PDA

View Full Version : How important is defense?

MacFitz92
03-10-2011, 01:03 AM
Offense is easier to keep track of, it gets more hype, and the media will look at PPG numbers all the time. My question is this:

Take one of the best perimeter defenders with an average or so offensive game like Tony Allen. Then take one of the worst defenders in the league who is a very good scorer in Kevin Martin.

One might think I'm crazy to take Tony Allen over Kevin Martin, but in a situation where there's already a go to guy, I'd take Allen.

What are ya'lls thoughts on defense/offense?

abe_froman
03-10-2011, 01:04 AM
its pretty important

but my guess is this will be split along the lines of what team they root for.fans of run and gun teams(your gsw,phx's,tor,ny's,ect)will all say it isnt important;while your fans of defensive minded teams(celtics,bulls,ect.)will all preach its importance

nickdymez
03-10-2011, 01:05 AM
Its pretty obvious defense is important. To me anyway. Every sport defense is important.

Meatmypet
03-10-2011, 01:05 AM
You dont need to be a defensive juggernaut to win a title. Getting timely stops when you need to and playing somewhat above average defense is really all that's necessary to win it all.

bulls_world23
03-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Defense wins championships

cubswin25
03-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Name the last NBA Champion that was really good defensivly? This is why teams like the Suns could never get over the top, and why the Knicks won't until they change the way they play.

ManRam
03-10-2011, 01:10 AM
First, defense is obviously extremely important. All the truly elite teams play elite defense. Chicago, Boston, LA (of late especially), SA, Miami etc. are all elite defensive teams. Even Dallas, they've bought in and they've moved into the top 10/11. Some of them aren't great offensive teams (Bulls and Celtics are in the bottom half in offense)...but the common denominator is always great defense among elite teams.

However, I wouldn't take Allen over Martin at all, not even close...but that's because perimeter defense in my opinion isn't nearly as important as interior defense (and because Martin is by far one of the most efficient scorers in the league). Defense works from the inside out. If there already is a Kobe Bryant or a Dywane Wade, then sure, gimme Allen...but that's all situation dependent. Martin is more valuable to a team 9.5 times out of 10.

Swashcuff
03-10-2011, 01:14 AM

Great teams win championships. Most great teams play great defense however.

MacFitz92
03-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Here's why perimeter defense is just as, if not more important than interior defense. (Regardless you need both to be a great defense.)

Posts can't guard two people. Unless you have the best help defense in the league, you won't be able to get by with below average perimeter defenders, and be called a great defense. Kevin Martin is the epitome of awful perimeter defense.

nickdymez

This post confuses me.. But i agree with it

Mane
Yeah, if you take a look at the top 5 or 6 teams in the league, and watch one of their games and observe how well they contest shots both inside and outside, you'll notice that's the factor that separates them from the rest of the league.

And I would take Kevin Martin over Allen pretty much if I didn't have two to three good-great scorers. Kevin Martin is extremely efficient. I'd take Allen over a player like Monta Ellis, though.

nyanks79
03-10-2011, 01:19 AM

Why did the Bobcats get swept last season then?

nickdymez
03-10-2011, 01:24 AM

Still gotta play offense

NYtilIdie
03-10-2011, 01:25 AM
Its just as equally as important as offense. You can have all the offense in the world, but if you can't stop nobody it won't matter how many points your score. The Knicks learned the hard way, but now they're starting to get it.

Also you're going to need a perimeter player like Tony Allen for the Kobe's, Melo's, Lebron's of the world. Although I think interior defense is more crucial then perimeter because if you have a bully down low who will punish the opposing big men and boxout then the chances of you winning increase.

The Celtics are learning the hard way on how crucial a big man presence is and the Thunder are about to find out for the first time in the Durant era how much of a blessing it is to have one.

ManRam
Here's why perimeter defense is just as, if not more important than interior defense. (Regardless you need both to be a great defense.)

Posts can't guard two people. Unless you have the best help defense in the league, you won't be able to get by with below average perimeter defenders, and be called a great defense. Kevin Martin is the epitome of awful perimeter defense.

