PDA

View Full Version : HOLY CRAP Rondo has a jumpshot...

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 01:54 PM
http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=%&type=pg&posi=PG&yr=2011&gp=40&mins=30

Rondo has shot the ball better from 16-23 than Manu, Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson and Kobe Bryant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp_kOh1MwEA&feature=channel_video_title

Hustlenomics
03-04-2011, 01:57 PM
If people Watched the games they would see his jumpshot improved. It's decent at best he just needs to be more confident

Mr Moody
03-04-2011, 02:01 PM
It doesnt matter what the numbers say, he still doesnt trust it and therefore its unreliable in the crunch time.

Hawkeye15
03-04-2011, 02:02 PM
its improved, but he still rarely sees teams contest his outside shot. I still wouldn't consider him a good shooter.

Chronz
03-04-2011, 02:03 PM
lol so your going to ignore the god awful % elsewhere and claim he has a jumper?

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:03 PM
It doesnt matter what the numbers say, he still doesnt trust it and therefore its unreliable in the crunch time.

Did you check the video? He put the dagger in Utah about five times...

210Don
03-04-2011, 02:04 PM
nah
and manu only shoots 3s only

ElMarroAfamado
03-04-2011, 02:05 PM
so thats why there is like 4 feet between him and his defender....and he just wanders around aimlessly until he can find a teammate....he only takes a shot when like 3 seconds or less on the shot clock like Lebrick..

Tony_Starks
03-04-2011, 02:07 PM
its improved, but he still rarely sees teams contest his outside shot. I still wouldn't consider him a good shooter.

This. What the stats don't tell you is people back off of him 10 feet and basically dare him to take the jumper. I don't think they do that to Kobe, JJ and the like.....

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:08 PM
so thats why there is like 4 feet between him and his defender....and he just wanders around aimlessly until he can find a teammate....he only takes a shot when like 3 seconds or less on the shot clock like Lebrick..

Now he is getting hated for making shots? That don't work no more, the Lakers should of lost both games this season.

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:10 PM
This. What the stats don't tell you is people back off of him 10 feet and basically dare him to take the jumper. I don't think they do that to Kobe, JJ and the like.....

LMAO at these clowns... He is making them pay and you fools are still hating.

allSUAVE
03-04-2011, 02:14 PM
If he could hit that jumpshot on a constant basis ..hands down the best point guard in the LEAGUE" even tho he already is

Tony_Starks
03-04-2011, 02:16 PM

How am I hating? They LITERALLY do this. You must not be a Celtic fan because you would know what Im talking about..... BTW do you watch him shoot FT's? His mechanics are no good. Ask his FT percentage....

Never mind man, yeah he has a jump shot now, its really impressive! Hitting J's with a hand in his face all over court. The new John Stockton!!

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:18 PM
If he could hit that jumpshot on a constant basis ..hands down the best point guard in the LEAGUE" even tho he already is

He does, these individuals don't watch Celtics games. Rondo is Jason Kidd on Steroids.

11-12-5-2

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:20 PM
How am I hating? They LITERALLY do this. You must not be a Celtic fan because you would know what Im talking about..... BTW do you watch him shoot FT's? His mechanics are no good. Ask his FT percentage....

Never mind man, yeah he has a jump shot now, its really impressive! Hitting J's with a hand in his face all over court. The new John Stockton!!

My point is that ish don't work as his shot improved.

Hawkeye15
03-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Look at his percentages from 3-9 feet, and 10-15. They are putrid. And he has hit 10 three's all year.

He is not a good shooter. Get over it. Is he improved? To some degree, yes. But there was nowhere to go but up.

TheWatcher34
03-04-2011, 02:22 PM
no he hasn't. never. and Rose is better than Rondo.

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:24 PM

Who mentioned Rose? 20 plus shot attempts a game? Don't let the facts lie.

ManRam
03-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Certainly better, and I do remember him hitting a lot more this year...

A lot of it probably has to do with the fact that none of them, or at least very few of them, are contested. Defenses still are going to give him that shot all day.

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Look at his percentages from 3-9 feet, and 10-15. They are putrid. And he has hit 10 three's all year.

He is not a good shooter. Get over it. Is he improved? To some degree, yes. But there was nowhere to go but up.

Rondo at the rim finishes at a near 70% clip. And lol at mentioning 3-9 feet as if he is posting up on the block.

J-Relo
03-04-2011, 02:30 PM
he is not a good shooter.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
03-04-2011, 02:31 PM
improved? absolutely.

i wouldnt count on him hittin a J in the clutch by any means tho

hes had a jumper, but seeing his defender back off 10 ft must mess with his mind and he loses all confidence, over analizes and misses the shot... and its been like clockwork

Hawkeye15
Rondo at the rim finishes at a near 70% clip. And lol at mentioning 3-9 feet as if he is posting up on the block.

did you seriously just lol something you started a thread with? Dude, you start a thread with an obscure statistic, while obviously not checking the other ranges, and neglecting the fact that Rondo is rarely contested outside of 12 feet. What kind of responses do you expect?

Rondo is a good layup shooter. I will give you that. Amazing that an NBA player does that

Ecko72jc
he is not a good shooter.

Get out the past.....

Me and Mr. T
03-04-2011, 02:33 PM

This is the funniest thing I've read in a LONG time! Rondo the best in the league? :facepalm:

He does, these individuals don't watch Celtics games. Rondo is Jason Kidd on Steroids.

11-12-5-2

Apparently you never watched Jason Kidd in his prime. He'd eat Rondo for breakfast. End of story!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-04-2011, 02:34 PM
lmao this is the worst thread of this year.

