PDA

View Full Version : What teams don't want to face each other in the playoffs?

_KB24_
03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Basically the worst possible match-up. Chicago is giving the Heat nightmares, literally. The Spurs are not tall enough or defensively good enough to beat the Lakers in a series. Are the Mavs finally mentally tough enough to face the Spurs? The Lakers would love to avoid the Thunder and their quickness and athleticism. The Celtics I feel now would be a little worried of facing the Magic with out Perkins.

Discuss :cool:

unwantedplayer
03-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Only way the Celts would be really scared of Dwight if Shaq and JO are not healthy come playoffs time.

lakers4sho
03-06-2011, 08:15 PM
True contenders aren't [ shouldn't be ] afraid to face any team in the playoffs.

abe_froman
03-06-2011, 08:18 PM
not say its a certainty in winning easy....but i think we have a shot against anybody,dont fear anyone

_KB24_
03-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Only way the Celts would be really scared of Dwight if Shaq and JO are not healthy come playoffs time.

Really? It's probably the most injured-riddled/old center tandem in the league today. Dwight would run up on them even if they were healthy.

GoatMilk
03-06-2011, 08:20 PM
lakers arent afraid of the thunder, but they really really really would rather not play them

_KB24_
03-06-2011, 08:22 PM
True contenders aren't [ shouldn't be ] afraid to face any team in the playoffs.

Afraid is a strong word. I agree no team should be afraid, but extra cautions and weary may be better suited.

unwantedplayer
03-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Really? It's probably the most injured-riddled/old center tandem in the league today. Dwight would run up on them even if they were healthy.

True, but they are 2 big bodies meaning 12 extra fouls we can use on Dwight.

blastmasta26
03-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Knicks have no one, since Cavs aren't making the playoffs :p

Heat should fear the Bulls, Hawks should fear the Magic once again, Celtics and Bulls are good all around so nos team have big matchup advantages against them. I haven't been following the West that closely, but I agree Mavs-Spurs and Spurs-Lakers are not matchups either of the former teams want to see, although Spurs could beat LA in a series (but not easily).

JordansBulls
03-06-2011, 08:44 PM
I think Boston and Miami wants to avoid Chicago and Chicago may want to avoid Orlando or Atlanta.

DaBear
03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I don't think Chicago has any team they wouldn't want to face in the playoffs. Miami and Boston obviously since they are two of the better teams in the East besides the Bulls, but only for that reason. We're 0-2 against the Knicks, but I'd still rather play them over the C's, Heat, or Magic in the playoffs.

gotoHcarolina52
03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I think Boston and Miami wants to avoid Chicago and Chicago may want to avoid Orlando or Atlanta.

I think that's true. But Chicago would still want to avoid Boston and Miami. None of those teams--no matter regular season head-to-head--wants to face one another in the playoffs.

j-mart
03-06-2011, 09:10 PM
The Heat should fear all of the elite teams (i.e. Boston, Chicago, San Antonio, LAL, etc.) as they've shown throughout the season that they cannot beat them.

DaBear
03-06-2011, 09:18 PM
The Heat should fear all of the elite teams (i.e. Boston, Chicago, San Antonio, LAL, etc.) as they've shown throughout the season that they cannot beat them.

To Miami's credit, they've beaten LAL this season. That won't matter if they can't beat the C's or Bulls.

210Don
03-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Basically the worst possible match-up. Chicago is giving the Heat nightmares, literally. The Spurs are not tall enough or defensively good enough to beat the Lakers in a series. Are the Mavs finally mentally tough enough to face the Spurs? The Lakers would love to avoid the Thunder and their quickness and athleticism. The Celtics I feel now would be a little worried of facing the Magic with out Perkins.

Discuss :cool:

you do realize spurs are 2-1 in season series? i know it means nothing but thats all we got....... spurs aren't afraid of anbody

ManRam
03-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Boston before Perk left was the only team I really wouldn't want to face moreso than any other. I'm very thankful they made that move :nod: Now there isn't that one team. They all have equally good shots at beating us.

LA probably still can give us the most problems.

_KB24_
03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Boston before Perk left was the only team I really wouldn't want to face moreso than any other. I'm very thankful they made that move :nod: Now there isn't that one team. They all have equally good shots at beating us.