I don't know. I don't buy that at all. I've never heard that defense starts from the outside in. Not once in my life. Maybe I'm also skewed because I watch the Magic all the time, but I really find that hard to believe.

Help defense basically is the name of the game. That's what team defense is...just a special name for help defense. Any type of switch is help. Any double team is help. Anytime someone pops out on a pick and roll, that's help. Rarely do all five guys stay on their men for an entire position, and the switches that matter most are the ones that come from the post. And most plays end up closer to the rim than they started, so again, that's getting at involving the more interior level of defense more. If a perimeter guy gets beat, the post defense is their to clean up. It's more fool proof.

It's easier to expose a team that has a weak post defense than it is to expose a team with a weak perimeter defense. That's my very strong opinion. Again, it might be severely biased from watching the Magic, but that's always what I've heard and believed even before watching Dwight and Shaq.

MacFitz92

That's not to say that you have to have offense.

nyanks79
03-10-2011, 01:32 AM
That's not to say that you have to have offense.

The only team in recent history to win a championship without having a above average offensive efficient team has been the Pistons.

Chi StateOfMind
03-10-2011, 01:41 AM
is a serious thread?????REALLY????

MacFitz92
03-10-2011, 01:43 AM

Why do you not see this as a serious thread?

nickdymez
03-10-2011, 01:43 AM

Did you seriously waste your time posting in here? REALLY?

Punk
03-10-2011, 01:44 AM

In that case, the Bucks should be in the top 5 in the playoff standings.

marlinsfan24
03-10-2011, 01:46 AM

This guy knows what he's talking about. :clap:

Doogolas
03-10-2011, 01:48 AM
I think there has been like, one NBA championship team in the last 25 years that has won without a top 10 defense.
Defense Rank/Offense Rank of NBA Champ
2010: 4/11
2009: 6/3
2008: 1/10
2007: 2/5
2006: 9/7
2005: 1/8
2004: 2/18
2003: 3/7
2002: 7/2
2001: 21/2
2000: 1/5
1999: 1/11
1998: 3/9
1997: 4/1
1996: 1/1
1995: 12/7
1994: 2/15
1993: 7/2
1992: 4/1
1991: 7/1
1990: 2/11
1989: 3/7

I'm very tired of doing this now. So in however many years that is:
Two teams won without a top 10 defense.
Six teams won without a top 10 offense.

Shortys4711
03-10-2011, 01:53 AM
Name the last NBA Champion that was really good defensivly? This is why teams like the Suns could never get over the top, and why the Knicks won't until they change the way they play.

You need to have at least average to good defense to win it all. I donít think this is why the suns never won, The year we lost to SA in 2007 was not due to defense, ask majority of people, that was our year, we would have won it all if it was not for the suspensions due to dam Horry. Change that one moment and we would have a Suns championship, and it would have shown that offensive minded teams can win.

Rndy
03-10-2011, 02:11 AM
I don't understand the Allen and Martin part of all this. Allen isn't a good defensive player at all. He gets away with it in a great defensive system and plays team defense.

MacFitz92
03-10-2011, 02:24 AM
I don't understand the Allen and Martin part of all this. Allen isn't a good defensive player at all. He gets away with it in a great defensive system and plays team defense.

Lol. His Drtg on the team's he's been on really disprove that argument.

Rndy
03-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Lol. His Drtg on the team's he's been on really disprove that argument.

Well first off DRTG sucks my dick. But if you want to use DRTG maybe look at before he came to Boston? Which is why I mentioned Bostons team defense?

unless we're not talking about Ray Allen? When I hear Allen I think of Ray not Tony.

MacFitz92
03-10-2011, 02:34 AM
Well first off DRTG sucks my dick. But if you want to use DRTG maybe look at before he came to Boston? Which is why I mentioned Bostons team defense?

unless we're not talking about Ray Allen? When I hear Allen I think of Ray not Tony.

Tony Allen. The one who's probably the best perimeter defender in the league.

Rndy
03-10-2011, 02:35 AM
Tony Allen. The one who's probably the best perimeter defender in the league.

Oh ok well then I agree.

Mudvayne91
03-10-2011, 02:54 AM
D is the most important part. Great defense always trumps great offense in playoffs. That's why Spurs have championships and the Suns have jack squat.

