PDA

View Full Version : The Beauty of the game of basketball

shep33
03-03-2011, 03:05 AM
What draws you guys to watching the NBA? What is your favorite aspect of the game today? We have too many hate threads haha, I'm just trying to bring love... the video below is why I love the game. We're watching some of the best players ever to play the game. Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce, Lebron James, D-Wade, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki. We've got legends trying to vie for ultimate glory, youngsters ready to make their mark on the league... what's your favorite part of the game?

For me, its the competition in the playoffs. I love it this year... the Garden will be rocking once again, TD Garden regains that mystique of Bird, Cousy and Russell, the Bulls being the best they've been since MJ left, a storm brewing in OKC, a monster in Orlando ready for any challenge, Dallas with arguably its best team, the Spurs that seem to be ageless and again at the peak of their success, the beasts from South Beach looking to begin a dynasty while the Lakers look to solidify one in history. We can hate on each other all we want, but this game is special nonetheless... most of all lets enjoy the time we have left with some of the guys that are up there in age. Kobe, KG, JKidd, Shaq, the Truth, Ray Ray. We'll be telling our children about these guys one day, how we witnessed some of the greats come in and some of the greats go out... I love it. These playoffs are going to offer some of the best matchups we've seen in a long long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2BnJZLLq9o

Raph12
03-03-2011, 03:08 AM
Skill, athleticism, intelligence, size, durability, passion, competition, etc, etc...

mrbtp
03-03-2011, 03:28 AM
what can be said negative about the nba, you have the complete package right there.
by the way nice vid hadnt seen it before

hyb152
03-03-2011, 03:29 AM
Game winning shots. I played college ball at SF State in the past and I was fortunate enough to make a bunch of game winners over my high school career and AAU. I also missed some too lol but you can't make every shot. Sometimes they just don't fall lol. I love watching game-winners... they bring back old memories. Anyone in here who's made a game winning shot in an organized basketball game before knows what I'm talking about. Great feeling.

shep33
03-03-2011, 03:31 AM
what can be said negative about the nba, you have the complete package right there.
by the way nice vid hadnt seen it before

Yeah, the guy that put the vid together did a really great job.

shep33
03-03-2011, 03:33 AM
Game winning shots. I played college ball at SF State in the past and I was fortunate enough to make a bunch of game winners over my high school career and AAU. I also missed some too lol but you can't make every shot. I love watching game-winners...brings back memories. Anyone in here who's made a game winning shot in an organized basketball game before knows what I'm talking about.

I know what your talking about, i love it man. That's what I'm talking about. Even moreso then making them in front of you home crowd, I love the game winners at the opposing team's gym. Just how everyone goes from crazy loud to absolute silence. I wish I had played college ball, I declined to focus on school... biggest regret of my life.

shep33
03-03-2011, 03:40 AM
I mean more than anything the reason I created this thread was for people just to take a minute and comprehend some of the history we're witnessing... we often trash talk players, and teams, and that's all fine haha I'd be a liar to say I didn't. But there comes a time where I think people should just reflect on some players they criticize, some teams they despise, and look at it not in terms of hate, but respect. Lebron gets a lot of criticism, I've never been a fan of his... but let me say this, I respect his game, the guy is great I can't convince myself otherwise, one of the most talented players i've ever seen, if no the most talented.

Kevin Garnett... again, a lot of criticism goes toward him, and sometimes justly so... but even as a Laker fan I respect him. I'll say this, a lot of us mock him and what not, but I know any fan of any team would love a guy that plays all out like he does.

hyb152
03-03-2011, 03:57 AM
I mean more than anything the reason I created this thread was for people just to take a minute and comprehend some of the history we're witnessing... we often trash talk players, and teams, and that's all fine haha I'd be a liar to say I didn't. But there comes a time where I think people should just reflect on some players they criticize, some teams they despise, and look at it not in terms of hate, but respect. Lebron gets a lot of criticism, I've never been a fan of his... but let me say this, I respect his game, the guy is great I can't convince myself otherwise, one of the most talented players i've ever seen, if no the most talented.

Kevin Garnett... again, a lot of criticism goes toward him, and sometimes justly so... but even as a Laker fan I respect him. I'll say this, a lot of us mock him and what not, but I know any fan of any team would love a guy that plays all out like he does.

