PDA

View Full Version : Would Phil make the Heat better?

Supa
03-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Question:

Would Phil Jackson make a difference if he is the coach of Miami Heat?

Phil is set to retired after this season. Will the brass of Heat's front office be able to convince him otherwise? Is he the right coach for the Heat?

Discuss

---

six
03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I was actually thinking about this recently, a sign from God. He is going to Heat, possibly.

Ripper Gein
03-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Indubatebely.

abe_froman
03-07-2011, 03:56 PM
yes he'd make them better,he'd make anyone better

will they convince him to coach there? i highly doubt it

jiggin
03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
who cares? is there going to be a thread started asking if Red Auerbach would have made the heat better too?

JordansBulls
03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
He would make them better in the sense he is proven coach now and the Heat would have no choice but to listen to whatever he says.

Slimsim
03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Yup i don't think Spo gets much respect from the big three

b0nk
03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
probably yes
he knows how to deal with players with big egos

Rivera
03-07-2011, 04:04 PM
yes...phil would command respect and jackson would give each and every member of the big 3 in miami a DEFINED role

bovice163
03-07-2011, 04:04 PM
The Heat have all the pieces to run the triangle offense almost perfectly, aside from good shooters on the wings. Not to mention Phil is probably the best coach at managing talents and egos.

hvg
03-07-2011, 04:05 PM
They should go get Jerry Sloan.

Bullsfan22
03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
The Heat have all the pieces to run the triangle offense almost perfectly, aside from good shooters on the wings. Not to mention Phil is probably the best coach at managing talents and egos.

lmfao at your sig haha that's clutchx3

J4KOP99
03-07-2011, 04:09 PM
The Heat have the perfect and I mean PERFECT roster to run the triangle.

The chances of this happening though... probably 2%.

EWreckShin
03-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes.

bovice163
03-07-2011, 04:21 PM
lmfao at your sig haha that's clutchx3

You like Jerry's tongue waggle? :laugh2:

marques724
03-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Yes he would but I highly doubt Phil Jackson would work for Pat Riley

gilly
03-07-2011, 05:08 PM
The Heat players wouldn't be able to say **** to Phil.

Big Three: Hey coach what the f!
Phil: Hey guys, lemme ask you something. Between the three of you, how many rings have you got?
Big Three: Uh, one.
Phil: And how many have I got?
Big Three: Okay coach.

Supa
03-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Yes he would but I highly doubt Phil Jackson would work for Pat Riley

They do differ greatly in style.

Pat is a harsh disciplinarian that eventually wore out his welcome in LA despite his success.

Phil is a so-call "zen master" who seems casual and at ease, but will challenge you with mind games and witty quips.

Sloan is also a harsh disciplinarian, so perhaps he will work better with Riley.

Of course, Miami can always give more time to Erik Spoelstra to work out the kinks.

---

Fnom11
03-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I'd rather have Riley, but of course Phil would, almost every coach in the league except Spo would.

lakers4sho
03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
The heat have the perfect roster to run the triangle? Really?

smiddy012
03-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Grown men do not cry after basketball games unless its out of sheer joy and/or relief.

And of course a strict authoritarian, someone who won't take **** from anyone, would help Lebron (as he's been catered to his whole life and continues to be).

nrwskinny
03-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Of course Phil wont retire...the Heat are up and coming...and with him they can win a championship.. That what Phil does...he won't go to say, the CLippers and turn them into a contender..he will take a team already assembled and primed to make a run.

The-Human-Cigar
03-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Question: Would Phil Jackson make a difference if he is the coach of Miami Heat?

No. Phil Jackson drops into opportunities to coach teams that have a majority of pieces in place for a winning "team". The Miami heat while talented with the Big 2 (LeBron & Wade) begin to trail off with Bosh (save Haslem who is out injured) and it just gets worse from there.

Jackson fell into the Chicago situation and then joined the Lakers in what is probably the "smartest" move ever by a coach seeing the same winning formula he had in Chicago. Brought in a couple of role players and viola... championship runs again.

Remember Jackson left LA for a year. Then came back when Shaq left the team for Miami. If Miami is having the same drama with it's current stars that Shaq and Kobe had I think it unlikely Phil would take that on. Especially since the team is very top heavy with talent. He likes quality bench players who can come in and stir the pot defensively and offensively when he needs to put a shot in the arm of the team.

