PDA

View Full Version : Troy Murphy - Bought Out but Can't Play in Western Conference

kblo247
02-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Murphy was and is not allowed to look at LA and Portland

Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News wrote (http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/02/27/breaking-news-warriors-buy-out-troy-murphy-and-why-its-a-wise-move/):

The Warriors have reached a buy-out agreement with Troy Murphy that will pay him less than 100% of his remaining salary, according to multiple sources.

Murphy must sign with a new team before Tuesday to remain eligible for a playoff roster. The two clear leaders for him are Miami and Boston, who both already are campaigning for a deal.

As insisted by Warriors owner Joe Lacob, one source said, Murphy agreed to sign only with an Eastern Conference team.

I've never seen that dictated in buy out before, but GSW basically told LAL and Portland who were the two teams looking at him out west FU. That means the Knicks, Magic, Heat, and Celtics have an even better chance of getting him.

Bruno
02-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Interesting considering they're buying him out for less than 100% of his contract; why agree to those terms if you're not even getting your full contracts salary in return?

kblo247
02-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Probably because they were willing to keep him according to one report to help their own chances to make the playoffs with Melo and Deron gone, as well as Gay hurt. Murphy could have helped GSW get there or else helped another west team keep them from getting there, so I guess it is a fair deal. I just think that it is a first.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Well Buss would have not sign him anyway.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-28-2011, 06:34 AM

Assman22
02-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Too bad he's only relegated to the East, he would've been perfect for the Thunder. Not many places for him to go assuming he wants to start....Bulls don't need him. Celtics could add him but Garnett plays his position. Knicks could have a solid 3,4,5 with Melo, Murphy, Amare. Heat need him badly down low but Bosh plays his position. Atlanta could use him if they move Horford to center. Magic would be the best fit for him imo.

Regardless of where he goes, he will be one of, if not, the only difference-maker to join a team via buyout and will make a big difference down the stretch and in the playoffs.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Corey
02-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Well they had no reason to buy him out, so it makes sense that they would cut a deal like this.

Everyone seems to think he's coming to Boston anyways, so he probably had no issue agreeing to that stipulation.

69centers
02-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Link (http://www.csnne.com/02/28/11/Murphys-choice-Celtics-or-Heat/v1_landing_celtics.html?blockID=429267&feedID=3945)

While it's not a done deal that Murphy will be a Celtic, all indications are pointing in that direction.

It's reportedly between the Celtics and Heat, but rumor has it he's wanted to be a Celtic all his career (he played at Notre Dame) and the Heat don't have an open spot, so someone would have to be waived. We have 3 spots available and "Murphy" would look right at home on the back of a Celtics jersey!

rapjuicer06
02-28-2011, 09:34 AM
then what are the c's going to do with green? makes no sense for them to sign murphy and just made a trade for green...

heatforlife
02-28-2011, 09:38 AM
hes going to da heat...

Me and Mr. T
02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
I've watched Troy since he was in HS at Delbarton in NJ. He dominated Morris County teams including my HS. I wasn't sure how his game was going to translate when he went to college, but he blew me away watching him at Notre Dame. I was actually excited for him to come home and play for the Nets. I'm really not sure why they never gave him any playing time and constantly made excuses why they weren't using him. He'll def help a playoff team big time.

bostncelts34
02-28-2011, 10:21 AM
then what are the c's going to do with green? makes no sense for them to sign murphy and just made a trade for green...

Well considering Green is not a true PF, yes it does.

Rondo/West
Allen/Wafer
Pierce/Green
KG/Murphy/Davis
Krystic/Davis/JO if healthy

rapjuicer06
02-28-2011, 10:31 AM

Rondo/West
Allen/Wafer
Pierce/Green
KG/Murphy/Davis

no it really doesn't. so your going to have green back up pierce who comes out of the game for a few minutes? and then not back up KG when he comes out of the game? seems like a complete waste of trading perk for a back up only player if you ask me...

hugepatsfan
02-28-2011, 10:39 AM
no it really doesn't. so your going to have green back up pierce who comes out of the game for a few minutes? and then not back up KG when he comes out of the game? seems like a complete waste of trading perk for a back up only player if you ask me...

Pierce will probably play about 33 minutes per game for the season now. That's 15 minutes per game for Green at SF. And some of those minutes (let's say 5 or so) for Pierce will be spent at SG w/ Green on the floor. So now that's 20 minutes for Green. And he'll get some time at PF as well, so he'll probably play about 25 minutes per game, maybe a bit more, for the rest of the season. Perk plays the same amount of minutes (actually less). So while they are getting a backup player, he will still likely bring more in terms of minutes played.

beasted86
02-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Pierce will probably play about 33 minutes per game for the season now. That's 15 minutes per game for Green at SF. And some of those minutes (let's say 5 or so) for Pierce will be spent at SG w/ Green on the floor. So now that's 20 minutes for Green. And he'll get some time at PF as well, so he'll probably play about 25 minutes per game, maybe a bit more, for the rest of the season. Perk plays the same amount of minutes (actually less). So while they are getting a backup player, he will still likely bring more in terms of minutes played.