If you watch Celtics games you see that teams let him shoot long J's.
Defenders give him miles of space to beg him to shoot.

Have you ever seen Kobe or Manu or other great shooter shoot an open jumper inside the arc? Rarely I believe.

Ecko72jc
did you seriously just lol something you started a thread with?

Rondo is a good layup shooter. I will give you that. Amazing that an NBA player does that

He is the best finisher at the rim for any PG which compensates. 3-9 feet is post position.

Rivera
if people watched rondo play...he improved his mid range jumper

and to the people that say rondo has no confidence in taken a jumper is just ignoring the fact he is an improving shooter and the fact that he doesnt need to shoot all the time to have "confidence" in his shot

if you watch rondo play at all you would realize rondo is one of the most cocky and confident players on the court...he walks around and stalks players like he is the man and no one can stop him if he really tried

if thats not confidence then what is??

he doesnt have to start jacking up mid range shots to tell you he has improved his J or he has confidence cause rondo's game is about maximizing every possession and getting the ball to the right person and being a true point guard...but when the time comes (he did it to orlando in the playoffs last year and to the heat this season and to utah a few days ago) when he has to go off and shoot to energize his team and get his team going rondo can

PAOboston
03-04-2011, 02:35 PM
from someone who watches rondo pretty much every game, i can tell you that his jumpshot has improved drastically from the past few years this year. that being said i still think he doesnt feel 100% comfortable with it. doc rivers has come out before and said that he can hit that shot (and does so in practice) consistently but but feels rondo sometimes just isnt aggressive/confident enough to just take the shot. personally, i think he should shoot more. he can hit it. it's just a matter of him being comfortable taking it.

ditto for his free throw shooting. it's improved over the last month or so b/c it's coincided with rondo being more aggressive going to the hoop. he's taken way more ft's over the past month or so than he had for the first couple of the season where his ft% was something like an abysmal 38%. now it's up to 55% or so if i remember correctly. obviously not great but an improvement. also the fact that he has abnormally large hands probably doesnt help either.

i think rondo will progress to shoot better over the next few years. it kinda reminds me of tony parker who really didnt have a shot either coming into the league but now has a semi reliable jumper. if rondo could ever raise his ft % into the 70-75% range, he would be a force to reckon with on the court.

Hawkeye15
03-04-2011, 02:35 PM
here is a simple question to the OP.

Who would you rather leave open from 19? Rajon Rondo, or Joe Johnson?

Hawkeye15
03-04-2011, 02:36 PM
He is the best finisher at the rim for any PG which compensates. 3-9 feet is post position.

Beno and Nash are higher at the rim.

Still don't get the point of this thread. Rondo hits around 40% from 16-23, on completely uncontested jumpers. How does this make him a good shooter?

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:38 PM
This is the funniest thing I've read in a LONG time! Rondo the best in the league? :facepalm:

Apparently you never watched Jason Kidd in his prime. He'd eat Rondo for breakfast. End of story!

That is the only way Kidd would have an upper hand by resorting to canabilism.

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Beno and Nash are higher at the rim.

Still don't get the point of this thread. Rondo hits around 40% from 16-23, on completely uncontested jumpers. How does this make him a good shooter?

Nobody plays the glass like Rondo.

Because he hits his shots.

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:42 PM
here is a simple question to the OP.

Who would you rather leave open from 19? Rajon Rondo, or Joe Johnson?

Neither .....

210Don
03-04-2011, 02:43 PM
lol @ this guy

CowboysKB24
03-04-2011, 02:44 PM
It has improved, but every team gives him the jumper.

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:45 PM
It has improved, but every team gives him the jumper.

And their stupid for doing it.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Neither .....

:confused:

J-Relo
03-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Get out the past.....

the improvement he has made didn't make him a good shooter...

Ecko72jc
03-04-2011, 02:48 PM
:confused:

Both should have tight coverage.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Both should have tight coverage.

then rondo would blow by the defender

allSUAVE
03-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Drose is not better than Rondo I'm sorry he's not

ccspence8
03-04-2011, 02:55 PM
He's a below average shooter, but he's getting better. The problem is they would rather leave him open than have him pass it to someone else.

But most of the time when Rondo is open or goes for a layup he passes first. That's sometimes his problem, he passes too much sometimes when he can do it himself.

I think while the Big 3 get older, Rondo will continue to have a big impact shooting the ball more. Hopefully within the next yr or two he can become an average to above average shooter.

Sly Guy
03-04-2011, 02:55 PM

this. And I'd say his range is probably 8-15 feet, not 15-23. I rarely see him much further than the foul line or elbow pulling up to take the shot.

allSUAVE
03-04-2011, 02:57 PM

Wow are you kidding me?? ..look at the numbers guy ..I don't need my point guard to score the rock ..Scoring point guards would never win a championship And it's proven ...I would Take Rondo over any PG in this league !

Hawkeye15
03-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Nobody plays the glass like Rondo.

Because he hits his shots.

what does this even mean? Beno and Nash both hit a higher percentage than Rondo at the rim. So? Who cares?

I still don't understand the point of this thread, and your responses. You start by saying, "look at Rondo from 16-23, he is better than a few known shooters", while completely neglecting his percentages elsewhere, and how bad they are, and not even bringing up that the majority of those makes are like shooting in your driveway, because there is nobody in sight.

