PDA

View Full Version : ESPN/ABC Basketball Personalities

SST137
03-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Here is a list of the main 9 personalities/commentators who work during nationally televised games aired on ABC and ESPN.

Mike Tirico
Mike Breen
Jeff Van Gundy
Doris Burke
John Barry
Dan Shulman
Hubie Brown
Mike Brown
Mark Jackson

With a lot of major games being played and coming up and the playoffs only 20 or so games away, I was wondering which commentator fans enjoyed listening to the most, and which commentator fans can't stand. If you have any reasoning to why you like listening to them or don't write that as well. If I had to list my favorite from 1 to 9 it would be like this.

1- Mike Breen: I'm a little bias here since I've been a huge Knick fan for my entire life, but I love listening to Breen. He truly knows what he is talking about, is very understandable and he gets to work Knick games and nationally televised ABC/ESPN games. Nothing gets better than that.

2- Mike Tirico: Very knowledgeable. Doesn't talk too much and speaks extremely smooth. Again, whats better than MNF and all these NBA games he works?

3- Dan Shulman: I like Shulman as well. He has a very interesting voice and does a good job each game he does. Not spectacular but very good.

4- Jeff Van Gundy: A lot of people hate on Van Gundy. Some of his jokes are so dumb and yes his voice does get overwhelming, but he really knows what hes talking about. He understands the game of basketball so well that sometimes he is enlightening.

5- Mark Jackson: Here's where the list gets hard. I had to go Jackson here. I think some of the stuff this guy says makes him sound like an idiot. In his book hes always right. But, he possesses great chemistry with Breen, as well as Van Gundy and that can provide in some good commentary and some good laughs.

6- Mike Brown: Saw he started to commentate live games on ESPN. Haven't really heard too much of what he's done but as a studio analyst his voice is so annoying and he's always sucking Lebron's D. It gets old.

7- Hubie Brown: If I hear one more time how Mike Miller is the best shooter and the best person in the world I'm going to go crazy. The guy literally knows everything about basketball, but he never shuts up. He continues to ramble even through commercial break. Even worse he always mixes up the teams when there is a call and even the players.

8- Doris Burke: It's not really because she is a woman that she's 8 on my list. She's just genuinely annoying. I can't stand her voice and her opinion on some things and some of the things she says are really ridiculous. I feel like she works every night whether it's the college game or the pros. Stick to college Doris.

9- John Barry: I literally can't stand John Barry, or his brother on NBA TV. John talks and gets on people like he achieved something in the NBA, like hes a hall of famer or has a ring. He's so pompous, even in his commentating. Worst of all, his voice gets so irritating.

So, I'd like to know with the playoffs rolling around, who do you want to hear commentating your favorite teams game? And, if you had to list these personalities 1 through 9, what would your list look like and why?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-08-2011, 06:32 AM
The Van Gundy crue

Raidaz4Life
03-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Hubie and Doris easily ruin the other two for me so this is hands down the Breen Team.

redsox0717
03-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Hubie/Tirico for me and it isn't close

and I'm not sure where you got Mike Brown from on that team

magichatnumber9
03-08-2011, 08:50 AM
I like the John Barry crew

IAmKira
03-08-2011, 08:57 AM
i hate Hubie Brown with a passion

Slimsim
03-08-2011, 09:24 AM
JVG is to funny

Evolution23
03-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Here is a list of the main 9 personalities/commentators who work during nationally televised games aired on ABC and ESPN.

Mike Tirico
Mike Breen
Jeff Van Gundy
Doris Burke
John Barry
Dan Shulman
Hubie Brown
Mike Brown
Mark Jackson

With a lot of major games being played and coming up and the playoffs only 20 or so games away, I was wondering which commentator fans enjoyed listening to the most, and which commentator fans can't stand. If you have any reasoning to why you like listening to them or don't write that as well. If I had to list my favorite from 1 to 9 it would be like this.

1- Mike Breen: I'm a little bias here since I've been a huge Knick fan for my entire life, but I love listening to Breen. He truly knows what he is talking about, is very understandable and he gets to work Knick games and nationally televised ABC/ESPN games. Nothing gets better than that.

2- Mike Tirico: Very knowledgeable. Doesn't talk too much and speaks extremely smooth. Again, whats better than MNF and all these NBA games he works?

3- Dan Shulman: I like Shulman as well. He has a very interesting voice and does a good job each game he does. Not spectacular but very good.

4- Jeff Van Gundy: A lot of people hate on Van Gundy. Some of his jokes are so dumb and yes his voice does get overwhelming, but he really knows what hes talking about. He understands the game of basketball so well that sometimes he is enlightening.

