PDA

View Full Version : When creating a "Big 3," what are the most important positions?

Cubsfan365
02-26-2011, 02:24 PM
With more and more teams trying to create their own versions of "Big 3's," what are the 3 most important or best positions to fill with the 3 stars?

MelanconMadness
02-26-2011, 02:29 PM
PG
C

and then 1 of the other 3. Prefereably a 2 or 3 guard that has the ability to score (Melo, LeBron, Wade)

heattiltheend94
02-26-2011, 02:29 PM
A guard that can score, a PF who can defend, and a Center who can rebound

xnick5757
02-26-2011, 02:34 PM
1.) PG (distributor)
2.) SG/SF (shooter)
3.) PF (defensive anchor)

Donnie Brasco
02-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Point Guard to run the team and Center to control the paint

Trace
02-26-2011, 02:37 PM
A dynamic point guard i.e Chris Paul/Wall
A small forward who can get it done on both ends of the floor i.e Granger
(Didn't use James as an example because he cannot play off the ball)
A defensive anchor who is also able to score as well i.e Duncan/Dwight Howard

The BodyGuard
02-26-2011, 02:39 PM
My opinion is PG

marlinsfan24
02-26-2011, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say PG, just a guard that can facilitate would be better, ie Kobe, Wade, Rose, Rondo, etc.

Then you'd definitely need a powerful big man, preferably a center, ie. Garnett

Lastly, you'd need a knock down shooter who can hit shots when the games on the line, ie. Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, etc.

So, yes, in my post I am implying that the Celtics had the perfect gameplan on forming a big 3.

This is for the most successful big 3, I still think that the Heat big 3 will be just fine.

Storch
02-26-2011, 02:51 PM
It's really not about the position, but how well the big 3 works together.

dibacco59
02-26-2011, 02:54 PM
pg, wing, big

Chacarron
02-26-2011, 02:55 PM
PG (ballhandler)
C (Howard)
SG (like a Ray Allen)

Chacarron
02-26-2011, 02:56 PM

numba1CHANGsta
02-26-2011, 02:56 PM
u gotta have your twin towers so a PF who can score and pass the ball, and a C who can defend and rebound. Then someone on the wing either a PG/SG/SF. When Dwight goes to L.A. next year, the big three of Kobe-Pau-Dwight will be difficult for any team to stop cuz they got size, offense, defense, clutchness

mrblisterdundee
02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
There is no right "big three." It depends on who's available and what type of playing style a team uses. It also depends on the player's body type. In my opinion though, here's the most important three positions:

1. A quick point guard at least 6' tall and 200 pounds can run the offense and has an easier time getting to the hoop and making perimeter shots.

2. A quick small forward, at least 220 pounds and 6'7 to 6'8', can be the primary scorer and play three positions on the team. He's big enough to score at the rim and small enough to have good ball-handling ability.

3. A power forward, at 6'11" and at least 260 pounds, can play both forward and center positions and has the size to be a good interior defender.

In my opinion, the perfect big three would be Derrick Rose, LeBron James and Amare Stoudemire (once Dwight Howard develops a little more shooting ability, replace Stoudemire with him).

Rivera
02-26-2011, 02:59 PM
screw the positions

for a big 3 this is what i want regardless of position

slasher
shooter
low post threat

RZZZA
02-26-2011, 03:00 PM
sounds to me like you guys are saying that the Bulls have the ideal big 3 :D

a PG that can score and distribute, check
a center who can rebound and get points without having the offense filter through him, check
a PF who can post up and rebound, check

marlinsfan24
02-26-2011, 03:02 PM

a center who can rebound and get points without having the offense filter through him, check

PG: Watson
C: Scal
PF: Thomas

bovice163
02-26-2011, 03:04 PM
PG, C, PF, SF, SG in order of importance. The PG is probably the most important, needs to be able to run the offense extremely well, make shots, and make good decisions most importantly. C should be the defensive anchor, and be able to rebound, along with having a decent post-game where the ball can be thrown down low and be able to be converted. And finally an offensive minded PF that can score in bunches and rebound, while being pretty good on the defensive end. SG should just be able to hit open shots from anywhere on the floor and have a driving game ala Ray Allen. Finally, SF should be the most versatile position and be the glue guy, that can really do just about anything.

HakeemTheDream
02-26-2011, 03:05 PM
It seems like most dynasties had a do-it-all perimeter player. Bird, Magic, Jordan, Ginobili, Kobe. Jordan proved that a great center or pg isn't very important.

The only time you see a great center or pg lead his team to a championship without a do-it-all perimeter player, it turns out to be just 1 or 2 wins but never much of a dominant dynasty.

