PDA

View Full Version : Thunder ink Kendrick Perkins to an extension

Wade_County
03-01-2011, 11:35 AM
The Oklahoma City Thunder has agreed to terms on a contract extension for Kendrick Perkins, the 6-foot-10 center acquired via trade with Boston last Thursday, The Oklahoman has learned.
Terms of the deal were not immediately known, but Perkins is eligible for a four-year extension. Perkins earlier this season had turned down a four-year offer worth approximately $22 million from the Celtics.
With the two sides agreeing to a deal now, the risk of Perkins leaving the Thunder as an unrestricted free agent this summer has been removed.
Perkins said in his introductory press conference Saturday that he wanted to be in Oklahoma City for “the long haul.”
“I hope I can be here,” Perkins said. “I (want to) be here. I couldn’t find a better situation for myself. I really want to be here. It’s just a great organization.”

source:
http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings/2011/03/01/kendrick-perkins-inks-extension/

NYstateofMinD
03-01-2011, 11:37 AM
He doesn't deserve more than 9 million a year, but even if he got over-payed; he fits them perfectly.

bahama0811
03-01-2011, 11:40 AM
The Thunder are a class organization. Good for him.

xbrackattackx
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
He was Hilarious in his Press time.

stawka
03-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Awesome news for both parties. Good luck to him, always liked his game

Byronicle
03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
i'd pay that much

twoearl
03-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Isn't perkins hurt right now? For all the good moves the Thunder make, how smart is it to give an extenstion to a dude who hasn't played meaningful minutes since last June?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-01-2011, 12:04 PM
34mils for 4 years i think

greek miami hea
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
good for the okc

ragee
03-01-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't know if this is a smart decision... I hope it works well for OKC...

Swashcuff
03-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't know if this is a smart decision... I hope it works well for OKC...

Of course a Mavs fan would say this. With your guys' history of inking Cs in their contract years you should be a bit wary of it. Lol

Swashcuff
03-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Isn't perkins hurt right now? For all the good moves the Thunder make, how smart is it to give an extenstion to a dude who hasn't played meaningful minutes since last June?

I fully agree so wait until the off season and let some other team pay him much more than you're offering and lose Jeff Green for basically nothing. That's a horrible logic and a smart deal for the Thunder. They saved themselves money in the long run.

The only Cs that aren't injury prone in today's NBA are Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez and Al Horford. They aren't going to get any of those guys this off-season so its best the make the smart choice and cheaply. Very smart move.

ragee
03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Of course a Mavs fan would say this. With your guys' history of inking Cs in their contract years you should be a bit wary of it. Lol

Hahaha... Very true but don't you think it was too early? Maybe they should have let him play a couple of games to see if he fits well with the team... They already have him... What was the rush?

Chitownhero14
03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Yea they have a great young team now, they can really be good for many years as long as everyone is healthy and stays healthy

Madtown22
03-01-2011, 12:33 PM
nice to see his stay

Swashcuff
03-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Hahaha... Very true but don't you think it was too early? Maybe they should have let him play a couple of games to see if he fits well with the team... They already have him... What was the rush?

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q52

The earlier the better bro. It would possibly cost them less the earlier they extend him and they now know exactly how they can manage their team from here going forward.

Young and Stupid
03-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Well it does a few things:

- It assures Perkins that the team in committed to him long-term. Not only does that give him a sense of loyalty from the Thunder, but he also might decide to be prudent with his injury and not rush back in an attempt to ink a new contract.
- It allows the Thunder to save money in the long-run. By signing him while he was injured Oklahoma City was probably able to save a good $10 million that he could have earned if he came back from the injury strong and felt that his value was bolstered.
- Shows other players on the team -- as well as players around the league -- that the Thunder are committed to their players (even if they're injured). It generates a sense of trust and shows that they're a class organization.

Obviously there's risk involved, but I think this is a very shrewd move by Presti that will save the team money and earn trust in the long-run. The Thunder have shown time and time again to be one of the best run organizations in the league. Now let's see if they can challenge the Lakers for the West title this year.

twoearl
03-01-2011, 01:08 PM
I fully agree so wait until the off season and let some other team pay him much more than you're offering and lose Jeff Green for basically nothing. That's a horrible logic and a smart deal for the Thunder. They saved themselves money in the long run.

The only Cs that aren't injury prone in today's NBA are Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez and Al Horford. They aren't going to get any of those guys this off-season so its best the make the smart choice and cheaply. Very smart move.

