PDA

View Full Version : Has Jason Whitlock lost his Mind?!?!

Jkid56
03-01-2011, 09:38 PM
What Iím going to suggest will sound crazy. Staying the current course is crazier.

1. Come up with a pay system that is 60 percent controlled by the individual teams and 40 percent controlled by the league. Teams would control a playerís base salary. The league would dispense money based on team and individual performance.

2. Reach an agreement with the NCAA that allows the top 100 college players/prospects to play in the NBA summer league. Pay the players as interns. Freshman get $25,000, sophomores $50,000, juniors $75,000 and seniors $100,000. Structure the summer league as a playing and educational experience. Teach the players about the history of the league and their responsibility to take care of the league and represent it in a way that grows the value of the league.

3. Register and monitor high school prospects, give them a standardized academic test upon graduation that ó depending on the score ó would qualify them for a financial boost should they later earn a spot on an NBA roster. This would provide an incentive for kids (and their parents) to compete academically.

4. Devise a first-four-years pay scale that pays a player extra money based on how many years of college he completed. A boy enters the league at 18, fresh out of high school, he earns less than a 22-year-old man with a college degree or even a 21-year-old who developed in college for two or three years. A kid can enter the NBA straight out of high school, but there are financial consequences for the decision.

5. Develop a compensation system that slots players 1 to 20 on the roster. Stick with me. I know the roster limit is 15. The team-controlled portion of player salaries will be fixed on a 1-to-20 basis. The No. 1 player on a roster (Kobe Bryant, for instance) would receive a base salary of, letís say, $10 million. A player slotted at No. 2 would earn $8 million. No. 3 $6 million. If youíre the Sacramento Kings, you might not have a player worthy of a No. 1 contract. The Kings' top player might be slotted at No. 4 and be assigned a base salary of $5 million. Maybe the Miami Heat donít have players worthy of being 5, 6 or 7. The Heat might slot Mario Chalmers and Juwan Howard at 17 and 18, which would qualify them for base contracts between $400,000 and $750,000. Also, maybe Dwyane Wade and LeBron James wonít want to play alongside each other if one of them is going to have to settle for being a No. 2.

6. This might take a team of MIT graduates, but figure out how to cut up the league-controlled portion of player salaries based mostly on regular-season wins and then on playoff success. If Kobe leads the Lakers to 65 victories and the title, he should earn approximately an additional $6.5 million in bonuses. Pau Gasol, the Lakersí No. 2, would earn an additional $5.5 million. Iím not smart enough to tell you how much Kobe should earn per regular-season victory or playoff series win, but there are people who can do the math. The league-controlled victory bonus would be slotted, too.

7. Iíd come up with a no-tattoo bonus. Yeah, I know that ticks some of you off. Basketball is the ultimate television sport. Tattoos are not TV friendly. Iíd give young players an incentive to not graffiti their bodies before entering the NBA.

8. Iíd contract two to four teams. Iíd make the remaining teams play four games per season in a satellite home city. The Lakers would partner with Las Vegas. The Clippers would partner with San Diego. The Pacers could play in Cincinnati, the Cavaliers in Columbus.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/nba-can-be-saved-with-radical-plan-030111

You have to read it to believe it :pity:

Look, i honestly think there is absolutely nothing wrong with the NBA as is. Maybe i am wrong but the changes that Whitlock proposes are just plain :crazy:

Opinions?

GoatMilk
03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
he said not long ago the NFL should adopt the 18 game schedule, but players can only play 16 games

so a perfectly healthy Peyton Manning or Adrian Peterson has to sit out 2 games.
lmao

J4KOP99
03-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Interesting read. Definitely some cool thoughts in there. No way it happens though.

zB_#85
03-01-2011, 09:56 PM
usually hate Whitlock but this is an intriguing idea. God forbid professional athletes have the same kind of workplace restrictions, incentives, etc.. as the rest of us in the real world. The only thing I think is that the NBA would become a less attractive career and the talent level would drop. Kids would migrate towards Baseball, Football, or crime. As it is now, playing ball and hoping to become a star keeps alot of kids clean, with less glitz and glamour some of the kids may say **** it and give up, driving the talent level down over time in the NBA.