Pierce at SG? since when? Pierce barely even played SG when Powe was there, and that was when he was 2-3 yrs younger.

A guy who's capable of putting up 15-16 PPG on a playoff team is not going to be limited to ~20 minutes. You also left Shaq out of the rotation completely. Is he done for the season?

Epicfailure
02-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry, this has absolutely nothing to do with the situation...but who else agrees that Troy Murphy is one goofy looking dude? He looks like a cartoon character brought to life in the flesh.

JOSKOMANG4
02-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Murphy should go to NY.

As for the Celtics, they need backcourt help. If bought out, possibly TJ Ford from Indy

justinnum1
02-28-2011, 11:15 AM
I think he goes to boston

Avenged
02-28-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing for the elite out East anyways. Boston or Miami will get him, although he hasn't done anything great this season.

Havoc Wreaker
02-28-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm sorry, this has absolutely nothing to do with the situation...but who else agrees that Troy Murphy is one goofy looking dude? He looks like a cartoon character brought to life in the flesh.
Bahaha

He kinda looks like Alice The Goon from Popeye. Google it.

hugepatsfan
02-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Pierce at SG? since when? Pierce barely even played SG when Powe was there, and that was when he was 2-3 yrs younger.

A guy who's capable of putting up 15-16 PPG on a playoff team is not going to be limited to ~20 minutes. You also left Shaq out of the rotation completely. Is he done for the season?

These are the SGs in the east teams that probably will make the playoffs:

Dahantay Jones
Keith Bogans
Landry Fields
Dwayne Wade
Joe Johnson
Jodie Meeks
Jason Richardson

The only one there that Pierce can't guard is Wade. He can definately log some minutes at SG against all of the other players there. J-Rich and JJ would be tough covers, but Pierce usually spends some time guarding those guys anyway.

And I didn't leave Shaq out of the rotation. I didn't even discuss the big man rotation. I didn't talk about Rondo either. Doesn't mean I don't think he will play.

This is what I think the playoff rotation would have been w/ Perk:

Rondo - 42 minutes
Ray - 40 minutes
Pierce - 39 minutes
KG - 33 minutes
Perk - 20 minutes

Baby - 25 minutes
Shaq - 18 minutes
Delonte - 17 minutes
Von Wafer/Anthony Parker/some other wing player - 6 minutes

This is what I think the playoff rotation will be now:

Rondo - 41 minutes
Ray - 39 minutes
Pierce - 38 minutes
KG - 34 minutes
Shaq - 22 minutes

Baby - 24 minutes
Green - 22 minutes
Delonte - 13 minutes
JO/Kristic/buyout player - 7 minutes

For the rest of the regular season though, the starters, particularly the Big 3, will have reduced minutes so there will be more time for those bench players to find their groove.

magichatnumber9
02-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Rondo/West
Allen/Wafer
Pierce/Green
KG/Murphy/Davis
This + Shaq

marlinsfan24
02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Heat need him more. But all signs say hes going to the C's.

Tarheels23
02-28-2011, 11:50 AM
If he was going to Miami the Heat need to waive someone today to clear a roster spot. Right now they have the maximum 15 garunteed contracts.

corky831
02-28-2011, 11:57 AM
he's goin to the celtics

marlinsfan24
02-28-2011, 11:58 AM
If he was going to Miami the Heat need to waive someone today to clear a roster spot. Right now they have the maximum 15 garunteed contracts.

They'd cut Magloire for him in all likelihood.

rapjuicer06
02-28-2011, 12:04 PM
heat or magic would make more sense. hell the knicks would make a lot more sense as well

Klivlend
02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Bahaha

He kinda looks like Alice The Goon from Popeye. Google it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=alice+the+goon

beasted86
02-28-2011, 12:29 PM
This is what I think the playoff rotation will be now:

Rondo - 41 minutes
Ray - 39 minutes
Pierce - 38 minutes
KG - 34 minutes
Shaq - 22 minutes

Baby - 24 minutes
Green - 22 minutes
Delonte - 13 minutes
JO/Kristic/buyout player - 7 minutes

For the rest of the regular season though, the starters, particularly the Big 3, will have reduced minutes so there will be more time for those bench players to find their groove.

So with this jam logged rotation, where would Murphy fit?

bagwell368
02-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Green is not a #4, he might have played it, but his best position in the NBA will be #3, so what's the problem?

bcc
02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Pierce has put in plenty of minutes @ SG over the years; pending the matchup. Just the other night, Center, KG and Baby, w/ Pierce at the #2. Watch a Celtic game sometime.

