PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson takes shot at Heat

Bruno
03-09-2011, 01:13 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6195016

By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com
Archive
ATLANTA -- Los Angeles Lakers head coach Phil Jackson tried to bite his tongue.

When first asked about the Miami Heat's recent struggles, including the revelation by head coach Erik Spoelstra that players were crying in the locker room following their loss to the Chicago Bulls on Sunday, Jackson didn't have much to say.

"It's just drama," Jackson said after the Lakers' shootaround Tuesday morning in Atlanta. Jackson then referred reporters' Miami-related questions to assistant coach Frank Hamblen, because Hamblen was responsible for scouting the Heat for Thursday's game, while Jackson wanted to focus on the Hawks game at hand.

"This is the NBA: No Boys Allowed. Big boys don't cry. But, if you're going to do it, do it in the toilet where no one can see."

The Heat were brought up again during Jackson's pregame media session Tuesday night, however, and this time the Hall of Fame coach couldn't help himself from tweaking the talented bunch from South Beach.

"This is the NBA: No Boys Allowed," Jackson said. "Big boys don't cry. But, if you're going to do it, do it in the toilet where no one can see."

This came seconds after Jackson tried to deflect the reporter's question by saying, "People cry in locker rooms, yes, [but] I don't want to talk about Miami's situation."

Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was more diplomatic when asked for his opinion of the Heat while appearing on the "Max and Marcellus" show on 710 ESPN in Los Angeles on Monday.

"They have their own issues over there. Every team has issues. At this point of the season, if you don't have issues you're not a team," Bryant said. "Everybody responds to adversity differently. Doesn't make it right, doesn't make it wrong. It's how you come out of it. That's the true mark of a team."

During the Lakers pregame, Los Angeles coach Phil Jackson says "boys don't cry," referring to the Heat.

Bryant said he wasn't trying to avoid providing the Heat with bulletin board material in advance of the Lakers' game against the Heat on Thursday.

"I really don't care too much about bulletin board stuff. That means nothing to me," Bryant said.

"I gave you an honest answer. Everybody responds differently. If guys are crying in the locker room, guys are crying in the locker room. That doesn't mean they're chumps. That doesn't mean they're soft. It doesn't mean anything."

This isn't the first time this season Jackson has made critical comments about the Heat to the press.

In late November, after Miami had stumbled out the gates to an 8-6 start, Jackson publicly questioned whether Spoelstra's job was safe.

"The scenario that sits kind of behind the scene, is that eventually these guys that were recruited -- [Chris] Bosh and [LeBron] James -- by Pat Riley and Micky Arison, the owner, are going to come in and say, 'We feel you [Riley] can do a better job coaching the team. We came here on the hopes that this would work,' and whatever, I don't know," Jackson said at the time. "That's kind of my take on it, is that eventually if things don't straighten out here soon, it could be the [Stan] Van Gundy thing all over again."

Jackson later backed off his comment, calling it an "offhand remark" and apologized.

"I'm not throwing any aspersions on Spoelstra," Jackson said. "He's a very fine young coach."

The Lakers play the Heat on Thursday in Miami. The last time the two teams met, Miami won 96-80 on Christmas Day.

Bruno
03-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Keep this clean!

kblo247
03-09-2011, 01:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5kyL7BYx3M&feature=player_embedded

marlinsfan24
03-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Any thing in particular you do to beat the Heat?
You stay cool!

Gotta love Phil. LOL.

Lakerhead4ever
03-09-2011, 01:42 AM
phil like to get in the minds of his opponents, this is an example on his tactic.

and talking to kobe is like talking to a brick wall. lol

gotta love them tho!

Bruno
03-09-2011, 01:51 AM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Storch
03-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Stay cool Phil, stay cool!

marlinsfan24
03-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Stay cool Phil, stay cool!

Does this mean I can make a "Phil Jackson is feeling the Heat" comment if he gets a technical on Thursday?

J4KOP99
03-09-2011, 02:11 AM
What can you say, the man speaks his mind. He doesn't sugar-coat ****, he says what he feels.

-On the topic of the Heat crying, I do think the media over-analyzed the hell out of it but in all honesty... if you have guys crying, after a regular season loss (when your team is one of the top 5 teams in the league, record wise) then you have some serious issues.

LakerPride
03-09-2011, 02:25 AM

thats hilarious!!!!

the heat are the exact nemesis of the Lakers. Lakers always has problems with teams that have very athletic players. But the Lakers are playing with great defense lately. So it would be very interesting to watch this game.