Jkid56
03-01-2011, 10:06 PM
usually hate Whitlock but this is an intriguing idea. God forbid professional athletes have the same kind of workplace restrictions, incentives, etc.. as the rest of us in the real world. The only thing I think is that the NBA would become a less attractive career and the talent level would drop. Kids would migrate towards Baseball, Football, or crime. As it is now, playing ball and hoping to become a star keeps alot of kids clean, with less glitz and glamour some of the kids may say **** it and give up, driving the talent level down over time in the NBA.

My thoughts exactly. Yes, it makes the NBA more grounded but at the same time kids will look at being an NBA player as equal to being say, a doctor or lawyer. Basketball will become like LaCrosse, a nice sport you play in college but you wouldn't be caught dead making a living as a LaCrosse player.

zB_#85
03-01-2011, 10:14 PM
My thoughts exactly. Yes, it makes the NBA more grounded but at the same time kids will look at being an NBA player as equal to being say, a doctor or lawyer. Basketball will become like LaCrosse, a nice sport you play in college but you wouldn't be caught dead making a living as a LaCrosse player.

most of the NBA talent is from the hood. as soon as there are pre-requisites and effort involved outside of their god-given talent they will give up on that dream. those kids won't put in the work necessary to make it to the NBA if this was put in place, why do you think most of these thugs are NBA players instead of doctors in the first place? LOL.

Jkid56
03-01-2011, 10:16 PM
most of the NBA talent is from the hood. as soon as there are pre-requisites and effort involved outside of their god-given talent they will give up on that dream. those kids won't put in the work necessary to make it to the NBA if this was put in place, why do you think most of these thugs are NBA players instead of doctors in the first place? LOL.

Lol point taken :D

marvILLous
03-01-2011, 10:19 PM
how would #5 work? lol what if a player gets traded? ehh

The Jokemaker
03-01-2011, 10:29 PM
An intern making anywhere from 25k to 100k....Biggest joke of that article.

tbone2171
03-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Jason Whitlock is the biggest douche out there... That is all...

GoatMilk
03-01-2011, 10:45 PM
i do kinda like #8 though

SteveNash
03-01-2011, 11:36 PM

Because the inner city school systems generally suck? Whitlock's proposals still make the NBA a dream job. Getting a quality education, facing discrimination getting accepted into college, paying 100k++ to get an education isn't some easy barrier to break through.

REGular
03-02-2011, 12:06 AM
I used to be a huge Whitlock supporter, but lately he's jumped the shark.

hugepatsfan
03-02-2011, 12:11 AM
he said not long ago the NFL should adopt the 18 game schedule, but players can only play 16 games

so a perfectly healthy Peyton Manning or Adrian Peterson has to sit out 2 games.
lmao

That is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. It's a damn shame he gets paid to give stupid ideas like that.

Crackadalic
03-02-2011, 12:13 AM
So not only do we have clowns on ESPN we also have dumbasses on foxsports?

LA_Raiders
03-02-2011, 12:16 AM
lol, what a dumb ***

IAmKira
03-02-2011, 01:47 AM
So not only do we have clowns on ESPN we also have dumbasses on foxsports?

how should i explain this.. Foxsports just sucks..

ElMarroAfamado
03-02-2011, 03:04 AM
yeah

gotoHcarolina52
03-02-2011, 03:19 AM
8. I’d contract two to four teams. I’d make the remaining teams play four games per season in a satellite home city. The Lakers would partner with Las Vegas. The Clippers would partner with San Diego. The Pacers could play in Cincinnati, the Cavaliers in Columbus.

