PDA

View Full Version : How much noise can the Sixers make?

davids22
03-10-2011, 02:13 AM
I'm shocked ESPN doesn't even talk about this team. Of course they want to hype up the big-market New York Knicks, but guess who is only .5 games back from them? The Sixers! Personally, they'll be my underdog in the playoffs to root for. A nice young team trying to make some noise, kind of like last years Bucks.

Realistically, do you think they have a shot at the 6th seed? They're almost certain to have at least the 7th seed, since the gap between 7 and 8 is getting hard to close day by day. The 8th seed is virtually a race between Indiana and Milwaukee (while the Bobcats are there, I don't see them finishing strong after the trade deadline).

A Philly/Chicago match-up and a New York/Miami match-up would probably draw some great ratings too, including an Orlando/Atlanta. But it's a little too early to call playoff matchups, as Boston Chicago and Miami can all realistically grab the 1-3 seed still.

TL/DR: I can't wait till the playoffs.

flclfanman
03-10-2011, 02:14 AM
If they can steal the 6th seed from the Knicks and beat (what looks like Miami) in the playoffs then they'll make a ton of noise.

Hellcrooner
03-10-2011, 02:14 AM
How many instruments and amps do they have?

Geargo Wallace
03-10-2011, 02:20 AM
How many instruments and amps do they have?

that would be a good joke if it were funny.

nygiants242
03-10-2011, 02:24 AM
I absolutely think we can make some noise. However, we are still undergoing some definite growth pains that reflect our inexperience and "raw"-ness. I.e. blowing a lead late in the game tonight, and getting dominated in OT. Still, we kept up with the Thunder, one of the West's top teams.

I'm glad to see the Sixers get some respect around the league. I think we will provide an exciting match-up, for whatever Eastern Conference powerhouse we may face. I certainly think the Sixers have a shot to overtake the Knicks, and perhaps even to overtake the Hawks.

Unfortunately, however, it is games like tonight which make you come back down to earth and realize that this team is not as refined as some of the better ones in the East.

In any case, with a bunch of young guns under 23, guided under the veteran leadership of Iguodala and Brand, we can put up a fight for sure. Not to mention, Doug Collins has been an incredible coach and leader so far.

abe_froman
03-10-2011, 02:26 AM
they can make it a series but i dont see them making it out of the first round

Meatmypet
03-10-2011, 02:31 AM
Actually, the Sixers are 1.5 games behind NY after tonight :D

But they're just like the pesky annoying team that no one really cares too much about. I hope they choke and finish the season with a dud.

hgtiger32
03-10-2011, 02:33 AM
i honestly would hate having to play that team. bunch of talent on that team, I think they would match up real good with the Heat and make that a compelling series

Lim
03-10-2011, 02:37 AM
they will be like the 08-09 sixers imo. the one that gave orlando a run for their money

GoatMilk
03-10-2011, 02:38 AM
last year's Bucks

i like the Sixers though

NJ Raven
03-10-2011, 02:38 AM
Jrue Holiday is a stud. We all talk Rose, CP3, Deron, Westbrook & Rondo, but Holiday is definitely tops of the 2nd tier or soon will be.

cubswin25
03-10-2011, 02:45 AM
The 76ers are a nice team, but I don't see them doing very well at all vs the Celtics, Bulls or Heat. Sure they might win a game or two, but I don't see a 7 game series. The Celtics have too much fire power and play better defense. The Bulls have the MVP in Rose, player better defense and are deeper. I still also can't see the 76ers shutting down Wade/Lebron/Bosh in the playoffs either. Especially since they haven't had much success against the Heat this season. So like I said the 76ers have a nice team, but don't really do anything better then the top teams.

Jewelz0376
03-10-2011, 02:58 AM
None..they will be 1 and done...they will probably win 1 game at the most...

iggypop123
03-10-2011, 03:08 AM
as meaningful as a childs tantrum. you look and shake your had and move on

turnaround3
03-10-2011, 03:11 AM
They remind me of every Bulls team for the past half decade prior to this year's.

CowboysKB24
03-10-2011, 03:13 AM
I'm shocked ESPN doesn't even talk about this team. Of course they want to hype up the big-market New York Knicks, but guess who is only .5 games back from them? The Sixers! Personally, they'll be my underdog in the playoffs to root for. A nice young team trying to make some noise, kind of like last years Bucks.

Realistically, do you think they have a shot at the 6th seed? They're almost certain to have at least the 7th seed, since the gap between 7 and 8 is getting hard to close day by day. The 8th seed is virtually a race between Indiana and Milwaukee (while the Bobcats are there, I don't see them finishing strong after the trade deadline).

A Philly/Chicago match-up and a New York/Miami match-up would probably draw some great ratings too, including an Orlando/Atlanta. But it's a little too early to call playoff matchups, as Boston Chicago and Miami can all realistically grab the 1-3 seed still.