Is he improved? Yes. There was nowhere to go BUT up.
Is he a good shooter? Not in the slightest.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Wow are you kidding me ..look at the numbers guy ..I don't need my point guard to score the rock ..Scoring point guards would never win a championship And it's proven ...I would Take Robdo over any PG on this league !

Please, how about you show us the numbers you refer to?

And it has been proven just the opposite that scoring point guards can win a title. Either way has 0 effect on this year or any year to come.

allSUAVE
03-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Scoring point guards don't win championships! For the exception of maybe isiah Thomas especially if your number one scorer is the point guard you won't go far ...Like I said it's proven!

Cubsfan365
03-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Scoring point guards don't win championships! For the exception of maybe isiah Thomas especially if your number one scorer is the point guard you won't go far ...Like I said it's proven!
Yeah, those Magic Johnson and Jerry West guys really sucked. Oh wait...

Pierzynski4Prez
03-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Yes, like you just said and proved, its proven that scoring 1st point guards CAN win a championship. Also toss magic into there. Maybe even Chauncey Billups.

PurpleJesus28
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM

1. what does this have to do with the thread?
2. havent you started 2 threads about this before and been owned in both of em? your posts never cease to amaze me. seriously, GTFO.

like Hawkeye said - he's had nowhere to go but up. nice to see its only taken him 5 seasons to develop a half-*** jump-shot.

didn't mean for this to come off so hater-ish. just not that impressed the "best PG in the league" (:laugh:) is able to hit an open, uncontested jump shot.

Shonuff
03-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Wow are you kidding me?? ..look at the numbers guy ..I don't need my point guard to score the rock ..Scoring point guards would never win a championship And it's proven ...I would Take Rondo over any PG in this league !

Cough **Dumb** Cough

Didn't we all just have this conversation on scoring PGs winning championships. Isiah Thomas, Magic, Tony Parker. Proven my ***

DaBUU
03-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I could feel this thread ready to burst with.......you know what

PLAYERS FAN
03-04-2011, 03:38 PM
nah
and manu only shoots 3s only

He needs to stop:facepalm:

Pittz
03-04-2011, 03:40 PM

Irony...

Hustlenomics
03-04-2011, 03:44 PM

lmao @ 10 feet, you don't watch games

exactly

on floaters lol

from someone who watches rondo pretty much every game, i can tell you that his jumpshot has improved drastically from the past few years this year. that being said i still think he doesnt feel 100% comfortable with it. doc rivers has come out before and said that he can hit that shot (and does so in practice) consistently but but feels rondo sometimes just isnt aggressive/confident enough to just take the shot. personally, i think he should shoot more. he can hit it. it's just a matter of him being comfortable taking it.

ditto for his free throw shooting. it's improved over the last month or so b/c it's coincided with rondo being more aggressive going to the hoop. he's taken way more ft's over the past month or so than he had for the first couple of the season where his ft% was something like an abysmal 38%. now it's up to 55% or so if i remember correctly. obviously not great but an improvement. also the fact that he has abnormally large hands probably doesnt help either.

i think rondo will progress to shoot better over the next few years. it kinda reminds me of tony parker who really didnt have a shot either coming into the league but now has a semi reliable jumper. if rondo could ever raise his ft % into the 70-75% range, he would be a force to reckon with on the court.
+ 1

this. And I'd say his range is probably 8-15 feet, not 15-23. I rarely see him much further than the foul line or elbow pulling up to take the shot.

you clearly don't watch him play

Hawkeye15
03-04-2011, 03:50 PM
its amazing that some of you still think you need to protect Rondo on this subject, when the evidence is very easy to understand. And everyone here has watched him play a ton. So using the age old, "you clearly don't see him play" is not gonna work. This isn't the Wolves. Its the Celtics. We all watch them play.

Rondo is not a good shooter. Oh well. Get over it.

AI4MVP
03-04-2011, 04:09 PM
well no **** its improved. hes a professional basketball player. its his job. its his profession. its what he does for countless hours a day. it better improve.

BigBlueCrew
03-04-2011, 04:12 PM
what's with all the 'holy crap' threads today? Is it a religious holiday today on PSD?

Me and Mr. T
03-04-2011, 04:13 PM

:facepalm: Do you actually watch any other team than the Celtics?

redwhitenblue
03-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Do we ignore the fact that Kobe, JJ, etc likely face much more contested shots from 16-23. Guys guard them tighter there, while Rondo's jumpers aren't coming as often with a hand in his face.

blahblahyoutoo
03-04-2011, 04:16 PM
lmao this is the worst thread of this year.

If you watch Celtics games you see that teams let him shoot long J's.
Defenders give him miles of space to beg him to shoot.

Have you ever seen Kobe or Manu or other great shooter shoot an open jumper inside the arc? Rarely I believe.

this is true. he usually only shoots when he's open or with the shot clock winding down.

superkegger
03-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Rondo still gets all the space in the world, because teams are conceding the jump shot to him. Basically the defense is saying, ok, we'll live with Rondo taking jumpshots. If you beat us that way, so be it. And watch him in crunch time offensively, he tends to kinda dissapear because he's not confident in the shot, nor is he confident that if he gets to the line that he'll hit the freebies.

haggis
03-04-2011, 04:29 PM
its amazing that some of you still think you need to protect Rondo on this subject, when the evidence is very easy to understand. And everyone here has watched him play a ton. So using the age old, "you clearly don't see him play" is not gonna work. This isn't the Wolves. Its the Celtics. We all watch them play.

Rondo is not a good shooter. Oh well. Get over it.

