PDA

View Full Version : Is Atlanta Primed for a Strong Post Season?

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 11:51 AM
I know some people on here will dismiss the Hawks outright but I think they could be a very tough out in the first round and could even see them going deep in the playoff depending on the Match up. To this point the Hawks match up with the Rest of the East like this.

Beat the Bulls in their only meeting so far (Jan 18th)
Beat the Heat in Miami in their only meeting so far (March 2nd)
Lead the season series with the Magic 2-1
Split Season Series with the Knicks
Swept by the Celtics in the season series

Other than their inability to beat the Celtics, the Hawks seem capable of beating any other team in the East. I think the addition of Kirk Hinrich will have a tremendous impact on their team. Every season, the Hawks have failed to have a solid and dependable player at the PG position and Hinrich provides the leadership, scoring and defense to help solidify the Hawks starting 5. I also think the improvements of Horford and Smith should help the Hawks be a tougher out than they were last season. The Big question remains, Can Joe Johnson deliver in the playoffs. What are your thoughts?

todu82
03-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I see the Hawks finishing 5th in the East, I think they could beat Miami and give Orlando and Chicago a run for their money. They're a team not to be took lightly.

JordansBulls
03-09-2011, 12:19 PM
I know some people on here will dismiss the Hawks outright but I think they could be a very tough out in the first round and could even see them going deep in the playoff depending on the Match up. To this point the Hawks match up with the Rest of the East like this.

Other than their inability to beat the Celtics, the Hawks seem capable of beating any other team in the East. I think the addition of Kirk Hinrich will have a tremendous impact on their team. Every season, the Hawks have failed to have a solid and dependable player at the PG position and Hinrich provides the leadership, scoring and defense to help solidify the Hawks starting 5. I also think the improvements of Horford and Smith should help the Hawks be a tougher out than they were last season. The Big question remains, Can Joe Johnson deliver in the playoffs. What are your thoughts?

Honestly I don't see it, in fact they probably will lose to Orlando in round 1.

flclfanman
03-09-2011, 12:25 PM
No.

Yes, you beat Chicago, but I don't see you getting pass Chicago

Also you guys have problems scoring on the Knicks, who give up points like they're going out of style. I see ATL as 1 and done as a 5th seed.

Wilson
03-09-2011, 12:26 PM
They'll cause problems but I still think the second round is their ceiling. I just don't think you can win with Joe Johnson as your best player, and I think the huge contract they gave him was just a lateral move that will translate to the same results of the past few years.

bovice163
03-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I don't see it either. Their roster is basically the same as it has been in the past, and they haven't been able to elevate their play in the post-season to beat out the Elite teams. Can they frustrate and scare the hell out of some teams? Definitely. But when it comes down to it, I don't think they're able to beat most of the Elite squads in a 7 game series. I agree with JB, I don't think they'll be able to beat the Magic in the first round, though I could be wrong since Orlando really traded away some very good pieces that were invaluable to their success, for underachieving players.

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I don't see it either. Their roster is basically the same as it has been in the past, and they haven't been able to elevate their play in the post-season to beat out the Elite teams. Can they frustrate and scare the hell out of some teams? Definitely. But when it comes down to it, I don't think they're able to beat most of the Elite squads in a 7 game series. I agree with JB, I don't think they'll be able to beat the Magic in the first round, though I could be wrong since Orlando really traded away some very good pieces that were invaluable to their success, for underachieving players.

I disagree. Al Hoford and Josh Smith have only gotten better this season. For one Horford was no where close to be the low post scorer he is this season. Plus I think a lot of people are really underestimating what Hinrich will bring to this team at the PG position.

The-Human-Cigar
03-09-2011, 12:34 PM
The Hawks are good. Beating a team on your home court like the Bulls is a nice little adrenaline shot in the arm as well that should last a few games. Unfortunately if they don't get home court throughout the playoffs, trying to win on a higher seeded team's court when all they have lost is 4 or 5 games all season at home will be an up hill battle all the way. Not happening.

So depends on who they draw first round. Right now I think they could have a chance against an Orlando or Miami as I haven't been that impressed with their play as of late. If the Magic and Heat get a burr up their ******* like the Lakers have had though and start streaking then it's a first round exit for sure for the Hawks or anyone else they draw.

