PDA

View Full Version : Why no play-time for Corey Brewer?!?

hovyboo
02-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I thought he was the 3rd most important piece of the Melo trade. He plays sg, sf and even pf. He's a solid defender and the Knicks need more bodies. Why won't D'Antoni play him?!? I'm scared the knock cut him to sign jefferies or Murphy if they can get Murphy. I'd cut Anthony Carter and Shelden " Candice Parker" Williams. Please help me understand our coach!

tbone2171
02-28-2011, 02:32 PM
:laugh2: T-wolves fan here..Corey Brewer is where he belongs (on the bench)

Hawkeye15
02-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Brewer is a horrible shooter who would hurt their offense is why. Since when has Mike D ever cared about putting a situational defender on the floor?

Swashcuff
02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Because he's horrendous on the offensive end of the floor. He isn't figured to get much playing time in NY. No surprise there.

Allstar21
02-28-2011, 02:35 PM
the knicks and the nuggets should have traded coachs too...d-tony doesnt have a team to fit his offense

hovyboo
02-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I just feel like he has to be better than Anthony Carter! Give him even 5 minutes to try and prove himself

chitown815
02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDKtbPxHx4

YankeeClipper5
02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
I just feel like he has to be better than Anthony Carter! Give him even 5 minutes to try and prove himself

Did you even watch the game last night? Carter was defending Wade whenever he was on the floor and did a pretty good job.

PlezPlayDKnicks
02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Anthony Carter and Balkman cannot score well and were put on the floor for defensive purposes... Please don't assume guys that Dantoni doesn't care at all about defense... It's not his primary focus which is true but let's not get carried away

Hawkeye15
02-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Anthony Carter and Balkman cannot score well and were put on the floor for defensive purposes... Please don't assume guys that Dantoni doesn't care at all about defense... It's not his primary focus which is true but let's not get carried away

to answer the OP's question, Brewer will get some playing time eventually.
And yes, its widely assumed, and now considered kind of a joke, that Mike D doesn't care about defense. Does he care? Of course he does, any coach does. Does he address his deficiencies for his teams always being bad on that end? No.

knicksfan42
02-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Brewer is a horrible shooter who would hurt their offense is why. Since when has Mike D ever cared about putting a situational defender on the floor?

We played Balkman, he isn't any better offensively than Brewer.

The Jokemaker
02-28-2011, 02:48 PM
We played Balkman, he isn't any better offensively than Brewer.

He's a fan favorite.

Slimsim
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
When JJ comes none of them will play balkman or brewer. Carter earn playing time he shutdown wade

Hawkeye15
02-28-2011, 02:52 PM
do you want an actual evaluation, defensively, for Brewer? Its widely assumed he is this great defender. Offensively he is a joke, but he does hold some value defensively. I can explain it if you like, after having watched him play around 200 NBA games.

hovyboo
02-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Yes Carter did a good job on defense last night, but still if I'm cutting Knicks to make roster spots I'd do it in this order

1st cut- Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter, Kelenna Azibuike

Knickrocketsfan
02-28-2011, 02:55 PM
When JJ comes none of them will play balkman or brewer. Carter earn playing time he shutdown wade

That statement does not make sense. The OP wants brewer to get a chance. How did carter earn his? Carter earn more playing time from his performance defensively, but he did not earn his initial chance

Punk
02-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Balkman and Carter has shown more energy and effort to defend bigger players. Carter shut down Wade last night.

Brewer is a stick and cannot. He will get his minutes eventually but not now.

magichatnumber9
02-28-2011, 03:02 PM
The Celtics almost invested that number 5 pick on him. I'm glad Danny came to his senses.

YankeeClipper5
02-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Yes Carter did a good job on defense last night, but still if I'm cutting Knicks to make roster spots I'd do it in this order

1st cut- Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter, Kelenna Azibuike

I'd cut Roger Mason wayyyy before any of those 3.

king4day
02-28-2011, 03:17 PM
I think part of the reason is they wanted to wait to see if he'd get traded again before the deadline.
D'Antoni will probably find time at some point to see if he could help out somewhere.