You're really a laker fan? And you're actually giving props to Lebron and admitting he might be the most talented player you've ever seen?! Well..... props to you my man. :clap: I'm no heat/laker/celtic fan, but I hate seeing how many laker fans on here that have been talking trash about lebron the past 3 seasons because he's been stealing all of kobe's thunder. It just makes me laugh when laker fans post negativity towards lebron because they can't admit he's the face of the NBA. I could care less about kobe or lebron individually. I just think it's pathetic when these laker fans look for every flaw in lebron's game (like missing one shot or throwing one turnover) just because he's the only threat to kobe. Props to you, one of the few laker fans that will admit how good lebron is despite not being a fan. Your fellow laker fans should take notes from you. I'll remember that on here haha

shep33
03-03-2011, 04:43 AM
You're really a laker fan? And you're actually giving props to Lebron and admitting he might be the most talented player you've ever seen?! Well..... props to you my man. :clap: I'm no heat/laker/celtic fan, but I hate seeing how many laker fans on here that have been talking trash about lebron the past 3 seasons because he's been stealing all of kobe's thunder. It just makes me laugh when laker fans post negativity towards lebron because they can't admit he's the face of the NBA. I could care less about kobe or lebron individually. I just think it's pathetic when these laker fans look for every flaw in lebron's game (like missing one shot or throwing one turnover) just because he's the only threat to kobe. Props to you, one of the few laker fans that will admit how good lebron is despite not being a fan. Your fellow laker fans should take notes from you. I'll remember that on here haha

haha thanks man. It's pretty much most fans these days that talk trash about Lebron, again I don't like him, never been a fan of his ever, but I respect his game just like I respect how KG always plays with that high energy level. Physically in Lebron we've never seen such a guy that fast and strong play like he does, realistically it's one in a million. I guess what I'm getting at is that we often show a lot of hate on these boards, so i just wanted to remind people that yeah we can hate, but lets not forget that often with hate comes respect. Growing up I loved watching the Lakers (back to the days of Van Exel, Ceballos, Eddie Jones etc.) while also the ruggedness of the Knicks out east with Pat and Starks. Just as Knick fans hated Reggie Miller, I mean I think after all was said and done they respected him greatly.

Also haha I don't know if you'll like this part of what I have to say, but I mean Kobe's my favorite player, not gonna lie when he was younger I had my questions about him, on how good he could become as a player... but that guy just worked his tail off every day to become better and better, and as a man I came to respect that beyond measure. In my opinion, he's the closest thing attitude wise we've seen since MJ... i miss that, cause thats what makes me love his game so much. He has that demeanor where he hates everyone he plays, and it just reminds me of the 90s... haha the guy is a prick on the court, but I like that about him, similar to how Celtic fans like KG being nasty on the court. I think we're witnessing an end to that type of lineage of superstar. I mean, just as much as Lebron gets hate, Kobe gets a lot of hate too, and it sucks because although we can trash talk them, which is fine I mean everyone has the right too, haha I've done it before on these forums before too, but there comes a point when trash talking IMO covers up respect. But I understand if he gets hate from a lot of people though, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think fans of other teams would love him on their respective teams if Kobe was a member of their squad.. but its an impossible assumption to make. I can't really explain it, but it's like the one guy on your respective team that as long as he's on the court you feel like everything will be okay, like we always have a chance. I'm sure Heat fans, Celtic fans, Maverick fans, knicks or Thunder fans feel the same way about Lebron/Wade, KG, Pierce, Allen, Dirk, Stat/Melo, KD and Russ etc.

I think we should contine to talk junk haha its part of the game, but i mean we should also reflect on the greatness we're witnessing from guys like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Duncan, etc.

Anilyzer
03-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Bieber

Anilyzer
03-03-2011, 07:31 AM
winning

heattiltheend94
03-03-2011, 08:13 AM
haha thanks man. It's pretty much most fans these days that talk trash about Lebron, again I don't like him, never been a fan of his ever, but I respect his game just like I respect how KG always plays with that high energy level. Physically in Lebron we've never seen such a guy that fast and strong play like he does, realistically it's one in a million. I guess what I'm getting at is that we often show a lot of hate on these boards, so i just wanted to remind people that yeah we can hate, but lets not forget that often with hate comes respect. Growing up I loved watching the Lakers (back to the days of Van Exel, Ceballos, Eddie Jones etc.) while also the ruggedness of the Knicks out east with Pat and Starks. Just as Knick fans hated Reggie Miller, I mean I think after all was said and done they respected him greatly.