Kirk Hinrich was one of my favorite PG's to come out of Kansas. He can only help the Hawks. But he isn't the same player from 5-10 years ago. But he can at least direct an offense and provide good perimeter shooting.

Knickrocketsfan
03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
No.

Yes, you beat Chicago, but I don't see you getting pass Chicago

Also you guys have problems scoring on the Knicks, who give up points like they're going out of style. I see ATL as 1 and done as a 5th seed.

you guys had that same problem. Oh wait you were missing ppl:rolleyes:

GeekInThePink
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I see them at best a team that makes it into the second round, I don't really have any valid reasons for my prediction, I just feel like this team isn't a championship contender.

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I see them at best a team that makes it into the second round, I don't really have any valid reasons for my prediction, I just feel like this team isn't a championship contender.

I agree, not a championship team for sure but I think they could knock off Miami, Chicago or Olando in the the first round.

Lakerhead4ever
03-09-2011, 12:58 PM
imo no. they play with no passion down there. and joe johnson is a terrific player, but he seems to lose confidence when hes not doing good in a game.

and there fans down there cheers for other teams smh, it has to be discouraging to the hawks players bcuz they been in the same spot for the past 3 yrs, no improvement imo

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 01:11 PM
imo no. they play with no passion down there. and joe johnson is a terrific player, but he seems to lose confidence when hes not doing good in a game.

and there fans down there cheers for other teams smh, it has to be discouraging to the hawks players bcuz they been in the same spot for the past 3 yrs, no improvement imo

Josh Smith and Al Horford have both made significant strides in their games this year, I don`t see how they have had no improvement this year.

iggypop123
03-09-2011, 01:17 PM
probably not the best time to post when they got raped by the lakers. they lack one thing. size. if they see the magic again expect a sweep.

king4day
03-09-2011, 01:18 PM
With the resurgence of Philly, unless you have a top 2 seed, there's no way to gauge who's going to make a big run.

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 01:34 PM
probably not the best time to post when they got raped by the lakers. they lack one thing. size. if they see the magic again expect a sweep.

They have beaten the Magic twice this year. I don`t see a sweep if those two teams met.

k24magic
03-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Atlanta is a good team. Still you cant win with Joe Johnson being your best player I mean look at his performances the last few years he has done absolutely nothing. Al Horford is really good love the way he plays but, the playoffs are a different animal. I dont think they will beat Miami, Chicago, or Orlando its first round exit again. In the playoffs James and Wade are gonna be scary IF their role players step up and start helping them. Orlando if Howard gets going and the Magic are knocking down there jumpers and playing defense then they have no chance. Like I said the Hawks are a nice team but they need more pieces and play through Horford because you cant win with Johnson.

Lakerhead4ever
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Josh Smith and Al Horford have both made significant strides in their games this year, I don`t see how they have had no improvement this year.

as a team they havent. and josh smith is very talented but cant shoot worth ****, still he racks up threes, al horford has really impressed me tho. but as a team they arent getting better. i dnt think they have a chance

jkcronyn
03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
one of the most overrated teams in the nba and until the move past the second round in the playoffs i'll stick to that

Public Enemy #1
03-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Regular season wins don't matter when it comes to the playoffs. Unless I'm missing something and the Hawks have a serious advantage over the Magic/Heat/Bulls they won't have a shot vs any of them. They are a good team but I don't think Hinrich makes them that much better to put them over the top.

Raph12
03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
I'd rather play the Hawks than the Knicks tbh...

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
I'd rather play the Hawks than the Knicks tbh...

I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion.

sixer04fan
03-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Not to be a hater, I think the Hawks are decent... But at this point it's feasible they could finish 7th in the East behind NY/Philly. Maybe that's just me being dumb, but the standings are getting tight.

Mile High Champ
03-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Not to be a hater, I think the Hawks are decent... But at this point it's feasible they could finish 7th in the East behind NY/Philly. Maybe that's just me being dumb, but the standings are getting tight.

With the way Philly is playing I don`t see how that is possible. They have too many games to make up. I also doubt New York finishes higher than 6.

Sadds The Gr8
03-09-2011, 04:01 PM
no they're just a glorified regular season team. they're gonna get smoked in the playoffs like they always do

sixer04fan
03-09-2011, 04:21 PM
With the way Philly is playing I don`t see how that is possible. They have too many games to make up. I also doubt New York finishes higher than 6.

