PDA

View Full Version : If you were an All-Star/superstar how much money would make you happy?

NetsPaint
02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Say you're about to come off your rookie contract, you're a big time player, would you accept/ask for a huge contract?

Being that I've never been rich, and I want to win, if I'm on a team I like, I'd want there to be room for a few more pieces. A rookie contract is very wealthy for someone such as me who never had much money, so if I was a top player I'd only accept about 5-6 million per year. Plus, if I'm a big time player I'd probably have some endorsements, or at least merchandise money. Hopefully if someone was looking at our team he'd look at my contract and think twice about what he deserves.

Obviously, the way most people talk here, you'd take a max or take a little less. For me though, 5-6 would be amazing for me, and that'd be a year. I'd even take less than that, but I'd like a couple of million or so to give to to people who need it.

So, how much a year after your rookie contract would you ask/accept?

chicago lulz
02-27-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm going for all the money I can get.

210Don
02-27-2011, 09:08 PM
if i was getting 20 mill a year id play in clev.... even though i probably wouldnt be happy loli wouldnt be a nuisance though

Gators123
02-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Everybody always wishes they had more money, so its hard to say you would be happy with 5-6 million a year.

John Walls Era
02-27-2011, 09:15 PM
If I was a superstar, I'm asking for max.

hugepatsfan
02-27-2011, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't take too much less. Even if I don't use all of the money, a bigger contract can be the difference in whether my family is set for 2 or 5 generations.

HoopsDrive
02-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Max money.

You could get seriously injured and that would be your career right there (ala Oden). You go for a max contract once and then you take less if you still don't have a ring. Special occasions may call for a reduction in salary but we're talking about the stuff that gets food on the table. You can never have enough of it.

gbpackers12
02-27-2011, 09:17 PM
If I were a Super Star, I'm getting what I deserve. It's easy to say you'd take less when you aren't in that situation, but if I have Lebron James type talent I want Lebron James type money.

NetsPaint
02-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't take too much less. Even if I don't use all of the money, a bigger contract can be the difference in whether my family is set for 2 or 5 generations.
That's true, but I also would want to keep the team in contention every year I'm there and not burden them with having to worry about contracts.

More-Than-Most
02-27-2011, 09:19 PM
It depends. If I had the opportunity to make 20 plus mill a year on a team in a small city or 15 mill a year on a top city team I would most likely take less money to play in the bigger city.

MiamiWadeCounty
02-27-2011, 09:21 PM
I would take the most money unless I was being offered minutely less to be on a winning team.

DwayneMVPwade
02-27-2011, 09:24 PM
from a winning team i would want 7-10 mill
from a bad team i would want MAX

Hoopsadvocate
02-27-2011, 09:24 PM
About tree fiddy.

ldawg
02-27-2011, 09:35 PM
max i am the money maker.

MiamiWadeCounty
02-27-2011, 09:38 PM
from a winning team i would want 7-10 mill
from a bad team i would want MAX

You would sacrifice (under this CBA) about 50million coming off a rookie contract to be on a winning team?

Sly Guy
02-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm going for all the money I can get.

yep, me too.

Mane
02-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I'd take a million flat to be on a winning team.

If I was on a perennial loser, I'd take the Max.

MickeyMgl
02-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Say you're about to come off your rookie contract, you're a big time player, would you accept/ask for a huge contract?

Being that I've never been rich, and I want to win, if I'm on a team I like, I'd want there to be room for a few more pieces. A rookie contract is very wealthy for someone such as me who never had much money, so if I was a top player I'd only accept about 5-6 million per year. Plus, if I'm a big time player I'd probably have some endorsements, or at least merchandise money. Hopefully if someone was looking at our team he'd look at my contract and think twice about what he deserves.

Obviously, the way most people talk here, you'd take a max or take a little less. For me though, 5-6 would be amazing for me, and that'd be a year. I'd even take less than that, but I'd like a couple of million or so to give to to people who need it.

I'm no fool. If I'm an All-Star/Superstar, it's because I worked damn hard at getting myself there. If they underpay me, it's only going to free them to overpay someone else. Taking anything less than 80% of full market value (and I'm stretching it with that number) is foolish.

TheGiantYankee
02-27-2011, 09:45 PM
I'd take a million flat to be on a winning team.

If I was on a perennial loser, I'd take the Max.

This seems good.

MickeyMgl
02-27-2011, 09:47 PM
That's true, but I also would want to keep the team in contention every year I'm there and not burden them with having to worry about contracts.