LA probably still can give us the most problems.

I think Miami is the team that would give you the most difficulty in a series. Their perimeter players hold the biggest advantage over your perimeter players than any other teams in the East.

_KB24_
03-06-2011, 09:32 PM
you do realize spurs are 2-1 in season series? i know it means nothing but thats all we got....... spurs aren't afraid of anbody

I know they're not afraid, but they would definitely not want to face LA in a series. The Lakers would almost be a consensus favorite going in to a series.

210Don
03-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I know they're not afraid, but they would definitely not want to face LA in a series. The Lakers would almost be a consensus favorite going in to a series.

you guys have a size advantage we have a speed advantage i dont think you wanna face us. i wouldnt count on bynum playing like that in a 7 game series every game or us playing that bad. tony parker should have huge games in every game, fisher cant stop tony so it goes both ways.

Flash3
03-06-2011, 09:50 PM

i would love to face Chicago bring it on !

knickfan33
03-06-2011, 09:51 PM
the heat should fear everyone... they can't beat winning teams

_KB24_
03-06-2011, 09:57 PM
you guys have a size advantage we have a speed advantage i dont think you wanna face us. i wouldnt count on bynum playing like that in a 7 game series every game or us playing that bad. tony parker should have huge games in every game, fisher cant stop tony so it goes both ways.

You can't resolve your size disadvantage, we can with speed. Like JVG said today, we were a step ahead of you in every facet of the game today. Duncan has averaged 4 POINTS AGAINST THE LAKERS this year!!! And the Parker scenario, Kobe will switch on him like he did with Westbrook if he truly starts to become a problem. Fisher will switch to Jefferson as he is a jumpshooter. And take a look at Bynum stats vs the Spurs over the past couple seasons and compare them to Duncan's. Bynum has held his own against him and has taken Duncan out of the game completely on atleast 4 occasions.

Don't by any means think I'm underestimating them. We all know Timmy D raises his play come playoff time. But I think it's safe to say that the Spurs are the one who would the ones weary of facing the Lakers, not the other way around.

Flash3
03-06-2011, 09:57 PM
the heat should fear everyone... they can't beat winning teams

:yawn:

BigBlueCrew
03-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Knicks vs Cavs

Oh thats right the cavs arent making the playoffs

ManRam
03-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I think Miami is the team that would give you the most difficulty in a series. Their perimeter players hold the biggest advantage over your perimeter players than any other teams in the East.

You're probably right. We're just so damn fickle that I really just have no idea who is the worst match up for us. It all depends on who shows up for us and who doesn't. We know Dwight will, but after that, it's always a mystery.

210Don
03-06-2011, 10:02 PM
You can't resolve your size disadvantage, we can with speed. Like JVG said today, we were a step ahead of you in every facet of the game today. Duncan has averaged 4 POINTS AGAINST THE LAKERS this year!!! And the Parker scenario, Kobe will switch on him like he did with Westbrook if he truly starts to become a problem. Fisher will switch to Jefferson as he is a jumpshooter. And take a look at Bynum stats vs the Spurs over the past couple seasons and compare them to Duncan's. Bynum has held his own against him and has taken Duncan out of the game completely on atleast 4 occasions.

Don't by any means think I'm underestimating them. We all know Timmy D raises his play come playoff time. But I think it's safe to say that the Spurs are the one who would the ones weary of facing the Lakers, not the other way around.

i think your incorrect.... we havent played you guys in the playoffs since 08 when your guys reign barely started and you lost that year, as far as the size advantage its not that big of a deal you guys out rebounded us by 6 today thats not bad. we do have enough size with dice & duncan and splitter but you guys cant make fisher 10 years younger, ours can easily be fixed remember rebounding is just effort something the spurs have much of, today was a anomaly your looking to much into it.

knickfan33
03-06-2011, 10:09 PM
:yawn:

really cause you know the heat are under 500 against winnign teams... and 1-11 agaisnt the top teams....

goose15
03-06-2011, 10:12 PM
as a Knicks fan, I want nothong to do with the Magic. Knicks have no one to handle Howard plus they got alot of shooters.

knickfan33
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
dwight is gonna get his no matter what... dont fear that team... thats all they have is dwight..the way the knicks have played defence the last couple games they can matchup with anyone right now...