Ok, but Perk had a very bad injury. It's not like he just had a broken finger or something. I'm not saying they should of did it, I'm just saying they should wait to at least see if he can still play at a high level. Perk is a good role player but he is not going to now shift the balance of power to OKC.

ragee
03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Well it does a few things:

- It assures Perkins that the team in committed to him long-term. Not only does that give him a sense of loyalty from the Thunder, but he also might decide to be prudent with his injury and not rush back in an attempt to ink a new contract.
- It allows the Thunder to save money in the long-run. By signing him while he was injured Oklahoma City was probably able to save a good $10 million that he could have earned if he came back from the injury strong and felt that his value was bolstered.
- Shows other players on the team -- as well as players around the league -- that the Thunder are committed to their players (even if they're injured). It generates a sense of trust and shows that they're a class organization.

Obviously there's risk involved, but I think this is a very shrewd move by Presti that will save the team money and earn trust in the long-run. The Thunder have shown time and time again to be one of the best run organizations in the league. Now let's see if they can challenge the Lakers for the West title this year.

The highlighted part was the only reason I can think of why they did it... Hopefully, it works well for them...

Swashcuff
03-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Ok, but Perk had a very bad injury. It's not like he just had a broken finger or something. I'm not saying they should of did it, I'm just saying they should wait to at least see if he can still play at a high level. Perk is a good role player but he is not going to now shift the balance of power to OKC.

LOL.

The same was said about Tyson Chandler and look at what he's doing for the Mavs D this season.

Tyson is came off a bad (worst) injury and he relied a lot more on athleticism to be effective than Perk.

jetsfan28
03-01-2011, 01:18 PM
The deal includes bonus clauses that can increase Perkins contract, sources say.

OKC increased Perkins' 2010-'11 salary $2.3M to $6.70M and did extension off new number. Creative work by GM Sam Presti and agent Bob Myers.

Very nicely done by OKC to decrease the base value of the contract in future years while giving him the money he wants, like they did with Collison where he's making 3.3-2.3 million for the next 4 years while making over 13 million this year.

Also, while Clay Bennett may be a dick for moving them, I can't help respecting his willingness to spend, the lack of which has killed some teams recently.

shep33
03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
okay weren't Boston saying that he wanted 10 mill a year? We he signed for less than that, and I think he would've took even less had he Boston hung onto him. I think just the friendships he made there would convince him to sign for less.

Avenged
03-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I like this move.

The Thunder are ready to contend for the future as early as next season.

Swashcuff
03-01-2011, 01:36 PM
okay weren't Boston saying that he wanted 10 mill a year? We he signed for less than that, and I think he would've took even less had he Boston hung onto him. I think just the friendships he made there would convince him to sign for less.

I wonder if the fact that the Thunder are already set for the next 5-6 years with a young core already set and some promising role players may have swayed his decision.

tdunk21
03-01-2011, 01:38 PM
come back to spurs FO presti...am starting to hate u...

very good decision by the thunder FO....but perkins is injury prone...

totheights
03-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Good for Perk! Hopefully he can average 10 and 10 for them while playing great defense.

Swashcuff
03-01-2011, 01:41 PM
come back to spurs FO presti...am starting to hate u...

very good decision by the thunder FO....but perkins is injury prone...

That's something they got to live with bro. The vast majority of NBA Cs are injury prone these days. It's a steal considering some of the other contracts out there.

blahblahyoutoo
03-01-2011, 01:41 PM
6'10" center.

Swashcuff
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
6'10" center.

Chuck Hayes is 6'6

masalex1205
03-01-2011, 01:58 PM
great move imo; only question is Perkins' health

jetsfan28
03-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Add in his 2.3 million raise this year (I don't think that's part of the 35 mill, but I may be wrong) and it's close to 40.

AI
03-01-2011, 02:48 PM
So it's $6.7M for 4 years = $26.8M plus the raise in this years salary. Very smart move by the Thunder.

Swashcuff
03-01-2011, 03:13 PM
So it's $6.7M for 4 years = $26.8M plus the raise in this years salary. Very smart move by the Thunder.

Where did you get that from?

I'm saw 4/35

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-Oklahoma-City-Thunder-extend-Kendrick-Perkin?urn=nba-328159

The result is a four-year, $34.8 million deal that is more reminiscent of what players like Marcin Gortat(notes) are making, while a step below what Joakim Noah(notes) and Al Horford(notes) are pulling in. It gives the Thunder a big man it can rely on to defend, defend, defend (while, despite his limitations, not hurt the team offensively) for the next few years, and the good-enough terms allow the team to safely extend all-world guard Russell Westbrook(notes) this offseason to what will probably be a max contract.

Baller1
03-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Sam Presti 4 Prez.

The BodyGuard
03-01-2011, 03:31 PM
:hi5:
This is great news for me and all Okc fans

AI
03-01-2011, 04:53 PM
I read it was $33.4M overall if you count this years raise.

ewing
03-01-2011, 04:56 PM
I think its a fair contract for Perk but I find it interesting that they inked him before seeing how he fits. Was he really going to up his value over the last 3rd of the season that much. I dont think so. Seems alittle fast, no?

Sorry didnt see there were so many posts already addressing this