And the Heat in Havana!

znick21
03-02-2011, 04:03 AM
the idea of putting that much thought into something that even he knows will never happen is mind boggling. the fact that he gets paid for it arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul.

and yes i'm drunk.

bholly
03-02-2011, 04:35 AM
The biggest problem is that the NBPA will never go for a system where players get paid based on the teams' performance, because that's often out of their hands. It's bad enough already when a vet gets stuck on a losing team with no help, but making him get paid less to do it? Horrible idea, that nobody will go for. There're already incentives in contracts - that's enough.

Quick thoughts on the problems with the other ideas, by number:
1) The league can't determine a certain amount of a player's salary. Franchises have owners, who (for the most part) pay the salaries. It's their right to bargain for and determine what those salaries are.
2) The NCAA wouldn't go for this. What would the NBA do for them to make them do it? They're ardently 'amateur' and against any professionalism - I can't see them wanting to give player/students $100k for a summer's work.
3)/4) These are basketball players. They should be paid on the basis of their basketball abilities/potential. Not everyone has the same opportunities to compete academically, and even if they did, being unacademic (or young) is no reason to pay a basketball player less than a more academic (or older) dude. It also gives NBA teams a financial incentive to sign less academic and younger guys, because they have to pay them less.
5) The problem is the total sum of salaries relative to revenue, not the sizes of salaries relative to each other. Standardizing them like this doesn't help, they just need to be lowered. The NBPA would also never go for 'ranking' of players, nor would teams go for not being able to pay multiple guys top money.
6) See top of the post.
7) That's ridiculous.
8) I like the satellite cities idea. Problem is, how many satellite cities are there with NBA-calibre arenas? I know the idea is that it'll bring in more revenue, but you have to make sure it outweighs the cost of taking the NBA to these places.

Ty Fast
03-02-2011, 05:05 AM
get rid of tattoos? how stupid.

TheDiggler
03-02-2011, 07:21 AM
That thing with the tattoos made me smile ... but, this article doesn't sound pretty serious to me and I think the writer was highly likely drunk. No, pissed off, disappointed and drunk. Most of it is complete BS. Sorry.

MLB2K10King
03-02-2011, 12:29 PM

I hope your joking, because this is probably one of the most ignorant things I have ever seen someone post on this site. Unless you have met and spoken to every single player in the NBA please do not come to such a brash conclusion. Its sad that you could even think this way

gotoHcarolina52
03-02-2011, 01:02 PM

I hope your joking, because this is probably one of the most ignorant things I have ever seen someone post on this site. Unless you have met and spoken to every single player in the NBA please do not come to such a brash conclusion. Its sad that you could even think this way

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'd like to point out that one can make a logically valid argument that most of some set X posses a certain quality Y without having to survey the entire set of X. Example: Assume there exists a set of 5 people. You know 3 of those five are women but have no idea as to the gender of the remaining 2. Even from this incomplete quantity of information, you can still logically conclude that most of the people in that set are women.

MLB2K10King deserves a :facepalm: here.

Heater4life
03-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Off the top of my head on the Heat you have A) Lebron: moved from home to home his whole life in the hood B) Wade: his mom was an addict in the projects as Wade was raised by his older sister and brothers C) Haslem: Mom was also a drug addict in liberty city (the hood).

Point being alot of these guys come from messed up places. not much foundations behind them

MLB2K10King
03-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'd like to point out that one can make a logically valid argument that most of some set X posses a certain quality Y without having to survey the entire set of X. Example: Assume there exists a set of 5 people. You know 3 of those five are women but have no idea as to the gender of the remaining 2. Even from this incomplete quantity of information, you can still logically conclude that most of the people in that set are women.

MLB2K10King deserves a :facepalm: here.

Most or all, it does not change the fact that his comment was completely ignorant. If you cant see that then I guess we will never see eye to eye on an issue like this.