Jewelz0376
03-10-2011, 02:57 AM
D is the most important part. Great defense always trumps great offense in playoffs. That's why Spurs have championships and the Suns have jack squat.

This

Obviously you need to be able to score also in order to have real success...but I'd rather for my team to be average offensively and elite defensively than the other way around...

knightstemplar
03-10-2011, 02:59 AM

this, so yeah its important

Supreme LA
03-10-2011, 03:04 AM

I don't agree with you. Defense starts from the inside out. It's more important to have guys who can protect the rim then it is to have a perimeter defender. That's why high percentage shots are considered to be inside the paint and low percentage shots are all taken from the perimeter.

Look at Andrew Bynum. Derek Fisher gets blown by all the time because it's almost impossible to guard fast PG's in this league today without contact and Andrew is always there to close off the lane and deter shots. You are wrong buddy.

Steelers23_06
03-10-2011, 03:05 AM
defense wins championships. i may be wrong...but u doubt it.

CowboysKB24
03-10-2011, 03:22 AM
Defense isn't important at all. It isn't just 50 percent of the game of basketball... it is fact that defense is immensely important.

MacFitz92
03-10-2011, 03:25 AM
I don't agree with you. Defense starts from the inside out. It's more important to have guys who can protect the rim then it is to have a perimeter defender. That's why high percentage shots are considered to be inside the paint and low percentage shots are all taken from the perimeter.

Look at Andrew Bynum. Derek Fisher gets blown by all the time because it's almost impossible to guard fast PG's in this league today without contact and Andrew is always there to close off the lane and deter shots. You are wrong buddy.

If they are forced to shoot outside, whilst being contested well(good perimeter defense), then I'm using your argument against you. They only have to shoot lower percentage shots.

Supreme LA
03-10-2011, 03:58 AM
If they are forced to shoot outside, whilst being contested well(good perimeter defense), then I'm using your argument against you. They only have to shoot lower percentage shots.

The only reason most guys are forced to shoot low percentage shots from the perimeter is because they don't want to take it to the rim and get it swatted by a big defender. Today's rules don't make it hard for guys to get by their men since handchecking isn't allowed. So you can't use my argument against me. Primarily, in this league on big men deter high percentage shots in the paint.

Jewelz0376
03-10-2011, 04:03 AM

Int D is more important that perimeter D...you should kno that better than anyone since your boi is on the Mavs lol...(#2 C in the lg according to you lol)

Raph12
03-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Defense is just as, if not more important than offense...

Mudvayne91
03-10-2011, 04:21 AM
defense wins championships. i may be wrong...but u doubt it.

Haha, I hope that's not a mistake cause it's pretty great.

DoJoTheSlasher
03-10-2011, 04:23 AM

D1JM
03-10-2011, 04:40 AM
ask d'antoni

Shortys4711
03-10-2011, 05:29 AM

No suns have jack squat because of hip check from Horry and JJ getting a smashed face.

Kevj77
03-10-2011, 05:47 AM
In the 4th quarter in close games the teams that gets stops usually wins. Do it for 4 quarters and it's hard to beat. Defense wins titles, but defense and offense can build a dynasty.

Rentzias
03-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Just food for thought, "Basketball on Paper" by Dean Oliver has a pretty strong argument that offense is what gets you championships, not to discount defense obviously, but that in the hierarchy, it's offense that's most important, read it if you get the chance.

Also:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ian_thomsen/03/04/sixth.man/index.html

http://www.examiner.com/sports-betting-in-national/nba-playoff-betting-the-defense-wins-championships-myth

http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/factors-associated-success-among-nba-teams

Maybe defense always has in the past, but may have changed as rules interpretations/implementation has changed. From 2000-2010, in the playoffs:
- The leading scorer has been on seven out of 11 championship teams.
- 70% of the time, the championship team was a better PPG team than PA team. This includes the '00 Lakers who were tops in PPG and second to last in PA, and the last two Laker championship teams who were 3rd and 4th PPG and 9th and 8th PA; also remember, the 09 Nuggets were two inbound passes away from a Finals with by far the to PPG and a horrendous PA.