So as long as you have a very good do-it-all perimeter player, the other 2 positions don't really matter but it would probably be best if at least 1 was a big man unless you're Jordan.

Trace
02-26-2011, 03:10 PM

You're underrating Luol Deng, he seems to be one of your best defensive players. :)

RZZZA
02-26-2011, 03:11 PM
You're underrating Luol Deng, he seems to be one of your best defensive players. :)

yeah I am, but the topic is big 3, not big 4 :)

Raph12
02-26-2011, 03:15 PM
The ideal situation would be; PG, big man and wing...

Rafer17
02-26-2011, 03:15 PM
PG/SF/C

or

SG/SF/PF

210Don
02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Tony Parker,Manu Ginobili & Tim Duncan
PERFECTION.

numba1CHANGsta
02-26-2011, 03:30 PM
It seems like most dynasties had a do-it-all perimeter player. Bird, Magic, Jordan, Ginobili, Kobe. Jordan proved that a great center or pg isn't very important.

The only time you see a great center or pg lead his team to a championship without a do-it-all perimeter player, it turns out to be just 1 or 2 wins but never much of a dominant dynasty.

So as long as you have a very good do-it-all perimeter player, the other 2 positions don't really matter but it would probably be best if at least 1 was a big man unless you're Jordan.

in most cases u do need a BIG, Bird had Mchale, Magic had Kareem, Ginobili had Duncan, Kobe had Shaq and Pau/Bynum, Jordan did it with Pippen and Rodman, then u look at the other teams that won championships like Wade needing Shaq, KG need Ray and Pierce, Hakeem did it with a good supporting cast, u look at every team and there is at least a really good "big" on the team someone who can play D and rebound so having a big is very important in most cases. The PG position is the least important position IMO u gotta have either a superstar at SG/SF and a PF/C

Trace
02-26-2011, 03:46 PM
in most cases u do need a BIG, Bird had Mchale, Magic had Kareem, Ginobili had Duncan, Kobe had Shaq and Pau/Bynum, Jordan did it with Pippen and Rodman, then u look at the other teams that won championships like Wade needing Shaq, KG need Ray and Pierce, Hakeem did it with a good supporting cast, u look at every team and there is at least a really good "big" on the team someone who can play D and rebound so having a big is very important in most cases. The PG position is the least important position IMO u gotta have either a superstar at SG/SF and a PF/C

Yeah superstar PGs have rarely lead their teams to championships but for me it's just more entertaining. :)

Crackadalic
02-26-2011, 03:51 PM
A playmaking guard that plays D, a dynamic wing player either a shooter or slasher and a dominant big man

FOBolous
02-26-2011, 03:55 PM
i wouldn't pinpoint to a specific position persay but just players that fit these rolls:

- a ball handler..doesn't have to be a distributor/scorer
- a defender/scorer
- a big who can anchor the defense in the middle

PhillySportFan
02-26-2011, 03:56 PM
PG-a good distributor
SF-slasher/ball handler/playmaker
C-defensive/rebounding presence with some what offensive game with a 2 pt jumper (ideally)

Reversed86Curse
02-26-2011, 03:56 PM
screw the positions

for a big 3 this is what i want regardless of position

slasher
shooter
low post threat

This right here

DR_1
02-26-2011, 04:00 PM
A guard that can score, a PF who can defend, and a Center who can rebound

Read: Chicago Bulls (well, maybe not the defense PF)

DR_1
02-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Anyway, I would say Point Guard, a wing who can score and defend, and a low-post scorer.

h2r09
02-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Star pg who can shoot, scoring wing player that is good defensively and a big guy who has the flexibility to guard pf's and c's as well as score in the low post.

footballer2369
02-26-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say that positions are not important in the alignment of the big 3 but roles are.

If you can get an anchor/post scorer, a distributor, and a scorer/shooter, you're set.

For example, a Dwight would be great, but a KG/Duncan at PF would be nearly as effective in the trio. A CP3 would be nice, but a Lebron, who can distribute while guarding positions 1-5 and scoring efficiently, would be even better.

blastmasta26
02-26-2011, 04:42 PM
distributor, scoring wing, defending/rebounding big man. So PG, SG/SF, C is ideal. Player wise, that would probably be Chris Paul/Deron Williams, Kevin Durant, Dwight Howard.

gbrl
02-26-2011, 06:53 PM
slasher, spot up shooter and inside presence

topdog
02-26-2011, 07:12 PM
PG
SG
Legit big (doesn't matter if it's PF or C)

but actually like guys said before it doesn't really matter the position but I gotta emphasize having a shooter and a solid big.