_KB24_
i think your incorrect.... we havent played you guys in the playoffs since 08 when your guys reign barely started and you lost that year, as far as the size advantage its not that big of a deal you guys out rebounded us by 6 today thats not bad. we do have enough size with dice & duncan and splitter but you guys cant make fisher 10 years younger, ours can easily be fixed remember rebounding is just effort something the spurs have much of, today was a anomaly your looking to much into it.

Size advantage not big!????? Name a team in the past decade that won a ring that didn't have the front court advantage. I'm waiting :rolleyes:

The Parker issue like I said is easier to solve than your woes. Look at the Finals last year, Kobe switched on Rondo and Fisher took Allen. I think its a given that Allen > Jefferson, so if Fish stood by him, you don't think he can man up on Jefferson?

I'm not looking into one game. I'm looking at the bigger picture. The Lakers have lost to the Spurs only ONCE in the playoffs head-to-head in the past decade. These two teams know each others strengths and weaknesses better than any other two teams. I'll leave it at that.

knickfan33
except th cavs

_KB24_
03-06-2011, 10:17 PM
You're probably right. We're just so damn fickle that I really just have no idea who is the worst match up for us. It all depends on who shows up for us and who doesn't. We know Dwight will, but after that, it's always a mystery.

Live by the 3, die by the 3. Lets hope you take out Boston so it helps the West out a little :)

210Don
03-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Size advantage not big!????? Name a team in the past decade that won a ring that didn't have the front court advantage. I'm waiting :rolleyes:

The Parker issue like I said is easier to solve than your woes. Look at the Finals last year, Kobe switched on Rondo and Fisher took Allen. I think its a given that Allen > Jefferson, so if Fish stood by him, you don't think he can man up on Jefferson?

I'm not looking into one game. I'm looking at the bigger picture. The Lakers have lost to the Spurs only ONCE in the playoffs head-to-head in the past decade. These two teams know each others strengths and weaknesses better than any other two teams. I'll leave it at that.

let me tell you one thing.... dont underestimate tim duncan....
oh and please put fisher on RJ or manu! lmao

ManRam
03-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Live by the 3, die by the 3. Lets hope you take out Boston so it helps the West out a little :)

I used to hate that phrase, but this year, it is true. I don't think it was the last few. I do think it is a cop out to our defense though: it's still top 3-5 in the league, and that phrase kind of just ignores it. We've won games where we've shot terribly because of our defense.

Jameer is the only guy who can penetrate it seems like. Well, that's not true...I know J-Rich and Hedo can, they just for whatever reason choose not to.

Slimsim
03-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I feel sorry for any of the top teams that have to see philly in the first round

Flash3
03-06-2011, 10:34 PM
dwight is gonna get his no matter what... dont fear that team... thats all they have is dwight..the way the knicks have played defence the last couple games they can matchup with anyone right now...

really ? cause i vaguely remember jameer nelson whooping that ***.

knickfan33
03-06-2011, 10:36 PM
yeah but how many times will he go off in a seven game series..once twice maybe?....... that was more bad coaching then anything else, mike d should have put tony douglas in the minute it was clear chauncey couldnt keep up with him

Chi StateOfMind
03-06-2011, 10:38 PM
heat fear elite teams
bulls fear orlando maybe atlanta
celtics fear bulls
orlando fear miami

spurs fear lakers vice versa
mavericks fear playoffs series
thunder fear lakers vice versa

210Don
03-06-2011, 10:43 PM
heat fear elite teams
bulls fear orlando maybe atlanta
celtics fear bulls
orlando fear miami

spurs fear lakers vice versa
mavericks fear playoffs series
thunder fear lakers vice versa

:laugh:

JB0B0
03-06-2011, 11:10 PM
I feel sorry for any of the top teams that have to see philly in the first round

? Boston, Miami, or Chicago would beat Philly rather handily in the 1st round.

Honestly though, Miami, Boston, and Chicago should all worry each other. I don't think anyone would be surprised if either of these teams came out of the east. It will be an interesting postseason :)

Tarheels23
03-06-2011, 11:38 PM

I dont think Boston needs to avoid anyone.