Stops lead to opportunities, but what if you can't capitalize on those opportunities? To better word it, could you say Offensive Efficiency > Defense? That's not to be extreme and say the D'Antoni Suns should've won championships -- shooting the ball within 7 seconds of a possession limits your ability to be fouled, so you can say they were proficient but not efficient -- but that when it comes to it, the guy that can clutch put a ball in the basket rather than stop it is pretty important. You certainly have "Havlicek steals the ball!" but you also have "And there's a steal by Bird.....underneath to DJ" (who lays it in, right?).

Like I said, just food for thought as the game evolves.

TheDiggler
03-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Is that question serious ?

Offense wins games. Defense wins Championships. (every bballer should know that btw)

KnicksorBust
03-10-2011, 10:55 AM
I think there has been like, one NBA championship team in the last 25 years that has won without a top 10 defense.
Defense Rank/Offense Rank of NBA Champ
2010: 4/11
2009: 6/3
2008: 1/10
2007: 2/5
2006: 9/7
2005: 1/8
2004: 2/18
2003: 3/7
2002: 7/2
2001: 21/2
2000: 1/5
1999: 1/11
1998: 3/9
1997: 4/1
1996: 1/1
1995: 12/7
1994: 2/15
1993: 7/2
1992: 4/1
1991: 7/1
1990: 2/11
1989: 3/7

I'm very tired of doing this now. So in however many years that is:
Two teams won without a top 10 defense.
Six teams won without a top 10 offense.

Way to put in the work. It clearly shows that one is a little more important BUT most champions are strong on both ends of the floor. I agree with the OP that having a terrible perimeter defender like a Kevin Martin can seriously break down your defense but he's still a superior player to a Tony Allen. Although Allen's having a career year on both ends of the floor. At the end of games it's a lot easier for an all offense guy like Amar'e Stoudemire to turn it on defensively than it is for an all defense guy like Jared Jeffries to turn it on offensively.

Doogolas
03-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Just food for thought, "Basketball on Paper" by Dean Oliver has a pretty strong argument that offense is what gets you championships, not to discount defense obviously, but that in the hierarchy, it's offense that's most important, read it if you get the chance.

Also:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ian_thomsen/03/04/sixth.man/index.html

http://www.examiner.com/sports-betting-in-national/nba-playoff-betting-the-defense-wins-championships-myth

http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/factors-associated-success-among-nba-teams

Maybe defense always has in the past, but may have changed as rules interpretations/implementation has changed. From 2000-2010, in the playoffs:
- The leading scorer has been on seven out of 11 championship teams.
- 70% of the time, the championship team was a better PPG team than PA team. This includes the '00 Lakers who were tops in PPG and second to last in PA, and the last two Laker championship teams who were 3rd and 4th PPG and 9th and 8th PA; also remember, the 09 Nuggets were two inbound passes away from a Finals with by far the to PPG and a horrendous PA.

Stops lead to opportunities, but what if you can't capitalize on those opportunities? To better word it, could you say Offensive Efficiency > Defense? That's not to be extreme and say the D'Antoni Suns should've won championships -- shooting the ball within 7 seconds of a possession limits your ability to be fouled, so you can say they were proficient but not efficient -- but that when it comes to it, the guy that can clutch put a ball in the basket rather than stop it is pretty important. You certainly have "Havlicek steals the ball!" but you also have "And there's a steal by Bird.....underneath to DJ" (who lays it in, right?).

Like I said, just food for thought as the game evolves.

:shrug: Seeing as only two teams have won a championship without a top ten defense in the last 22 years and 6 teams have done it without a top ten offense, I'm inclined to disagree. I mean, offense is certainly important, but I don't think it's more important.

JasonJohnHorn
03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
You can win without D.

Rentzias
03-10-2011, 11:13 AM
:shrug: Seeing as only two teams have won a championship without a top ten defense in the last 22 years and 6 teams have done it without a top ten offense, I'm inclined to disagree. I mean, offense is certainly important, but I don't think it's more important.

Again, if you read the material, you can't quantify 22 years as one piece, as the game has evolved since then, rules have changed, strategies have changed. The argument isn't that it's ALWAYS that offense > defense, but that in an NBA game today, and possibly going forward, that could be the case.