YoungOne
02-26-2011, 07:16 PM
pg, scoring swingman and a post up 7 footer

hugepatsfan
02-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Distributing PG that can space the floor when he doesn't have the ball

SG/SF that can excell not only as an iso player, but also as an off ball scorer - that means spot up shots and cuts to the basket

PF/C that has both a good offensive low post game and a mid range jumper for floor spacing reasons

And of course, all of 3 them ideally could defend well. But it is important that the PF/C in particualr is a great defensive player so he can anchor the defense.

No one in the NBA has a Big 3 like this right now. NY might if they get CP3, but they won't have the defensive anchor.

YoungOne
02-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Distributing PG that can space the floor when he doesn't have the ball

SG/SF that can excell not only as an iso player, but also as an off ball scorer - that means spot up shots and cuts to the basket

PF/C that has both a good offensive low post game and a mid range jumper for floor spacing reasons

And of course, all of 3 them ideally could defend well. But it is important that the PF/C in particualr is a great defensive player so he can anchor the defense.

No one in the NBA has a Big 3 like this right now. NY might if they get CP3, but they won't have the defensive anchor.

celtics and spurs are the closest

mjqusoldier
02-26-2011, 07:26 PM
a pg who has veteran experience and is a winner like a Chauncey Billups type

a small forward that can score many different ways like a Carmelo Anthony type

and a power forward that wears goggles and can score on you and dunk on you like an Amare Stoudemire type

lol

Avenged
02-26-2011, 07:37 PM
If you have a big 3, generally that means they have the talent to win it all. Chemistry, willing to sacrifice, and unite as a team collectively are major factors. Teams have to make sure they also have the perfect complimentary role players to do the dirty work.

Jewelz0376
02-26-2011, 07:45 PM
My ideal would be would pg, a wing, and big...pretty simple..

bmd1101
02-26-2011, 07:54 PM
PG
C

and then 1 of the other 3. Prefereably a 2 or 3 guard that has the ability to score (Melo, LeBron, Wade)

Eh, PG isn't that important. Bigtime pg's don't win many chips anymore. Most run their offense out of a Wing player ISO and/or P&R, a scoring big man, and a perimeter shooter is your best bet.

BkOriginalOne
02-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Not so much positions, more like skills.
You need a shooter, an isolation player who can make plays, and intangible, defensive minded do it all player.
But, purely in positional terms.
I would say, the best ways are

The celtics method
SG - Shooter
SF - iso
PF - defense

The rest can be filled with complimentary PGs and Center (A la Rondo and Perkins)

OR the Utah Jazz, Bulls method
PG - Multi Talnted Distributor
PF - Finisher
C - Tall Rebounder, Shot Blocker

The rest of the lineup has to be defensive and 3 point shooting. Then it's all pick and rolls from there.

FOBolous
02-26-2011, 08:06 PM
a pg who has veteran experience and is a winner like a Chauncey Billups type

a small forward that can score many different ways like a Carmelo Anthony type

and a power forward that wears goggles and can score on you and dunk on you like an Amare Stoudemire type

lol

too bad amare doesn't fit the requirement of being good on defense. all the bigs that ever played for championship teams are, at the very least, good rebounders and defenders. see: Tim Duncan, Shaq, Ben Wallace, Hakeem, Dennis Rodman, Kareem, ect ect ect.

pedrofan45
02-26-2011, 08:08 PM
my dream big 3

Rondo
Durant
D12

To be honest I feel like Durant would be a lot better if he didn't have Westbrook. Rondo and Durant would just be :drool: D12 center for obvious reasons.

mjqusoldier
02-26-2011, 08:15 PM
too bad amare doesn't fit the requirement of being good on defense. all the bigs that ever played for championship teams are, at the very least, good rebounders and defenders. see: Tim Duncan, Shaq, Ben Wallace, Hakeem, Dennis Rodman, Kareem, ect ect ect.

Hes decent on defense. Hell get better on D now that we have Melo he can be more agressive because he doesnt have to worry about staying on the floor by being lazy and avoiding fouls. Hes a very good shotblocker though.

bmd1101
02-26-2011, 08:19 PM
celtics and spurs are the closest

Rondo doesn't space the floor when he's off the ball sorry, he cant shoot.

gilly
02-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I think you need a scorer, a defensive anchor and a facilitator to run the offense. I think SG/PG, SF and C.

Rndy
02-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Hes decent on defense. Hell get better on D now that we have Melo he can be more agressive because he doesnt have to worry about staying on the floor by being lazy and avoiding fouls. Hes a very good shotblocker though.

