PDA

View Full Version : NBA Power Rankings Week 18 (ESPN/NBA)

SeoulBeatz
02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
1 (1) Spurs 49-10 We repeat: The Spurs are still a healthy six games up on the rest of the West, still healthier than any other contender and just watched another star (Melo) leave the conference to head East. Must be an odd year.
2 (2) Mavericks 43-16 Tough to nitpick a team on a 16-1 roll, but it is a concern that the Mavs -- thanks to their trouble holding leads -- have already played 23 games decided by five or less. That was their season total in Carlisle's first two.
3 (3) Bulls 40-17 Some reward we get for vaulting the Bulls above Boston to No. 3 last Monday. Hard to focus on Chicago's 8-5 record against the rest of the top six when it gives up 118, in Noah's first game back, to (yikes) Toronto.
4 (4) Celtics 42-15 I know, I know: Ainge is a gambler, and re-signing Perk would have been expensive, and Boston has badly needed a 3/4 since Posey left. None of it stops me from saying Boston's trade was more surprising than Utah's.
5 (7) Lakers 42-19 Help at the deadline would have been handy, but a W in OKC -- even with Perkins out -- gave the champs six quality road wins in February, which is progress even when you account for what happened in Cleveland.
6 (5) Heat 43-17 Continually losing big games will continue to hurt the Heat here every Monday, but memories of 2006 still haunt those of us who wrote them off that season for being just as bad or worse against the elite. 'Til it mattered.
7 (6) Magic 38-22 The Magic would be reveling in the departure of Dwight's worst one-on-one nightmare ... except that Boston's willingness to ditch Perkins mid-stream actually suggests that the Celts don't even sweat Orlando any more.
8 (8) Thunder 36-22 Can't say it better than Professor Hollinger said it. For three-and-a-half seasons, OKC was a team of the future. After the deals for Perkins and Mohammed and the size they've injected, OKC is a team of the present.
9 (10) Grizzlies 33-28 Deepest Grizzlies team ever? That status was probably clinched even before last week, but Battier's return and the collapsed Mayo trade sealed the deal, which is why Rudy Gay's shoulder injury hasn't really hurt them yet.
10 (11) Nuggets 34-26 With New Orleans getting Landry, Portland getting Wallace, red-hot Memphis getting Battier and Denver keeping all of its Knicks from the Melo deal, maybe the bottom half of the West bracket won't be Pushover City.
11 (12) Hawks 36-23 The Hawks have finally injected that roster with some new blood. Snatching the No. 4 seed from Orlando might be their modest ceiling now, but they were heading the other way without the decision to go get Hinrich.
12 (9) Trail Blazers 33-26 For all the justified love LaMarcus Aldridge has been getting, he suddenly has something even more satisfying: help. Camby has been reactivated, Gerald Wallace has been acquired ... and B-Roy is back with a flourish.
13 (14) Hornets 35-26 If you're missing your daily dose of superstar speculation that was a staple of the six months leading up to the trade deadline, fear not. You only have to wait until Wednesday night, when CP3 makes his solitary MSG stop.
14 (15) Knicks 30-27 The East's best will surely put a lot more stock into what they saw from the new Knicks in Miami than what they showed us in Cleveland. Trust us: No top-four seed wants to see Amare and Melo in a first-round series.
15 (13) Suns 30-27 Two straight Mondays in this space for Channing Frye? He left us no alternative with that buzzer-beater for the win in Indy, which was the Suns' first since a game-winner from Quentin Richardson in December 2004.
16 (16) 76ers 30-29 Collins is a factor in the main COY race now and has East Coach of the Month for February wrapped up. The Sixers went 9-3, passing .500 for the first time all season with their best month since February 2003 (8-2).

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/powerrankings/02/28/week18/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/season/2011/week/18

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

RZZZA
02-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I was expecting us to be higher than number 3 this week but its tough to get higher when the mavericks and spurs are ahead of you. Those two teams don't seem to lose many games.

still, higher than the Celtics, Lakers and Heat? I'll take it

swirl54
02-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Go bulls

SeoulBeatz
02-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah Bulls deserve to be at the top of the east at this moment frankly. It's looking more likely to be Celts-Bulls in ECF than any other combo after Miami's recent struggles and NYK's lack of depth.

LTBaByyy
02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I was expecting us to be higher than number 3 this week but its tough to get higher when the mavericks and spurs are ahead of you. Those two teams don't seem to lose many games.

still, higher than the Celtics, Lakers and Heat? I'll take it

I know!!!!!! We are 16-1 in the last 17 games and guess what?

We are still 6 games behind the Spurs :cry:

flclfanman
02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Right where I thought we'd be. Hard to pass the Texas twosome when they're playing that well.

Standings might shuffle big time after next week, lotsa crazy games coming up :nod::

RZZZA
02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I always said we match up better with the Celtcs because they play more our pace, but after seeing just how weak Miamis half court offense is, I think I'd rather face them than the Celts.