Swashcuff
03-10-2011, 11:13 AM
You can win without D.

And you'd have to be supremely great on offense to do so.

Minimal
03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Check Chicago Bulls. Defense.

DaBUU
03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
I don't know. I don't buy that at all. I've never heard that defense starts from the outside in. Not once in my life. Maybe I'm also skewed because I watch the Magic all the time, but I really find that hard to believe.

Help defense basically is the name of the game. That's what team defense is...just a special name for help defense. Any type of switch is help. Any double team is help. Anytime someone pops out on a pick and roll, that's help. Rarely do all five guys stay on their men for an entire position, and the switches that matter most are the ones that come from the post. And most plays end up closer to the rim than they started, so again, that's getting at involving the more interior level of defense more. If a perimeter guy gets beat, the post defense is their to clean up. It's more fool proof.

It's easier to expose a team that has a weak post defense than it is to expose a team with a weak perimeter defense. That's my very strong opinion. Again, it might be severely biased from watching the Magic, but that's always what I've heard and believed even before watching Dwight and Shaq.

Agreed. with the hand checking rules now on perimeter, its impossible to really keep fast players in front of you. Good help defense is the key to a good defense.

Hawkeye15
03-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Is that question serious ?

Offense wins games. Defense wins Championships. (every bballer should know that btw)

a common myth.

You need a balance of both. If you have a crappy offense, and great defense, you are the Bobcats from last season.

But I would be surprised to find out that many of the past 10 championship teams didn't rank top 10 on both sides of the ball.

Rentzias
03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
This year's top wins teams and OFF/DEF rtgs:
SA - 3/7
BOS - 14/2
DAL - 9/12
LAK - 2/8
CHI - 17/1
MIA - 6/6
ORL - 12/3
OKC - 5/16
NOH - 22/5
DEN - 1/17

It'll be good to check how these ratings change, adjusted for, in the playoffs and how they finish.

Swashcuff
03-10-2011, 11:44 AM
a common myth.

You need a balance of both. If you have a crappy offense, and great defense, you are the Bobcats from last season.

But I would be surprised to find out that many of the past 10 championship teams didn't rank top 10 on both sides of the ball.

:nod:

PhillyFaninLA
03-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Defense wins championships is a cliche but its a cliche for a reason. Offense looks shiny and flashy and gets people excited but it tends to get people to over value a team or player. Defense wins pure and simple.

There is a reason the Spurs, Celtics, and Lakers have won titles and the Suns didn't.

effen5
03-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Check Chicago Bulls. Defense.

You know whats crazy about the Bulls? Since the beginning of December, Bulls have given up 100 points only 6 times....Thats how ridiculous there defense is.

But just for fun on the other end of the spectrum, the Knicks, they have given up 100 4 times already in March.

Rentzias
03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I'll phrase it this way then, to avoid extreme examples like Suns and Maverick-beating-Warriors: as a GM, would you rather build a roster of players whose offense/defense skill balance is 40/60 or 60/40? I'm taking the 60/40. On otherwise evenly matched terms, the better offensive team should win a shootout as well as a defensive standoff.

Bornknick73
03-10-2011, 06:27 PM
This year's top wins teams and OFF/DEF rtgs:
SA - 3/7
BOS - 14/2
DAL - 9/12
LAK - 2/8
CHI - 17/1
MIA - 6/6
ORL - 12/3
OKC - 5/16
NOH - 22/5
DEN - 1/17

It'll be good to check how these ratings change, adjusted for, in the playoffs and how they finish.

The eventual champion will have a top 10 defense. In 27 years only 2 teams won without a top ten defense.

2 out of 27 is a 1% chance to win without one.

LA, SA, BOS or CHI will be the champion this year.

DJakk
03-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Celtics and Spurs. All defense. East leader, West leader. Kind of important.

bulldog312
03-10-2011, 06:36 PM
I really don't believe either phase is more important than the other. Team defense is equally important to team offense. They both account for half the game.