Hawkeye: 1

OP: -100000000000

nightBULL
03-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Rondo went from having no J to being an okay/average midrange shooter.

No disrespect though because his J looks much better than in previous years.

magichatnumber9
03-04-2011, 05:16 PM
This is the NBA? If your on defense and you don't put a hand in someones face as they shoot it's just bad defense. And enough with ****ing stats this ain't baseball sabermetrics. We used to be able to debate without pulling up advance stats.

miller74
03-04-2011, 05:34 PM
This is the NBA? If your on defense and you don't put a hand in someones face as they shoot it's just bad defense. And enough with ****ing stats this ain't baseball sabermetrics. We used to be able to debate without pulling up advance stats.

Thank god, im not alone on that.

Hawkeye15
03-04-2011, 05:47 PM

you can still debate without using stats if you like. But that is about the same as trying to get a guy convicted of stabbing someone, and having the knife in your possession, but choosing not to use it.

Why would you not pull up evidence? Especially when the OP uses a stat site, without actually using it correctly?

Jewelz0376
03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Real talk if I were Rondo I would literally shoot and make at least 1000 jumpers and ft's a day in the off season..

I can't help but wonder if Rondo actually works on his game in the off season...I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't imagine he does and has such minimal improvement in his jump shooting and ft shooting...

Hawkeye15
03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Real talk if I were Rondo I would literally shoot and make at least 1000 jumpers and ft's a day in the off season..

I can't help but wonder if Rondo actually works on his game in the off season...I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't imagine he does and has such minimal improvement in his jump shooting and ft shooting...

soooooooooooo much of shooting is mental. And you can see the hesitancy with Rondo on his jumper. Until he gets supreme confidence in his shot, he will never be a good shooter, no matter how much he works on it.

NickyNick
03-04-2011, 06:14 PM
soooooooooooo much of shooting is mental. And you can see the hesitancy with Rondo on his jumper. Until he gets supreme confidence in his shot, he will never be a good shooter, no matter how much he works on it.

and the biggest celtics hater strikes again......the thread is about how he has developed a shot from that range, give him some credit

and if the defense doesnt play him tight thats not his fault

Hawkeye15
03-04-2011, 06:20 PM
and the biggest celtics hater strikes again......the thread is about how he has developed a shot from that range, give him some credit

how on earth am I a Celtic hater? Where do you get that from?

And no, the thread was started, with a link to hoopsdata, and they OP stating that Rondo, from 16-23 feet, had a higher percentage than JJ, Kobe, etc. It had nothing to do with his improvement, which has been documented, and as I said, was imminent, since there was nowhere to go but up.

Mane
03-04-2011, 06:23 PM

I don't think he's a Celtics hater, Rondo just doesn't have that good of a jumper.

whitemamba33
lol....give Kobe that kind of coverage and than see what happens. When Rondo starts earning his defenders respects and STILL hits key shots, THAN you make a thread like this.

Kashmir13579
wait so does he have a better mid-range jumper than those other players?

Storch
03-04-2011, 06:30 PM
This is BS. Rondo has a better shot than those guys? You must be kidding.

What's Rondo's free throw percentage? Yeah, case closed.

xabial
03-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I wish Rondo would have Stephen Curry's Shot. He would be Superman 2.0 (PG Version)

smith&wesson
03-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Now all he needs to do is work on his free throws lol

iggypop123
03-04-2011, 06:45 PM
his jumpshot % is higher than those other players simply because he takes so many less jumpers than those guys

The BodyGuard
03-04-2011, 06:50 PM
He'll get better ova time, he needs to trust himself

Hawkeye15
03-04-2011, 06:53 PM
his jumpshot % is higher than those other players simply because he takes so many less jumpers than those guys

his FG% may be effected cause he shoots a lot at the rim. But you can't inflate jump shot percentage. It is what it is. Obviously the fact that he doesn't get contensted HELPS him, but it doesn't inflate the %'s.

Hustlenomics
03-04-2011, 07:57 PM

he does work on his game a lot , this summer he was working with Mark Price on his free throw shooting and it's improved since January
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQkWzlCw6qA&feature=player_embedded

how on earth am I a Celtic hater? Where do you get that from?

And no, the thread was started, with a link to hoopsdata, and they OP stating that Rondo, from 16-23 feet, had a higher percentage than JJ, Kobe, etc. It had nothing to do with his improvement, which has been documented, and as I said, was imminent, since there was nowhere to go but up.

you don't even like Rondo you said it here
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16717831&postcount=22
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16718200&postcount=58

Allstar21
03-04-2011, 08:04 PM
stats can be deceptive
nobody guards rondo

hugepatsfan
03-04-2011, 08:15 PM

This. It's not just about making the shots. It's having the confidence to believe you can make them time and time again. Rondo clearly doesn't at this point.

hugepatsfan
03-04-2011, 08:16 PM
This is BS. Rondo has a better shot than those guys? You must be kidding.

What's Rondo's free throw percentage? Yeah, case closed.

Not really sure what FT% has to do w/ mid range FG shooting...

championships
03-04-2011, 08:17 PM
I would hope his % would go up when No one guards his Jumpshot. Now lets see how he shoots with someone all up in his grill.

hugepatsfan
03-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Yup. Rondo might be shooting a good %, but he doesn't trust it as a go-to shot. Until he does, his shooting will not be an asset. Until his jump shot improves, I believe his ceiling as a player is limited. He is a great player and an awesome PG IMO, but in order to really get to that next level and become a special player his shot and his confidence in it needs to improve.

