PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see another team like the 03-04 Pistons?

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Im talking a team with no real "superstar" that are completely committed to defense. I think that team was one of the best championship teams ever. Nowadays it seems that franchises are clamoring to form "super teams". And all of these teams are looking at players that are more offensive minded than defense. But i would love for the NBA to get back to this formula of fundamental players and defense.

Hellcrooner
03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
i hope so.

Its good for the game to show you dont need a glory ballhog running the team to win.

Duddy
03-08-2011, 03:10 PM
One of the best championship teams ever? :speechless: Far from that

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Really? Name another team that had the defensive efficiency as them

210Don
03-08-2011, 03:14 PM
they where incredible defense was top notch.

SeoulBeatz
03-08-2011, 03:14 PM
I'd say my Sixers play like a poor man's version of that Piston's team. Kind of by default though.

We don't have anybody scoring over 15 ppg, everybody shares the rock, and we play lock down defense while committing the fewest t.o's per game in the NBA.

some similarities there. But obviously detroit was in another realm!, I miss that team.

abe_froman
03-08-2011, 03:15 PM
what about boston or chicaqo.with the exception of "stars" they fit your billing to a t,being tough defense first,soundly built/playing team

The-Human-Cigar
03-08-2011, 03:17 PM

Yeah, they weren't the best ever. You could easily argue the World Champion Pistons of Laimbeer, Thomas & Rodman with coach by Chuck Daly were a far deadlier team for defense and all around play.

Will we see another 03-04 Pistons team down the road? Sure we will. I hope it's a small market team that comes out and beats the crap out of everyone without a true superstar and shake the NBA the hell up.

gsgs49
03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
This year celtics and even 08 celtics are pretty similiar to the 04 pistons:more than one star,great defense and team work and great coach
Also this year spurs.

Mile High Champ
03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
I hope so,though that Pistons team was very boring to watch so that is a drawback.

I love teams that preach defense and hard work so it would obviously be great to have a team like this once again in the NBA. We need more players and teams that put defense first to educate some of these young stars what it takes to win and that there are more important things than dunk contests and flashy plays in basketball.

colinskik
03-08-2011, 03:22 PM
what about boston or chicaqo.with the exception of "stars" they fit your billing to a t,being tough defense first,soundly built/playing team
This. They play similarly to that Pistons team.

And to say that team had no stars is false. All of those guys in their own right, with the exception of Prince, were stars in the NBA. I don't get why everyone always says they had no stars.

enserio
03-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Yeah, they weren't the best ever. You could easily argue the World Champion Pistons of Laimbeer, Thomas & Rodman with coach by Chuck Daly were a far deadlier team for defense and all around play.

Will we see another 03-04 Pistons team down the road? Sure we will. I hope it's a small market team that comes out and beats the crap out of everyone without a true superstar and shake the NBA the hell up.

This.

Of course, the argument could be made that there was one "superstar" on that team in Isaiah Thomas - but, that's debatable.

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 03:25 PM
This. They play similarly to that Pistons team.

And to say that team had no stars is false. All of those guys in their own right, with the exception of Prince, were stars in the NBA. I don't get why everyone always says they had no stars.

I said Superstars.. They had none of them..

Duddy
03-08-2011, 03:34 PM
This.

Of course, the argument could be made that there was one "superstar" on that team in Isaiah Thomas - but, that's debatable.

Debatable? A guy named of of the 50 greatest players in NBA history is debatable of being a "superstar"? Joe Dumars... he was debatable, but not Thomas

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 03:44 PM
This.

Its debatable if Isiah thomas was a superstar??? :speechless:

Lions #81
03-08-2011, 03:47 PM
NBA can only hope there could be one. There were NO superstars. They pounded the lakers in 5.
I think the year the Cavs went to the Finals was probably the closest other than Spurs and Celtics.
Looking back at that roster. It just shows how good LeBron really was and how good they were defensively.
I know LeBrons a superstar but if they won the title that year I'd put them close

colinskik
03-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I said Superstars.. They had none of them..
That then leads to the discussion of what is a superstar. Wasn't Rasheed a superstar in Portland? Weren't Rip, Chauncey and Wallace fringe superstars? I don't know...