Also haha I don't know if you'll like this part of what I have to say, but I mean Kobe's my favorite player, not gonna lie when he was younger I had my questions about him, on how good he could become as a player... but that guy just worked his tail off every day to become better and better, and as a man I came to respect that beyond measure. In my opinion, he's the closest thing attitude wise we've seen since MJ... i miss that, cause thats what makes me love his game so much. He has that demeanor where he hates everyone he plays, and it just reminds me of the 90s... haha the guy is a prick on the court, but I like that about him, similar to how Celtic fans like KG being nasty on the court. I think we're witnessing an end to that type of lineage of superstar. I mean, just as much as Lebron gets hate, Kobe gets a lot of hate too, and it sucks because although we can trash talk them, which is fine I mean everyone has the right too, haha I've done it before on these forums before too, but there comes a point when trash talking IMO covers up respect. But I understand if he gets hate from a lot of people though, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think fans of other teams would love him on their respective teams if Kobe was a member of their squad.. but its an impossible assumption to make. I can't really explain it, but it's like the one guy on your respective team that as long as he's on the court you feel like everything will be okay, like we always have a chance. I'm sure Heat fans, Celtic fans, Maverick fans, knicks or Thunder fans feel the same way about Lebron/Wade, KG, Pierce, Allen, Dirk, Stat/Melo, KD and Russ etc.

I think we should contine to talk junk haha its part of the game, but i mean we should also reflect on the greatness we're witnessing from guys like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Duncan, etc.

great post :clap:
But I agree, I have been watching NBA since 03-04 season, and this is by far the best year. I disagree with everyone who says that when superstars collaborate it takes away from the league. Right now the elite teams: (Lakers, Celtics, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, Spurs, Magic, Knicks, and OKC(debatable)). In the past couple of years, Lakers didn't have much competition to go to the finals, but since the elevation of elite teams, they are struggling to keep 3rd in their division. The playoffs this year are going to be the most competitive in a long time, and that is my answer. Competition is what makes the game of basketball great.

tcav701
03-03-2011, 09:27 AM
The officiating.

Evolution23
03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Stat Melo Billups

benzni
03-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Skill, athleticism, intelligence, size, durability, passion, competition, etc, etc...

uh passion. you might want to tell carmelo, cp3, and lebron james what passion is

magichatnumber9
03-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Because most of us probably play. The others are most likely TMZ basketball fans

danniboi168
03-03-2011, 12:21 PM
marv albert and other commentators make the game exciting.

Mane
03-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Basketball is my favorite sport, i like the way they dribble up and down the court.

But for real, the pace of the game draws me in. People may say that it's a negative thing, but i just love how teams can go back and forth and there are so many different plays to be made that effect the game one way or the other. Wherein sports like soccer, you can just go back and forth with no effect on the game.. same can be said about most other sports.

Also, i play a lot of basketball. its just fun. I was more of an NFL guy until a few years ago, when i just randomly became more passionate for the NBA. I seriously can't hate any players. I had hatred for Lebron on the Cav's, but only because he abused my Wizards in the playoffs for a few straight years.. if you're a real fan of the sport, you can't hate Lebron.. and you can't hate Rose, just because of how truly talented they are.

Bornknick73
03-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I love the game not so much for the player but for the moments. The moments when your team comes together and plays like Voltron. The moment a fringe player makes one big shot and becomes a overnight success story. The moment when a rookie stud crosses the line to greatness.

The moment when the inferior team defeats the superior team through sheer will. The inspirational moments of overcoming all odds. The moments when a star player puts his team on his back and carries them to victory. Or when a team comes together after the loss of their star player and play like stars themselves.

The moment when a team finally gets over the hump against thier nemesis who has held them down a few years. The moments when a coach gives such a super charged sideline decree that his players feed off of it and win. The moments of desperation and exhaustion in the final minutes of a close game. When each player looks each other in the eye in the huddle and a silent bond of victory is decided.

I love the game more for the moments when a man can rise to the occasion more then the man himself. While I love the players I love the moments more.

When the NBA becomes too predictable and the dramatic moments diminished is when I become less of a fan. Its all about the Moments.

shep33
03-03-2011, 01:10 PM
I love the game not so much for the player but for the moments. The moments when your team comes together and plays like Voltron. The moment a fringe player makes one big shot and becomes a overnight success story. The moment when a rookie stud crosses the line to greatness.

The moment when the inferior team defeats the superior team through sheer will. The inspirational moments of overcoming all odds. The moments when a star player puts his team on his back and carries them to victory. Or when a team comes together after the loss of their star player and play like stars themselves.

The moment when a team finally gets over the hump against thier nemesis who has held them down a few years. The moments when a coach gives such a super charged sideline decree that his players feed off of it and win. The moments of desperation and exhaustion in the final minutes of a close game. When each player looks each other in the eye in the huddle and a silent bond of victory is decided.

I love the game more for the moments when a man can rise to the occasion more then the man himself. While I love the players I love the moments more.

When the NBA becomes too predictable and the dramatic moments diminished is when I become less of a fan. Its all about the Moments.

:clap: very good post, I love it. The Knicks are coming together, I don't even know if they've had any quality practices yet haha, but they have already shown glimpses that great team basketball you were mentioning.