Well the Sixers are only 3.5 gb from the Hawks now, and have one of the league's best records recently (16-5 in the last 21). Considering the Hawks have lost 3 in a row and have Chicago next, anything could happen.

Again, not hating on the Hawks, I think they're legit, but it is possible for Philly and/or NY to still catch them. Either way, don't be shocked if one or more of the 5-7 seeds pulls off a first round upset, whether that's Atlanta, New York, or Philly.

abe_froman
03-09-2011, 04:22 PM
no,cant trust joe johnson in the postseason until proven otherwise

THE Vernon
03-09-2011, 04:22 PM
They are like the Mavs/ Jazz. Always in the playoffs but don't make much noise. No disrespect to those teams though, I'm a Warrior fan.

RZZZA
03-09-2011, 04:24 PM
they beat us, but didn't we have a huge double digit lead in that game, like 20 points or something?

I think we underestimated them and the hawks in general are underestimated. But I don't remember Hinrich being a particular problem for us in that game. Al Horford was

Nighthawk
03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
whats a strong post season? They wont get past the 2nd round. If thats strong...then sure.

But they wont get to the ECF

hawks4
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
As a die hard Hawks fan, I question how successful the team will be in the playoffs. The Hawks need to make big changes in order to be a contender in the Eastern Conference, and even in the entire league. The Hawks for some reason think they are a jump shooting team, which not very many teams are very good at to begin with. Also, we have been plagued with woes at the center position ever since Mutombo was traded years ago, which presents a problem against the bigs in the East. As big as a fan of the Hawks as I am, I'm going to be real about this question........Unfortunately, I don't see the Hawks getting out of the first round. Reason being, is because of their inability to run the kind of offense that makes a team successful in this league. Make changes (for real this time) in the offseason, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, the Hawks will get the respect they deserve.

In the meantime, I'm going to start a campaign for Dwight Howard to come back home.....

blahblahyoutoo
03-09-2011, 04:40 PM

no. without looking at the upcoming schedule of 3-6 seeds, they're a lock for 5th unless the knicks go on a tear.
2-4 might flip flop around, but regardless of where the magic, heat or bulls end up, i don't see atlanta beating any of them in a series.
JJ has proven he is worth nowhere near what his contract implies.

Missing56&33
03-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I thought they were on their way with Mike Woodson coaching them to a 7th game vs Boston in the playoffs a couple of years ago. I was one that thought Mike Woodson was a bad coach and couldn't reach the players but he seem to have gotten through to them and they had something special happening there but then fired him.........now they just have no identity and Jamal Crawford is a ball shooting jock.

No they will be gone in the first round this year, whoever they play.

Mile High Champ
04-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Looks like Atlanta got it done in the first round. Can they continue this?

Hawkeye15
04-29-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't think they can get past the Bulls and their defense.

Kashmir13579
04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
It really depends on how efficiently Crawford shoots the ball and whether or not Hinrich will be healthy. before Hinrich went down i had the Hawks upsetting the Bulls.

Mile High Champ
04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't think they can get past the Bulls and their defense.

But I do think it is possible. Atlanta showed a lot of grit and poise in the series against the Magic. They could very well make a run of things for the Bulls. I don't think many people believed they could even win one round and look where they are now..

cubswin25
04-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Looks like Atlanta got it done in the first round. Can they continue this?
?

My opinion the Hawks aren't a very good team, and the Bulls should beat them pretty easily.

Shmontaine
04-29-2011, 03:12 PM
But I do think it is possible. Atlanta showed a lot of grit and poise in the series against the Magic. They could very well make a run of things for the Bulls. I don't think many people believed they could even win one round and look where they are now..

Round 1 showed more about the magic than the hawks... they're the same team they always have been.. up and down.. undisciplined... Hinrich being injured doesn't help they're chances, in fact it pretty much eliminates them..

sep11ie
04-29-2011, 03:14 PM
My opinion the Hawks aren't a very good team, and the Bulls should beat them pretty easily.

Are you saying he Pacers are a better team than the Hawks?

redwhitenblue
04-29-2011, 03:16 PM
The last 2+1/2 months, the Pacers were much better than the Hawks.

xxcubs22xx
04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
With or without Hinrich they won't be able to get past the Bulls.

