PDA

View Full Version : why isnt there more hype about john wall??

AI4MVP
02-26-2011, 04:36 AM
the dude is averaging 9 assists per game as a rookie. noone gives a **** about assists anymore. this guys will be averaging 23 and 12 SOON

abe_froman
02-26-2011, 04:40 AM
his team is sucking,he was injured and griff came out to steal the rookie class headline.

Gators123
02-26-2011, 04:40 AM
Probably because there isn't many Wizard fans on here to hype him up.

He's a stud. He will definitely be an All-Star in the next couple of seasons.

Raph12
02-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Two words... "Blake" & "Griffin"

John Walls Era
02-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Because the only rookie the NBA cares about is Blake Griffin. Funny enough the Clipper are still brutal. I rather see Landry Fields win Roy than Blake Griffin. Putting up stats, but can't even get Ws (say the same thing for Wall, but I never said Wall should win Roy and also Griffin has a better supporting cast).

GreekFreak
02-26-2011, 05:01 AM
Because Blake Griffin is the most over-hyped player in the NBA and steals all the hype from Wall.

ClipperfanKevin
02-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Because the only rookie the NBA cares about is Blake Griffin. Funny enough the Clipper are still brutal. I rather see Landry Fields win Roy than Blake Griffin. Putting up stats, but can't even get Ws (say the same thing for Wall, but I never said Wall should win Roy and also Griffin has a better supporting cast).

Go cry more. If Fields had to do the things that Blake and Wall have to do for their teams, Fields likely wouldn't even be mentioned among the top 10 rookies. Stop hating..

Kyben36
02-26-2011, 05:14 AM
One word, Blake Griffin, thats the only reason why, W/O griffin, wall would be in talks like Lebron was as a rok.

Avenged
02-26-2011, 05:17 AM
There are a lot of great point guards that overshadow Wall. Not to mention nobody really talks about rookies as much, and with Blake getting all the hype, all the talk goes his way.

UnWantedTheory
02-26-2011, 05:40 AM
his team is sucking,he was injured and griff came out to steal the rookie class headline.

^

ragee
02-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Because of a guy named Blake Griffin...

iFYouSeekAmy
02-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Blake Griffin. I swear he's overrated now. ESPN has officially hopped the Griffin bandwagon.

CavsYanksDuke
02-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Terrible team? Injuries? PG's historically take a while to adjust to the NBA speed. Not only do they have to learn to adjust and train their speed, but they have to make responsible, tactful decisions while going 100 mph with hands in your face.

Maybe they'll catch a lucky draft pick, but with the lockout looming, it's not like Wall's anywhere close to making the playoffs. Griffin on the other hand...

Bulls_fan90
02-26-2011, 07:00 AM
- Blake Griffin
- The fact that the league has so many awesome young point guards
- Small fan base
- Injuries
- Team not winning

IBleedPurple
02-26-2011, 07:23 AM
Good question, great to watch him play....it's just the other Wizards players that make it nearly unwatchable

Supa
02-26-2011, 07:32 AM
He was ultra hyped coming to the league, and has yet live up to that hype.

Why should there be more hype?

---

Mane
02-26-2011, 07:38 AM
He was ultra hyped coming to the league, and has yet live up to that hype.

Why should there be more hype?

---

How has he not lived up to the hype? Have you watched him??

Supa
02-26-2011, 08:46 AM
How has he not lived up to the hype? Have you watched him??

For a highly touted #1 pick, so far he is underwhelming.

He is shooting 40.9% and doesn't seem to jump as high as he was in high school.

---

MickeyMgl
02-26-2011, 09:00 AM
the dude is averaging 9 assists per game as a rookie. noone gives a **** about assists anymore. this guys will be averaging 23 and 12 SOON

Are you kidding? There's been nothing but hype. OK, not "nothing but", because he's obviously good, but he does not lack for hype. But he's missed at least a dozen games this season. And his team sucks. There's plenty of reasons why the hype that preceded him has died down. But there was hype.

Purple Monkey
02-26-2011, 09:40 AM
david stern, and the bs, crooked, rigged, nba. if wall was in L.A. he would be rookie of the year. if it isnt L.A. or N.Y. stern doesnt want success because it doesnt spotlight the league as much. i love basketball, but the nba is as crooked as they come.

Yanks All Day
02-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Look at the competition. There are far more young, exciting point guards in the league than there are exciting power forwards. Wall's season is solid, but not spectacular, and the Wizards are losing. Young guys like Rose and Rondo are tearing the league apart and have their teams locked in to top 3 seeds, and people still love to watch the more experienced PGs like D-Will and CP3 play. On the other hand, Griffin's competition at PF is much less exciting. Guys like Duncan and Garnett are all time greats and people know what they're getting. Younger PFs like Love and Blair are very good, but hardly exciting to watch. Blake is a show every time he steps on the court.

heatfan03
02-26-2011, 10:27 AM
the guy is so fast. there was 2 fast breaks last night against the heat (my team) where he made lebron look slow. something I have never seen before. he made some great drives and passes too.