5- Mark Jackson: Here's where the list gets hard. I had to go Jackson here. I think some of the stuff this guy says makes him sound like an idiot. In his book hes always right. But, he possesses great chemistry with Breen, as well as Van Gundy and that can provide in some good commentary and some good laughs.

6- Mike Brown: Saw he started to commentate live games on ESPN. Haven't really heard too much of what he's done but as a studio analyst his voice is so annoying and he's always sucking Lebron's D. It gets old.

7- Hubie Brown: If I hear one more time how Mike Miller is the best shooter and the best person in the world I'm going to go crazy. The guy literally knows everything about basketball, but he never shuts up. He continues to ramble even through commercial break. Even worse he always mixes up the teams when there is a call and even the players.

8- Doris Burke: It's not really because she is a woman that she's 8 on my list. She's just genuinely annoying. I can't stand her voice and her opinion on some things and some of the things she says are really ridiculous. I feel like she works every night whether it's the college game or the pros. Stick to college Doris.

9- John Barry: I literally can't stand John Barry, or his brother on NBA TV. John talks and gets on people like he achieved something in the NBA, like hes a hall of famer or has a ring. He's so pompous, even in his commentating. Worst of all, his voice gets so irritating.

So, I'd like to know with the playoffs rolling around, who do you want to hear commentating your favorite teams game? And, if you had to list these personalities 1 through 9, what would your list look like and why?

wow you pretty much nailed the whole crew in the exact order i would've picked. Gj I guess Knick fans are really really smart :D

lakers4sho
03-08-2011, 10:14 AM
JVG and Mark Jackson are entertaining and they're my favorite. I also like Huebe Brown he analyzes that game like it's his last day on earth.

The others are meh.

But I hate the Barry bang bros. Both Jon and Brent. They're simply horrible. No further explanation.

D-Leethal
03-08-2011, 11:22 AM
well you can't really compare the color commentators to the play by play announcers

Breen, Tirico, and Shulman are all play by play guys, the others are the color commentators who provide the knowledge and experience.....

Hubie is the best and is pure knowledge, does his homework and provides awesome insight

JVG and Mark Jackson are more of a entertainment gimmick and make jokes more than actually talk about the game on hand and basketball........I personally hate listening to them

Jon Barry is a clown

Doris Burke annoys me but you can't deny she knows her **** is provides some great insight

Only seen Mike Brown once and wasn't really impressed......

I don't really like TNT's cast either......Reggie sucks, Fratello is OK

Chacarron
03-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Marv Albert ftw. Here I would take Van Gundy's crew.

Sly Guy
03-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I like them all, but JVG & co are the most entertaining.

Raph12
03-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I prefer Hubie to anyone else and I hate the **** out of Jon Barry, he's the epitome of a bandwagonner...

danniboi168
03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
i like mike breen and Marv albert.

SST137
03-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Mike brown just started commentating games a few weeks ago.

Sadds The Gr8
03-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Jon Barry is ****in terrible and so is Doris Burke

allSUAVE
03-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Hahahahah YES you nailed the Jon Barry part!

mgsports
03-08-2011, 05:36 PM
You forgot Tim Legler but hasn't called a Game on TV this year yet so hasn't Elmore and DICK V.
TNT has good Crews and so would NBATV if they were allowed to like send Fan Night crew to call the Game.

Lake_Show2416
03-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Doris Burke is the worst commentator in basketball, literally makes it hard to watch the game

gilly
03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/14blqvn.jpg

THINKBLUE15
03-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Breen, JVG, Jackson are the best crew.

For three......BANG!
Mama there goes that man...hand down...man down

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Breen's team.

millerandco
05-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Van Gundy is the best to listen to for entertaining value

but you cant be hubie brown. basketball god. and the most talented announcer by far

Sadds The Gr8
05-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Hubie is cool, so is JVG and Mark Jackson. Doris Burke and Jon Barry can go **** themselves.

210Don
05-07-2011, 06:28 PM
tirico brown for sure hate jvg and that *****

Ollie Tabooger
05-07-2011, 06:29 PM
why are so many ****ing threads being bumped lately

Cano4prez
05-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I'll go with JVG, Breen, and Jackson. I really like Hubie Brown but Mike Tirico really needs to gtfo so I can't choose their group, and Doris Burke is... well Doris Burke :facepalm:

theheatles
05-07-2011, 06:36 PM
yay - tirico, breen and van gundy

nay - doris, jon barry and hubie

MrfadeawayJB
05-07-2011, 07:09 PM
doris burke sucks