PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Hollins; My NBA Coach of the Year

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 12:03 PM
At this point in the season, I am leaning towards Lionel Hollins as the coach of the year. The Grizz continue to climb the Western Conference Ladder and have managed to obtain a record of 36-29 while being only 1.5 games out of 5th in the West. Over their last 24 games Memphis sits a pretty 18-6. I don't think anyone expected the Grizz to be in the playoff picture this season and Hollins has managed to get all his players to buy into his system and principals. Zach Randolph is playing some of his best basketball of the season and Collins/the team has managed to improve the teams record despite the absence of star player Rudy Gay. I really like what he has done with Tony Allen and his work with Michael Conley has really payed off.

If they continue to get better, I think Hollins case only gets that much better for coach of the year. I just had to give this guy some respect for what he is doing in Memphis. Anyone else agree or have someone else in mind.

sammid21
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Hollins is a good coach. but Coach of the year belongs to Tom Thibodeau, not trying to be a homer but the Bulls already surpassed the total wins they had all season last year, and have one of the best defenses in the league. And its his first year as a head coach. Also the East has gotten tougher and is probably balanced toughness with the west

flclfanman
03-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Not even close. ATL is on pace to finish worse than what they did last year. There are more deserving coaches IMO.

bovice163
03-09-2011, 12:31 PM
No way. Collins has a much better shot at COY since taking basically the same Sixers roster as last year, and has that team with a winning record. At this point, COY is between Popovich and Thibodeau, with Collins a far runner-up. Hell, even Monty Williams has a better shot at the award than Hollins.

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Not even close. ATL is on pace to finish worse than what they did last year. There are more deserving coaches IMO.

ATL... we are talking about Memphis.

valade16
03-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Hollins doesn't even deserve it over Nate McMillan, and there are a number of coaches that deserve it over him.

The Griz have a worse record than the Blazers and the Blazers were missing their "rudy gay" (B Roy) not to mention Camby and a whole host of others for short periods of time.

Griz are 18-6, but blazers are 11-3 in their last 14...

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Hollins doesn't even deserve it over Nate McMillan, and there are a number of coaches that deserve it over him.

The Griz have a worse record than the Blazers and the Blazers were missing their "rudy gay" (B Roy) not to mention Camby and a whole host of others for short periods of time.

I think what Hollins is doing is simply being over looked here. The Grizz are finally putting thing together and I am banking on them beating the Blazers in the standings this year.

valade16
03-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Hollins is a good coach. but Coach of the year belongs to Tom Thibodeau, not trying to be a homer but the Bulls already surpassed the total wins they had all season last year, and have one of the best defenses in the league. And its his first year as a head coach. Also the East has gotten tougher and is probably balanced toughness with the west

Agreed right up until that last sentence...

West has 11 teams over .500, east has 7.

West has the best 2 records in the league and the defending champs.

West is still far superior to the east.

flclfanman
03-09-2011, 12:37 PM
ATL... we are talking about Memphis.

Oops.

That's what happens when you're running on 4 hours of sleep

Memphis has been playing great this year, but as I said earlier, I think they're more deserving coaches this year; such as Collins in Philly or Thibs in Chicago

magichatnumber9
03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Thibs for CoY

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Oops.

That's what happens when you're running on 4 hours of sleep

Memphis has been playing great this year, but as I said earlier, I think they're more deserving coaches this year; such as Collins in Philly or Thibs in Chicago

The 76ers are barely above .500. I don see Collins gets it over Hollins. I can understand Popovich and Thibs but I think the expectations of the Grizz in the west coupled with the record of the Grizz gives Hollins the edge.

Melo15
03-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I think it's going to go to Popovich. You can make a legitimate argument for several coaches though.

valade16
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I think what Hollins is doing is simply being over looked here. The Grizz are finally putting thing together and I am banking on them beating the Blazers in the standings this year.

If you think the Griz are gonna finish better than the Blazers prepare for disapointment now...

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 12:45 PM
I think it's going to go to Popovich. You can make a legitimate argument for several coaches though.

I would have no issue if he won but I think the race is tighter than some people may think.

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 12:45 PM
If you think the Griz are gonna finish better than the Blazers prepare for disapointment now...

Why, care to back it up your opinion.

lilojmayo
03-09-2011, 12:46 PM

It is no question the Bulls's coach that will win the award. hands down .