Bornknick73
03-10-2011, 06:37 PM
10-4th
09-6th
08-1st
07-2nd
06-9th
05-1st
04-2nd
03-3rd
02-7th
01-21st
00-1st
99-1st
98- 3rd
97- 4th
96- 1st
95-12th
94- 2nd
93- 7th
92- 4th
91- 7th
90- 2nd
89- 3rd
88- 9th
87- 7th
86- 1st
85- 7th
84- 3rd
83- 5th

Its amazing that with all the evidence to show how important defense is to winning the championship people still argue it.

Ive been fighting this fight for awhile now in the Knicks forums. We can score 120 a night but if were giving up 125 what sense does it make?

Out of the 27 how many had a top 5 defense? 18
How many had a top 3 defense? 14
How many had a top 10 defense? 25

25 out of 27 or 99% of NBA champions had a top 10 defense. So for those that dont think defense is more important than offense....

Defense wins championships is a myth?:facepalm:

then theres 27 years of myth busting for your ***.

Rentzias
03-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Again, you're not accounting for the game changing. It's not the same rules that the past 27 teams have all played under. For each example of the Knicks, there are the Bucks, who are 4th in DRtg this year with 29 wins to show for it cause they're dead last in ORtg. Six of the past 11 championship teams since 2000 got worse defensively in the playoffs and still won.

romaldinho
03-10-2011, 07:54 PM
You cant rely on your Offense to be firing on all cylinders every night but you can rely on Defense.
Defense=Consistency

soonabooma
03-10-2011, 11:51 PM
I'll put it this way. If I had to choose between Thabo Sefolosha and James Harden knowing that we could only keep one with us in our quest for a championship, I'm taking Sefolosha every time. Defense wins championships and he's our best defender. Every team needs those guys, and you're not gonna win anything significant without them. Every team has scorers but not every team plays good defense, and those teams will never achieve anything great. The ones that value good defense will be the ones left standing in the end every time.

Of course, it's easy for me to say this when we have the highest scoring duo in the league in OKC. ;)

ElMarroAfamado
03-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Its very important because for teams like the Heat that suck and their two stars can only dunk and lay the ball up... it is vital because thats how guys like them get their easy hoops and they dont have to worry about defenders when they play good defense and it results in dunks or layups.

CityofTreez
03-11-2011, 02:42 AM
Its very important because for teams like the Heat that suck and their two stars can only dunk and lay the ball up... it is vital because thats how guys like them get their easy hoops and they dont have to worry about defenders when they play good defense and it results in dunks or layups.

Looking at your sig, why should I even take you seriously!

What do you know about defense?

Doogolas
03-11-2011, 02:45 AM
Again, you're not accounting for the game changing. It's not the same rules that the past 27 teams have all played under. For each example of the Knicks, there are the Bucks, who are 4th in DRtg this year with 29 wins to show for it cause they're dead last in ORtg. Six of the past 11 championship teams since 2000 got worse defensively in the playoffs and still won.

You still have to have a good offense. But only 2 teams of the last 27 haven't had a top ten D while something like 7 didn't have a top ten offense. But you can't have an anemic offense and still win it all.

Rentzias
03-11-2011, 11:14 AM
You still have to have a good offense. But only 2 teams of the last 27 haven't had a top ten D while something like 7 didn't have a top ten offense. But you can't have an anemic offense and still win it all.

Right, the Baltimore Ravens formula doesn't work in the NBA. I think "defense wins championships" has been applied to multiple sports, but I think it shares a bit more of the spotlight with offense in the NBA for sure, you need that balance. In hockey/football where one score wins, sure, but not in a sport with this pace.

GREATNESS ONE
03-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Is this a serious question?

marlinsfan24
03-11-2011, 11:23 AM

You clearly love baiting and don't know much about basketball.

:facepalm:

BTW, nice comparison in your sig. 27-7-7=16-5-2? WOW

magichatnumber9
03-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Defense wins championshipsThis

jezzyman05
03-11-2011, 11:36 AM
no suns have jack squat because of hip check from horry and jj getting a smashed face.

omg!!!! Get over it!!!!!!!!

Lake_Show2416
03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
solid defense sets up easy offense... they compliment each other, if u wanna win in the playoffs u must be a good defensive team

in the playoffs these past 2 years Lakers have been a better Defensve team then offensive cuz that is what it takes to win