Point being, when you put many great players together their number will dip below "superstar" numbers. If left alone on different teams, all of those guys might have had to take over, thus raising their numbers and perhaps entering them into superstar status.

JordansBulls
03-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Im talking a team with no real "superstar" that are completely committed to defense. I think that team was one of the best championship teams ever. Nowadays it seems that franchises are clamoring to form "super teams". And all of these teams are looking at players that are more offensive minded than defense. But i would love for the NBA to get back to this formula of fundamental players and defense.

1979 Sonics didn't really have a superstar either.

THE GIPPER
03-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Im hoping the nuggets become a team like the pistons of 03-04

Gators123
03-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Not sure. They were a great TEAM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLE5P-HHDn4

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 04:11 PM
That then leads to the discussion of what is a superstar. Wasn't Rasheed a superstar in Portland? Weren't Rip, Chauncey and Wallace fringe superstars? I don't know...

Point being, when you put many great players together their number will dip below "superstar" numbers. If left alone on different teams, all of those guys might have had to take over, thus raising their numbers and perhaps entering them into superstar status.

I dont really think any of those players were superstars at the time the team was formed. Closes thing would have been sheed i guess...

twoearl
03-08-2011, 04:12 PM
As a Pistons fans I don't think we will ever see a team like that again. That team had NO true superstar and yet found a way to win a ring. In this superstar laden NBA now, no way that happens again.

And honestly I think that whole "let's make the team like the 04 team" is what is hurting the pistons now. Joe D is trying to replicate them and failing. He must understand now a days you need Superstars to win.

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Not sure. They were a great TEAM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLE5P-HHDn4

Great clip

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 04:19 PM
As a Pistons fans I don't think we will ever see a team like that again. That team had NO true superstar and yet found a way to win a ring. In this superstar laden NBA now, no way that happens again.

And honestly I think that whole "let's make the team like the 04 team" is what is hurting the pistons now. Joe D is trying to replicate them and failing. He must understand now a days you need Superstars to win.

I dont agree with that at all.. You just need players who all want to win and a strong coach to bring them together. I always thought that Larry brown was one of the greatest coaches ever in the NBA. Pretty much that whole team had a chip on there shoulders. Once they realized that they had something special, it was all smooth sailing so to speak

Raph12
03-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Spurs are playing like that right now, each player is very important to the success of that team... Throw Boston in there as well.

twoearl
03-08-2011, 04:24 PM
I dont agree with that at all.. You just need players who all want to win and a strong coach to bring them together. I always thought that Larry brown was one of the greatest coaches ever in the NBA. Pretty much that whole team had a chip on there shoulders. Once they realized that they had something special, it was all smooth sailing so to speak

Indeed Larry Brown was the perfect Coach for a team like that. But I always look back at that Game 7 against the Spurs in the Finals when Tim Duncan went off for like 5 minutes in the 4th Quarter and put the Pistons away. That is when having that Superstar that can go into 5th gear is so important. The Spurs and Pistons were evenly matched that year except for the fact they had Tim Duncan and we didn't...

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Indeed Larry Brown was the perfect Coach for a team like that. But I always look back at that Game 7 against the Spurs in the Finals when Tim Duncan went off for like 5 minutes and put the Pistons away. That is when having that Superstar that can go into 5th gear is so important...

Agree 100%

Nighthawk
03-08-2011, 04:32 PM
i would say the grizzlies are the closest thing. unless u consider rudy a superstar. they play team ball. tenacious defense and play tough EVERY night.

all though i dont see memphis as a title contender.

hugepatsfan
03-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I think that BOS is pretty close. BOS doesn't have a top 10 player, but they have 4 guys who are definately top 10 in their position.

blastmasta26
03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Boston for sure. None of those guys are superstars, but 4 out of 5 guys made the all-star team, just like the Pistons. Their strength is defense and great team play. They are the closest to that Pistons squad IMO.

Nighthawk
03-08-2011, 04:40 PM
I think that BOS is pretty close. BOS doesn't have a top 10 player, but they have 4 guys who are definately top 10 in their position.