Ive watched him alot this season and he is really good. Steve Nash good maybe? I dont know

mikealike305
02-26-2011, 10:27 AM
question is... should there be more hype about him?

TheDiggler
02-26-2011, 10:44 AM
I agree. John Wall could drop 30 10 10 and nobody would care. Blake Griffin get OVERHYPED above every other rookie. Blake could dish out 10 ppg 4rpg at 30% FG and would still be "everybodys" darling. No offense to the Clippers or Blake, but it's getting a bit much.

John Wall though plays on a whacky team and has still to mature his game. He had a triple-double game because of 11 turnovers (about 4 weeks ago?) and just doesn't dunk all game long. Maybe John Wall doesn't get great media-attention, but I have no doubt players, organizations and coaches have him on the radar.

If I would be a Wizard fan ... I would be happy, media isn't making that much theatre and pressure around my new rookie-future-franchise-player. Enjoy him Washington. As a basketball-fan. I do, too !

h2r09
02-26-2011, 11:04 AM
after being at the heat wiz game last night, this kid is going to be a bonafide superstar in 2 years. He is the single fastest player ive ever seen, is a great passer, and will be a superstar when he hits shots with consistently. He will be rajon rondo with a really good offensive game and outside shot.

Steelers23_06
02-26-2011, 11:15 AM
i think its funny that this thread is up because just the other day i was watching a clippers game and ALL they were talking about was blake griffin. my girl was sitting next to me on the laptop and she goes"why do they talk about blake griffin so much, all they do is talk about him". i feel like they want to sell him sooo bad. its like when you have a fat girl that turns skinny and sexy you want the world to know you picked the right one. i feel like since his injury they were skeptical and had doubts but now that he looks good the nba (espn too) has too rub it in everyones face that he's good. but when a person that aint even a basketball fan notices that your talking a player up too much you have a problem. its not like im trying to say he has no talent im just saying they dont need to say how amazing he is before every commercial break and timeout...just let his game do the talking.

The BodyGuard
02-26-2011, 11:21 AM

^ This

Blake Griffin took his spotlight

DwayneMVPwade
02-26-2011, 11:38 AM

this, agreed 100%

AI4MVP
02-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Based on his rookie year, John Wall obviously has a chance to be the best point guard in the NBA and noone is talking about it. Hes putting up 16 and 9, which is better then the rookie years of deron, cp3, rose, rondo. i actually do not remember the last time a rookie put up 9 assists. I am expecting it with Rubio next year, but to be completely honest I did not see it coming with John Wall. Im pleasantly surprised. I thought he was going to be another one of those point guards that just wants to score. but 9 assists per game? along with the leadership ability and killer instinct that hes shown, Im very impressed, and quite frankly, scared.

bovice163
02-26-2011, 12:36 PM

This. He can put up some damn good statlines, but it doesn't really lead his team to wins. Don't get me wrong, he will be an incredible player, but it will take some time for him to polish up some of his skills.

footballer2369
02-26-2011, 12:49 PM
They're to busy hyping Rose and Griffin.

Ragan
02-26-2011, 12:58 PM
I agree that Wall is a stud and is just overshadowed by Griffin, but why some much Griffin hate? Dude is averaging 23/13 as a rookie and is one of the most exciting players to come into the league in years, I'd say he's earned the hype. Does he get crazy hype and take it away from Wall? Yes. Is he overrated? Boy, I dunno, he is really good...

JRisdabest
02-26-2011, 01:03 PM
blake griffin ...nuff said

iliketurtles24
02-26-2011, 01:08 PM
looks like the general consensus is blake griffen takes all the hype, hhmmmmm thats surprising

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-26-2011, 01:33 PM
one word.........

GRIFFIN.

Lake_Show2416
02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
4 reasons

he averages 4 turnovers a game
he shoots 40% from the field
he plays on wizards, who are rarely televised
Blake Griffin

ClayMatthews
02-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Hes a PG he should get that many assists..

Rafer17
02-26-2011, 01:44 PM
1) Blake Griffin
2) Wizards suck
3) There are ALOT of good PGs in the league now
4) He's a rookie....

RZZZA
02-26-2011, 01:45 PM
They're to busy hyping Rose and Griffin.

dude, you are dumb if you think Rose is hyped at all. He's merely being talked about due to his accomplishments this season. Hype is when you're talked about despite having no accomplishments, like Blake Griffin.

Wall picked a bad time to be a promising young PG, the league is stacked with great young PGs right now, and Wall is not leading his team to victories so thats why he isn't talked about as much.

