PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't the Hornets use Marcus Thornton better?

Sportfan
03-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Marcus Thornton had a very strong rookie season, almost 15 points in just 25 minutes. You'd think that this year, the Hornets would have him start, and give him at least 30 minutes. He's a great scorer who can shoot, he could have been the outside scorer Paul always wanted. Yet, he ended up becoming a backup to Marco Belinelli, and then later on became 3rd string SG behind Green and Belenelli. All of a sudden, he gets traded to the Kings for Carl Landry.

Since the trade he's been very impressive coming off the bench (other than the Utah game) scoring over 22 points per game. He's been big for Sacramento especially with Tyreke out.

Why couldn't Monty and the Hornets use him like Sacramento is? Or even like how Byron Scott gave him lots of minutes off the bench last year. He's clearly capable of putting points on the board and the Hornets score the 4th least points per game. The Landry trade was pretty bad for NO imo, especially since Thornton is an RFA so they've got a good chance to keep him.

Also, what will be Thornton's role when Reke comes back? Bench Thornton and start Reke at the 2, or maybe try a Evans/Thornton backcourt, with Evans at PG.

bovice163
03-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Defense.

tredigs
03-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Defense.

Ding!

I picked up Marcus Thorton in fantasy late last year and consequently ended up watching a lot of Hornets games (mostly 'cause I'm addicted to basketball like a crack fiend, but also because I was curious about the kid). His D lacks, hard. He's a confident shooter and a fairly pure scorer, but more than just his defense, his all around game leaves a lot to be desired.

I like 'em - and the Thorton's and Nick Young's of this league have a place, but it's not a starting role on a team that wants to compete with the best.

Swashcuff
03-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Monty Williams basically adopted the Larry Brown philosophy in regards to Marcus Thornton

Heediot
03-06-2011, 01:41 PM
His play does not fit the system. The system is predicated upon defense, and ball movement.

GeekInThePink
03-06-2011, 01:53 PM
He didn't fit in New Orleans, he's a 20 point scorer with suspect defense on most teams with the right amount of touches.

nolafan33
03-06-2011, 01:58 PM
He didn't fit in Monty's system. Monty wanted players that would play within the offense and play good defense. I love Marcus (LSU fan), but he did neither. He's a street ball player, alot of his points come from broken plays and such. His defense is a liability also.

Chris Paul said at the beginning of the year regarding Marcus, it's easy to score points on a bad team.

DerekRE_3
03-06-2011, 02:06 PM
He's young, his defense can get better. He's pretty well put together and quick enough to be at least solid if he wants to be. When/if Reke comes back this year, it will probably be Beno/Reke with Thornton still getting a lot of minutes off the bench as a 6th man. He'd be the high usage/#1 option when he comes in with the bench unit. I see them going small a lot with Reke at the 3. He's strong and long enough to keep up with most 3's in the NBA.

Swashcuff
03-06-2011, 02:14 PM
He's young, his defense can get better. He's pretty well put together and quick enough to be at least solid if he wants to be. When/if Reke comes back this year, it will probably be Beno/Reke with Thornton still getting a lot of minutes off the bench as a 6th man. He'd be the high usage/#1 option when he comes in with the bench unit. I see them going small a lot with Reke at the 3. He's strong and long enough to keep up with most 3's in the NBA.

Did you read the thread title?

What does any of this have to do with the fact that the Hornets gave him limited playing time?

HaX
03-06-2011, 02:16 PM
De Fence.

DerekRE_3
03-06-2011, 02:20 PM

What does any of this have to do with the fact that the Hornets gave him limited playing time?

Yeah I read the title. I don't care why the Hornets didn't use him and it already got answered. Defense. I guess I should have just repeated what everyone else said, I'm sorry. Someone also asked what role he would have when Reke comes back, I answered it.

Sportfan
03-06-2011, 03:27 PM

Maybe you should read the last sentence of my post