Law25
03-09-2011, 04:09 AM
Phil Jackson is awesome. What better way to see where your team is at then to piss off that three headed monter down in Miami. I mean think about it, it works perfect for him. If the Lakers lose then they will drive harder for perfection and become even better for it. If the Lakers win in Miami with that crowd being louder than its been all season, and an highly motivated Heat team lookin to make him eat his words it gives the Lakers an extra boost of confidance while putting the Heat in more turmoil and sets them back in an important part of the season makin it difficult to come together before the post season and almost gauranteing an early exit for them. Brilliant.

Mcdoh
03-09-2011, 04:13 AM
chill.. heat is our next opponent..

KillaInstinct24
03-09-2011, 05:03 AM
big boys dont cry. he's right. theres a time and a moment when a man is allowed to shed tears. losing a ball game isnt one of them, unless its your last of your career like sheed, but even he probably didnt cry last june. lebron and the gang need to man up. u never heard about kobe crying after a game. he just moves on to the next game. if he gets eliminated from the playoffs he starts working on next season. the only time he "cried" was the trade-me fiasco, but that doesn't count as a sobbing session.

lakers4sho
03-09-2011, 09:58 AM
What can you say, the man speaks his mind. He doesn't sugar-coat ****, he says what he feels.

-On the topic of the Heat crying, I do think the media over-analyzed the hell out of it but in all honesty... if you have guys crying, after a regular season loss (when your team is one of the top 5 teams in the league, record wise) then you have some serious issues.

To be honest, I don't think they were crying specifically over a regular season loss. Every team loses in the regular season.

I think what's bugging them [ the superfriends ] the most is the fact that they have realized that the championship is not going to be handed to them in a silver platter.

When those 3 decided to sign with Miami, I'm sure they thought that they can just cruise through the league. I mean, they've got 2 of the best players in the league, they've got an all star in Bosh. Who could blame them?

SteBO
03-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Gotta love Phil. :laugh2: It's alright though. I'm sure he's just trying to bring out some fire out of the Heat. Should be a helluva game thursday night.

The-Human-Cigar
03-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Any thing in particular you do to beat the Heat?
You stay cool!

Gotta love Phil. LOL.

The zen master using mind over basketball once again... :D

Avenged
03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Spo really messed that team up by saying those crying comments.. I thought whatever happened in the locker room, stays in the locker room.

numba1CHANGsta
03-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Well Kobe and Fish cried when they lost to the Spurs in the 2003 Semi-finals. I guess thats an exception since they did win three straight championships the previous years. But man, I dont get why they are crying during the regular season, im guessing its because of all the pressure they have on them. The Heat are so over hyped, they need to get that Heat Index off of ESPN and treat this team equally as everyone else so there wouldnt be so much pressure on Miami.

SteBO
03-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Well Kobe and Fish cried when they lost to the Spurs in the 2003 Semi-finals. I guess thats an exception since they did win three straight championships the previous years. But man, I dont get why they are crying during the regular season, im guessing its because of all the pressure they have on them. The Heat are so over hyped, they need to get that Heat Index off of ESPN and treat this team equally as everyone else so there wouldnt be so much pressure on Miami.

I agree 100%.

Toadman
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM

No one on the LAKERS ratted them out. They were on the bench as they got
eliminated & the cameras caught them in the moment.

marlinsfan24
03-10-2011, 01:44 AM

:clap:

J4KOP99
03-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Why should ESPN stop focusing in on them? The Heat ASKED for all of this. They had a ****ing championship celebration before they even played a game. Classic example of over-confidence and arrogance...

marlinsfan24
03-10-2011, 01:53 AM
Why should ESPN stop focusing in on them? The Heat ASKED for all of this. They had a ****ing championship celebration before they even played a game. Classic example of over-confidence and arrogance...

The Heat did ask for this. But as for the "championship celebration" was it the wrong thing to do? Yes.

Was it actually a championship celebration? IMO, no. I think it was just to hype the fans.

Lebron was way offline when he made his his statement though. Although the Bulls owner just said they'd win multiple championships.

Slug3
03-11-2011, 11:03 PM
The Heat did ask for this. But as for the "championship celebration" was it the wrong thing to do? Yes.

Was it actually a championship celebration? IMO, no. I think it was just to hype the fans.

Lebron was way offline when he made his his statement though. Although the Bulls owner just said they'd win multiple championships.

I dont think having that celebration was bad. they perhaps got 2 of the basketball top free agents to step foot on the market in a long time. and also Bosh, but I do think Lebron stating something like 5, 6, 7, 8 championships was a little too much.... but I can see he wanted to get Miami fans going. But no matter should not have been said.