Amare is a good shot blocker. But he's never been a good defensive player at all. Your logic for that doesn't really make much sense to me. He has never been good at defense unless he's hiding his true defensive talents so he doesn't get fouled out? I seriously doubt thats the case. I sure as hell wouldn't want him as one of my big three though. His rebounding is atrocious.

bmd1101
02-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Amare is a good shot blocker. But he's never been a good defensive player at all. Your logic for that doesn't really make much sense to me. He has never been good at defense unless he's hiding his true defensive talents so he doesn't get fouled out? I seriously doubt thats the case. I sure as hell wouldn't want him as one of my big three though. His rebounding is atrocious.

Agreed, defensively he isn't that great, but he's still a viable option in a scenario like this just not an optimal one.

SANDBURG23
02-26-2011, 08:43 PM
With more and more teams trying to create their own versions of "Big 3's," what are the 3 most important or best positions to fill with the 3 stars?

Doesn't really matter as long as they all play up to a talent level of a "Big 3". If there all 3 all-stars and play diffrent position & well together, there positions don't matter. Just needs to be 3 diffrent positions. Even though through history most title winners seem to have had a C as part of there "Big 3", but not all.

Revising as I look only the Bulls & Detroit pulled off winning a title w/o the C as part of the "Big 3". I'm saying C is most important, even though it can be done w/o one, all in the last 20 years too.

PurpleJesus28
02-26-2011, 08:44 PM
PG, defensive - C, and either SG/SF. if you have scoring-type PG id go more defensive SF, if you have a facilitator-esque PG, id go scoring SG.

bagwell368
02-26-2011, 08:55 PM

Easier to back fill #2's and #3's then the other positions.

The Celts had a 4, 3. 2 all willing to tune down the offense to fit together. Miami is inherently unstable because you have alpha's at the #3 and #1 (or 1/2), and a non defensive, non tough, unable to get enough rebounds to supply his own offense big. After two more years when they get some mid level guys in their, a bench, and continuity, they'll be better.

SANDBURG23
02-26-2011, 09:02 PM

Easier to back fill #2's and #3's then the other positions.

The Celts had a 4, 3. 2 all willing to tune down the offense to fit together. Miami is inherently unstable because you have alpha's at the #3 and #1 (or 1/2), and a non defensive, non tough, unable to get enough rebounds to supply his own offense big. After two more years when they get some mid level guys in their, a bench, and continuity, they'll be better.

Was the Celtics really just a "Big 3" what about Rondo.

SANDBURG23
02-26-2011, 09:06 PM
my dream big 3

Rondo
Durant
D12

To be honest I feel like Durant would be a lot better if he didn't have Westbrook. Rondo and Durant would just be :drool: D12 center for obvious reasons.

What about Rose LeBron Howard

prodigy
02-26-2011, 09:08 PM
PG- Controls everything.

SF- Big time scorer.

C- Great down low and great defender.

yankeesown69
02-26-2011, 09:11 PM
guard with handles/passing ability, a wing scorer and a big that finishes in the paint and eases the scoring load but also protects the paint defensively.

dbramforskins21
02-26-2011, 09:12 PM
If your creating a big 3, you want a PG,SF, and a C. You need that main ball handler playermaker at the one, and then I see SF as a position for athletic freaks that are normally big,fast, strong. Then you need a animal inside and someone to depend on to guard the post. If I were creating one, I'd go Rose,Bron, D12.

believeinNYK
02-26-2011, 09:36 PM
An ideal big 3 would be an elite
Pg- who can distribute/dynamic/ can score as well
Pf/C- good defender, post scorer
Wingplayer(sg/sf)- someone who can score, take big shots, do well on both sides of the court and you can trust to carry your team at times

PAOboston
02-26-2011, 10:58 PM
quite honestly, you can have any combination of the big 3 imo (position wise that is). but the key to their success has to be in how they mesh together and integrate/sacrifice part of their games for the better of them.

ClipperfanKevin
02-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Positions or no, you need 3 guys who can score the rock, 2 guys who can create and distribute, 2 guys who can rebound, and someone down low to block shots.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-26-2011, 11:08 PM
One guard, one forward and one center.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-27-2011, 12:53 AM
idk this is just my opinion put i would say a PG and a C...i think those are the 2 most important positions in the game.

Kyben36
02-27-2011, 01:26 AM
I like the mix of PG C and SF personaly, but here is my big.

1st, you need a defensive big, like KG. thats the first piece,

2nd pice is you need somebody who can create, somebody like Peirce or rondo

3rd peice is role players, such as Ray allen ( allstar but realy a good role playing SG who scores in bunches to fill in the other areas.

$ NyC $
02-27-2011, 01:43 AM
Center
Small Foward
PG

el_primo_nano
02-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Great PG, SG, and PF/Center. You need a floor general, a great shooter, and a great big man...

mttwlsn16
02-27-2011, 04:06 PM
wade, lebum, and rupaul