My 2 cents....

Max Power
03-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Without a doubt. But no way would the ego even consider hiring him.

DoubleDragon
03-07-2011, 06:00 PM

Without question.

Just as Poppovich would. There is a crazy amount of talent in South Beach, but it just seems like the players aren't responding to the young coach and it all unravels. Look, the Heat are scary talented, but Spoelstra (understandably) doesn't have the resume to gain the absolute respect of their superstars. It's alot to ask of a young unproven coach IMO. Thing is, when the Heat are on, it's frightening. Put Poppovich or PJ in that chair and it almost wouldn't be fair.

But (always a but), the Heat aren't on a 10 game losing streak. Yes there are concerns, but even the (my) Lakers were counted out and over when they hit a similar bump in the road earlier in the season losing 4 in a row and flailing against the better teams.

xxcubs22xx
03-07-2011, 06:00 PM

This.

Seriously. The number of stupid threads made never ceases to amaze me.

To say that Phil would make the Heat better is absurd. If you have the worst bench in the NBA and the oldest roster in the NBA, I don't care if God himself is your coach, it's not going to make a difference.

magichatnumber9
03-07-2011, 06:02 PM
I think Doc Rivers would be the ideal coach for the Heatles

llemon
03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Ai Phil's current age, not sure

Denver-boy
03-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Heats gonna Trade Bosh/picks for Howard, sign Phil Jackson, Get Shaq back, and Sign abunch of Oldies that wanna get a Ring

Hawkeye15
03-07-2011, 06:11 PM
absolutely Phil Jackson would make the Heat better. This isn't a slight at Erik in the slightest btw. But Phil is the absolute master of managing big ego's, and big names, and getting them to produce.

LAOwnsAll15
03-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Thats assuming Phil gives up on that fine piece of *** he's hitting.
But really, unless and teaches LeBron how to shoot.. no

ChiSox219
03-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Why would Phil want to coach Miami? And what makes anyone think he'd command respect if Coach K and the USA staff struggled with Lebron?

Jewelz0376
03-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I don't see how anyone could not agree Phil would make them better...

The-Human-Cigar
03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I think Doc Rivers would be the ideal coach for the Heatles

I think Doc should stick with his "Celtic Trio" they leave you wanting more.... the "Heatles" just seem to keep leaving people wanting....

Albrecht Duerer
03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Why would Phil want to coach Miami? And what makes anyone think he'd command respect if Coach K and the USA staff struggled with Lebron?

Because Phil > Coach K

kingkenny01
03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
honestly phil would make them better but if this continues pat riley needs to get out of the office and coach

Chacarron
03-07-2011, 06:51 PM

My thoughts exactly. They don't have a post player.

Chitownhero14
03-07-2011, 06:52 PM
On some level i think its a vague possibility he goes to the heat...i mean he may want to replace Pat Riley again and win multiple championships. But we all know miami isnt going to win multiple championships if any for that matter.

As for Phil i dont think he comes back especially for the heat, and i dont think it'd be a difference, its no the coaches fault its the players. Maybe if you had 3 of the best players and then something else on your team, or if you had one of these so called best players be able to perform in the clutch?

JNA17
03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Because Phil > Coach K

This.

Seriously look at how Phil dealt with Rodman and now with Artest as small examples. You don't see Artest getting in fights anymore, now you seem him trying to get other players to avoid them :laugh:

Lake_Show2416
03-07-2011, 06:58 PM

ya agreed not the best pieces for the triangle, even tho I think of course if u have the best coach ur team should be better

fadedmario
03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
No - they need John Kuester

RaiderLakersA's
03-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Would Phil make the Heat better? Would Phil make the Heat better?!?

Riddle me this: PJ has always had a taskmaster on the floor during all of his succesful years. I'm not talking about a great talent, but a leader who had a strong will and an unmatched grasp of the game. These were the types of players that commanded respect and would get in another player's *** to get them on the same page. Jordan you know. Shaq you know. Kobe you know. To a lesser extent, Fisher you know.

You hear about sacrifice and compromise, but my question is which one of the Heat's Big 3 would be willing to give up their "nice guy" demeanor and be Phil's iron fist on the floor?