Honestly, stopping the Heats transition offense is priority number one for any team facing them, but assuming thats done well, the Heat suddenly don't become such a scary team.

210Don
02-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Lonely at the top

flclfanman
02-28-2011, 04:40 PM
I always said we match up better with the Celtcs because they play more our pace, but after seeing just how weak Miamis half court offense is, I think I'd rather face them than the Celts.

Honestly, stopping the Heats transition offense is priority number one for any team facing them, but assuming thats done well, the Heat suddenly don't become such a scary team.

Right now it looks like half court defense+rebounding presence+bench support is all we need to beat MIA.

Still cant believe they lost to the Knicks. I was jokingly hoping for a Knick win to help us in the standings, but I'll take what I can get. :D

RZZZA
02-28-2011, 04:46 PM
They lost to the Knicks because they collapsed. Epic collapse, both offensively and defensively.

Super.
02-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Bulls over Celtics?

:pity:

six
02-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Bulls should be 2nd. They are 2-0 against mavs.

mjqusoldier
02-28-2011, 05:25 PM
They lost to the Knicks because they collapsed. Epic collapse, both offensively and defensively.

what about when the Bulls lost to the Knicks twice? same thing?

Sox72
02-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Bulls should be 2nd. They are 2-0 against mavs.

It's hard to jump them, though, when they don't lose.

redwhitenblue
02-28-2011, 05:26 PM
No, that was over the top 3 pt shooting, of the likes that NY didn't see in any other game.

The Bulls didn't have the lead to collapse like Miami did.

RZZZA
02-28-2011, 05:29 PM

I only remember one of those games, it was the christmas game. Bulls lost because of too many turnovers and perimeter defense wasn't good enough

redwhitenblue
02-28-2011, 05:30 PM
I only remember one of those games, it was the christmas game. Bulls lost because of too many turnovers and perimeter defense wasn't good enough
The first game was game 2 or 3 of the season, Knicks shot 75% from 3 while attempting 20 or so 3's.

fin_frenzy_84
02-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Knicks at 14 haha thats great!!!

ManRam
02-28-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm so sick of all the over-analyzing and back-and-forth banter about trivial things that the NBA world has been subjected to lately. I'm ready for the playoffs. I don't care if the Bulls are ranked higher than the Celtics. I don't care if LeBron missed a game-tying three. I don't care whether or not the Knicks might be a true contender. I don't care if you'd rather take Melo over LeBron. I don't care who should take the last shot for Miami. I don't care who should be the MVP. I don't care if KG is dirty. I don't care if Rose is better than Westbrook.

I used to love all this stuff, but this year, it's just been overkill. I WANT THE PLAYOFFS.

Once again, power rankings are the stupidest inventions ever. Add these to the list of things I no longer care about...

RZZZA
02-28-2011, 05:48 PM
the playoffs will be here soon, its the final stretch.

come on, you're a basketball fan, enjoy the games while they're being played

DROSE4MVP
02-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm so sick of all the over-analyzing and back-and-forth banter about trivial things that the NBA world has been subjected to lately. I'm ready for the playoffs. I don't care if the Bulls are ranked higher than the Celtics. I don't care if LeBron missed a game-tying three. I don't care whether or not the Knicks might be a true contender. I don't care if you'd rather take Melo over LeBron. I don't care who should take the last shot for Miami. I don't care who should be the MVP. I don't care if KG is dirty. I don't care if Rose is better than Westbrook.

I used to love all this stuff, but this year, it's just been overkill. I WANT THE PLAYOFFS.

Once again, power rankings are the stupidest inventions ever. Add these to the list of things I no longer care about...

x1

Playoffs is where it all matters. I think people overreact about the whole Heat can't beat the elite teams. The same thing happened when they won their last championship. They couldn't even sniff the Pistons, but then beat them in the playoffs. I hate standing up for the Heat, but it's a whole another level when it comes to the playoffs.

RZZZA
02-28-2011, 05:55 PM
I wasn't aware that the Heat have the same team and coach as they did in 2006.

Obviously history will repeat itself though, since it happened in 2006, it must happen again

bholly
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
x1

:eyebrow:

But +2 to manram's comment.

DaBUU
02-28-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm starting to think this years Spurs team is one of the most underrated teams in recent memory. They are dominant when you look at the numbers and their record, yet all you hear about are the Heat, Bulls, C's and Lakers.

magichatnumber9
02-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Bulls over Celtics?

:pity:We'll take it. We don't care about about regular season brew ha ha. We want the shiny stuff.

marlinsfan24
02-28-2011, 07:46 PM

x2

x1

Playoffs is where it all matters. I think people overreact about the whole Heat can't beat the elite teams. The same thing happened when they won their last championship. They couldn't even sniff the Pistons, but then beat them in the playoffs. I hate standing up for the Heat, but it's a whole another level when it comes to the playoffs.

I agree with this completely.