MLB2K10King
03-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Off the top of my head on the Heat you have A) Lebron: moved from home to home his whole life in the hood B) Wade: his mom was an addict in the projects as Wade was raised by his older sister and brothers C) Haslem: Mom was also a drug addict in liberty city (the hood).

Point being alot of these guys come from messed up places. not much foundations behind them

you just named what three or four players, my stance remains that you made an ignorant statement, and I dont have much confidence in you having any experience with people outside of wherever you come from. I'm sure you meant no harm with your statements but unfortunately your comments are offensive and small minded. I come from one of these "Hoods" that your talking about, and I had the opportunity to play college ball, but instead chose to focus on my education, and plan to attend Law School in the Fall of 2012. Growing up in a rough neighborhood does not mean that you lack structure or work ethic. I didn't need a jump shot or a good 40 time to get this far, and there are many others just like me. So please if you have no experience dont rush to judgement.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
03-02-2011, 11:37 PM
well i aint gonna lie./. some of those wouldent kill us..hahaha

zB_#85
03-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Most or all, it does not change the fact that his comment was completely ignorant. If you cant see that then I guess we will never see eye to eye on an issue like this.

it was a bit of an embelishment for me to say most of the NBA players are from the hood- but a very good amount of the great talent in the NBA are!!! it's a fact, most of them say it. it's not like it's something they're not proud of. they are proud that they made it where they have (as they should be).

the point I was trying to make is that if there were more pre-requisites involved to get to the NBA- the NBA would miss out on a lot of talent. they simply don't have the support system and have never had an example made for them to put in the work. bottom line.

I do commend the NBA for putting their players through seminars and training on how to deal with life that they are being thrust into. There are still off the court issues, but the NBA has tried hard to clean these kids up and stress to them the importance of being a good citizen/role model.

I realize it's not PC for me to say, and that seems to be your whole beef with this. If you follow the NBA there is no way you don't honestly know this, you're just on your politically correct pedestool...

MLB2K10King
03-03-2011, 11:40 AM

SO you find nothing wrong with the highlighted comment, that has nothing to do with being politically correct, I was deeply offended by this comment.

Tony_Starks
03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
No tattoo bonus? Wow Ok Whitlock, way to keep it real kid! lol this guy is a joke!

Tony_Starks
03-03-2011, 02:57 PM
SO you find nothing wrong with the highlighted comment, that has nothing to do with being politically correct, I was deeply offended by this comment.

don't even waste your time responding to that degree of ignorance, its not even worth it. Probably doesn't even really believe that trash anyway unless he's secretly a klansman or something, more than likely trying to ruffle some feathers....

hgtiger32
03-03-2011, 03:02 PM
this guy gives me hope that I'll make it with a communications major

Klivlend
03-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Really Stupid

ShockerArt
I like his ideas for the college kids. Summer internships in the D-league + a pay scale based on college experience is a solid plan. I think it's ridiculous that kids can't go into the draft straight out of high school anymore.

Klivlend
this guy gives me hope that I'll make it with a communications major

Go for it, man! I graduated with a communications degree Summer '09 and I'm doing fine.

magichatnumber9
03-03-2011, 03:23 PM
So not only do we have clowns on ESPN we also have dumbasses on foxsports?This

Sandman
03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Jason Whitlock's column has been garbage for some months now.

smith&wesson
03-03-2011, 03:42 PM
some ppl smoke regular stuff. this guy smokes some really really "good" stuff.

zB_#85
03-03-2011, 05:56 PM

well I didn't mean to personally offend anyone so I apologize if you're offended. I'm not going to keep arguing my point because I don't want to offend anyone else. Agree to disagree, I don't mean to offend but statistically speaking my point could be backed.

And for whoever said I might be a clan member, never once did I make this about race nor did a mention a specific race. I would apply the same logic to other demographics also about things outside of the NBA. There are always exceptions to the rule, but statistically speaking many people are a product of where they come from (sometimes unfortunately). All I was saying is that the NBA wouldn't want to do this in fear that it might weed out some of the talent that is able to make it to the NBA. The Birdman is a perfect example. You think that loser would be in the NBA if these rules were in place....NO!!! He had some bad years in life, these rules wouldn't have allowed for him to make his way back like he has.