BoTiggle
03-04-2011, 08:21 PM
He really does NOT have a jump shot. I don't give a **** what your stats say. Watch him every night and you'll see.

bmd1101
03-04-2011, 09:30 PM

They aren't stupid for doing it, would they rather give easier shots to Pierce, and Allen? Sittin back allows easier help to the real shooters, rondo isn't a real shooter... Your pretty much saying he should be played as tightly as them, sorry but no. You got tunnelvision, look around the rest of the court, the game isn't 1on1.

EDIT:
Saying he's Jason Kidd on steroids is stupid, that means hes up there with Gary Payton and Payton would eat Rondo for breakfast. Better scorer, better shooter, better defender.

evadatam5150
03-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Now he is getting hated for making shots? That don't work no more, the Lakers should of lost both games this season.

I don't think anybody is hating on Rondo.. He's just not a good shooter.. Period.. Most teams well dare dude to shoot any day of the week because he's not a good shooter.. Just because one percentage of mid range jumpers is good doesn't mean HE'S an all around good jump shooter.. It's like saying he has the longest legs in the NBA so he's the tallest.. One thing doesnt make the other so..

magichatnumber9
03-04-2011, 11:26 PM
you can still debate without using stats if you like. But that is about the same as trying to get a guy convicted of stabbing someone, and having the knife in your possession, but choosing not to use it.

Why would you not pull up evidence? Especially when the OP uses a stat site, without actually using it correctly?Look Rondo's a bad shooter. I don't need stats. I watch the game. You can present all the statistics in the world but he is what he is. Your not going to convince a Celtics fan that Rondo is not improving his jump shot by putting up stats they don't show on t.v. You will automatically look like a douche even if your intentions are good. The hand in face argument is useless because he's to smart to take such a poor shot selection. But he should hit just about every open jumper. He doesn't and that's why he's a bad shooter. No stats:)

Storch
03-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Not really sure what FT% has to do w/ mid range FG shooting...

I was just stating that his FT % is terrible at 16 feet. It's the easiest midrange shot to make. Wide open, take your time, shoot as you please with no contest. Yet the guy can only make 60%+. The op said the guy has a better shot from 16+ feet so that's why i mentioned free throw.

Truth is, Rondo doesn't have a better mid range shot than the guys listed. It's not even arguable.

his FG% may be effected cause he shoots a lot at the rim. But you can't inflate jump shot percentage. It is what it is. Obviously the fact that he doesn't get contensted HELPS him, but it doesn't inflate the %'s.

Hawkeye15, do not respond to hustlenomics. He will try to bait you into his nonsense arguments to try to get you mad. He's done it with me in the Celtics forum talking nonsense, he's just trying to push your buttons and he does not care whether or not he makes sense.

Hustlenomics
03-05-2011, 01:13 AM
^ ha says the clown who was trying to convince the Celtic forum they'd be worse without Perk...we haven't lost since Green and Kristic been added

flclfanman
03-05-2011, 01:18 AM
I don't care what you saw in those games, Rondo DOES NOT have a jumper. Look at how teams guard Boston, they try to keep the Ball away from Allen, clog the paint to keep KG and Pierce out and give Rondo 5+ feet to operate.

They DARE him to shoot and he usually doesn't unless the shot clock is low.

Another way to gauge a good jump shot shooter is by their FT%. Most good jumpshot shooters have good FT% since a free throw is essentially a flat-footed jumpshot. (i.e. Steve Nash, Ray Allen, Steph Curry,etc.)

Most bad jump shooters (Rondo:eyebrow:) are awful FT shooters (Rondo:facepalm:)

Trust me, when it's crunchtime in Boston the last guy Celt fans want taking a GW jumper is #9.

Hustlenomics
03-05-2011, 01:19 AM
^

flclfanman
03-05-2011, 01:21 AM
^

You want to add some substance to that post?

If I'm wrong say why

Storch
03-05-2011, 01:46 AM
^ ha says the clown who was trying to convince the Celtic forum they'd be worse without Perk...we haven't lost since Green and Kristic been added

I challenge you to find anywhere in my history where I stated that that quote I supposedly said. In fact, I made the opposite claim that the Celtics would make the finals. :facepalm:

All I said was that Perkins helped anchor the defense. Nothing more nothing less. That is quite an obvious fact, any center in the league has that role.

I appreciate the clown remark, at least I can read and comprehend without putting words in other peoples' mouths.

Baiter.

shep33
03-05-2011, 02:07 AM
If Rondo had a jumper, they would've won 3 straight championships. Nobody would beat the Celtics like ever

Hustlenomics
03-05-2011, 02:11 AM
^ they won one when his jumper was clanking off the rim horribly :confused: lol @ blaming the last 2 on him

shep33
03-05-2011, 02:16 AM
^ they won one when his jumper was clanking off the rim horribly :confused: lol @ blaming the last 2 on him

I'm not blaming him for anything, but if he has a jumper, which I'm sorry he doesn't have a consistent one at all, the Celtics would be unbeatable and he wouldn't be afraid of taking it at times.

flclfanman
03-05-2011, 03:01 AM

Just look at how he plays man. Unlike other PGs he tries DESPERATELY to avoid contact when attacking the rim b/c he's a hideous FT shooter. Usually the team's PG wants to get calls when attacking the rim b/c they are usually one of the strongest FT shooters on the floor. Before you say "but he's shooting 50% LOL" look at his shot selection; buncha layups,floaters ,and put backs off of rebounds. He'll make a jumper once in a blue moon but that's pretty rare.