AI4MVP
02-26-2011, 02:05 PM
its not like blake is rackin up the victories either..

xbrackattackx
02-26-2011, 02:08 PM
- Blake Griffin
- Small fan base
- Injuries
- Team not winning

This.

I think he is very skilled and when he gets more expierence and makes smarter plays he will be scary.

ramz.n
02-26-2011, 02:24 PM
obviously in the main forum noone is going to hype about them, typical responses would be "oh heres a john wall man crush fan "...in the wizards forum, there are plenty of people who praise him..but yes griffin stole the show this year, single handily made a name for himself against the knicks with some highlight dunks.

footballer2369
02-26-2011, 02:26 PM
dude, you are dumb if you think Rose is hyped at all. He's merely being talked about due to his accomplishments this season. Hype is when you're talked about despite having no accomplishments, like Blake Griffin.

Wall picked a bad time to be a promising young PG, the league is stacked with great young PGs right now, and Wall is not leading his team to victories so thats why he isn't talked about as much.

Rose is hyped. It's Durant's last season all over again.

John Walls Era
02-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Go cry more. If Fields had to do the things that Blake and Wall have to do for their teams, Fields likely wouldn't even be mentioned among the top 10 rookies. Stop hating..

:laugh2: UMAD

But everything I said was 100% true, sorry if you had to face the truth some time.

hotpotato1092
02-26-2011, 02:35 PM
I watched him last night in Miami, and man he is fantastic. He's like a cross between Allen Iverson and Chris Paul. I think he's gonna be special.

nitric
02-26-2011, 02:46 PM
He's getting assists and is shooting an awful percent. I mean Landy Fields and Cousins have been ahead of him in the rookie rankings for many sites this year.

Dnovakovic099
02-26-2011, 02:51 PM

But everything I said was 100% true, sorry if you had to face the truth some time.

What is your problem? You think Landry Fields should be ROY even though his team is fighting to be above five hundred and he has an MVP candidate on his team? Put Fields on the Clippers and take out Griffin and they are worse than the Cavs.

For all of you hating on Griffin. Please just look at his stats. I know he dosen't play much defense, but neither did Rose or LeBron their rookie years. Also, the Clippers aren't losing because of Griffin. They are loosing because they are the Clippers. Right now Griffin is just better than Wall. I don't think anyone can argue Wall is a better player right now by watching them play and comparing their stats.

Chacarron
02-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Mane hasn't been hyping him up like he is with Nick Young.

mrblisterdundee
02-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I'll give you a hint: he's big, mulatto and likes to dunk.

GreekFreak
02-26-2011, 03:04 PM
It's because Nick Young's hair is so nice thats all anyone wants to talk about when it comes to the Wizards :).

The Final Boss
02-26-2011, 03:23 PM

Because ignorant people like you raise questions like this only to have a sig. of star PG's of the past present and future only to leave out Wall. But you conveniently include Rubio who has never played on an NBA floor.

John Walls Era
02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
What is your problem? You think Landry Fields should be ROY even though his team is fighting to be above five hundred and he has an MVP candidate on his team? Put Fields on the Clippers and take out Griffin and they are worse than the Cavs.

For all of you hating on Griffin. Please just look at his stats. I know he dosen't play much defense, but neither did Rose or LeBron their rookie years. Also, the Clippers aren't losing because of Griffin. They are loosing because they are the Clippers. Right now Griffin is just better than Wall. I don't think anyone can argue Wall is a better player right now by watching them play and comparing their stats.

ok. I didn't say Griffin was bad. I just said he wasn't helping the Clippers win. Clippers have a solid team....

Lim
02-26-2011, 03:37 PM
cuz the guy cant shoot for **** and turns the ball over like its his job

footballer2369
02-26-2011, 03:43 PM
The guy is really amazing to watch, though, I'll give him that. And he's a better passer than most of these hyped, young PGs.

papipapsmanny
02-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Who knows....

All I know is the dude is improving by the day, kind of wish he didn't get injured.

But he has been increasing his assists, his shot is already improving and he is really mature for a guy who is barely not a teenager anymore.

The NBA already wrote the script to have blake griffin be much bigger than he is. I was a huge Griffin supporter in college, but his game is so darn simple (while good at it) it is simple (not in easy but he does that same exact thing everytime)

papipapsmanny
02-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Oh yea to compare rookie seasons, Wall has more assits per game then any of Westbrook, Williams, Rose, Rondo, and Paul.

The only 2 to outscore him per game are rose and Paul, and by like a half a point. Plus there is still the rest of the season to play, maybe wall outscores and out assists all 5 of those guys' rookie years if all goes well.

Chronz
02-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Just inconsistencies but every game I watch he's awesome, I just hope I don't grow annoyed with him the same way I did with rose due to all the fan boys

Doogolas
02-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Because Wall sucks at everything except passing?