Shaq even past 40 is a superstar. Rondo? i wouldnt include the C's

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Boston for sure. None of those guys are superstars, but 4 out of 5 guys made the all-star team, just like the Pistons. Their strength is defense and great team play. They are the closest to that Pistons squad IMO.

Kevin Garnett was definitely a superstar when he first went to Boston

blastmasta26
03-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Kevin Garnett was definitely a superstar when he first went to Boston
I mean right now. I agree that KG was a superstar at that point.

nolin
03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I'd say my Sixers play like a poor man's version of that Piston's team. Kind of by default though.

We don't have anybody scoring over 15 ppg, everybody shares the rock, and we play lock down defense while committing the fewest t.o's per game in the NBA.

some similarities there. But obviously detroit was in another realm!, I miss that team.

ha super poor mans. lol nothing like the pistons. wallace was a force in the middle hawes is far from that.

King P
Wouldn't be surprised if an '03-'04 Pistons "TYPE" team beat one of these superteams. Much like how those Pistons beat Payton, Shaq, Kobe, Malone

HaX
The Spurs man, they are exaclty like the 04 Pistons, they have a good role player, Manu which was like Rip for us, and Parker which was Chauncey, Timmy was like Sheed.

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 04:50 PM
The Spurs man, they are exaclty like the 04 Pistons, they have a good role player, Manu which was like Rip for us, and Parker which was Chauncey, Timmy was like Sheed.

I think manu, parker, and tim are superstars more so than sheed, billups, and rip were... Manu, parker, and tim beat sheed, billups, and rip while both were in there prime

Doogolas
03-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Maybe nobody else thinks so, but Chauncey Billups is and was every bit as good as just about any superstar in the league. He is one of the most overlooked players in history, man gets no respect but he'd a beast.

StriveGreatness
03-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, they did 'kill' the Shaq and Kobe tandem...(even though, Shaq was probably going to leave anyways)

My god, I miss that team. Will we ever see another team like that? It's possible. That was a perfectly built team. Should have won multiple championships but Robert Horry had other plans..:(

levignjw
03-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Honestly with the way the NBA is shaping out nowadays I doubt it.

levignjw
03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Maybe nobody else thinks so, but Chauncey Billups is and was every bit as good as just about any superstar in the league. He is one of the most overlooked players in history, man gets no respect but he'd a beast.

Underrated for sure.

Tarheels23
03-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Correct me if Im wrong but werent Rip, Rasheed and Billups all stars in this league? The year the Pistons won it Ben Wallace won DPOY and was voted a starter in the All Star game.

They were definitely a "super team" as so many people want to call it. They went to like 7 ECF in a row. They stomped the "unbeatable" Lakers in the Finals. And people forget they took the spurs to 7 in the finals

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Correct me if Im wrong but werent Rip, Rasheed and Billups all stars in this league? The year the Pistons won it Ben Wallace won DPOY and was voted a starter in the All Star game.

They were definitely a "super team" as so many people want to call it. They went to like 7 ECF in a row. They stomped the "unbeatable" Lakers in the Finals. And people forget they took the spurs to 7 in the finals

No buddy.. They werent a "super team" until they came together...

Blazers#1Fan
03-08-2011, 05:36 PM
4 All stars and a Good defensive SF in Prince

If anything my Blazers are like them don't say Roy remember his knees now and Gwall isn't a SS

Camby-BWallace(both Defensive Centers)
LA-Sheed(both great scoring rebounding PF with some D)
Batum-Prince(both young defensive SF and can score when needed play a lot alike)
Wes-Rip(wes is younger but can be really great SOON both score and play D)
Miller-Billups(Billups can hit the 3 but miller gets to the rim draws fouls alot and both can go off for there team both great PG)

GWall&Roy(Make up where the Rest lack)

Still can't believe pistons passed on Melo similar to us passing on KD

A lot of championship teams don't need Super stars but you gotta remember having all stars is the Key I rather have 4 all stars then 2 superstars

Tell me this team isn't great Not a real team but would be championship material

M.Gasol
Aldridge
Granger(I wouldn't call him a SS)
Sjackson
Felton

Denver better do some trading everybody but Aldridge could Be had

fadedmario
03-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Really? They beat a heavily favored LA team (David and Goliath) and won by an average of more than 20 points a game in their 4 wins with only 1 loss in overtime. That team was dominant...

Hustlenomics
03-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Pierce and Rondo are superstars

Catoblepas
03-08-2011, 05:45 PM
well other than Billups the rest of that pistons team kinda fell off any type of star agruement.. hell Billups was barely talked about when he was traded to Newyork .. Those guys played hard together and trusted one another. they made one another better. Im sure that there will be another team like that oneday.. but everyone has to commit to Larry Brown Ball( play the right way). i think the shot attempts were evenly distributed on that team as well..other than ben wallace lol

Blazers#1Fan
03-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Pistons were easily a SUPERTEAM

big ben
Sheed
Prince
Rip
Billups

Could probably still be champions

Just think if NYC gets a SG like Sjax or Rip and a center like big ben there easily a championship team

Nyc get Rip or Sjax and big ben this off season

Bwallace
Amare
Melo
Rip Or Sjax
Billups

HaX
03-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I think manu, parker, and tim are superstars more so than sheed, billups, and rip were... Manu, parker, and tim beat sheed, billups, and rip while both were in there prime

Nope, it's Big Shot Bob's fault, in the finals Spurs where down 2 or 1 with 15 seconds left and Robert Horry nails a 3, and game ended up going into 7 @ the Spurs and we lost, if that didn't happen we would have won again, $@#%%$.

Lakerhead4ever
03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
i think the 08 boston team. but on steroids!

Lakerhead4ever
03-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Pierce and Rondo are superstars

so you put pierce in the same breathe as kobe?lebron?dwade?

is rondo and pierce first ballot hall of famers?

i dnt think so, rondo has a chance because hes young and in my view hes the best pg in the league, but pierce hasnt done much other than win a title once, and hit some clutch shots, his list should be longer at this point of his career dnt u think?

joeboow90
03-08-2011, 06:15 PM
i hope another team comes along like that. they didnt have a "star" but they had some elite players. during those years ben wallace was one of the best centers in the league, billups was also an elite pg, and prince and hamilton were also very good. that team was perfectly put together and if they didnt make the biggest fail of the century for taking Darko Milicic instead of Melo or D-wade then they would still be an elite team to this day.

knickfan33
03-08-2011, 06:18 PM
basketball is two much of a pasny sport now, even then im surprised that team didnt get compleetley f'ed by the refs.... every little touch is a foul, its gonnatough to see another team like that..... closest thing to it now is the spurs....

WeBallin
03-08-2011, 06:20 PM
That 03/04 team was special, i mean they all bought into the 'Goin to Work" theme we had..... We get back there with hard work through the Draft an through free Agency, but its hard nowdays cause the vets nowdays aren't commited like they once were......but larry Brown although he ain't put no balls in the basket....If u ask me he was the most valuable player on the roster the way he got that team to play has spoiled us Piston fans Tremedously

Bruno
03-08-2011, 06:37 PM
I doubt it. What a combination of players. That was the most well-rounded starting line-up I can remember. They have gone down as one of the greatest defensive teams in the history of the league. Much respect for the 2004 Detroit Pistons.

CubsBullsBucs
03-08-2011, 07:32 PM
you cant say they were boring to watch

TheDetroitBlue
03-08-2011, 07:50 PM
unfortuantely probably not

magichatnumber9
03-08-2011, 08:12 PM
you cant say they were boring to watch
This. Those Pistons were awesome. I remember I wanted to be Ben Wallace so bad. Tough MF

NYKalltheway
03-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Sixers came to my mind as well ;)

Doug Collins can really make it happen imo, just needs slights upgrades but core of Jrue, Iggy and Brand can make it happen honestly

IversonIsKrazy
03-08-2011, 08:26 PM
This years' Spurs are pretty close. Duncan isn't a superstar no more, wouldn't define TP as one either in the era of PG's. Manu is the best player, but overall is an all-star. Parker n Manu getting 18ppg, Jefferson 14ppg, Duncan n Hill at 13ppg, Neal at 11ppg. Well balanced team, that can win it all.

el_primo_nano
03-08-2011, 09:23 PM
I think Pop could make a team like that before Duncan retires