The Celtics won that first title b/c the Big Three was HUNGRY. Theyplayed their ***** off b/c they knew this might be their last shot to win a ring. Rondo did a good job being a floor general, but I can't remember the last time he stepped up to make a crunchtime jumper.

Ecko72jc
03-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Just look at how he plays man. Unlike other PGs he tries DESPERATELY to avoid contact when attacking the rim b/c he's a hideous FT shooter. Usually the team's PG wants to get calls when attacking the rim b/c they are usually one of the strongest FT shooters on the floor. Before you say "but he's shooting 50% LOL" look at his shot selection; buncha layups,floaters ,and put backs off of rebounds. He'll make a jumper once in a blue moon but that's pretty rare.

The Celtics won that first title b/c the Big Three was HUNGRY. Theyplayed their ***** off b/c they knew this might be their last shot to win a ring. Rondo did a good job being a floor general, but I can't remember the last time he stepped up to make a crunchtime jumper.

Against Orlando game 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRuD_DJrJvU

Against the Lakers game 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQDOo3Fi1iE&feature=related

Recently against the Utah Jazz

How many more do you want?

JayW_1023
03-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Rondo is a basketball player in the true sense. His impact is beyond any boxscore. And I love his fearlessness, even when guarding bigger guys. Kid has heart.

His jumper is shaky yes, but he seems to make them at big moments.

magichatnumber9
03-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Rondo is a basketball player in the true sense. His impact is beyond any boxscore. And I love his fearlessness, even when guarding bigger guys. Kid has heart.

His jumper is shaky yes, but he seems to make them at big moments.This. This game is not played by jump shots alone. Players in this league take way to many contested jump shots and 3 pointers. That's why Kobe is about to break the record for most missed shots.

JayW_1023
03-05-2011, 08:22 AM
This. This game is not played by jump shots alone. Players in this league take way to many contested jump shots and 3 pointers. That's why Kobe is about to break the record for most missed shots.

Manu Ginobili for instance could easily average 25 points a game playing that way, but his percentage would go down, and the Spurs would prolly be losing a whole lot more games.

The reason why he is more effective than a Monta Ellis is because he doesn't take bad shots, is a threat as a playmaker. Scoring an efficient 20 points is better than an inefficient 25 points.

As a result Manu has stayed relatively healthy as well.

As for Rondo, he knows his limitations, which is also part of his strength and basketball IQ. This is what sets him apart from a guy like Brandon Jennings, who takes horrible shots despite being an awful jump shooter to begin with.

magichatnumber9
03-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Manu Ginobili for instance could easily average 25 points a game playing that way, but his percentage would go down, and the Spurs would prolly be losing a whole lot more games.

The reason why he is more effective than a Monta Ellis is because he doesn't take bad shots, is a threat as a playmaker. Scoring an efficient 20 points is better than an inefficient 25 points.

As a result Manu has stayed relatively healthy as well.

As for Rondo, he knows his limitations, which is also part of his strength and basketball IQ. This is what sets him apart from a guy like Brandon Jennings, who takes horrible shots despite being an awful jump shooter to begin with.This man doesn't lie

FarOutIos
03-05-2011, 08:46 AM
http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=%&type=pg&posi=PG&yr=2011&gp=40&mins=30

Rondo has shot the ball better from 16-23 than Manu, Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson and Kobe Bryant.

Wow. Beno is the man... why isn't anyone talking about his numbers?...

nbacardDOTnet
03-05-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0ziBWSKOQ

kurivaimu
03-05-2011, 09:20 AM
He has a jumpshot but the confidence isnt really there yet. Tough it will come by time and constant repetition.

Kyben36
03-05-2011, 09:46 AM
If people Watched the games they would see his jumpshot improved. It's decent at best he just needs to be more confident

I have noticed, but he still doesnt have the confidence to take it when people move back off of him and pretty much dare him to.

Panthers4life
03-05-2011, 09:48 AM
wow i cant believe people are hating on rondo in here. saying he just runs around until he finds a teammate. he's arguabley the best all around point guard, i think that because point guards are suppose to handle the ball and setup their teammates with good looks and thats exactly what he does. don't be mad because he wins championships

Gormans Mic
03-05-2011, 11:51 AM

thats not true, if you watch all the games you'd see him taking jump shots lately in close games with under 3:00 to play in the 4th.

Gormans Mic
03-05-2011, 11:52 AM
wow i cant believe people are hating on rondo in here. saying he just runs around until he finds a teammate. he's arguabley the best all around point guard, i think that because point guards are suppose to handle the ball and setup their teammates with good looks and thats exactly what he does. don't be mad because he wins championships

I don't think its just hating...they're unintelligent basketball fans, who completely don't understand what a pg is supposed to be on a great team. Rondo has shown many times, including in the playoffs he can go off for 20+ points in just about any game. He has that kind of penetration. I don't know....maybe these same people think Iverson was a great PG?

chicagowhitesox
03-05-2011, 12:51 PM

HAHAHAHA this thread is hilarious. rondo shoots 54% free throws! he can't shoot at all :facepalm:
shaq has shot better from the line before! :laugh:
if a guy shoots that low of a percentage from mid-range, wide open then he is a TERRIBLE jump shooter... either he has no touch whatsoever or he just has no confidence and standing alone up there to hit the shot is too much pressure for him. in either case, i would NEVER want him taking an open j to win a game for my team.
the reason his percentage may be better than those other players is because he's constantly left wide open...

