PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy, Morey call out McGrady

fadedmario
03-05-2011, 12:27 AM
At the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference on Friday, there was a panel moderated by Malcolm Gladwell that focused on his 10,000 hours theory.

The panel featured Jeff Van Gundy and Daryl Morey and they talked about the concept of 'natural talent' and the need to still cultivate it with practice.

“Tracy McGrady was 1,000 hours of practice,” Van Gundy said to laughter from the audience. “He should be a Hall of Fame player. His talent was other-worldly. He was given a great leg up in the race against other players. He’s as close as I’ve ever seen to someone with a perfect body and a good mind.”

“McGrady was the most gifted player I’ve ever had on the roster," said Morey. "I do think [his talent] got in the way of Tracy’s development. Much of the game was so, so easy — and you see this in the AAU level, where they have freakishly talented players. When it’s that easy to dominate at that young age, because of your physical tools — his wing span was freakish, his size was enormous, his IQ. But my sense was that all of that did get in the way of Tracy reaching his highest heights.”

Poor T-Mac. But it wasn’t over, yet. Van Gundy came back to McGrady later: “I like a lot of things about Tracy McGrady. I just wish I could have changed his practice habits and his mentality.”

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/03/04/van-gundy-morey-rail-against-mcgrady/

Gators123
03-05-2011, 12:34 AM
He mentioned it a couple times on twitter today...

TheReal_TMAC
i made the game look easy...u cant make it 14 yrs and not train hard tho RT @Oh_Smiggity Why Jeff van Gundy takingshots at u? @TheReal_TMAC

bcc
03-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Not a single thing they said was inacuate,

TheBatchelor213
03-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Well look where hes at now....on a mess of a franchise in Detroit, pretty indicative of the guys life in the NBA

shep33
03-05-2011, 12:44 AM
You think Miami would've learned that Bonner was a decent 3 point shooter... he is only the league's best, so lets leave him wide open

shep33
03-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Okay, one thing Miami should change is to put Wade on the opposing team's pg if they're good. We saw today that Bibby, House, Chalmers don't stand a chance in staying infront of Parker.

John Walls Era
03-05-2011, 12:47 AM
You think Miami would've learned that Bonner was a decent 3 point shooter... he is only the league's best, so lets leave him wide open

Wrong thread...

Htownballa1622
03-05-2011, 12:47 AM
I'll be the first to tell you that tmac has definitely left a bad impression on teams (tor,orl, houston) but I also would like to say. When healthy- t mac was arguably a top 5 player and arguably top 2 talent.with that being said...our f.o.here in houston didn't do a good job of surrounding him with good players.
We had bob sura/rafer, juwan howard, dikembe, and other bench payers with him.

Only problem is it seemed like he would give up at times or just not care because of injury.
I wish t mac never got injured but he definitely has been one of the most enjoyable players I've ever seen....i mean 13 pts in 35 seconds was nice.

John Walls Era
03-05-2011, 12:48 AM
What they said was 100% correct. This applies to a lot of things in life. Being gifted leads to laziness sometimes. Tmac and Vince in their prime could score 25 points easily, so they "need" to elevate their game. They didn't have drive.

shep33
03-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Wrong thread...

haha my bad my bad.

shep33
03-05-2011, 12:52 AM
What they said was 100% correct. This applies to a lot of things in life. Being gifted leads to laziness sometimes. Tmac and Vince in their prime could score 25 points easily, so they "need" to elevate their game. They didn't have drive.

I agree (right thread this time lol). There is a reason why Kobe is what he is today, and these guys are what they are today. Just about practice, and preparing yourself against injury as well. IMO, yeah Tmac and Carter had the ability, they're bodies are better than Kobe's even.

The BodyGuard °
03-05-2011, 12:56 AM
I would of like if Mcgrady was to go to a contender but he end up with Detroit :no:

_KB24_
03-05-2011, 01:07 AM
I don't agree with Van Gundy. McGrady has a point when saying he could never have gotten that good without putting in a lot of time. I do however slightly agree with the mental capacity point. I never thought of McGrady as a clear cut leader and him to possess a killer instinct. A great, great player though at his peak.

shep33
03-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Kobe-1083 regular season games-- 198 playoff games
Vince-904 regular season games --- 56 playoff games
Tmac-873 regular season games--- 38 playoff games

Ray Allen and Tim Duncan same deal with Kobe... these guys know how to work on their game and bodies to prolong their careers.

fadedmario
03-05-2011, 01:10 AM
He mentioned it a couple times on twitter today...

