PDA

View Full Version : SVG: David Stern Oppresses Freedom of Speech

D Roses Bulls
03-08-2011, 07:34 PM
In his never-ending quest to defend Dwight Howard from the injustices of NBA refs (and the world in general), head coach Stan Van Gundy can be quite emotional. He talks a lot, and inevitably, really strange and funny comments emerge.

With Howard forced to sit out last night due to an automatic suspension from his 16 technical fouls, SVG was not a happy man, and the Orlando Magic‘s ensuing home loss to the Blazers did not help matters.

Prior to the game, Van Gundy complained that he couldn’t truly express his opinion because of David Stern … but then he went right ahead and expressed his opinion. He’s the best.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

A reporter later asked whether the technical-foul system is fair, but Van Gundy expressed concern that any statement of opinion could net him a fine from league officials. “I can’t answer that,” Van Gundy responded. “And I certainly can’t have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot of leaders we’ve seen in this world lately, don’t really tolerate other people’s opinions or free speech or anything. So I’m not really allowed to have an opinion, so it’s up to him. He decides. And he likes the system that he has.”

Later, a reporter asked Van Gundy if he was comparing Stern to Middle East tyrants such as former Egypt leader Hosni Mubarak or Libya leader Moammar Gadhafi. “I did not say that at all,” Van Gundy said. “I don’t even remember even mentioning their names. No, I do not. I just said David Stern does not want other people’s opinions and he does not tolerate freedom of speech when it comes to NBA issues. He’s the only opinion.”

This adds fuel to my belief that people like Stan Van Gundy, Gregg Popovich and Rasheed Wallace should be mic’d up at all times. Their entertainment value is off the charts, and needs to be exploited to a greater degree.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/03/svg-david-stern-oppresses-freedom-of-speech/

whitemamba33
03-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Stern is the boss. For the most part, you can't go into work and tell your boss to go to hell and chalk it up to free speech.

jiggin
03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Well this ought to be fun to watch unfold. Will we hear/see a response from stern? Doubt it...but those gears are always movin' in that commish office.

Big biz. No one ever associated it with a democracy.

tredigs
03-08-2011, 09:09 PM
I've always heard Stern is very cool about dealing with issues if you simply bring it up to him personally, and not to the media. That's why they are fined. Publicly bashing fellow employees simply isn't tolerated by the NBA - and it's a very fair business stance to have. SVG is entertaining, and I very much see his point, but he's not in the right here.

JustinLafferty
03-08-2011, 09:10 PM
SVG made valid points about getting fined over every minor criticism of an official...and the technicals this year are outrageous.... and the way they choose to ref the games are very sketchy....... Dwight has been fouled 593 times this year and not one has been called a Flagrant Foul.....he gets fouled after the whistle....and he gets fouled pretty hard.... This doesn't happen to anyone else in the league. Shaq in his prime was fouled the same way. While perimeter players get breathed on by someone who had onions and its a Flagrant Foul....

wa77ss
03-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Eh one time Dwight is gonna get hit in the face a little to hard and he is just gonna go berserk for real. I've never even seen him push someone yet.

whitemamba33
03-08-2011, 09:33 PM
I grew up watching Shaq dominate when the league was much more physical and there were MUCH better centers to contend with. I don't really have much sympathy for Dwight to be honest.

And SVG is losing credibility as well. He complains before the games, during the games, after the games.....I couldn't care less about a thing he says at this point, and I get the feeling that his players feel the same way sometimes.

D-Leethal
03-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Similar to the BYU scenario, you sign a contract, you know the deal, they pay you millions, you follow the rules, simple......

JasonJohnHorn
03-08-2011, 10:47 PM
SVG is right, Stern evades transparency and discourages people from talking about issues that impact the game by handing out fines and threatening players with suspencions.

I look at it this way. If I get paid millions of dollars to do my job, and I cant get my job done because somebody on a lower paid grade (the officials) isnt doing their job properly, I'm going to have something to say about it. I dont expect the officials to be perfect, but lets face, there have been some MAJOR issues with the officials in the past. Every fan can name a dozen IMPORTANT games the officials blundered. Stern doesnt want anybody talking about it.