Hawkeye15
03-05-2011, 12:57 PM
he does work on his game a lot , this summer he was working with Mark Price on his free throw shooting and it's improved since January
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQkWzlCw6qA&feature=player_embedded

you don't even like Rondo you said it here
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16717831&postcount=22
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16718200&postcount=58

I didn't like him at Kentucky either. So how does me not liking Rondo, but still respecting his game, make me a Celtics hater?

Some of you throw that term around like candy here. Pretty pathetic

edit: I actually opened the posts, and I even stated there how much I respect him haha. Get over it

Hawkeye15
03-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Look Rondo's a bad shooter. I don't need stats. I watch the game. You can present all the statistics in the world but he is what he is. Your not going to convince a Celtics fan that Rondo is not improving his jump shot by putting up stats they don't show on t.v. You will automatically look like a douche even if your intentions are good. The hand in face argument is useless because he's to smart to take such a poor shot selection. But he should hit just about every open jumper. He doesn't and that's why he's a bad shooter. No stats:)

fine. no stats. If you watch ONE Celtics game, you can tell his ability to shoot by the other teams defensive strategy. They back way off of him to not let him drive, DARING him to shoot. A junior high scout would understand he can't shoot after watching 1 quarter of Celtics basketball.

There, no stats, and Rondo's shooting ability has been perfectly assessed. Happy?

ElMarroAfamado
03-05-2011, 01:04 PM

if i remember correctly he has won 1. not more than that

ElMarroAfamado
03-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't think its just hating...they're unintelligent basketball fans, who completely don't understand what a pg is supposed to be on a great team. Rondo has shown many times, including in the playoffs he can go off for 20+ points in just about any game. He has that kind of penetration. I don't know....maybe these same people think Iverson was a great PG?

:facepalm:

and ill say this once and ill say it again....just because rondo goes 9-14 or 9-12 doesnt mean he is a good shooter. out of those probably one is a jumpshot two max....you know the guy is a horrible shooter when he has highlights on youtube dedicated to him shooting a jumper haha

magichatnumber9
03-05-2011, 01:17 PM
fine. no stats. If you watch ONE Celtics game, you can tell his ability to shoot by the other teams defensive strategy. They back way off of him to not let him drive, DARING him to shoot. A junior high scout would understand he can't shoot after watching 1 quarter of Celtics basketball.

There, no stats, and Rondo's shooting ability has been perfectly assessed. Happy?Honestly Yes I am. And I agree. Thank You

chicagowhitesox
03-05-2011, 01:19 PM
i would even go so far as to say he is the worst shooting pg in the history of the modern nba. can anyone name a worse shooter???

HaX
03-05-2011, 01:22 PM
No he doesn't, ok? Do you watch the games, they want him to shot it 15feet out, and he rarely does, when he does he misses most of the time. How are you going to judge if someone has a jumpshot by stats, but by not the actual player.

magichatnumber9
03-05-2011, 01:27 PM
i would even go so far as to say he is the worst shooting pg in the history of the modern nba. can anyone name a worse shooter???Off the top of my head no. But I'm sure there are some one and done's that were! But Rondo has proved that having a shot, jump shot whatever is not critical on a championship contender if your a point guard.

D-Block21-Chito
03-05-2011, 01:29 PM
lol sersiously?!? I've been wacthing celtic games this kid does not have a reliable shot yet....and fyi rondo is NOT better than Westbrook or Rose

flclfanman
03-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Against Orlando game 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRuD_DJrJvU

Against the Lakers game 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQDOo3Fi1iE&feature=related

Recently against the Utah Jazz

How many more do you want?

The game 1 shot against the Magic was nice, but that was mostly due to the shot clock running down. If he had an extra 5 seconds he would have looked for the open man. As for the rest of his shot selection:

6 layups
2 floaters
2 jumpshots

The game against Utah:
Layups: 3
Floater:3
Jumpshots:2

As I expected, Rondo takes more at the rim shots than jumpshots, but there are many times (even in those clips you posted) where he'll pass up an open jumper to find another pass. He lacks the confidence to take that shot when it open's up.

flclfanman
03-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Off the top of my head no. But I'm sure there are some one and done's that were! But Rondo has proved that having a shot, jump shot whatever is not critical on a championship contender if your a point guard.

I wonder if this would be true if you take away his extremely talented cast? He's a good point guard, no doubt, but lacking essentials like a jumpshot and a free throw is usually detrimental to other teams.

Hawkeye15
03-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Honestly Yes I am. And I agree. Thank You

:cheers:

Hawkeye15
03-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Off the top of my head no. But I'm sure there are some one and done's that were! But Rondo has proved that having a shot, jump shot whatever is not critical on a championship contender if your a point guard.

Jonny Flynn gives him a run for his money.

And any champion in history has had a player that contributes that needs to be compensated for, regarding a weak part of their game. The Celtics are no different

chicagowhitesox
03-05-2011, 01:40 PM
I wonder if this would be true if you take away his extremely talented cast? He's a good point guard, no doubt, but lacking essentials like a jumpshot and a free throw is usually detrimental to other teams.

this.
i hate when ppl say rondo is a great pg because he won a championship. basketball is a team game. without kg, allen, and pierce, he would have won nothing. he is the 4th wheel. if u replaced him with rose, cp3, westbrook, nash, deron, etc they would be almost unstoppable and would have won more than 1 championship.

magichatnumber9
03-05-2011, 01:41 PM
lol sersiously?!? I've been wacthing celtic games this kid does not have a reliable shot yet....and fyi rondo is NOT better than Westbrook or RoseRose is the best point guard in the game. I'm a Celtic fan and have noticed that this season Derrick Rose has dethroned his competition.

