PDA

View Full Version : How do we define a player as a "Superstar"?

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Someone bought this up in another thread. Had me thinking what makes a player a bonified superstar? Like when do we know that that guy is a "superstar" player in the league? For instance, is Kevin Love a superstar? I dont think so, but his numbers suggest he is. I say no because i define a superstar as someone who puts those numbers up consistently over a few seasons. But i know some other people thinks its someone who puts the numbers up on winning teams. What do you guys think?

Raph12
03-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Top 5 players...

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 04:57 PM
So if your not a top 5 player your not a superstar? Ok so in no order:

Lebron
Wade
Howard
Bryant
paul

So,
Willams
durant
melo
stat
dirk
gasol
manu

aren't?

redsox0717
03-08-2011, 04:58 PM
It's just an arbitrary term much like the word "elite" that just fosters asinine arguments on forums like PSD.

Slimsim
03-08-2011, 05:01 PM

Lebron
Wade
Howard
Bryant
paul

So,
Willams
durant
melo
stat
dirk
gasol
manu

aren't?

All stars

pentel1980
03-08-2011, 05:03 PM
My definition co-exists w/Webster's definition: a sports 'star' that I would pay money to see play.

As defined by Webster:

1. a star (as in sports or the movies) who is considered extremely talented, has great public appeal, and can usually command a high salary
2: one that is very prominent or is a prime attraction

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Dirks not a superstar?

tredigs
03-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Top 5 players...

"Why 5, though?" - "and what if 3-7 are all interchangeable in value?"

This thread could go on for days, but the bottom line is that there is no true concrete definition of superstar.

My personal take is that it's any player who dominates his opponent night in/night out; essentially the best player from each position, and the other 2-3 next best overall players in the league. A players marketability factor can make him a "superstar" faster than others, also. At least as the league and its fans preceive it.

I'm not picky about it though. If a Chicago fan wants to include D. Rose with the superstars, Oklahoma thinks the same for Westbrook, and Portlanders the same for Aldridge (or Roy?), fine with me.

My personal list would be a mix of talent and marketability. I don't consider Melo a top 2 small forward, but I actually do consider him a superstar. So there ya have it.

I would say Lebron, Durant, Kobe, D. Howard, Dirk and Cp3 are the true inarguable superstars, with Amare/Rose/Nash/Melo/Westbrook/Duncan/Williams and probably 5 others I'm not thinking about right there as well.

abe_froman
03-08-2011, 05:07 PM
if they're name is known to casual fans or those that dont really follow the nba.if i say kevin love to friend,family,ect they'll have no idea who the hell i'm talking about,if i say kobe they do

its a term defining how famous someone is,so follow that.

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 05:12 PM

This thread could go on for days, but the bottom line is that there is no true concrete definition of superstar.

My personal take is that it's any player who dominates his opponent night in/night out; essentially the best player from each position, and the other 2-3 next best overall players in the league. A players marketability factor can make him a "superstar" faster than others, also. At least as the league and its fans preceive it.

I'm not picky about it though. If a Chicago fan wants to include D. Rose with the superstars, Oklahoma thinks the same for Westbrook, and Portlanders the same for Aldridge (or Roy?), fine with me.

My personal list would be a mix of talent and marketability. I don't consider Melo a top 2 small forward, but I actually do consider him a superstar. So there ya have it.

I would say Lebron, Durant, Kobe, D. Howard, Dirk and Cp3 are the true inarguable superstars, with Amare/Rose/Nash/Melo/Westbrook/Duncan/Williams and probably 5 others I'm not thinking about right there as well.

Off topic, but i dont understand the lack of love for melo. I mean, he's an average defender but probably top 3 offensive player in the game. People put him outside the top ten in the league (all positions).

THE_G.O.A.T.
03-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Derrick Rose

SteveNash
03-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Worldwide icon.

JordansBulls
03-08-2011, 05:33 PM
To me it has to be guys who have won league mvp or who are readily in the MVP debate yearly top 3-5.

Flash3
03-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Lebron
Wade
Howard
Bryant
paul

So,
Willams
durant
melo
stat
dirk
gasol
manu

aren't?

i'd put put durant over paul atm because paul is still feeling the effects of the knee surgery he had.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 06:11 PM

exactly right. Although for basketball purists (ie, those who don't give a **** about marketability), I think the term "superstar" is the elite of the elite players. That can be anywhere from 3-7 players in a given season I guess.

LeBron
Wade
Dwight
Kobe
Dirk

these are the only guys I would personally call Superstars right now. But that is me. The you have stars, and then all stars for me.

Furymaker
03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
It has to be great player , one of the MVP candidates , and it must have great publicity , like all stars votes
Kobe
Dwight
Wade
Lebron
Dirk
CP3
Rose
Melo

And Durant have some chance , but he's not as popular as other guys up there , and there are all stars like Stoudemire , D-Will , Pierce , ...

WeBallin
03-08-2011, 06:26 PM
if they're name is known to casual fans or those that dont really follow the nba.if i say kevin love to friend,family,ect they'll have no idea who the hell i'm talking about,if i say kobe they do

its a term defining how famous someone is,so follow that.

lol by far the best example.....lol

Duddy
03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I'ma give you 2 definitions that aren't really realated but can b used to define superstar:

1) A player who can carry his team to a really good regular season record and then through the playoffs, while having a good average in points, rebs, assists, etc. He also has to b clutch (pls don't say lebron isn't) and have a very good consistency.

2) A player known worldwide, for instance, I live in Brazil and most people here only know who players such as Kobe, Lebron, Iverson, Shaq, Jordan, etc are. Yao Ming is also a superstar considering that he's usualy one of the top voted all-star game starters, because China has about 1.4 billion people and most of its population knows who Yao is

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I'ma give you 2 definitions that aren't really realated but can b used to define superstar:

1) A player who can carry his team to a really good regular season record and then through the playoffs, while having a good average in points, rebs, assists, etc. He also has to b clutch (pls don't say lebron isn't) and have a very good consistency.

2) A player known worldwide, for instance, I live in Brazil and most people here only know who players such as Kobe, Lebron, Iverson, Shaq, Jordan, etc are. Yao Ming is also a superstar considering that he's usualy one of the top voted all-star game starters, because China has about 1.4 billion people and most of its population knows who Yao is

pretty good answer.