Bornknick73
03-03-2011, 01:23 PM
:clap: very good post, I love it. The Knicks are coming together, I don't even know if they've had any quality practices yet haha, but they have already shown glimpses that great team basketball you were mentioning.

It wasnt a homage to the Knicks but I am happy with the results recently. Im talking Jordan against Utah, Mutombo and Denver in game 7 shocker, Spree and Houston stepping up without Ewing to run to the Finals, the Bulls finally getting past the Pistons, the rise of Westbrook, Dwayne Wade after game 2 of the Finals in 06. Jordan hugging the trophy on fathers day after the death of his own. Lebron and the one man show Finals run. AI and the gritty Sixers.

Chuck Daly sideline speeches, Artests putback to save game 3 etc.....so many moments you cant name them all. The drama, the heroism, the agony of the Celtics as they gave it their all and walked off the floor in game 7. The re-emergence of Grant Hill from a injury plagued career.

Once the drama is gone i will follow. When the championship is decided in October I will stop watching.

shep33
03-03-2011, 01:26 PM
great post :clap:
But I agree, I have been watching NBA since 03-04 season, and this is by far the best year. I disagree with everyone who says that when superstars collaborate it takes away from the league. Right now the elite teams: (Lakers, Celtics, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, Spurs, Magic, Knicks, and OKC(debatable)). In the past couple of years, Lakers didn't have much competition to go to the finals, but since the elevation of elite teams, they are struggling to keep 3rd in their division. The playoffs this year are going to be the most competitive in a long time, and that is my answer. Competition is what makes the game of basketball great.

Yeah, there is definitely more competition out there and I love it. The Lakers I think should be okay, but who knows the wests elite are pretty good and now okc is making a push. It's something we don't mention much but this team is aiming toward a 4th straight finals, haha I can't remember the last time that's happend, anybody know by chance? I think it might be the Lakers from 1982-1985 but I could be wrong. I think thats been one of the problems too, teams good or bad get up to play them every night. I think they'll be fine, but your right, its way more competitive... teams like Miami, Boston, the Spurs, Mavs, OKC, Chicago etc are all top tier in this league and anyone can really knock off anyone.

smith&wesson
03-03-2011, 01:28 PM
love the game, the league its self is kinda ****ed up though

shep33
03-03-2011, 01:30 PM
It wasnt a homage to the Knicks but I am happy with the results recently. Im talking Jordan against Utah, Mutombo and Denver in game 7 shocker, Spree and Houston stepping up without Ewing to run to the Finals, the Bulls finally getting past the Pistons, the rise of Westbrook, Dwayne Wade after game 2 of the Finals in 06. Jordan hugging the trophy on fathers day after the death of his own. Lebron and the one man show Finals run. AI and the gritty Sixers.

Chuck Daly sideline speeches, Artests putback to save game 3 etc.....so many moments you cant name them all. The drama, the heroism, the agony of the Celtics as they gave it their all and walked off the floor in game 7. The re-emergence of Grant Hill from a injury plagued career.

Once the drama is gone i will follow. When the championship is decided in October I will stop watching.

Oh I know what you mean, I just personally think the Knicks may be that next team to rise up as a great unit. But I agree the drama of the game is unprecedented, like you said the Nuggets knocking off the Sonics with Mutumbo almost in tears of joy, the Warriors playing infront of that great crowd in the playoffs vs Dallas... long list of great dramatic moments... LJ's 4 point play, so many to choose from.

heattiltheend94
03-03-2011, 01:30 PM

:clap:

Lo Porto
03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
System basketball. Perfectly executed play. Great passes for easy buckets. Unselfish basketball. Team defense such as watching a Magic defender lead his guy right towards Dwight Howard. Taking a charge without flopping.

Sly Guy
03-03-2011, 05:40 PM
the title of this thread reads like a quote from a person who just so happens to also be my reason.....Bill Walton.

Tony_Starks
03-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Kobe taking over games, getting mvp chants in other teams buidlings. Dwight playing like a total beast inside. KD and Westbrook doing their thing. D Rose with the sick pull up, stop on a dime J or reverse layup. Good offense's ran to perfection like Utah or Sacramento in their primes. Blake Griffin smashing on peoples heads. Up and coming teams like Memphis.... the Celtics being the jerks you love to hate... The Lake show making another dynasty!

Klivlend
03-03-2011, 06:37 PM
wow...those last 3 posts may be the worst spam ever

gilly
03-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Sportsmanship, competitive nature, basically all the reasons why I love sports. I love the fans and the support that builds around a team in form, how it brings people together. Cliched but true, it's why people love sports.