Sure, Phil would bring structure and probably more clearly define roles for anyone not named Bosh, James or Wade. But Phil is also wise enough to know that your top players have to figure it out for themselves. How they arrive at that understanding is the difference between winning and losing. And it's only after they have that understanding that they will be able to impart that same wisdom to their fellow teammates.

Would the Heat be better with Phil? Sure. But let's not pretend that Phil reduces the player's burden of leadership. On the contrary, he would expect that much more of the Heat's Big Three. If you think the Heat are having problems with their own expecations now, just add a coach like PJ to test their mettle. It might get too hot for even the Heat to withstand. :)

Supreme LA
03-07-2011, 08:54 PM
No, Phil could not make the Miami team any better. Only Lebron can make the Heat better by working on his game this offseason. It's not the coach, it's the personnel. I'm sure Phil didn't push Kobe or MJ to develop their games. They did that themselves.

Lebron is just too one-dimensional as a player and there is only so much a coach can do with that. You can't put a player in positions to score if they are only limited to pull up jumpers and bulldozing their way to the basket. Lebron needs to develop a low post game, work on his footwork, and work on the consistency of his shot. Once that happens, then we can start talking about Phil helping him. Until then, it's not the coaches fault.

CowboysKB24
03-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Question:

Would Phil Jackson make a difference if he is the coach of Miami Heat?

Phil is set to retired after this season. Will the brass of Heat's front office be able to convince him otherwise? Is he the right coach for the Heat?

Discuss

---

So you are asking if the greatest coach of all time, Phil Jackson, would make the Heat better than right with their coach being Eric Spoelstra?

Come on man... of course.

CowboysKB24
03-08-2011, 03:25 AM
No, Phil could not make the Miami team any better. Only Lebron can make the Heat better by working on his game this offseason. It's not the coach, it's the personnel. I'm sure Phil didn't push Kobe or MJ to develop their games. They did that themselves.

Lebron is just too one-dimensional as a player and there is only so much a coach can do with that. You can't put a player in positions to score if they are only limited to pull up jumpers and bulldozing their way to the basket. Lebron needs to develop a low post game, work on his footwork, and work on the consistency of his shot. Once that happens, then we can start talking about Phil helping him. Until then, it's not the coaches fault.

LBJ is far from one-dimensional. He can pass, rebound, block, and steal. If you are referring to his offensive game, he can drive to the hoop better than arguable anyone in the league. His perimeter shooting is good, but not great. He is the one of the best in transition on both offense and defense. He is an above average passer and causes double teams constantly. I can go on and on about this guys game. Where does one-dimensional fit into that?

I do agree that he could start working on and using a post game. He has the size. I agree that he needs to work on his shot as well, but it is decent.

Lakerhead4ever
03-08-2011, 03:36 AM
duh

Lakerhead4ever
03-08-2011, 03:37 AM
phil is the master of putting stars together and winning rings

PGLakers
03-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Phil would make them better.

But him going to Miami to coach has same probability as Heat winning the championship: 0.00000001%

KingPosey
03-08-2011, 03:39 AM

The reason i dont like all the posts coming out close to this, is because Wade loves Spo, and has always respected him.

KingPosey
03-08-2011, 03:40 AM
phil is the master of putting stars together and winning rings

no Phil is a master of being given the best talent in the league, and then winning.

shep33
03-08-2011, 04:27 AM
Phil would make them better, but not under the triangle offense. See I disagree with people saying that they'd fit in the triangle. If they're playing the triangle Lebron's stats would fall without question. People don't realize that MJ's stats dropped across the board when he began to master the triangle.

Dribbling around constantly with the ball in your hand is exactly what the triangle isn't. So Lebron and Wade would have to alter the way they play no question. Also one of Wade and Lebron would have to seriously improve their mid-range game.

I really don't think Lebron would like the triangle at all, and IMO statistically he'd take a big hit. People ever wonder why the triangle never incorporated a high level pg? It's because they don't fit in what the system is about. Ball movement is key, not dribbling around and playmaking.

Question... If they're running the triangle who is gonna get the ball in the post? Another thing, a lot of times what happens is when nothing is happening in the triangle, Mike and Kobe have given the Bulls and Lakers more bailout shots than any two guys in history. That's not what you want to do with Wade or Lebron, they're playmakers.