PDA

View Full Version : Is at least one Selfish player needed to win it all?

Hellcrooner
03-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Jordan was selfish, Thomas was selfish, Shaq was selfish, Kobe is selfish.
One would think that every team needs one hig volume shooter to go to the big dance.

My question is coudl a team with 5 unselfish starters be able to win it alll, sharing the ball, the top scorers making around 17 ppg and the rest of starters around 13 ppg.

Something in this line.

Kidd, G Wallace, Battier, duncan, Pau ( yep g wallace is not exactly a Sg but i couldnt find a single unselfish sg in teh whole league :p)

Minimal
03-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Didn't the Boston Celtics win the championship a couple of years ago?

Hellcrooner
03-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Didn't the Boston Celtics win the championship a couple of years ago?

Pierce is more selfish than the dudes i signaled.

MoBASS
03-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Detroit was pretty unselfish that year. San Antonio too

bovice163
03-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Being selfish is not the trait that brought those guys championship. It's all about the will to win, and having a dominating and unwavering mental fortitude on and off the court. Not to mention those guys actually WORKED countless hours on their games, and didn't rely on skill and talent to win them rings.

bulldog312
03-08-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't think volume shooter and selfish should automatically be linked together.

nickdymez
03-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Being selfish is not the trait that brought those guys championship. It's all about the will to win, and having a dominating and unwavering mental fortitude on and off the court. Not to mention those guys actually WORKED countless hours on their games, and didn't rely on skill and talent to win them rings.

lol, thats a jab..

bovice163
03-08-2011, 01:18 PM
lol, thats a jab..

;)

JordansBulls
03-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Jordan was selfish, Thomas was selfish, Shaq was selfish, Kobe is selfish.
One would think that every team needs one hig volume shooter to go to the big dance.

My question is coudl a team with 5 unselfish starters be able to win it alll, sharing the ball, the top scorers making around 17 ppg and the rest of starters around 13 ppg.

Something in this line.

Kidd, G Wallace, Battier, duncan, Pau ( yep g wallace is not exactly a Sg but i couldnt find a single unselfish sg in teh whole league :p)

Not sure how you can say Jordan was selfish when he played off the ball most of the time during the title years and was clearly the most productive player on the team. It's not like he had other guys on the team that were going to lead in Win Shares and/or PER.

Also how was Isiah selfish? He didn't even lead his team in scoring, PER or Win Shares during his title runs. He was probably on one of the most balanced teams ever.

Hellcrooner
03-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Not sure how you can say Jordan was selfish when he played off the ball most of the time during the title years and was clearly the most productive player on the team. It's not like he had other guys on the team that were going to lead in Win Shares and/or PER.

Also how was Isiah selfish? He didn't even lead his team in scoring, PER or Win Shares during his title runs. He was probably on one of the most balanced teams ever.

Thomas was one of the firts Pg to take a lot of shots a game.
It wasnt so common back in the day.

And come one you know mj took a TON of shots , he codl ahve handed 2 more assists a game raise pips scoring averages and still win the thing.

Raph12
03-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Has nothing to do with being selfish, it has to do with defining each players' role on a very talented team... Talent, coaching and effort will win you championships.

jrm2054
03-08-2011, 01:36 PM
yes they can

JordansBulls
03-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Thomas was one of the firts Pg to take a lot of shots a game.
It wasnt so common back in the day.

And come one you know mj took a TON of shots , he codl ahve handed 2 more assists a game raise pips scoring averages and still win the thing.

Selfish is taking shots when you know you have other guys effective on the team. Bulls really didn't have that

And Isiah barely led his team in scoring one year. You are acting like he was averaging 25 ppg.

Avenged
03-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Superstars/elite players are "forced" to take over a game, which is why they are superstars. To win it all, you need a go-to guy, a player everyone trusts and puts the ball in his hands to win him games. If that's what you mean, then yes, most times than not you need a guy that's able to put the team on his back.

ZHawk1123
03-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Nobody on the Celtics is selfish.

Sactown
03-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Kings in 2002 would by the best example IMO..

THE MTL
03-08-2011, 02:16 PM
The Detroit Pistons were absolutely unselfish. I would say the Spurs are pretty much too.

tdunk21
03-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Spurs, pistons and celtics...

Lake_Show2416
03-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Has nothing to do with being selfish, it has to do with defining each players' role on a very talented team... Talent, coaching and effort will win you championships.

this

JayAllDay
03-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Somebody needs to demand the ball in crunch time yes, but I'm not so sure if "selfish" is the right word for it

Bruno
03-08-2011, 06:45 PM
2004 Pistons.

Aapox
03-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Somebody needs to demand the ball in crunch time yes, but I'm not so sure if "selfish" is the right word for it

I was going to say something like this, but he already said it better.

HouRealCoach
03-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Wallace
Wallace
Prince
Hamilton
Billups... Which of them were selfish?

and its funny how the creator of this thread is a fan of Detroit(I think)

08 Celtics werent selfish, none of the 80s teams were selfish, Spurs werent selfish... and the 72 Lakers werent... If you have a team where Wilt is averaging 13 ppg thats far from selfish

Jordan wasnt selfish either and Kobe isnt either... Maybe when he was like 19 and 20 maybe he was but not now

Ricky Davis and Ben Gordon are selfish

Furymaker
03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Nick Young is selfish
Celtics 2008 weren't selfish

redsox0717
03-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Pierce is selfish? LOL

Hellcrooner
03-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Wallace
Wallace
Prince
Hamilton

08 Celtics werent selfish, none of the 80s teams were selfish, Spurs werent selfish... and the 72 Lakers werent... If you have a team where Wilt is averaging 13 ppg thats far from selfish

Jordan wasnt selfish either and Kobe isnt either... Maybe when he was like 19 and 20 maybe he was but not now

Read again the sig, im the pistons Gm in psds SIM LEAGUE:

Im a Laker fan.

JasonJohnHorn
03-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Thomas selfish? Yeah, I guess that is why he is only one of three players to ever post more than 1000 assists in a season. He just DID NOT pass the ball.

Seriously, the Spurs have won it 4 times now: No selfish players. The Pistons won three times (Dumars.Thomas 2 Billups.Prince.Hamilton.Sheed.Ben 1).

When the Heat won it, Wade moved the ball. He scored big numbers because of the number of fouls he drew, but he was not being selfish. And it wasnt until Kobe got Gasol and started sharing the ball with Gasol and Odom and being a willing passer to guys like Fish that LA went back on top.

Hakeem.Thorpe.Drexler.Cassel.MadMax.Smith: They were not selfish. Two rings.

Magic? No selfish.

Russell: Not selfish: 11 rings.

So no, you dont need a selfish player.

KnicksorBust
03-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Wallace
Wallace
Prince
Hamilton

I can't stand seeing your posts. But that's only because of your sig. :mad:

I agree completely with your post. The OP is way off here. The 80s more than any decade demonstrated this. Bird and Magic were the kings of ball movement despite being Superstars. I can also think of a certain team or two from the early 70s that was pretty unselfish as well. :)