But Hollins's deserves to be runner up. And you fail to mention that our last 17 games we have played without Rudy Gay or OJ Mayo. OJ was suspended 10 games, 1 game during that stretch Gay was out with injury. ( Beat OKC w/o Gay or Mayo). Mayo came back and Rudy got hurt. We have not missed a beat and we are beating the elite teams.

Shows you just how much depth we have, one man goes down another comes and fills in.

The-Human-Cigar
03-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Thibodeau if you buy into a coach making the difference in a club climbing up the conference ladder as opposed to players being acquired that have made them better.

Pop could be told his team has been "under-achieving" since they won their last championships. Where did all the titles go in between? Where has "this" spurs team been? Tony Parker's kryptonite finally got shook off, that's what... ;)

Collins maybe. The 76ers likely would have been worse this year. He has done a good job with what is there in Philly. Being just above .500 though isn't a "glowing" recommendation.

GeekInThePink
03-09-2011, 12:48 PM
My Vote is for either Pops or Thibs.

lilojmayo

OP, it is going to be hard to surpass the Blazers ( even though there is like a 1.5 game difference). Grizzlies have a brutal schedule in the month of March and it simply doesn't get any easier for them. Knicks tonight, Heat next, Atlanta after.

There schedule is the only thing that could hold them back. I said it before i'll say it again the Grizzlies are a top 5 team out West in terms of how good they are regardless of the season ended record.

Mile High Champ
It is no question the Bulls's coach that will win the award. hands down .

But Hollins's deserves to be runner up. And you fail to mention that our last 17 games we have played without Rudy Gay or OJ Mayo. OJ was suspended 10 games, 1 game during that stretch Gay was out with injury. ( Beat OKC w/o Gay or Mayo). Mayo came back and Rudy got hurt. We have not missed a beat and we are beating the elite teams.

Shows you just how much depth we have, one man goes down another comes and fills in.

A lot of people over look Memphis but I think when the playoffs hit, that will no longer be the case.

ManRam
03-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I like Hollins a lot. I think it's between him, Thibs and Popps.

I'm going with Thibs though. The Bulls have turned around mainly because of their defense. The change on that end has been tremendous. Rose has gotten significantly better, and they have added some new guys, but the the biggest change has been the defense, and the one thing that you can point to to explain that is Thibs. Offensively their gains have been marginal, defensively, it's been tremendous...and we know what Thibs is known for.

valade16
03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
OP, it is going to be hard to surpass the Blazers ( even though there is like a 1.5 game difference). Grizzlies have a brutal schedule in the month of March and it simply doesn't get any easier for them. Knicks tonight, Heat next, Atlanta after.

There schedule is the only thing that could hold them back. I said it before i'll say it again the Grizzlies are a top 5 team out West in terms of how good they are regardless of the season ended record.

Blazers > Grizzlies.

They had a better record and added an all-star in Gerald Wallace. Their bench features gerald wallace and brandon freaking roy.

As good as Zbo has been aldridge has been just as good if not better. They have an absurd amount of quality contributors like andre miller, camby, batum, mathews, rudy fernandez...

The blazers are perhaps the most over-looked team in the nba (even over the griz).

drama1386
03-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Thibs for CoY

this.

The Jokemaker
03-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Gotta be Hollins. He has really got these guys playing good ball. After the performance last year and they turned it around to the way they're playing this season and could possibly get the 5th seed in the playoffs. All this mind you without any bigtime free agent acquisitions (See Boozer, Carlos). People continually underestimate and overlook Memphis which is a true travesty. Brilliant coach who deserves his due.

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Blazers > Grizzlies.

They had a better record and added an all-star in Gerald Wallace. Their bench features gerald wallace and brandon freaking roy.

As good as Zbo has been aldridge has been just as good if not better. They have an absurd amount of quality contributors like andre miller, camby, batum, mathews, rudy fernandez...

The blazers are perhaps the most over-looked team in the nba (even over the griz).

Come on man, don`t start with that kind of stuff to make an argument. I think both teams are very even. I think the Grizz have the stronger front court and they are much better at PG. At the wings, the edge goes to the Blazers but I believe the Grizz have one of the leagues deepest benches when Gay comes back. Arthur, Young, Battier & Mayo is simply awesome. I will take the Grizz over the Blazers.

valade16
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Come on man, don`t start with that kind of stuff to make an argument. I think both teams are very even. I think the Grizz have the stronger front court and they are much better at PG. At the wings, the edge goes to the Blazers but I believe the Grizz have one of the leagues deepest benches when Gay comes back. Arthur, Young, Battier & Mayo is simply awesome. I will take the Grizz over the Blazers.

