PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Mavericks showed serious interest in Ricky Rubio

AI4MVP
03-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Among spectators at Target Center on Monday evening watching his Dallas Mavericks win their 46th game by bouncing the Minnesota Timberwolves, who lost their 50th, was Mavs owner Mark Cuban.

Cuban sees better days for the Wolves.

"I think (Minnesota) has a star in the making in Ricky Rubio," Cuban said.

Cuban, who has a passion for basketball, said he has seen the young Spaniard point guard play several times. The Wolves chose Rubio with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2009 NBA draft when he was just 18 years old.

The Wolves are confident Rubio will play for them next season. But if they want to trade him, Cuban said, they'll have a buyer.

"We're very high on him," Cuban said. "If they want to give him up, we're very interested. We would do that in a heartbeat."

The year the Wolves drafted Rubio, the Mavs had the 22nd overall pick before trading down with Oklahoma City to No. 24 and taking center Byron Mullens from Ohio State.

"We tried to trade up to get Rubio," Cuban said. "But we weren't close. We would have loved to draft him."

The 6-foot-4, 180-pound Rubio is averaging just 5.9 points, 4.3 assists and 23 minutes in 38 games for the DKV Joventut team in Europe this season. The Wolves are hoping to buy out his remaining contract for $1 million this summer.

"The thing about Europe," Cuban said, "is it doesn't necessarily translate in terms of points and assists. You've got to look at talent, you've got to look at game IQ and you've got to look at age."

"I don't think if he came in now he would dominate the league or anything like that. But I think he would have a big impact here."

I always knew Cuban was a smart man :D

Silent
03-09-2011, 05:53 AM
Rubio is just like rondo with out a shot all the kid can do is pass atleast rondo can get u some buckets

gbrl
03-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Rubio is just like rondo with out a shot all the kid can do is pass atleast rondo can get u some buckets

rondo also happens to be one of the best defensive pgs

Crackadalic
03-09-2011, 06:00 AM
He can learn a thing or two from J-Kidd

Bulls_fan90
03-09-2011, 06:05 AM
**** that ***** Rubio. Hate the ****.

Minimal
03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
**** that ***** Rubio. Hate the ****.
LMAO at your sig.

Rubio is a poor mans Rondo.

jiggin
03-09-2011, 08:32 AM

Exactly what I want my point guard doing...almost 99% of the time.

jiggin
03-09-2011, 08:34 AM
I will take a player who is like a 2 time all-star and all defensive player everytime...even if its the "poor mans" version of him...which is a comment based on not knowing much about ricky rubio.

jiggin
03-09-2011, 08:35 AM
doesn't score?

During the tournament Rubio achieved two triple-doubles and a quadruple-double. In the 110–106 double overtime finale victory over Russia, Rubio scored 51 points, the first player to do so in FIBA tournaments since Luol Deng (in 2001), grabbed 24 rebounds, made 12 assists, and stole the ball eleven times—a performance unprecedented in the tournament's history. He also forced the first overtime with a three-point, buzzer-beating shot from mid-court. Rubio was subsequently named the Most Valuable Player of the tournament after leading it in points, rebounds, assists and steals.

blacknell
03-09-2011, 08:53 AM
wow 6 points and 4 assits and people want him? i watched him nplay in the olympics and i wasn't impressed

Gram
03-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Never liked him. lol. Never.

magichatnumber9
03-09-2011, 09:08 AM
I heard that Cuban recently called Ricky Rubio a super duper Rockstar man. and then uttered the word "WINNING" before climbing on his brand new stair stepper.

Crackadalic
03-09-2011, 09:25 AM
wow 6 points and 4 assits and people want him? i watched him nplay in the olympics and i wasn't impressed

Brandon Jennings stats overseas:5.5 points, 1.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists, and 1.5 steals in 17.0 minutes per game. He shot 35.1 percent from the field and 20.7 percent from 3 point range

I guess he's garbage too:rolleyes:

jiggin
03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Brandon Jennings stats overseas:5.5 points, 1.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists, and 1.5 steals in 17.0 minutes per game. He shot 35.1 percent from the field and 20.7 percent from 3 point range

I guess he's garbage too:rolleyes:

overseas and under appreciated. Those foreigners don't know the game of Basketball...its an AMERICAN game!