Nikeman
04-29-2011, 03:22 PM
I actually think Atlanta has a good chance to beat chicago.

Why? They have many people who can do things, Chicago has one.

Position by position:

Center:
Horford=Noah. Why? Horford can score the ball, but Noah has much better defense.
Josh Smith>Boozer- Smith is MUCH more versatile
Deng>Marvin Williams- Both solid players, I give Deng the edge
Joe Johnson>>>>>>>>>Keith Bogans- Huge Hawks advantage
Hinrich<<<<<<<<<Rose- We all know Rose is the MVP!

Bench:
Atl- Crawford is huge for them!

ATL has some match-up advantages, and I expect them to fully exploit them.. the Bulls defense is a ton better, so the Hawks have to play some great ball to win

redwhitenblue
04-29-2011, 03:24 PM
So we're ignoring the Bulls bench, including Korver, Brewer and Gibson?

Crawford is a great scorer, but the Bulls bench is better than the Hawks bench.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Hawks went 14-20 Feb-April

cubswin25
04-29-2011, 03:27 PM

Anything is possible, but it's probably unlikely. As a Hawks fan I know you want to give the Hawks credit for winning that series. But I think it had more to do with everyone on the Magic besides Dwight having a terrible series. If the Magic even have two other guys besides Dwight performing well they win that series probably in 6. You had Jason Richardson shoot 35 percent, Hedo shoot 30 percent, Nelson 38 percent, Redick 36 percent and so on. If two of those guys are hot the Magic win this series(when you consider the Hawks won three close games), and it's not like the Hawks played GREAT defense to shut them down. The Bulls are a whole different animal here. They are the best defense in the league and best rebounding team in the league.

So don't expect guys like Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford to be averaging 18-20 PPG in this series against the Bulls or to out hassle the Bulls for rebounds. Especially since the Bulls defense eats up ISO offense(Hawks averaged like 80 PPG against them in the regular season). Not to mention I don't think you will see Deng, Noah, Boozer, Korver and others struggle as badly as the Magic players did. Plus people can debate who should be the MVP Rose or Howard all they want. But late in games when you need a basket, Rose is going to get points and carry his team better then Howard does. Especially when you consider the free throw shooting difference. So anything is possible, the Bulls might not show up, or maybe the Hawks are better then anyone thinks they are. But it's a lot more likely that this series will end up like the last two second round series for the Hawks, then them actually winning this series.

SteBO
04-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Hawks went 14-20 Feb-April

The Hawks will give the Bulls a run for their money. However, the Bulls will win the series because they're a better team. Hinrich being injured also certainly doesn't help ATL either.

cubswin25
04-29-2011, 03:33 PM

The Hawks are the more talented team, but the Bulls match up better with the Hawks then they did with the Pacers. In the NBA it's all match ups, and things the Pacers did like move the ball well on offense that bothered the Bulls defense at times. Along with the Pacers being a decent rebounding team and playing hard physical defense. The Hawks often play one on one offense, which the Bulls defense shuts down(reason why Hawks could only get 80 PPG against them in the regular season). Plus the Bulls are a very good rebounding team, and the Hawks are a mediocre rebounding team. Also I don't see them playing hard physical defense, like the Pacers did. At least they didn't play that way against the Magic. Also consider that the Pacers were playing a lot better then the Hawks going into the playoffs, and even beat the Hawks a few weeks ago. So the Hawks might have more talent. But I think the Hawks could be a easier match up for the Bulls.

cubswin25
04-29-2011, 03:46 PM
The Hawks will give the Bulls a run for their money. However, the Bulls will win the series because they're a better team. Hinrich being injured also certainly doesn't help ATL either.

If I had to guess right now. I would say there's two blow outs or comfortable wins(10 plus points) for the Bulls in this series. Then three other close games, with the Bulls winning two of them. I think the Hawks will have the same problem late in games as the Pacers did. Rose won't be stopped, and the Hawks don't have that superstar to respond. The Bulls defense isn't going to let Jamal Crawford or Joe Johnson score big baskets on them late. Just like they didn't with guys like Danny Granger or Darren Collison.

FriedTofuz
04-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Without a healthy Hinrich, they arent primed. They need everyone to be healthy and clicking offensivly and defensively.