Miami should want to avoid Chicago, Boston, NY and Orlando.

Orlando should want to avoid Bos and Chi

Chi should want to avoid the Knicks and Celtics

The Senator
03-06-2011, 11:58 PM
A bit of a Bulls-centric look here:

Orlando-I actually don't think the Bulls should fear the Magic. They have the size and depth to give Howard trouble, and Omer Asik plays phenomenal defense on him. The rest of the team can't carry them through a series, even if they do have some great players.(and I'd love to plug J-Rich into the Bulls lineup)

New York-That said, the Knicks have given us tons of trouble in both of those games this year, and just seem to have the Bulls number. Not sure how they'd matchup now with Melo York, but I'd still be wary of that matchup.

Atlanta-The Hawks are also troubling, I think that Al Horford might be the most underrated player in the league, and a healthy Josh Smith scares me. They have the shooting to space things out, the athleticism to run the transition and an elite center to create trouble down low. Not a team I want to see right off the bat.

Boston-The Celts don't trouble me as much minus Perkins, but they'll still be a very difficult team to defeat, one that should never be counted out.

Miami-Can the Heat turn it up and blast through people in the playoffs? Sure. That said, I don't think they're built for the playoffs. Could be proven wrong here, but they've shown nothing in the regular season that says that they're ready for a title.

IversonIsKrazy
03-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Spurs n LA don't really have to avoid any1. Dallas knows they will eventually lose to either LA/SAS. In the east: miami needs to avoid every good team, magic needs to avoid bos/chi. bulls need to avoid hawks (0-3 this season i think)

totheights
03-07-2011, 12:25 AM

Nope. I want Chicago bad and I'm sure the Celtics themselves do too.

I can tell you for damn sure the Celtics don't fear anyone.

totheights
03-07-2011, 12:28 AM

And? Dwight can score 50 if he wants, but the Magic aren't going to beat the Celtics if the rest of their team can't score.

Public Enemy #1
03-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Heat should be wary of the Celtics/Bulls. They have proven they can beat the Magic, Lakers, Hawks, Knicks.

Bulls should be worrying about the Knicks/Celtics.

Celtics should be worried about the Lakers/Bulls.

Nobody should fear the Hawks in all honesty, they haven't changed or improved over the course of the last 2-3 years and will be a second round exit, maybe first if they end up 5th seed.

Spurs know what's waiting for them in the playoffs.... Lakers. Size advantage will play a huge part if they meet, Spurs own the season series right now but playoffs are different and who knows how much The Big Fundamental has left in the tank.

Mavericks always seems to be the team that is built for the regular season and then lets down in the playoffs. I'm not sure they can handle the Spurs/Lakers in a 7 game series.

Lakers when motivated are the best team in the NBA, as much as I hate saying it. Spurs/Mavericks can give them trouble but is it enough to offset a Finals appearance? People are saying the Thunder are going to give them trouble? Maybe a little, but nothing significant to knock the Lakers out of the playoffs.

Thunder are overrated and aren't ready for the WCF. Won't be able to handle Lakers/Mavs/Spurs.

flclfanman
03-07-2011, 01:03 AM

Shaq+Malone>Ben Wallace and Sheed

amirite? :shrug:

Hustlenomics
03-07-2011, 01:10 AM
i would love to face chicago bring it on !

nope. I want chicago bad and i'm sure the celtics themselves do too.

I can tell you for damn sure the celtics don't fear anyone.

+ 1

DaBear
03-07-2011, 01:11 AM

We'd be happy to sweep you again.

marlinsfan24
03-07-2011, 01:13 AM
There's no team I wouldn't want to not face in the playoffs. The saying is, in order to be the best, you have to beat the best. I'd love for the Heat to have a chance to beat the Bulls and Celtics.

JordansBulls
03-07-2011, 03:56 PM

2006 and 2007 series all over again. I only want to play Miami if we have HCA though.

VANEXEL9
03-07-2011, 04:06 PM

you really think jo'neal at this stage can be a factor even on the def. end?

totheights
03-07-2011, 04:35 PM
you really think jo'neal at this stage can be a factor even on the def. end?

If remotely healthy...Absolutely. Why wouldn't he be able to?