But on an offensive driven team, it's hard to believe he will seen much time unless Balkman completely ***** the bed.

BigBluN'Orange
02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
do you want an actual evaluation, defensively, for Brewer? Its widely assumed he is this great defender. Offensively he is a joke, but he does hold some value defensively. I can explain it if you like, after having watched him play around 200 NBA games.

please explain?

knicks_champ
02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
He's a fan favorite.

Fan favorite? Hmm not mine.

On topic- I think he will play next game because Mike said he wanted to play the new guys into the system. Look at Carter he did not play the first two games but played yesterday. I expect him to play soon.

Chitownhero14
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
He's a headcase and not a good ofensive player thats why he's not playing...

ewing
02-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Anthony Carter filled that role last night and got mins as a result

AddiX
02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
:laugh2: T-wolves fan here..Corey Brewer is where he belongs (on the bench)

Thank you,

Knicks fans have this weird side where we always believe there is one guy on the bench who is amazing. You would think brewer is betterbthan melo by the he is talked about in the Knicks forum.

Believe me, we never heard the end of Anthony randolph.

topdog
02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
I thought he was the 3rd most important piece of the Melo trade. He plays sg, sf and even pf. He's a solid defender and the Knicks need more bodies. Why won't D'Antoni play him?!? I'm scared the knock cut him to sign jefferies or Murphy if they can get Murphy. I'd cut Anthony Carter and Shelden " Candice Parker" Williams. Please help me understand our coach!

I have never seen him play PF and quite frankly I don't think it'd even work in D'Antoni's offense.

I'm sure he'll eventually get out there, maybe when they're gettng trashed by an opposig wing or something, but he pretty much has reached his ceiling so getting playing time isn't going to change what he can do.

topdog
02-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Thank you,

Knicks fans have this weird side where we always believe there is one guy on the bench who is amazing. You would think brewer is betterbthan melo by the he is talked about in the Knicks forum.

Believe me, we never heard the end of Anthony randolph.

Do you not think Randolph can be a pretty amazing player? Or was it just excessive chatter you're talking about? Because Randolph has shown flourishes of being a very good player while Brewer is what he is.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
please explain?

Brewer's offense is terrible, we all know this. Apparently, he doesn't however, as he still shoots 18 footers cold off the bench with 17 seconds on the shot clock, nearly taking his PF's head off. Or when he puts the ball on the floor, its a countdown to how long before he falls over.

As for his defense, Brewer excels against a certain type of player. One who catches, turns, evaluates, and THEN goes. Pierce, Beasley, these types. But if they are too strong, he just gets run over, hence why he won't guard LeBron with any efficiency.

If you use Brewer on a guy who runs through a series of screens, Brewer melts thru the picks and becomes a liability. If you use him on a player like Wade, who creates seperation within the offense from his defender, and penetrates quickly off kick outs, Brewer again becomes a liability.

Brewer will be valuable against shorter slashers, and players who are mid sized and take their time. But his defense is totally situational and can only be used against certain types. Wade and LeBron will kill him. You are better off with Carter, who physically matches up better, and won't take ill advised shots everytime he is left open.

ks32
02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Brewer's offense is terrible, we all know this. Apparently, he doesn't however, as he still shoots 18 footers cold off the bench with 17 seconds on the shot clock, nearly taking his PF's head off. Or when he puts the ball on the floor, its a countdown to how long before he falls over.

As for his defense, Brewer excels against a certain type of player. One who catches, turns, evaluates, and THEN goes. Pierce, Beasley, these types. But if they are too strong, he just gets run over, hence why he won't guard LeBron with any efficiency.

If you use Brewer on a guy who runs through a series of screens, Brewer melts thru the picks and becomes a liability. If you use him on a player like Wade, who creates seperation within the offense from his defender, and penetrates quickly off kick outs, Brewer again becomes a liability.

Brewer will be valuable against shorter slashers, and players who are mid sized and take their time. But his defense is totally situational and can only be used against certain types. Wade and LeBron will kill him. You are better off with Carter, who physically matches up better, and won't take ill advised shots everytime he is left open.