And Jeff Green and Troy Murphy are redundent, overlapping players? Sure, a 6'9" F who can bang a little but whose strength is on the perimeter, both offensively and defensively vs. a lumbering 6'11' guy who can hit a 15' jumper but otherwise lives under the backboard?

Yup, sounds like the same guy...

bagwell368
02-28-2011, 12:34 PM
So with this jam logged rotation, where would Murphy fit?

Jermaine is a poor bet to play. Meanwhile in the regular season, PP, RA, KG, and RR must all play less minutes then they have been, plenty of time for guys to sort themselves out.

beasted86
02-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Jermaine is a poor bet to play. Meanwhile in the regular season, PP, RA, KG, and RR must all play less minutes then they have been, plenty of time for guys to sort themselves out.

So even if you replace Jermaine and cut KG by 4 minutes down to only 30 (btw, in no way do I think playing KG only 30 minutes makes the Cs better, but :shrug:), and maybe bring Shaq down 2 minutes to 20, and... that only would leave 13 minutes at best for Murphy.

Just seems like Miami has more minutes and a bigger role to offer. Haslem's rotational minutes are wide open for Murphy, and Haslem was getting 27 per game.

BlondeBomber41
02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
This is lame. He would of been a really good fit behind Dirk. Sucks to know he isn't even an option.

Leon Powe :pray:

rapjuicer06
02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Pierce has put in plenty of minutes @ SG over the years; pending the matchup. Just the other night, Center, KG and Baby, w/ Pierce at the #2. Watch a Celtic game sometime.

And Jeff Green and Troy Murphy are redundent, overlapping players? Sure, a 6'9" F who can bang a little but whose strength is on the perimeter, both offensively and defensively vs. a lumbering 6'11' guy who can hit a 15' jumper but otherwise lives under the backboard?

Yup, sounds like the same guy...

ummm murphy is a decent 3 point shooter. i don't understand the whole under the basket thing there?? he's not really ever under the basket

The Jokemaker
02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Hopefuly he heads to either the Knicks or Celts. He'd fit very well in the NY system, big man who can shoot the 3. But in Boston he is more like to have postseason success.

beasted86
02-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Hopefuly he heads to either the Knicks or Celts. He'd fit very well in the NY system, big man who can shoot the 3. But in Boston he is more like to have postseason success.

Although he's signing for just the minimum... I tend to think he'd try working towards a new full mid-level contract with whatever team he signs with.

I don't think he's going to any team with the intention of being a rental, and knowing the team is not even going to try to offer him a long term deal.

gotoHcarolina52
02-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Exactly! It is absolutely clear at this point in the season that Boston and New York have the best outlook for postseason success out of the teams in the East.

The BodyGuard
02-28-2011, 01:43 PM

^ They should delete this post.....

:down:

The BodyGuard
02-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Green is not a #4, he might have played it, but his best position in the NBA will be #3, so what's the problem?

^ exactly, When he played in Okc he had to play the 4 because Durant played the 3

hyb152
02-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Rondo/West
Allen/Wafer
Pierce/Green
KG/Murphy/Davis

Yeah i agree it makes sense. Green is more of a swingman/hybrid 3. Murphy is a solid big man that can play the 4 and sometimes 5. He also stretches the floor with outside shooting. That's a very solid bench. Kristic, Davis/Murphy, Green, West, etc etc. Miami needs him more than Boston though lol

shep33
02-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Celts

Corey
02-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Although he's signing for just the minimum... I tend to think he'd try working towards a new full mid-level contract with whatever team he signs with.

I don't think he's going to any team with the intention of being a rental, and knowing the team is not even going to try to offer him a long term deal.

Of course he's going somewhere as a rental.

You think Murphy is going to a team right now based on next season, or winning this season?

bcc
03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
ummm murphy is a decent 3 point shooter. i don't understand the whole under the basket thing there?? he's not really ever under the basket

Huh? Murphy averaged a double-double as recently as 2 seasons ago. He's averaged over 10 REB'S a game five times during his career, despite (apparently) "not really ever under the basket." Totally unclear how anyone rebounds like that without being under the basket.
I seriously doubt he's gonna be hoisting 3's in Boston, even though he's capable of hitting a few. It's rebounding, rebounding and more rebounding. I'm quite certain Doc and Ainge went over this with him prior to signing with Boston. Either way, he and Jeff Green are hardly "overlapping" players.

tredigs
03-01-2011, 04:23 PM
He's on the Celtics. Just signed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=6170568

Wonder how many minutes he can expect to play on that squad.

Sportfan
03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
key pickup by the celtics

Chronz
03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Interesting considering they're buying him out for less than 100% of his contract; why agree to those terms if you're not even getting your full contracts salary in return?

Every buy out is for less than 100% of your salary, thats the point of a buyout. You give up money for the chance to get some PT elsewhere.