That's management's job. As long as you're EARNING that max contract with a professional approach to the game and representing the team well, you're presumably bringing in extra revenue and making it easier for them to spend, even if it's over the cap.

The highest paid player in the NBA is Kobe Bryant, and when you consider that, even when the team sucked, the Lakers remained #1 in attendance on the road, merchandise sales, and TV ratings - basically because of him and him alone - he actually starts to look like a bargain. Moreso once the team started winning again.

Flash3
02-27-2011, 09:50 PM
what ever my market value is and not a penny short.

lkingratedr
02-27-2011, 09:55 PM
i agree with every1 who said if my team was a contender i would take less to help my team gain those final pieces... championships bring endorsements, but if i was on a team that sucked year after year then give me the max... example if i was in los angeles id take less ... if i was in cleveland/new jersey yall better pay me for my trouble

heathonater
02-27-2011, 10:04 PM
i would accept the market value if i were an all star. definitely wouldnt take a pay cut because i would want to make sure to maximize my earnings in my career.

eibbor
02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
About tree fiddy.

YES

ty

NetsPaint
02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
That's management's job. As long as you're EARNING that max contract with a professional approach to the game and representing the team well, you're presumably bringing in extra revenue and making it easier for them to spend, even if it's over the cap.

The highest paid player in the NBA is Kobe Bryant, and when you consider that, even when the team sucked, the Lakers remained #1 in attendance on the road, merchandise sales, and TV ratings - basically because of him and him alone - he actually starts to look like a bargain. Moreso once the team started winning again.
Hey, you make good points, and if you're one of the best and is offered that much then it's your right, but there would be a lot of people who's making minimum wage salary supporting me and paying a lot to see me and pay a lot for my merchandise. I want to greaten my chances of getting those hard working fans a championship. If I'm that good I could make more money on endorsements then my contract.

Insuring your generations of family is definitely a great point and I won't argue it, but me personally I'd treat my team and fans as family.

mrblisterdundee
02-27-2011, 10:25 PM
I guess the fair thing to do would be to find the player with the highest Player Efficiency Rating (PER), take his salary per season and divide that by his PER. That would provide the dollar amount in the current season that the player gets paid for every whole unit of PER, which is directly related to how efficiently a player has been playing, he provides. If LeBron James ended the season the the highest PER (currently 26.78), he'd be getting paid $541,449 per whole unit of PER. Let's say I'm going into a new contract and have a per of 22.1. I'd get a contract for $11,966,000.

LA_Raiders
02-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Around 30M/yr... Thats Black Mambas $$$

MickeyMgl
02-28-2011, 05:24 AM
i agree with every1 who said if my team was a contender i would take less to help my team gain those final pieces... championships bring endorsements, but if i was on a team that sucked year after year then give me the max... example if i was in los angeles id take less ... if i was in cleveland/new jersey yall better pay me for my trouble

Exactly how much less would you take from the team that is more profitable (because it is contending) than you would take from the team that gets less revenue (because it is presumably rebuilding)?

MickeyMgl
02-28-2011, 05:30 AM
Around 30M/yr... Thats Black Mambas $$$

I shudder to think how much he'd be making if there were no salary cap. Makes me dizzy thinkin' about it.

Knicks21
02-28-2011, 05:45 AM

KnicksorBust
02-28-2011, 07:47 AM

I can see taking less at the end of my career when I've already played out at least one full max contract but coming off my ROOKIE DEAL, I'm not exactly set for life in this economy. You have to think of your family and financial security first. I know the difference between a $80 millon dollar contract and a $85 million dollar contract doesn't seem like a big deal to us. "Oh just throw a few million back." But it's still millions of dollars that are real and you want in the bank.

MickeyMgl
02-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Hey, you make good points, and if you're one of the best and is offered that much then it's your right, but there would be a lot of people who's making minimum wage salary supporting me and paying a lot to see me and pay a lot for my merchandise. I want to greaten my chances of getting those hard working fans a championship. If I'm that good I could make more money on endorsements then my contract.

Insuring your generations of family is definitely a great point and I won't argue it, but me personally I'd treat my team and fans as family.

You're thinking like a fan. To a fan, it's ALL about the championships. To a player - a star player who has busted his butt to work on his game and will be doing the heavy lifting toward that championship - it can be LARGELY about the championships, but it has also GOT to be about getting paid what's fair and will provide security when you are no longer able to play, and what's fair is market value, or something close to it. There's some wiggle room for a minor discount (but probably not the 20% I suggested before).