LOL

lakers4sho
03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Rubio get your *** here already.

I'm a fan, but I want to see him play with the big boys already.

king4day
03-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Not sure this means he's showing serious interest. I'm sure if you asked all the teams in the league, you'd have probably more than half that would say the same thing.

TheDiggler
03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Ah. No. I don't want him. He should prove himself with Wolves first. Until he hasn't shown a single season in the NBA, I think he's overhyped.

Would love to see CP3 with Dallas. Or Deron ... Cuban has the balls and the money to make it work. Just do it ! (god, that was ugly).

Hellcrooner
03-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Ah. No. I don't want him. He should prove himself with Wolves first. Until he hasn't shown a single season in the NBA, I think he's overhyped.

Would love to see CP3 with Dallas. Or Deron ... Cuban has the balls and the money to make it work. Just do it ! (god, that was ugly).

YOu know that european dude in your sign.

He was completley umproven when he joined the Mavs

as in umproven nba wise, unproven european wise and unproven internatinally.

RUbio is proven in europe and international game.

It woudl be a GIFT if he could join a team with KIDD because thats the player he can become and what better to learn how to be it than learn from teh Man itself

Hellcrooner
03-09-2011, 11:26 AM

11 ppg and 5 rebounds per game.

Starry uh?

You know who that was?

PAU GASOL.

4 ppg and 2 asists on abismal shooting?

You knwo who that was?

BRANDON JENNINGS

You cant by no means translate european stats to Nba stats.

lvlheaded
03-09-2011, 11:34 AM
I am not a fan of Rubio but for some reason Donnie Walsh is enamored with him. Id rather see him go to Dallas, or maybe play for the team that drafted him

sep11ie
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Tampering?

Hellcrooner
03-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I am not a fan of Rubio but for some reason Donnie Walsh is enamored with him. Id rather see him go to Dallas, or maybe play for the team that drafted him

Unless you fire dantoni rubio wouldnt be a good fit in Ny but anyway knicks have no longer anything they could trade for him.

jiggin
03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Blazers should jump on a trade for him so he can work with Andre and take over in a year or two...

:)

Rubio - Roy - Wallace - LA - Camby

Nice

blacknell
03-09-2011, 12:02 PM
11 ppg and 5 rebounds per game.

Starry uh?

You know who that was?

PAU GASOL.

4 ppg and 2 asists on abismal shooting?

You knwo who that was?

BRANDON JENNINGS

You cant by no means translate european stats to Nba stats.

Rubio can't play on the same court as: D Will, Rondo, Paul, Nash, Rose, Billups and the list goes on they will eat his lunch

PurpleJesus
03-09-2011, 12:04 PM
This Rubio "news" is getting old...all this hype is even brought on by himself, its brought on by the media...I have heard that a reporter had heard from an unknown source in rubio's camp, who had heard from rubio that he does not want to play for Minnesota....I have heard that Ricky himself has said he is excited to play in Minnesota...I have heard that despite entering a draft where he would go top 5, that he would only play for a winner....I have heard way too many conflicting reports on this kid, now I'm hearing that Mark Cuban is showing serious interest in him, just because he likes him...I'm sure Cuban would trade for Lebron in a heart beat as well...

PurpleJesus
03-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Rubio can't play on the same court as: D Will, Rondo, Paul, Nash, Rose, Billups and the list goes on they will eat his lunch

cause you've seen enough of him as a 21 year old playing overseas? Reality is you have probably only seen him play in the Olympics once or twice...I'm sure you will claim you watch him at least twice a week though.

Hellcrooner
03-09-2011, 12:06 PM

he HAS already played in the same court, and done more than well vs them.

Rose is still wondering where his wallet is.

bovice163
03-09-2011, 12:19 PM
You guys saying Rubio sucks really have little knowledge on the topic. The kid is what, 19/20 years old? His stats overseas aren't impressive, but I bet you any coach or scout could easily tell you that he has all the tools to be an incredible pure point guard in the league. He is very similar to Rondo, no J, but has superior court-vision and passing skills, and he is a pretty damn good defender. He may have not been impressive in the Olympics, but the fact of the matter is that Rubio is still a project. He will never put a lot of points on the board, but he has the tools to be a Rondo type point guard.