:clap:

ewing
02-28-2011, 03:44 PM

Sounds like he will never play-

AddiX
02-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Do you not think Randolph can be a pretty amazing player? Or was it just excessive chatter you're talking about? Because Randolph has shown flourishes of being a very good player while Brewer is what he is.

Honestly I don't know, he has a rep for being extremely stupid. If you ever saw his expression on the bench you can see it ain't a rumor.:D

Physically and natural talent he's probably Ranks the most upside of anyone in the league.

But when we let him play he would do things that would get your *** kicked in a street ball game. He did things in games that lead me to believe his basketball iq is freshmen high school level. I'm not even kidding.

KG4MVP
02-28-2011, 03:48 PM
I just looked at the box score from last nights game and Brewer wasnt on it. So is he not even an active player on the Knicks?

Im kind of curious to see how he plays on a new team. They should at least put him on the 12 man roster.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Honestly I don't know, he has a rep for being extremely stupid. If you ever saw his expression on the bench you can see it ain't a rumor.:D

Physically and natural talent he's probably Ranks the most upside of anyone in the league.

But when we let him play he would do things that would get your *** kicked in a street ball game. He did things in games that lead me to believe his basketball iq is freshmen high school level. I'm not even kidding.

His IQ is worriesome. You can tell he just has that blank stare. Its too bad you can't morph Brewer's work ethic and energy into Randolph's physical gifts.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Sounds like he will never play-

no, he can be used situationally. Pierce hates him. He gives Pierce all he can handle, its the exact type of player Corey excels against. But yes, if you stick him on Ray, he will melt thru pick 2 and be in the stands while Ray is stroking a 3.

BuffsFan
02-28-2011, 04:03 PM
I still think guys like Brewer and Mason deserve a chance to play with Amare, Melo and Chauncey in there to see how they mesh. Mason wasn't bad in San Antonio when he was on the court with Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker.

topdog
02-28-2011, 04:07 PM

I think anyone who has seen Randolph plays can tell his brain seems about as slow as the mud water of the bayou :p But, like you said, he has undeniable talent and hopefully a coddling coaching staff can get his feet wet and the gears turning enough to utilize that talent. We'll see...

topdog
02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I still think guys like Brewer and Mason deserve a chance to play with Amare, Melo and Chauncey in there to see how they mesh. Mason wasn't bad in San Antonio when he was on the court with Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker.

They defintely both can be useful role players when surrounded by that much talent.

Speaking positively about Brewer's offense is his ability to make good cuts and finish. It's as simple as him cutting to the basket on a double team and being rewarded with a layup which is something he definitely should be able to do with Amare and Melo.

Maybe he can improve his jumpshot a little too because it seemed like his form was better last year when he had his 20+ game 3 streak but it's more of a last resort.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Corey Brewer is arguably the worst player in the league, thats why.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Jonny Flynn called and asked why you forgot about him

D Roses Bulls
02-28-2011, 05:37 PM
because the knicks are dumb. give him to the bulls. he wasn't up for most improved last year for no reason and anyone who watched him in college a lot knew he could become a pretty damn good player if given the chance and in a decent system

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Jonny Flynn called and asked why you forgot about him

isn't he injured? he was solid last year I believe:p

Edit:checked his numbers, they're horrible

Slimsim
02-28-2011, 05:38 PM
That statement does not make sense. The OP wants brewer to get a chance. How did carter earn his? Carter earn more playing time from his performance defensively, but he did not earn his initial chance

I think Chauncey told Mike D that carter can help them defend D wade

Legitimate
02-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Sonny Weems says hi

BkOriginalOne
02-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Brewer should get time if Balkman is. I like AC, because he plays good defense and plays smart and hard, so he'll get PT, especially to spare Billups.
I really hope the Knicks keep Azibuike, I would love a backup backourt of AZ and ToneyD (for this season anyways)

CarniifeX
02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
He just got bought out.

http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ/status/42341835812765696