Good find bro. Looks like T-Mac took it to heart.

eggy111
03-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Hopefully next year he plays for a contender cause he still has some of it in him and maybe he didn't truly put his all but he if didn't he was still amazing.

I think also the talent he was surrounded by impacted his desire but still he came up when it mattered idc if he hasn't won a playoff series he's still 5th all time ppg avg in the playoffs.Go look at his teams and they make lbj supporting cast back in cle look like the lakers.

TEAM FAT BOYS
03-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Well look where hes at now....on a mess of a franchise in Detroit, pretty indicative of the guys life in the NBA

the funnyest thing is weve beat the majic this year and many of times last year, and in 08-09 season we swept them! lmfao and to be honest the mess is just about cleared up now that rip has been playing more now.... :eyebrow:
love it how people can blow **** up soo easily :facepalm:

p.s **** van gundy hes the rex ryan of the NBA, worhless, dont know when to stfu, and is like peter griffin

John Walls Era
03-05-2011, 01:27 AM
the funnyest thing is weve beat the majic this year and many of times last year, and in 08-09 season we swept them! lmfao and to be honest the mess is just about cleared up now that rip has been playing more now.... :eyebrow:
love it how people can blow **** up soo easily :facepalm:

p.s **** van gundy hes the rex ryan of the NBA, worhless, dont know when to stfu, and is like peter griffin

Jeff Van Gundy....

Also why are you upset? The other guys post was correct, the Pistons are currently a mess.

Lim
03-05-2011, 03:28 AM
work ethic > talent

CityofChaos
03-05-2011, 04:28 AM
work ethic > talent

+1

Which is why I love hearing about players that actually study the game and work hard in the gym to get better at every aspect of it...

Practice makes perfect--simple as that...yes A.I "we talkin about practice"

BigCityofDreams
03-05-2011, 11:15 AM
I don't agree with Van Gundy. McGrady has a point when saying he could never have gotten that good without putting in a lot of time. I do however slightly agree with the mental capacity point. I never thought of McGrady as a clear cut leader and him to possess a killer instinct. A great, great player though at his peak.

Oh yea I'm sure he put in work but did him push himself to the brink like all the greats do. I might be mistaken but I think he came out yrs ago and said in the off season he takes it easy when it comes to working out while other guys are in the gym.

HouRealCoach
03-05-2011, 06:28 PM
The difference with Kobe and T-Mac is injuries... Kobe never went thru them exept for one year I think

FOBolous
03-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Even Michael Jordan practiced...he practiced a lot too

JordansBulls
03-05-2011, 07:39 PM
At the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference on Friday, there was a panel moderated by Malcolm Gladwell that focused on his 10,000 hours theory.

The panel featured Jeff Van Gundy and Daryl Morey and they talked about the concept of 'natural talent' and the need to still cultivate it with practice.

“Tracy McGrady was 1,000 hours of practice,” Van Gundy said to laughter from the audience. “He should be a Hall of Fame player. His talent was other-worldly. He was given a great leg up in the race against other players. He’s as close as I’ve ever seen to someone with a perfect body and a good mind.”

“McGrady was the most gifted player I’ve ever had on the roster," said Morey. "I do think [his talent] got in the way of Tracy’s development. Much of the game was so, so easy — and you see this in the AAU level, where they have freakishly talented players. When it’s that easy to dominate at that young age, because of your physical tools — his wing span was freakish, his size was enormous, his IQ. But my sense was that all of that did get in the way of Tracy reaching his highest heights.”

Poor T-Mac. But it wasn’t over, yet. Van Gundy came back to McGrady later: “I like a lot of things about Tracy McGrady. I just wish I could have changed his practice habits and his mentality.”

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/03/04/van-gundy-morey-rail-against-mcgrady/

Figured JVG would eventually say something about Mcgrady and now he is as it is a perfect time for him to do so.

John Walls Era
03-05-2011, 07:40 PM
The difference with Kobe and T-Mac is injuries... Kobe never went thru them exept for one year I think

and because Kobe has drive. Kobe puts up hours of practice everyday (from what the media has said).

Chronz
03-05-2011, 07:42 PM
I doubt tmac has any control over his genetics which is what prevented a HOF career. JVG loves tmac tho, he thought tmac could average 20 on one leg in his sleep, he gos too far sometimes. You don't win most improved, possess a high basketball iq with out working on your game. I'm sure he couldve done more with his talent but then again so could larry bird and shaq. This isn't what matters