TheDiggler
03-09-2011, 12:58 PM
YOu know that european dude in your sign.

He was completley umproven when he joined the Mavs

as in umproven nba wise, unproven european wise and unproven internatinally.

RUbio is proven in europe and international game.

It woudl be a GIFT if he could join a team with KIDD because thats the player he can become and what better to learn how to be it than learn from teh Man itself

Agree. But Rubio is overhyped now. If he steps on court, everbody expects big things from him. Too much pressure. While Dirk was flying under the radar.

Rubio can be big. And he can turn out as bust. Come '12 you have FA year that can give you an already all-star in D-Will or CP3. Instead of unsure prospect in Rubio. Good post from you though Hell.

AI4MVP
03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
lol its hilarious how oblivious some of you are

Lakerhead4ever
03-09-2011, 01:59 PM
the mavs literally tries to get everybody! lol enough is enough sheeeeesh

YOU ARE A GOOD TEAM. RELAX

Ebbs
03-09-2011, 02:10 PM
I dislike him immensely but I would like to see him in a Mavs jersey because he could be good.

Twinsfan24
03-09-2011, 02:15 PM
David Kahn has basically said Rubio will come play for Minnesota or sit and Europe until he wants to play for Minnesota. There is no way he will trade him at this point in time... The only scenario I see him being traded is if he is blown away by an offer and that clearly hasnt happened or he would have already traded him.

Furymaker
03-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Rubio is the most overrated basketball player in the world .
First of all he CANT shoot , Rondo seems like Ray Allen compared to Rubio .
He has some sick assists and bad *** defense , but man , he can't make a shoot for his life , he is not athletic enough for NBA , and he is weak .

I know this because i watch almost every Barca Regal game ...

jiggin
03-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I dislike him immensely but I would like to see him in a Mavs jersey because he could be good.

why? what don't you like?

I don't understand why people wouldn't like a player that is very much like Nash/Kidd/Rando with a pass first brain and an extremely high basketball IQ.

Please, give me the reasons...

jiggin
03-09-2011, 03:11 PM
David Kahn has basically said Rubio will come play for Minnesota or sit and Europe until he wants to play for Minnesota. There is no way he will trade him at this point in time... The only scenario I see him being traded is if he is blown away by an offer and that clearly hasnt happened or he would have already traded him.

that's sad. A first rounder wasted on the organization allowing the player to dictate the situation rather than the club.

Seems at some point you cut your losses and try and get something to replace the wasted first round pick you used on him, especially if his hesitation isn't based on leaving Europe but more because he doesn't want to play for the wolves.

THE Vernon
03-09-2011, 03:29 PM
I hope Rubio does well when he comes over here. I think it would be great for the sport; with that said I hate the guy lol. I read articles that show he's a stuck up brat who doesn't even cut his own steak. When Brandon Jennings was playing in Europe he said Rubio wasn't a nice guy

Ebbs
03-09-2011, 03:32 PM
why? what don't you like?

I don't understand why people wouldn't like a player that is very much like Nash/Kidd/Rando with a pass first brain and an extremely high basketball IQ.

Please, give me the reasons...

Because he has an attitude, ego issue in my mind. And I hate that he is being a pain and not playing for the team that drafted him.

Ray_R
03-09-2011, 04:51 PM
that's sad. A first rounder wasted on the organization allowing the player to dictate the situation rather than the club.

Seems at some point you cut your losses and try and get something to replace the wasted first round pick you used on him, especially if his hesitation isn't based on leaving Europe but more because he doesn't want to play for the wolves.

Na,I think its fair. If I was the GM ill let him stay over there rather than trading him or trade him to the Cavs. He should have never entered the draft if he had no intention of playing for the team that picked him.

PurpleJesus
03-09-2011, 04:59 PM

his buyout dictated the situation

PurpleJesus
03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Because he has an attitude, ego issue in my mind. And I hate that he is being a pain and not playing for the team that drafted him.

his buyout is/was the issue, not him. There really isnt anything to lead people to believe that he has an ego problem.