Your actually using the deep bench argument against the Blazers? That's cute...

Gasol and zbo vs camby and aldridge doesn't lead me to the conclusion that the Grizzlies frontcourt is any better.

That entire bench combined doesn't have the ability of Roy, much less adding a 2nd former all-star like gerald wallace.

Luckily for us though, we will actually get to see as all we have to do is wait to see what their records will be...

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Your actually using the deep bench argument against the Blazers? That's cute...

Gasol and zbo vs camby and aldridge doesn't lead me to the conclusion that the Grizzlies frontcourt is any better.

That entire bench combined doesn't have the ability of Roy, much less adding a 2nd former all-star like gerald wallace.

Luckily for us though, we will actually get to see as all we have to do is wait to see what their records will be...

You make it sound like this is Vintage Brandon Roy or even the Gerald Wallace from last year. The truth is, neither is the case. Roy has seen his game drop off significantly due to not having any cartilage left in his knees and Wallace is having an awful year statistically compared to last season. I have also been shocked about how much he has regressed defensively this season.

valade16
03-09-2011, 01:23 PM
You make it sound like this is Vintage Brandon Roy or even the Gerald Wallace from last year. The truth is, neither is the case. Roy has seen his game drop off significantly due to not having any cartilage left in his knees and Wallace is having an awful year statistically compared to last season. I have also been shocked about how much he has regressed defensively this season.

Well then watch him on the blazers, he has been playing extremely well after the initial game (ie once getti g his rhythm and knowin the plays). He's forcing turnovers and stealing balls like crazy while averaging like 9 boards a game for us now...

And roy's game hasn't dropped off since his return, he's just been unable to sustain his vintage for a prolonged period in a game. He's same old roy for 20 mins a night. Heck he's been back like 3 games and he already has an amazing game tying 3 vs Denver to go along with 18 points in 20 mins (which we went on to win in OT), and a 3/3 3pter showing (including the last one to essentially ice the win) vs the heat (finished with like 15 pts in 23 mins).

Grizzlies are a good team, don't get me wrong, they clearly belong in the 2nd tier of west teams (OKC, Por, Griz, Den) but I just don't see them as better than Por...

Corey
03-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Thibs is my coach of the year, personally.

metsbulls1025
03-09-2011, 01:37 PM
It has to be Thibs. 8 new players and we already have more wins than last year. Defense is number 1 in the league and that is all Thibs.

Raph12
03-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Easily Thibideau... Easily.

ttam68
03-09-2011, 02:31 PM
You're better than this, he has loads of talents and the team is mediocre. Not really surpassing expectations.

1. Thibs
2. Doug Collins
3. Popovich

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
You're better than this, he has loads of talents and the team is mediocre. Not really surpassing expectations.

1. Thibs
2. Doug Collins
3. Popovich

Sorry I am a bit confused on who you are talking to and what you are trying to say.

flclfanman
03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
The 76ers are barely above .500. I don see Collins gets it over Hollins. I can understand Popovich and Thibs but I think the expectations of the Grizz in the west coupled with the record of the Grizz gives Hollins the edge.

But you must remember, the Sixers started 3-13. Add the fact that the worse start to ever make playoffs is 0-13 then that shows you that Collins has righted the ship there. Sixers are beating good teams and Collins is a reason behind it.

My Vote is for either Pops or Thibs.
+1

A lot of people over look Memphis but I think when the playoffs hit, that will no longer be the case.

If Memphis can push SA to 6 or 7 games then yes, more people will take notice. I know Hollins is doing a great job in Memphis but he's running with stiff competition. Just saying.

Mile High Champ
03-10-2011, 09:36 AM
But you must remember, the Sixers started 3-13. Add the fact that the worse start to ever make playoffs is 0-13 then that shows you that Collins has righted the ship there. Sixers are beating good teams and Collins is a reason behind it.

I don't think a record just better than .500 is enough to win the coach of the year honor. I am impressed with Collins but he is nowhere on coach of the year consideration in my mind.

Antipod
03-10-2011, 10:04 AM
The winner should be the dude that coaches Bulls :D

TO Rapz
03-10-2011, 10:31 AM
I think that the winner of this years COY depends on how the teams do in the playoffs.
IMO COY is down to Thibodeau, Hollins and Popovich.

If the Bulls have a 1st round exit, and the Grizz get to the 2nd round or higher, I think you give it to Hollins.

If the Spurs win it all, you give it to Pops.

If the Bulls get past that 1st round, you give it to Tom.