I wonder if this would be true if you take away his extremely talented cast? He's a good point guard, no doubt, but lacking essentials like a jumpshot and a free throw is usually detrimental to other teams.No doubt my friend. The Celtics are middle heavy and each of them can shoot very well at the 2,3,4 spots. I think this is perfect though, think about it. your 1 is a tempo distributor and you 5 is an inside defensive threat with a decent hook shot and above average passer with good hands. That's a winning recipe. Now that dynamic has changed with Perkins being traded. The jury is still out on that.

chicagowhitesox
03-05-2011, 01:42 PM

And any champion in history has had a player that contributes that needs to be compensated for, regarding a weak part of their game. The Celtics are no different

umm considering flynn shoots free throws 30 PERCENTAGE POINTS HIGHER! im gonna go with no on that one...

magichatnumber9
03-05-2011, 01:44 PM

And any champion in history has had a player that contributes that needs to be compensated for, regarding a weak part of their game. The Celtics are no differentI haven't followed the T-Wolves this year as much as in the past. I didn't get the NBA package. I thought this was the year Flynn would break out. What has gone wrong with his game?

Panthers4life
03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
this.
i hate when ppl say rondo is a great pg because he won a championship. basketball is a team game. without kg, allen, and pierce, he would have won nothing. he is the 4th wheel. if u replaced him with rose, cp3, westbrook, nash, deron, etc they would be almost unstoppable and would have won more than 1 championship.

With rose they wouldn't get the looks they do. they wouldn't get the touches they do because rose always has the balls in his hands. rondo is the best pg in the league for what boston is running. rose would take the ball out of kg ray allen pierce adn everybodys hands. rondo is a better rebounder, passer, and defender and thats what the celtics need him to be. rose would make them like the heat, they wouldn't know who to give the ball to in the crunch time. rondo makes the decision for them

Hawkeye15
03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
umm considering flynn shoots free throws 30 PERCENTAGE POINTS HIGHER! im gonna go with no on that one...

it was a joke dude. I am picking on my personal whipping boy (now that Brewer is gone)

Hawkeye15
03-05-2011, 01:50 PM
I haven't followed the T-Wolves this year as much as in the past. I didn't get the NBA package. I thought this was the year Flynn would break out. What has gone wrong with his game?

the hip injury derailed any improvement he was going to make.

Where do I start? He is the worst defensive PG I can think of. He loses his man constantly, because on both sides of the court, he gravitates to the ball like its a shiny new toy. He can't shoot. He doesn't create easy shots for teammates. AT LEAST once a game, he has consecutive turnovers. He is so awful this year, that he literally drags everyone else's production down when he enters the game.

I was pissed when we picked him, I have to be honest. But I tried to be positive. My patience is worn thin with him. I really hope the hip had a ton to do with it, and he makes improvements this summer. But drafting a 5'11" shooting guard with zero play running ability was not the brightest thing to do.

Hawkeye15
03-05-2011, 01:52 PM
With rose they wouldn't get the looks they do. they wouldn't get the touches they do because rose always has the balls in his hands. rondo is the best pg in the league for what boston is running. rose would take the ball out of kg ray allen pierce adn everybodys hands. rondo is a better rebounder, passer, and defender and thats what the celtics need him to be. rose would make them like the heat, they wouldn't know who to give the ball to in the crunch time. rondo makes the decision for them

my 11 year old mind laughed when I read this...

chicagowhitesox
03-05-2011, 01:54 PM

rose is an unselfish player... if he was on that team, he would be more of a passer than he is now. on the bulls, he is the best scorer on the team. so that's what he contributes to help his team win. points. if he needed to, he could average more assists than rondo. rondo passes up wide open breakaway layups to pass to someone else just to boost his numbers. if rose did that and shot as little as he does, he would put up better numbers.
also, they have the exact same rebounding numbers... and rose is a more physical defender. rondo plays the passing lanes better i will admit, but he takes a lot of gambles.

magichatnumber9
03-05-2011, 01:57 PM
the hip injury derailed any improvement he was going to make.

Where do I start? He is the worst defensive PG I can think of. He loses his man constantly, because on both sides of the court, he gravitates to the ball like its a shiny new toy. He can't shoot. He doesn't create easy shots for teammates. AT LEAST once a game, he has consecutive turnovers. He is so awful this year, that he literally drags everyone else's production down when he enters the game.

I was pissed when we picked him, I have to be honest. But I tried to be positive. My patience is worn thin with him. I really hope the hip had a ton to do with it, and he makes improvements this summer. But drafting a 5'11" shooting guard with zero play running ability was not the brightest thing to do.Gotcha thanks. Yeah I have to admit I didn't like that pick myself. I did like the Rubio pick but your options were very limited. Jordan Hill might have made more sense but what can you do.

Hawkeye15
03-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Gotcha thanks. Yeah I have to admit I didn't like that pick myself. I did like the Rubio pick but your options were very limited. Jordan Hill might have made more sense but what can you do.

I was pining for DeRozan. Whatever, too late now

blams
03-05-2011, 06:19 PM
:laugh:

Doogolas
03-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Lol, he shot 43% his second year and 40% his 3rd, he was awful from this distance last year at 33% and is at 40% this year.

But nobody gets in his face. And 40% isn't very impressive when you rarely shoot it and the times you do you are wide open as hell.

Evolution23
03-05-2011, 06:27 PM
rose has something to say about that

towlsmoke420
03-06-2011, 05:24 AM
no he does not