PDA

View Full Version : How did Phil Jackson "tame" Michael Jordan?

IDB Josh M
03-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I was reading T&R on si.com, and it was talking about how Eric Spoelstra was once again in the hot seat. Most of the comments discussed how LBJ isn't mature, he's selfish, blah blah blah. And other comments talked about how the only coaches that can deal with LBJ and Wade's "ego" was bringing in a proven coach that can settle and manage their egos; citing examples such as Doc Rivers, Jerry Sloan, Pat Riley and Phil Jackson. But, even the best coaches (included Red Auerbach) had to start somewhere. They were, at a time, unproven coaches who had yet to win their first title. Jerry Sloan is someone who had never even won a title as a head coach.

Of course, this discussion doesn't just deal with LBJ, but it can also include those stars who have inflated egos. There was a rumor that Shaq sewed discord in Cleveland last year by calling out Mike Brown "He never won championship but I have 4" or whatever Shaq said.

So how did Phil Jackson settle Michael Jordan so that Jordan would become the GOAT. How did all those "proven" coaches become proven? I was not a fan of basketball during the 90's but I'm fairly certain Jordan wasn't demanding the Bulls to hire Pat Riley (showtime lakers) or Chuck Daly (Bad Boy pistons).

Allstar21
03-05-2011, 08:15 PM
lots of blow jobs

Chacarron
03-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Lighting up "candles" during halftimes and practices.

Doogolas
03-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Pretty sure MJ just wasn't a ***** and had a far stronger desire to win. Sure, MJ was a raging *******, but he didn't look like a terrified girl shooting last second shots.

abe_froman
03-05-2011, 08:26 PM
I was reading T&R on si.com, and it was talking about how Eric Spoelstra was once again in the hot seat. Most of the comments discussed how LBJ isn't mature, he's selfish, blah blah blah. And other comments talked about how the only coaches that can deal with LBJ and Wade's "ego" was bringing in a proven coach that can settle and manage their egos; citing examples such as Doc Rivers, Jerry Sloan, Pat Riley and Phil Jackson. But, even the best coaches (included Red Auerbach) had to start somewhere. They were, at a time, unproven coaches who had yet to win their first title. Jerry Sloan is someone who had never even won a title as a head coach.

Of course, this discussion doesn't just deal with LBJ, but it can also include those stars who have inflated egos. There was a rumor that Shaq sewed discord in Cleveland last year by calling out Mike Brown "He never won championship but I have 4" or whatever Shaq said.

So how did Phil Jackson settle Michael Jordan so that Jordan would become the GOAT. How did all those "proven" coaches become proven? I was not a fan of basketball during the 90's but I'm fairly certain Jordan wasn't demanding the Bulls to hire Pat Riley (showtime lakers) or Chuck Daly (Bad Boy pistons).
phil got mj to trust his teammates,to see them as quality players and not that it was a lack of desire that kept them from not being as great as him.

phil was an assistant under collins so they already had a working relationship with each other before phil became the hc

Albrecht Duerer
03-05-2011, 08:31 PM
He didn't tame Jordan. Phil wasnt the as$kicker on the team. That was Jordan. Jordan's willingness to be the as$kicker is what allowed Phil to do his Zen stuff. Someone needed to be the a$$kicker.

And since Jordan endorsed Phil, Phil has been validated to every player since Jordan played for Phil. If Phil was good enough for Michael Jordan, who is anyone to criticize him? I think Phil has respect because of Jordans endorsement and also because Phil is a quality coach that has done a lot on his own post-Jordan even though Jordan's endorsement has followed Phil.

JNA17
03-05-2011, 08:31 PM
How many rings did MJ win before Phil showed up?

Confusious
03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
He didn't tame Jordan. Phil wasnt the as$kicker on the team. That was Jordan. Jordan's willingness to be the as$kicker is what allowed Phil to do his Zen stuff. Someone needed to be the a$$kicker.

And since Jordan endorsed Phil, Phil has been validated to every player since Jordan played for Phil. If Phil was good enough for Michael Jordan, who is anyone to criticize him? I think Phil has respect because of Jordans endorsement and also because Phil is a quality coach that has done a lot on his own post-Jordan even though Jordan's endorsement has followed Phil.
Ding ding, winner.

Albrecht Duerer
03-05-2011, 08:36 PM
phil got mj to trust his teammates,to see them as quality players and not that it was a lack of desire that kept them from not being as great as him.

phil was an assistant under collins so they already had a working relationship with each other before phil became the hc

Not really. The younger players who had to figure it out against teams like the Pistons, finally were able to hold their own, which is what allowed Jordan to trust them. The first couple of times they played the Pistons, a lot of guys were shell shocked from the good style of play. When the Bulls finally swept the Pistons, you could really see it in how the Bulls rotated the ball. It was like the Bulls knew what the Pistons were going to do and were way ahead of the Pistons in rotating the ball.

Ty Fast
03-05-2011, 08:39 PM
mj was the man, but phil was in charge. the same can be said in miami about spo

Albrecht Duerer
03-05-2011, 08:41 PM
How many rings did MJ win before Phil showed up?

People don't realize that Scottie Pippen wasn't Scottie Pippen yet at the end of Collins' and beginning of Jackson's time. The truth is, the Bulls, aside from Jordan, had a collection of young talent that needed to mature. It would be hard to make the case that Collins is/was a better coach than Phil, but its also not outrageous to say that the Bulls could have won a championship if Collins would have been around when the young players came into their own.

Jemikz9Clutch
03-05-2011, 09:05 PM

this. phil taught mj that he can't do it all alone and he needs his teammates in order to achieve success. he showed mj the importance of teamwork.

Albrecht Duerer
03-05-2011, 09:09 PM
this. phil taught mj that he can't do it all alone and he needs his teammates in order to achieve success. he showed mj the importance of teamwork.

And the myth continues.

BullySixChicago
03-05-2011, 09:24 PM

You made some valid points until that cluck statement about Phil settling MJ so that MJ could become what he became. The only thing phil did was bring in an offense that allow for others to play a part in the Bulls winning what he did to make MJ the player he was not a damn thing. MJ's success as player was established way before phil tool over. MJ had nothing to do with Phil becoming the coach that was Reinsdorf's decision and a great one at that. But making MJ a great player MJ alone recieves credit for that, not phil jackson or any other coach