AI4MVP
03-09-2011, 06:50 PM
i guys know nothing about the situation. hes said many times he likes what minnesota is doing and that when he comes, it will be in minnesota. he has no ego issue watsoever. it was a buyout issue. many many euro players before him have gone through it, but it went unnoticed becuz they didnt have the hype rubio has.

if u guy hate him now, just wait til he comes to the nba and bends all ur teams over

Mplsman
03-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Kevin Love, Micheal Beasley, Anthony Randolph, Wes Johnson.....Ricky Rubio. He is going to have a lot better weapons than he has ever had in his life when he comes here. I think there is obviously a reason why Kobe and a ton of teams think so highly of Rubio. He has something special already at his young age. Just wait until this team grows older together, we have some scary potential for the future.

AddiX
03-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Rubio is going to slaughtered by NBA guards on a nightly basis on both sides of the court.

I can't for the life of me understand how anyone expects him to be good. There is nothing about his game that opposing players need to respect about him. I don't even think he will last in the NBA.

tp13baby
03-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Best point guard Minnesota drafted that year is Ty Lawson :)

magic0320
03-09-2011, 09:16 PM
haha i can't believe people are saying that he did well against us when they only palyed against each other less than 4 games (I don't know how many games he palyed against usa)

if he comes here for 82 game seasons and people figure him out he will be average players at the best

COOLbeans
03-09-2011, 09:45 PM
He can learn a thing or two from J-Kidd

Rondo could learn a thing or two from Jason Kidd. what's your point?

stating the obvious much?

AI
03-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Rubio is a beast

John Walls Era
03-09-2011, 10:15 PM
A lot of teams are interested in him too... I still think his jumper is suspect and he scores too little (I realize the team he plays for, his job is to distribute. In Europe its a team game). I actually like Milos Teodosic more than him.

blacknell
03-10-2011, 11:26 AM
cause you've seen enough of him as a 21 year old playing overseas? Reality is you have probably only seen him play in the Olympics once or twice...I'm sure you will claim you watch him at least twice a week though.

so let me guess you seen him play? No you seen him just as much as me and are going on the hype form people here.. And don't try to say you lived in spain for 10 years and been watching him since he was 11 either and I know you don't have a Rubio channel in your direct tv package that shows all of his games.

blacknell
03-10-2011, 11:32 AM
i guys know nothing about the situation. hes said many times he likes what minnesota is doing and that when he comes, it will be in minnesota. he has no ego issue watsoever. it was a buyout issue. many many euro players before him have gone through it, but it went unnoticed becuz they didnt have the hype rubio has.

if u guy hate him now, just wait til he comes to the nba and bends all ur teams over

HAHA i would love to see him try to guard Rose.. I highly doubt Rubio has this American speed and power and forgot to mention rubio is not the most athletic 180 pounder around

Crackadalic
03-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Rondo could learn a thing or two from Jason Kidd. what's your point?

stating the obvious much?

What does Rondo have to do with this? Is he a mav? This whole thread is about cuban wanting rubio. If he's on the mavs he can learn a thing or two from j-kidd.

Try reading and understanding next time before trying to come at someone with that weak post

Hunter48MVP
03-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Dallas has nothing to offer to Minny to get Rubio

Hellcrooner
03-10-2011, 02:14 PM
so let me guess you seen him play? No you seen him just as much as me and are going on the hype form people here.. And don't try to say you lived in spain for 10 years and been watching him since he was 11 either and I know you don't have a Rubio channel in your direct tv package that shows all of his games.

Well.

i LIVE in spain.

Since im SPANISH

and ive been watching him since he was 14.

Speed to catch rose? not only that speed to steal teh ball from him twice in 3 minutes.

The only doubts that arise bout Rubio and the NBA are his OFFENSIVE skills, if he can develop them or not.

On defense, Passing and creation he is Nba Material RIGHT NOW at age 20.

PurpleJesus
03-10-2011, 04:29 PM

nope, ive barely seen him play at all, but I'm not the one making unfounded claims about him with no evidence...so, your post about me not seeing him play is pretty much useless.