be. But number 2 or 3 is possible. And that is pretty damn impressive.

da wood
03-10-2011, 03:07 PM
clueless? no, your just in love with mj. what other reason could you rank someones place in history before they even retire? kobe or anyone else for that matter. nobody knows what kobes numbers will be when he hangs it up. i know of the group who said kobe could never past mike, the same type people who said he couldnt win without shaq. not taking anything away from mj, but let kobe earn his own place before mj lovers place him there. kobe will always be sold short only because who he is. one of the most hated players in the league. well was. everyone, in every arena has a lakers section at every game now. but not to long ago we all watched the biggest career snoob in nba history. even those who hate kobe dont understand how he only has one league mvp. all on his image. were talking about kobe as if he's done. last i checked, he was working on another 3peat. and if you want to judge them both, judge them by what they have done by age 32 in awards thats not by someone elses opinion. that would mean kobe has more rings, more points, still 2nd most points scored in a game in history. and who would have played with a top 50 player nearly their whole career? i like mike at number 1 for now, but lets not act like thats sealed forever. and kobe might not pass him but at this point to say the man has no chance, thats just d*** riding.

nicely put:clap:

da wood
03-10-2011, 03:10 PM
also how can you only put what they have accomplished before 32 thats like saying tracy got hurt but when he was on top he was the best so we will compare them up to when tracy fell off.....hell naw you look at thier body of work and if kobe does in fact play long enough and win more awards and championships and break more records you have no choice but to move him past jordan because he managed to stay the course and did it at the top of his game. but aside from where we place them in history i think if they played one on one koby wins.

New Power House
03-10-2011, 03:48 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/629512-kobe-bryant-can-he-move-behind-michael-jordan-for-second-greatest-nba-player#page/1

To all MJ, KOBE laker fans... Great read!

If Kobe wins 7 rings,he will surpass him.:D

New Power House
03-10-2011, 04:01 PM

No doubt that MJ has been the first most spectacular player of this era to accomplish a remarkable record of two three-peats and a string of MVPs,but Kobe ,as a great student of the game that he is,will surely surpass his master.
Also remember that mVPs is more of a popular,media, and NBA MAFIA's take. I will take Kobe for the one to pass every one above him before this is over for him.

KillaInstinct24
03-10-2011, 06:51 PM
respectable argument. i can agree with that. but become legendary? kobe's been there. he's just adding to it. will hate to see when he hangs it up but want to see were he ranks once its all said and done.

kobe is not yet legendary as he is an active player. but what difference does it make? u wanna see where he ranks when he's done, but who is doing the ranking? michael wilbon and kornheiser? i mean the media will never put kobe ahead of mj, but i think after some time has passed they will ease up on their criticism and rank him in the top 3, maybe even 2nd. it just seems like everyone hates kobe, espn, yahoo, etc etc. im sure this will let up after his retirement as people move on to hate other players but we will have to wait and see

Avenged
03-10-2011, 07:38 PM
For future reference, when posting Bleacher Report articles, make sure to insert something insightful onto the original post or else it gets closed. Thanks guys! :cheers: