PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Loyalty vs Winning

Hellcrooner
03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Theres a chace spurs win this year.

Lets say for the sake of the argument they dont.

Do you think Duncan ( he is a FA after the season) would value more Being loyal to his team or wining more titles?

As i see it if he wanted to win more rings Something that cant be easily assumed with an Aging Manu and Pakrer he could posibly be up to signing an Mle contract.

SHould he sign such a contract with teams like Heat, Bulls, Knicks, Lakers, Mavs and it would put that team he signs for 1st in ring winning chances no matter how you slice it.

What do you think he will do? be grateful to the only team he has played even if it means his chances of extending his legacy are lower or join a team that may put him anywhere between 5 and 8 rings?

210Don
03-08-2011, 01:44 PM
hes never leaving.

JordansBulls
03-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Duncan is the franchise for the Spurs. If he left it would be for more money like Hakeem did in his last year.

SteBO
03-08-2011, 01:46 PM
hes never leaving.
This. Besides, he's got 4 rings with them already anyway.

Hellcrooner
03-08-2011, 01:47 PM
This. Besides, he's got 4 rings with them already anyway.

yeah but thing this way if he managed to get 7 he could get into teh Goat conversation

210Don
03-08-2011, 01:49 PM
i dont think he cares if hes goat if hes not top 5 ever in your list somethings wrong with you.

29$JerZ
03-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Duncan, Kobe and Pierce I cannot see ever leaving their team. They'll all be a Spur, Lakers, Celtic for life imo

JordansBulls
yeah but thing this way if he managed to get 7 he could get into teh Goat conversation

People need to stop saying because someone can get 7 rings it puts them in the GOAT conversation. It isn't rings in itself that does that but you need to have one of the best primes/peaks around and several MVP's. Right now Duncan only has 2 MVP's. Most of the True GOAT candidates have at least 3 Season MVP's and top 10 peaks all time. If this were 1999, 2003, 2005 and maybe 2007 Duncan he could move up, but right now he isn't even the best on his team and could be considered the 3rd best on his team.

Hellcrooner
i dont think he cares if hes goat if hes not top 5 ever in your list somethings wrong with you.

He is the top PF ever in my list

And the best player from the last decade too.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Agreed JB, the only way I see him leaving is for more money, but the Hakeem situation isn't the same. Players now get paid ridiculous amounts, and Duncan has more money than he ever needs.

Here is what loyalty means in sports- A great player was lucky enough to be drafted or traded to on draft night, to a team that has been able to surround that player with the talent necessary to compete for, and win rings.

Why would he want to leave? Uproot his family, etc, to chase another ring, when he already has 4 in the bag, and could get another this year?

This is also why I honestly can't stand the term loyalty in sports. Would Duncan have stayed with the Spurs had they not given him talent? Hell no. He even entertained leaving in 2001, but choose to stay. Its ridiculous to me that players get "credit" for being loyal, when they are drafted into a scenario where losing was never happening.

Guys like Amare, Melo, LeBron, KG, etc, can now not be deemed "loyal" because they happened to go to teams that wouldn't give them championship talent, so they are seeking that chance at a ring elsewhere.

Loyalty in sports means you were drafted to a great team that paid you a ton of money. At least 95% of the time, with the rare outliers

whitemamba33

Yep...the almighty GOAT conversation. One that he could never win...ever. If there is one thing that Duncan has shown that he cares the most about, it's getting in the GOAT conversation.

:rolleyes:

Hawkeye15

I have Tim in my top 10, but he isn't in my top 5. There is nothing wrong with me...

Sactown
03-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Agreed JB, the only way I see him leaving is for more money, but the Hakeem situation isn't the same. Players now get paid ridiculous amounts, and Duncan has more money than he ever needs.

Here is what loyalty means in sports- A great player was lucky enough to be drafted or traded to on draft night, to a team that has been able to surround that player with the talent necessary to compete for, and win rings.

Why would he want to leave? Uproot his family, etc, to chase another ring, when he already has 4 in the bag, and could get another this year?

This is also why I honestly can't stand the term loyalty in sports. Would Duncan have stayed with the Spurs had they not given him talent? Hell no. He even entertained leaving in 2001, but choose to stay. Its ridiculous to me that players get "credit" for being loyal, when they are drafted into a scenario where losing was never happening.

Guys like Amare, Melo, LeBron, KG, etc, can now not be deemed "loyal" because they happened to go to teams that wouldn't give them championship talent, so they are seeking that chance at a ring elsewhere.

Loyalty in sports means you were drafted to a great team that paid you a ton of money. At least 95% of the time, with the rare outliers

this /thread

THE MTL
03-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Duncan already won FOUR RINGS!

210Don
03-08-2011, 01:56 PM
I have Tim in my top 10, but he isn't in my top 5. There is nothing wrong with me...

ehh thats good enough

Sactown
03-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I laugh at how we encourage loyalty, but we hate when players are satisfied with losing... well unless you're drafted to a team that's willing to spend.. you're going to be hated by someone

jezzyman05
03-08-2011, 01:59 PM

yes there is name me 5 PF that have been AS DOMINATE AS Duncan has ....

whitemamba33
03-08-2011, 02:04 PM
yes there is name me 5 PF that have been AS DOMINATE AS Duncan has ....

Just my guess, but I don't think he was talking top 5 PF's, he was talking top 5 players in general.

At least I HOPE that is what he meant.

jezzyman05
03-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Duncan entertained leaving in 2001?....and hows this..... he never left to visit any team....the Chicago visit was just a rumor......Robinson influenced Duncan before he even became a free agent....the whole city was rallying a "STAY TIM STAY" campaign, he was rumored that tim would think about leaving if the SBC (now att ) Center would not have gotten approved but I don't recall any serious talks about Tim actually leaving and I follw the team very well...

jezzyman05
03-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Just my guess, but I don't think he was talking top 5 PF's, he was talking top 5 players in general.

At least I HOPE that is what he meant.

OK then thats cool and I will agree with that top 10 maybe top 5 PF yes for sure

Lake_Show2416
03-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Timmy is a boss, he ain't no punk, he's retiring a Spur, no doubt

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-08-2011, 02:08 PM

no he wouldn't.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Duncan entertained leaving in 2001?....and hows this..... he never left to visit any team....the Chicago visit was just a rumor......Robinson influenced Duncan before he even became a free agent....the whole city was rallying a "STAY TIM STAY" campaign, he was rumored that tim would think about leaving if the SBC (now att ) Center would not have gotten approved but I don't recall any serious talks about Tim actually leaving and I follw the team very well...

Duncan weighed his options at that time and New Jersey was hot after him. He signed back with the Spurs relatively quickly, realizing that his situation was just fine. The arena was also part of the discussion.

You are missing the point though dude. I am not going to debate whether or not he was going to leave. But he entertained it, and the Spurs had to sell him on his own team to bring him back.

Duncan was drafted into a dream scenario for a great young player. And his team is the best run franchise in the NBA. So he will get credit for being loyal, when he really has never faced the situations most the stars do. Needing more talent to win a ring, hence they need to leave their team to win a ring.

edit: btw, that is all you got out of my post? haha, way to not come in looking to go homer about Duncan

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
and yes, to anyone who is confused, I meant Duncan in not in my top 5 list of greatest players of all time.

Can't believe that was confusing to some of you

jezzyman05
03-08-2011, 02:10 PM

agree and with Amy (Tim's wife) running their finances she got them setup ......oprah rich style..

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
agree and with Amy (Tim's wife) running their finances she got them setup ......oprah rich style..

I love the term, "Oprah rich"

Double_R
03-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Duncan is the best PF ever, he has nothing to prove, why leave???

ttam68
03-08-2011, 02:13 PM
This can't be serious.

tdunk21
03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
duncan will retire a spur .....doesnt matter if he wins a ring this year or not....

bbcmillionaire
03-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Pg-Stockton or magic
Sg-mj
Sf-pippen(maybe lebron in the future?)
Pf-Tim duncan
C-shaq/Hakeem/Russell
Those are the best at their position with the arguable replacements,

With that said timmys goat pf and j don't see him leaving

jezzyman05
03-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Duncan weighed his options at that time and New Jersey was hot after him. He signed back with the Spurs relatively quickly, realizing that his situation was just fine. The arena was also part of the discussion.

You are missing the point though dude. I am not going to debate whether or not he was going to leave. But he entertained it, and the Spurs had to sell him on his own team to bring him back.

Duncan was drafted into a dream scenario for a great young player. And his team is the best run franchise in the NBA. So he will get credit for being loyal, when he really has never faced the situations most the stars do. Needing more talent to win a ring, hence they need to leave their team to win a ring.

edit: btw, that is all you got out of my post? haha, way to not come in looking to go homer about Duncan

im breaking it down slowly sorry got several things going on at once

tdunk21
03-08-2011, 02:16 PM

i think there were rumors of timmy leaving spurs to play in orlando...but he chose to stay

210Don
03-08-2011, 02:17 PM

you seem to love to discredit timmys accomplishments... you really think the talent they put around him was top notch??? i mean we won a championship with nazr mohammed & fabricio oberto as our starting centers... timmy made great role players they just found the right guys to fit with him.... as far as the talent goes the talent the spurs put around him is nothing compared to the lakers pistons or heat championships that won in between us.

jezzyman05
03-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Rumor has it that he is going to open a high performance shop here in San Antonio

THE MTL
03-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I like how ppl RAVE about Duncan's loyalty when his team won 4 championships and wins at least 50 games a season. LOL. I would be LOYAL too!

JordansBulls
Pg-Stockton or magic
Sg-mj
Pf-Tim duncan
C-shaq/Hakeem/Russell

That has to be a joke?

Bird, Dr J, Barry, Baylor, Havlicek to name a few.

jezzyman05
i think there were rumors of timmy leaving spurs to play in orlando...but he chose to stay

might have been but I dont think they were serious I know Chicago and New Jersey were serious, enough to get my attention.....ha memories

I love San Antonio

jezzyman05
03-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Pg-Stockton or magic
Sg-mj
Pf-Tim duncan
C-shaq/Hakeem/Russell

Pg-Stockton/ magic - agree altough I can see Bob Cousey, West and Thomas being in the running
Sg-mj - Agree
Sf-pippen(maybe lebron in the future?) - disagree
Pf-Tim duncan - agree
C-shaq/Hakeem/Russell - somewhat agree

SF- Larry Bird/ DrJ -- I would go with Bird if I had to decide

C- not trying to be a homer but David Robinson should be here, not as the GOAT but among the top 5 im sorry im not sold on Shaq I think Robinson was a better Center (all round play, low post moves..etc.) I think the GOAT for the center would have to go with Wilt Chamberlain during his hey day he was dominate and some of his accomplishments will never be matched

C- Wilt/ Russell/ Hakeem/Robinson/ and then Shaq.

I was very fortuate to have grown up with watching Jordan, Bird, Robinson, Duncan, Oljauwon, Dr J, Magic Johnson, Malone.....when Duncan retires it will be the end of that era.

topdog
03-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Why would he? He was fortunate enough to be drafted by a great organization like the Spurs and win multiple titles. It makes no sense now for him to tarnish his legacy chasing a championship.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 02:35 PM
im breaking it down slowly sorry got several things going on at once

haha, no problem dude. But what I said is true I think. Loyalty is a wishy washy term in today's sports, especially the NBA. Its a players league now.

jezzyman05
03-08-2011, 02:40 PM
haha, no problem dude. But what I said is true I think. Loyalty is a wishy washy term in today's sports, especially the NBA. Its a players league now.

ya I can agree

AlexTmz2
03-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Timmy isn't going anywhere. Why would he be a ring chaser when he already has 4. :win:

shep33
03-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Duncan, Kobe and Pierce I cannot see ever leaving their team. They'll all be a Spur, Lakers, Celtic for life imo

yeah I agree

Hellcrooner
03-08-2011, 02:49 PM
^well i never did see ewing ,jordan, pippen, malone, drexler or hakeem playing on a different jersey coming and it happened.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 02:49 PM
you seem to love to discredit timmys accomplishments... you really think the talent they put around him was top notch??? i mean we won a championship with nazr mohammed & fabricio oberto as our starting centers... timmy made great role players they just found the right guys to fit with him.... as far as the talent goes the talent the spurs put around him is nothing compared to the lakers pistons or heat championships that won in between us.

are you serious? Yes, he has had a great amount of talent around him every single year of his career, starting in year 1.

You seem to discredit your front office's accomplishments dude.

You don't seem to get how good your rosters have been dude. I love how you bring up role players, while leaving out David Robinson, Tony Parker, Manu Ginoboli, Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson, Mario Elie, Robert Horry, and more.

You absolutely have had more talent, year in and year out, than any other team since 1996.

magichatnumber9
03-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I love that Timmy respects this game. The G.O.A.T things is dumb and irrelevant.

210Don
03-08-2011, 02:53 PM
are you serious? Yes, he has had a great amount of talent around him every single year of his career, starting in year 1.

You seem to discredit your front office's accomplishments dude.

You don't seem to get how good your rosters have been dude. I love how you bring up role players, while leaving out David Robinson, Tony Parker, Manu Ginoboli, Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson, Mario Elie, Robert Horry, and more.

You absolutely have had more talent, year in and year out, than any other team since 1996.

yes we had great talent but not to the extent you seen to think so timmy carried us from 1999 to 2007 when shots werent falling he never came up short.....
compare the other rosters to the spurs id say youd pick those rosters over us 99% of the time.

the heat had shaq & wade two SUPERSTARS
The pistons had 5 incredible players plus a good bench
the lakers cast was incredible not to mention shaq & kobe

we have never had that second SUPERSTAR.
and timmy still got it done.
yes our role players were great and are great but compared to the other championship teams please!
again we won a championship with nazr mohammaed & fabricio as our starting center.

AlexTmz2
03-08-2011, 02:58 PM
yes we had great talent but not to the extent you seen to think so timmy carried us from 1999 to 2007 when shots werent falling he never came up short.....
compare the other rosters to the spurs id say youd pick those rosters over us 99% of the time.

yes our role players were great and are great but compared to the other championship teams please!
again we won a championship with nazr mohammaed & fabricio as our starting center.

Very well said, :hi5:.

Hellcrooner
03-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Admiral was teh second star.

Manu and Parker are second starts two TWO OF THEM

210Don
03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Admiral was teh second star.

Manu and Parker are second starts two TWO OF THEM

admiral was great the first championship but sorry not star level....
tony and manu are great but they are so inconsistent you cant put them on the same level as kobe shaq & wade. in 2005 manu played star type tony was no where to be found, in 2007 tony played star type manu was merely a role player, the common factor in our chips was timmy and he never let down.again we had a great championship cast but that dude loves to discredit timmy and his accomplishments.

Mile High Champ
03-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Duncan will spend his entire career with the Spurs. I have no doubt in my mind that is indeed the case. Duncan is one of those rare players that cares more about team success than his own individual accolades and achievements. I think his relationship with Management, Ownership and with Gregg Popovich is much strong to pry him away to another team. He has made all the money he could possibly want so for him now it is all about familiarity and loyalty. Duncan had a chance years ago to bolt SA but he didn't and there will be certainly no team on the market that could make a good enough pitch to get him to leave town.

abe_froman
03-08-2011, 03:23 PM
who says the spurs wont be beasts next year as well? with san antonjio get gets the best of both

M.Bibby2.0
03-08-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm not a Spurs fan in any way, but you do have to give it up for Tim Duncan and the organization. They do a fantastic job drafting/developing players and implementing them into their system. The players buy into the Popovich's system and play their roles and that's why the Spurs are always a good team. Duncan will have no reason to sign with a stacked team when hes already with a team that's always in playoffs and always in conversation for title contention.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 03:28 PM

Manu and Parker are plenty great enough, along with the Admiral. You don't need two superstars. I think having a top 10 player ever, players with multiple all star appearances, defenders, snipers, rebounders, health, and arguably a top 5 NBA coach of all time does wonders in the ring department.

Why are you hinged up on the fact that another out of this world player has never played with Duncan, outside the Admiral? Manu and Parker alone are more help than almost any other superstar would get.

You need great role players, defenders, shooters, a deep bench, clutch players, etc to win a ring. And San Antonio always had these, as well as at least 1 all star or better to give Duncan support.

why do you bring up a couple of role players that started for you? EVERY championship team has role players at some starting positions.

Mile High Champ
03-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Manu and Parker are plenty great enough, along with the Admiral. You don't need two superstars. I think having a top 10 player ever, players with multiple all star appearances, defenders, snipers, rebounders, health, and arguably a top 5 NBA coach of all time does wonders in the ring department.

Why are you hinged up on the fact that another out of this world player has never played with Duncan, outside the Admiral? Manu and Parker alone are more help than almost any other superstar would get.

You need great role players, defenders, shooters, a deep bench, clutch players, etc to win a ring. And San Antonio always had these, as well as at least 1 all star or better to give Duncan support.

why do you bring up a couple of role players that started for you? EVERY championship team has role players at some starting positions.

Agreed and well said, a big +1 from me.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
admiral was great the first championship but sorry not star level....
tony and manu are great but they are so inconsistent you cant put them on the same level as kobe shaq & wade. in 2005 manu played star type tony was no where to be found, in 2007 tony played star type manu was merely a role player, the common factor in our chips was timmy and he never let down.again we had a great championship cast but that dude loves to discredit timmy and his accomplishments.

B.S. You simply think Duncan put a bunch of role players on his back for 4 rings, which is completely false. You discredit Manu and Tony, as well as the entire Spurs organization with your posts like these dude.

Face it. Tim Duncan has had as strong of a roster as any superstar has ever had over his career. That is an indisputable fact. It doesn't take away from how great Duncan has been as a player, and that is where you get confused. But your attitude on this site is that of, "everyone is out to get me", so you take any post in that manner.

Read between the lines, and don't assume things dude.

tdunk21
03-08-2011, 03:33 PM

agreed....and also bowen was a major help for the spurs on defense, not that he is a superstar but he was a very good role player

210Don
03-08-2011, 03:33 PM

exactly but you always bring up the fact that timmy had these. like kobe shaq & wade or the pistons didnt..... you always say he had the best FO or role players when in fact he didnt and you always hold it against him, you never talk about shaq having great help or wade or kobe just him...
let me ask you. do you put shaq ahead of duncan?

210Don
03-08-2011, 03:35 PM
B.S. You simply think Duncan put a bunch of role players on his back for 4 rings, which is completely false. You discredit Manu and Tony, as well as the entire Spurs organization with your posts like these dude.

Face it. Tim Duncan has had as strong of a roster as any superstar has ever had over his career. That is an indisputable fact. It doesn't take away from how great Duncan has been as a player, and that is where you get confused. But your attitude on this site is that of, "everyone is out to get me", so you take any post in that manner.

Read between the lines, and don't assume things dude.

:facepalm:
just accept the fact you hate tim duncan and the spurs...

M.Bibby2.0
03-08-2011, 03:39 PM
exactly but you always bring up the fact that timmy had these. like kobe shaq & wade or the pistons didnt..... you always say he had the best FO or role players when in fact he didnt and you always hold it against him, you never talk about shaq having great help or wade or kobe just him...

Good question, i think Duncan is way ahead of shaq in terms of talent, Shaq was very physically dominant. That being said, I'd say there about equal could make an argument for both being the best at their positions.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 03:45 PM

um, you don't read many of my posts then. I absolutely bring up Kobe's help, or Wade's help. I have no idea how you missed this, I get Laker fans left and right who hate me for bringing up the obvious.

I have Shaq personally a spot or two above Duncan, yes. But I could live with an intelligent counterargument to that. The reason, long story short, is because Shaq, in his peak years, was so far and away the most dominant player in the league, he had no challengers. Now, Tim gets major credit for his absolutely cyborg-like consistency. Never has he had a year that made you just go "WOW!" statistically. But every single year reads 22-12-defense, etc. Its ridiculous.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 03:48 PM
agreed....and also bowen was a major help for the spurs on defense, not that he is a superstar but he was a very good role player

oh I left many off. Bowen, Kerr, Daniels, Malik, Jax, the list goes on. The Spurs have always had a strong roster since even before Duncan arrived.

JordansBulls
03-08-2011, 03:50 PM
^well i never did see ewing ,jordan, pippen, malone, drexler or hakeem playing on a different jersey coming and it happened.

Only Drexler did so when he was still an elite player. The others did not.

tdunk21
03-08-2011, 03:55 PM
oh I left many off. Bowen, Kerr, Daniels, Malik, Jax, the list goes on. The Spurs have always had a strong roster since even before Duncan arrived.

but timmy does deserve major credit for all the rings and spurs success....

slimnia
03-08-2011, 03:57 PM
an aging manu n parker?? are u like ******** to make this post......there first in the whole friggin league right now!! do u think there gonna age 10 yrs over the summer n all of a sudden drop to last place? lol spurrs have great talent obv thats why there successful n have been for about 15 yrs n with guys like george hill n good role players fitting in there just fine.....yaa...duncan leaving a more successful team to go with a less successful team really helps his chances of a title lol ever hear of free agency? wouldnt it be smarter for the spurs to bring in peices...think before you type lol

tdunk21
03-08-2011, 04:03 PM
an aging manu n parker?? are u like ******** to make this post......there first in the whole friggin league right now!! do u think there gonna age 10 yrs over the summer n all of a sudden drop to last place? lol spurrs have great talent obv thats why there successful n have been for about 15 yrs n with guys like george hill n good role players fitting in there just fine.....yaa...duncan leaving a more successful team to go with a less successful team really helps his chances of a title lol ever hear of free agency? wouldnt it be smarter for the spurs to bring in peices...think before you type lol

why do u stink up a good discussion dude.....totally uncalled for

Raph12
03-08-2011, 04:09 PM
He's not leaving, he may retire though; he said if he feels like he's no longer playing at that high level, he'll just retire.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 04:12 PM
but timmy does deserve major credit for all the rings and spurs success....

of course he does. I have never said otherwise. Duncan is a top 10 player ever. I am simply trying to crap on the notion that LOYALTY is a term that should be used to describe a player who entered his professional career in an ideal situation, and has had the roster support, coach, as well as front office support, that any superstar would be jealous of. Its not a slight on Tim. But I can't give him credit for "sticking with a team through the rough years", when there really haven't been any. Not in comparison to almost any other superstar to enter the NBA

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 04:14 PM

THAT is your first post here?

Please don't be rude here on this site.

Khalifa21
03-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Nope... Spurs for life.

He doesn't need any more rings to cement his legacy, a top 10 player ever and the greatest PF ever along with four rings is enough for him.

Frrrrank!!!
03-08-2011, 07:21 PM

Do you consider Pierce "loyal" relative to others?

Hawkeye15
03-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Do you consider Pierce "loyal" relative to others?

without going thru past stuff and researching words he may have used when the Celtics were down, I would say sure, he is loyal. But again, the term is what I have an issue with. Players nowadays just don't seem to care about the city on their jersey like they used to. Loyalty is a term that doesn't hold much water anymore imo. But sure, Pierce stayed despite the rebuilding efforts of the C's, and luckily, circumstances came up which allowed Ainge to cash in his chips because 2 teams were stuck in mediocracy with two superstars.

Again, its the term I don't like. Do I think Pierce would have left the Celtics to chase a ring had KG and Allen never joined them? Personally, yes. But its speculation on my part, so its not fair for me to say that and push it to Celtics fans.