This is a sports forum so while I may have came off without regard for feelings, I'm really not that way. I'm just very to the point and not so politically correct, but it works both ways for me. I am not easily offended myself so I don't mind political incorrectness.

Tony_Starks
03-03-2011, 07:24 PM
^Not to beat a dead horse but I think the main issue is that you seem to equate "being from the hood" with a general lack of work ethic or inability to follow rules. Basically they're just big dumb jocks or thugs with natural talent. Thats a pretty huge generalization, like saying all people from the south are uneducated or hicks. Also it isn't true.

Also you're inaccurate about the majority of players being "from the hood" in the first place. A very large amount of them have parents that played professional sports of some sort and get in the door that way. Not to mention the international players. If you were track it statwise Im pretty sure the players that are truly from the hood are not in any way the majority.

Also the simple fact that you used the term "thug" tells me alot. I hate to break it to you but thugs don't have anything to do with structured sports. If you ever meet a thug you'll recognize it pretty quick and TRUST me he won't be dribbling a basketball.

Im speaking as a person who has seen actual people from the actual hood, like Aaron Afflalo for example, make it and they completely dispel your analogy. Some of them even work harder to compensate.....

BALLER R
03-03-2011, 07:44 PM

are you talking bout the hood part because if you are he is kinda right there are a lot of nba players that grew up in the hood

knicks4life33
03-03-2011, 08:15 PM
interesting

euifdsa8fdal
03-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Hey there, I find an amazing

Hey there, I find an amazing web,please click the web ,you can find big pleasantly surprised
╭⌒╮WELCOME http://p1.fr/ncg4s
----- ~ § ╭⌒╮ ╭⌒╮
╭⌒╭⌒╮╭⌒╮~╭⌒╮ HANDBAG 35$
,)))),'')~~ ,''~)
╱◥█◣ ╱◥█◣ SHOES 35$
|田|田||田|田| CLOTH 15$
╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬ 2010 NEW

input this URL:
( http://p1.fr/ncg4s )
you can find many cheap and fashion stuff
jordan air max oakland raiders $30--39;
Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $20;
Handbags (Coach lv fendi d&g) $30
T shirts (Polo ,edhardy,lacoste) $15
Jean(True Religion,edhardy,coogi) $30
Sunglasses (Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $15
New era cap $15
Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $20
( http://p1.fr/ncg4s )
WE ACCEPT PYAPAL PAYMENT
DELIVERY TO YOU DOOR TO DOOR
Free Shipping

MLB2K10King
03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
well I didn't mean to personally offend anyone so I apologize if you're offended. I'm not going to keep arguing my point because I don't want to offend anyone else. Agree to disagree, I don't mean to offend but statistically speaking my point could be backed.

And for whoever said I might be a clan member, never once did I make this about race nor did a mention a specific race. I would apply the same logic to other demographics also about things outside of the NBA. There are always exceptions to the rule, but statistically speaking many people are a product of where they come from (sometimes unfortunately). All I was saying is that the NBA wouldn't want to do this in fear that it might weed out some of the talent that is able to make it to the NBA. The Birdman is a perfect example. You think that loser would be in the NBA if these rules were in place....NO!!! He had some bad years in life, these rules wouldn't have allowed for him to make his way back like he has.

This is a sports forum so while I may have came off without regard for feelings, I'm really not that way. I'm just very to the point and not so politically correct, but it works both ways for me. I am not easily offended myself so I don't mind political incorrectness.

I can agree to disagree, and I dont think your a clansman either. We've all said something that at some point or another has rubbed someone else the wrong way. I was just bothered by the thought that you seemed to feel that coming from an inner city neighborhood, made lazy and unmotivated to work.