It goes both ways. Fans think owners should be willing to go in the red for championships, and that's not realistic either.

If you take the approach of walking into a front office with superstar skills and a sign that reads "WILL PLAY FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS AND PEANUTS", be sure that you'll be taken for a sucker. If you don't want your money, somebody else will gladly take it, and 9 times out of 10, it won't go where you want it to go. Championship teams can and are built without stars having to take a fraction of what they're worth. It's not their sacrifice to make. Their job is to bust their butt in practice and on the court and in the weight room and wherever else deemed relevant once they are paid. In this hypothetical scenario where I am a superstar basketball player, I'd be doing all of that.

If you asked me how much I'd be happy to win in the lottery, the $5-6 million you mention is plenty. But you're asking how much I'd accept for "superstar" skills that have a clearly defined market value, and which takes hundreds of hours of hard work to develop. That's worth way more than $5-6 million.

DJYankee
02-28-2011, 08:51 AM
I would be happy making a miliion dollars just been the 8th man

blacknell
02-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Max contract or trade me to somebody who will give it to me

PrettyBoyJ
02-28-2011, 09:09 AM

its easy to say you would take about 5-6 million but if your a top player in the league your gonna want to get paid like a top player.. I'm not saying you wouldnt but I really doubt you would take less money knowing you where worth more..Money changes everythin and changes ppl point of view once they get it

rapjuicer06
02-28-2011, 09:25 AM
well it really depends on what team your on. big market, small market. but if i'm a superstar althlete then i'm going to push harder for endorsments and sign for a little less so i become a more marketable player. i'm going to make sure i get along with the media and become an iconic figure and put my ego on the side...jordan made most of his money outside of his nba contract, and tiger woods money came from nike...thats what i'd be pushing for, and the more you win the more marketable you'll be. so i'd gladly settle for 5-7 mil a year while pulling in about 5-7 mil on the side and bring in another stud to help market the team even more and bring in more money. its a win win situation

rapjuicer06
02-28-2011, 09:28 AM
its easy to say you would take about 5-6 million but if your a top player in the league your gonna want to get paid like a top player.. I'm not saying you wouldnt but I really doubt you would take less money knowing you where worth more..Money changes everythin and changes ppl point of view once they get it

i think its different for some people. some people aren't money hungry and can def. manage on 5 mil a year. you don't need 10 cars, a 10,000 square foot house with gold toilets. you can buy a house and three cars all for less than a mil very very easily. its called smart spending and managing your money.

el_primo_nano
02-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Depends. If I have a **** load of endorsement deals, and I am making over $20-30 mil annually I wouldnt mind taking a pay cut to have better talent around me.

MVP1
02-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Considering 60,000 a year is considered "good" for the average American/Canadian, I would be happy to earn the league minimum. Players tend to get caught up on the money.

champ101695
02-28-2011, 10:41 AM
i would be happy with league min.

Heediot
02-28-2011, 10:43 AM
I'd be happy with a mill a year. but i would want fair value for my service.

NetsPaint
02-28-2011, 09:38 PM
i think its different for some people. some people aren't money hungry and can def. manage on 5 mil a year. you don't need 10 cars, a 10,000 square foot house with gold toilets. you can buy a house and three cars all for less than a mil very very easily. its called smart spending and managing your money.
Exactly. Sure I'd want to HAVE all that money, but I can use that 5-6 mil. to invest in other things to make it grow. I can start my own business with that money. Ya know, stuff like that.

It's just in my personality everybody has to understand. I rather have a cozy little house or a luxury condo/penthouse then a huge house with a ceiling I'll never touch. I'd want several homes, but one or two is good enough for me. 5-6 million per year plus endorsements is more than a enough family security. It all depends on your lifestyle. Manute Bol spent most of his money towards helping people. I'm not saying max contract player's don't donate a lot, but look at the other stuff they use their money for. A lot of it is not exactly just family security oriented. That's their right, I don't have a problem with it really.

lakeshow3peat
02-28-2011, 09:55 PM
I would sign one year deals with the max that is there to take so my team can afford a quality bench and supporting role players . As you know money can be a positive thing if its the right player and team but it can also hurt your team as we all know

pistonsfanomg
02-28-2011, 10:38 PM
10-20 Million Per Year Range