TL/DR: I can't wait till the playoffs.

Of course they talk about the Knicks way more than the Sixers. They got Melo and every game tells a lot about how good the team can be. I guess you didn't know that they just got Melo a few weeks ago... which is why the Sixers are a half a game behind.

I don't see the Sixers making much noise. They aren't nearly as talented or have the chemistry of the Celtics, Magic, and Bulls. They have better chemistry than the Heat, but the Heat talent is owns Philly.

DoJoTheSlasher
03-10-2011, 04:18 AM
The only noise Philly will make will be the Liberty Bell.

Haha but seriously, Philly has a nice young core. They won't advance past the 1st but they could take a team like Orlando or Chicago to 6 or 7.

TheBatchelor213
03-10-2011, 02:42 PM
the sixers can beat anybody in a series imo....even though they are a young team they do have some guys on that roster with valuable playoff experience. i do think they can make some noise in the playoffs.

da wood
03-10-2011, 02:54 PM
they are quitly the hottest team behind the lakers

Iverson3018
03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
the only team that I think would win easily against us is Miami

against boston or Chicago we can give a good fight

John Walls Era
03-10-2011, 03:26 PM
They won't go far. They're in no mans land imo. Can't tell if they're rebuilding or if they are missing pieces to be a contender. The players that they have contradict w.e. their plans are (Can't rebuild with Brand and AI, Can't become a contender with some of their pieces).

theLgndKllr35
03-10-2011, 04:05 PM
They won't go far. They're in no mans land imo. Can't tell if they're rebuilding or if they are missing pieces to be a contender. The players that they have contradict w.e. their plans are (Can't rebuild with Brand and AI, Can't become a contender with some of their pieces).

Obviously they are missing pieces to become a contender, but I'm pretty sure nobody really saw this coming. Iguodala finally executing his role well (similar to the Olympics) and a rejuvenated Elton Brand definitely have this team going in the right direction. It's good to get the youth movement (Turner, Holiday, Young, Meeks, Speights, and Williams) used to winning. Once that cap space opens up, they are a legit big man away from competing.

John Walls Era
03-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Obviously they are missing pieces to become a contender, but I'm pretty sure nobody really saw this coming. Iguodala finally executing his role well (similar to the Olympics) and a rejuvenated Elton Brand definitely have this team going in the right direction. It's good to get the youth movement (Turner, Holiday, Young, Meeks, Speights, and Williams) used to winning. Once that cap space opens up, they are a legit big man away from competing.

Thats kind of what I mean. They fall outside the norm in terms of what teams identity usually are. They have young pieces, but they also have some talented vets.

Tarheels23
03-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Collins is doing a great job, Iggy looks terrific, they have some nice role players, they are athletic, and playing great ball overall....

However, you can't make noise with Spencer Hawes as your starting big man.

pd7631
03-10-2011, 05:29 PM
We pushed the Pistons to 6 games 3 years ago when they still had their core group in place. We did the same to Orlando 2 years ago as they were on their way to winning the Eastern Conference.

I would expect about the same thing to happen this season. We will make whichever team we face really work hard to move on, but I think last night's game against the Thunder is a great metaphor for this team........we will give you everything we have until the very end, and we may even pull it out some nights, but when it comes down to it, we are giving the ball to Andre Iguodala to win the game and true contenders are giving it to Kobe, Durant, Pierce, Allen, Rose, etc..

pd7631
03-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Collins is doing a great job, Iggy looks terrific, they have some nice role players, they are athletic, and playing great ball overall....

However, you can't make noise with Spencer Hawes as your starting big man.

Exactly. This Sixer team could potentially grow into a team like the Pistons of the middle part of the last decade, but we have a gaping whole in the middle defensively.

ClayMatthews
03-10-2011, 05:38 PM
How good is your hearing because i wont be hearing anything..

pd7631
03-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Of course they talk about the Knicks way more than the Sixers. They got Melo and every game tells a lot about how good the team can be. I guess you didn't know that they just got Melo a few weeks ago... which is why the Sixers are a half a game behind.

I don't see the Sixers making much noise. They aren't nearly as talented or have the chemistry of the Celtics, Magic, and Bulls. They have better chemistry than the Heat, but the Heat talent is owns Philly.

I have to take issue with this. Our team chemistry is probably the best I've seen in 10 years, and it has been one of, if not the biggest reason we have played so well. And I gotta think that our chemistry is better than that of Orlando, considering that they made that huge deal and Dwight has had to call his teammates out. Chemistry is not an issue with the Sixers.

The Ooh Child
03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
We're definitely not contenders, but we are going to be an annoying team to face. We have a decent chance at stealing two games against a contender

JordansBulls
03-10-2011, 05:53 PM
I think they can make as much noise as they did in 2009 when they went up on Orlando in round 1 as was up 2-1 in the series. They may have the potential to take a team like Chicago, Boston or Miami 7 games but I don't think they could beat anyone of them. they would have a shot to upset Orlando or Atlanta though IMO.

cardullo4321
03-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I think they have a shot. They started off terrible with the new coach with a recond of 3-13 and are now over .500. So there win percentage has been above .600. So I think they do deserve some hype and respect. As far as ESPN is concerned, they are more Hollywood and the Sixers are not right now.

WSU Tony
03-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Two words: Limited upside.

Enjoy being that fringe / .500 team for the next 5 years.

You can't win, and you can't rebuild. It's a cursed spot.

Swashcuff
03-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Jrue Holiday is a stud. We all talk Rose, CP3, Deron, Westbrook & Rondo, but Holiday is definitely tops of the 2nd tier or soon will be.

:nod:

Rivera
03-10-2011, 06:11 PM
noise?? maybe win 2 games at most????

Swashcuff
03-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Two words: Limited upside.

Enjoy being that fringe / .500 team for the next 5 years.

You can't win, and you can't rebuild. It's a cursed spot.

When someone doesn't know what they are talking about this is the kind of stuff they say.

SeoulBeatz
03-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I do feel like we're the poor man's Eastern Conference version of the thunder. We have a lot of athleticism and we play hard D.

Watch the highlight reel, we never get any love on sportscenter but we're a pretty exciting/athletic team.

Started out as the worst team in the NBA at 3-13, going 30-18 since then and only losing by more than 7 once in that span. This team can hang with any team.

SeoulBeatz
03-10-2011, 06:22 PM
noise?? maybe win 2 games at most????

Yeah I'm going to have to agree. I love my sixers, but this team is a few pieces away from being a contender at least.

Our lack of frontcourt depth/size really hurts us. We have an abundance of wings but a very thin front line that is heavily dependent on Elton Brand (who has been great this year) but that worries me.

I was hoping we could've nabbed a defensive center at the deadline but that was not the case, so now I think it will be hard to compete with teams with more size.

but w the pieces are there. This team is the 3rd youngest in the NBA. Jrue Holiday is playing amazing ball and Evan Turner is making great strides every day. That's a sick backcourt tandem for years to come along with a ton of depth/athleticism in Lou Will, Thad Young, Jodie Meeks, and Marreese Speights. This team can turn it around for sure.

WeBallin
03-10-2011, 06:32 PM
About as much noise as a doggy whistle!!!!!! Don't get it twisted Sixers are garbadge....

bringbackfredex
03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
We'll probably lose in the 1st round, but I love the fact that no one is giving us a shot. That's the kind of thing that bites you in the *** and gets you beat, so hopefully whoever we face in the first round carries the same attitudes as most of you guys.

We have one of the hottest teams in the league, so don't be surprised if we come out and upset someone. That being said, 9 times out of 10 it won't happen.

Run&Gun
03-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I'd have to agree with most people on psd saying they won't get past the 1st round but thy can compete maybe make it to 6 games into the playoff. Great thing about that team is their bench is so good that there is no loss of firepower when when they put in their second unit. That team has 3 legit starters on their bench only problem is no real star on that team

WolvesJagsOs
03-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I really like Philly's squad, def think they can do something in the playoffs.

danniboi168
03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
i thiink any1 can make noise

AddiX
03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
A lot depends on who Philly plays.

They remind me of the Bobcats last year. They play hard defense and listen to the coach. That can get you pretty far, but once you get stuck playing some of these super teams, its just hard to over come there ability.

In the playoffs, its a lot harder to get buckets. and that's why teams without superstars usually don't go far.

As long as Philly aint playing NY, I'll root for them.

midwestmadman
03-11-2011, 12:10 AM
They have depth, and they have talent. Doug Collins is a great coach for young teams but they will need to replace him with someone else in the future if they really want to make noise. I can see them getting 2 games from the Heat if they are able to pass up NY in the standings. With Billups missing 6 games with a "bruise" and counting they may have a shot at it. However a match up against the Bulls or the C's I don't like thier chances this year.

Illa215
03-11-2011, 12:24 AM
I don't see how being in this "cursed position" is such a terrible thing. They have a young core of Holiday, Turner, Young, Meeks, Lou Will, and Speights who are very young and inexperienced, coupled with Brand and Iggy. Why is this such a curse? For the next few years, they compete and play as hard as possible, and when Brand's contract is up, you sign your superstar. At that point, they're going to have a few studs in Holiday, Turner, Young, and Iguodala. They'll need that stud big man to get them over the top. At that point, this team is going to be very attractive for a big free agent. I like the way this team is headed. I actually think that they have found their identity.

KingOf215
03-12-2011, 12:00 AM
They've made enough noise to beat the Celtics, and the Spurs so far. I think that's worth a few playoff wins... don't know about an entire series though.