RZZZA
02-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Just inconsistencies but every game I watch he's awesome, I just hope I don't grow annoyed with him the same way I did with rose due to all the fan boys

You don't know what it's like in this city man...you don't understand the level of happiness people feel for having Rose and coach Thibs leading us with the most viable team we've had since 1998.

Look at how Knicks fans went absolutely crazy for melo, its the same level of desperation and urge for relevancy again, in two towns that are real big on basketball to not have a team thats worthy of mention for more than 10 years really builds up the frustration.

xxcubs22xx
02-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Because John Wall dances like a homosexual.

Seriously...Who does that whole bicep-flexing thing? JW ain't even strong

NYtilIdie
02-26-2011, 05:32 PM
You don't know what it's like in this city man...you don't understand the level of happiness people feel for having Rose and coach Thibs leading us with the most viable team we've had since 1998.

Look at how Knicks fans went absolutely crazy for melo, its the same level of desperation and urge for relevancy again, in two towns that are real big on basketball to not have a team thats worthy of mention for more than 10 years really builds up the frustration.

Hmmm, never thought of it that way to be honest. Thats a good point.

lasthe
02-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Because he plays for the Wizards is why

papipapsmanny
02-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Because he plays for the Wizards is why

They need a name change seriously

Either Way at seasons end me may have better rookie season them Rose, Westbrook, Paul, rondo, and Williams..... thats saying something

Gram
02-26-2011, 06:14 PM
John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Patterson, Daniel Orton, and DeMarcus Cousins to the Pistons tomorrow I heard. Maybe then will he get some hype. :D

ClipperfanKevin
02-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Am I mad? Nah homie, sounds like UMAD. ROY doesn't go to an efficient role player, never has, never will. Put Blake as a 4th option on the team and he'd be shooting 80% from the field.

ClipperfanKevin
02-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Fact of the matter is, really good rookies go to really bad teams, and wins don't matter in ROY race because rookies are not expected to know how to carry a team, it takes experience and chemistry to win in this league.

Sixerlover
02-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Because he was hurt, when he went down Blake Griffin turned into the force he's become stat wise, so Wall was put on the back burner for now

unleashthebeast
02-26-2011, 06:35 PM

x2

greenbaythunder
02-26-2011, 07:28 PM
out of the top 10 pgs who all have had worst supporting cast they rookie yr????

The Final Boss
02-26-2011, 07:39 PM
The Chicago Bulls have only won one Division Title without Michael Jordan on the roster. So for people to say the Bulls have been irrelevant for 10 seasons is an understatement. Try 90% of the franchise's existence as irrelevant.

BkOriginalOne
02-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Because by 2012, Wall will be the 5th best PG in the east.
Rose
Williams
Rondo
Paul
Wall?

Shareeb_omac2
02-26-2011, 07:44 PM
The fact that John Wall is averaging 9 assists with the roster they have says a lot more than any excuse you guys have.

Steelers23_06
02-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Based on his rookie year, John Wall obviously has a chance to be the best point guard in the NBA and noone is talking about it. Hes putting up 16 and 9, which is better then the rookie years of deron, cp3, rose, rondo. i actually do not remember the last time a rookie put up 9 assists. I am expecting it with Rubio next year, but to be completely honest I did not see it coming with John Wall. Im pleasantly surprised. I thought he was going to be another one of those point guards that just wants to score. but 9 assists per game? along with the leadership ability and killer instinct that hes shown, Im very impressed, and quite frankly, scared.

lets be real :rolleyes:

Chi StateOfMind
02-26-2011, 08:01 PM

this and the wizards suck and he's been hurt

Shareeb_omac2
02-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Rose
Williams
Rondo
Paul
Wall?

Funny thing is, is that he is already a better POINT GUARD than Rose. Wall could possible be the best PG in the league in 2 years.

Steelers23_06
02-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Rose
Williams
Rondo
Paul
Wall?

negative.
rose
wall-16&9 is beasty plus hes 6th in the league in assists as a rookie.)
paul-if all goes according to plan...think about who hes playing with)
williams-its crazy to have him at fourth but i dont see him being better than any of them
rondo-big three are on their way out so unless big moves happen who is he going to make those blissful passes to? jeff green :eyebrow:

Azzacadabra
02-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Maybe being the quote unquote 'underdog' will beatify his motivation. The guy has perennial all-star written all over him.

Shareeb_omac2
02-26-2011, 08:11 PM
He's only missed 12 games and hasn't missed a game since December. So, health isn't an issue now...

I want everyone to think of their top 5 PGs in the league, look at their stats their rookie year and compare them to Wall's. Next, thing you need to do is compare Wall's roster to those 5 players rosters their rookie year.

Wall undeniably is going to be great after he develops and gets talent around him.

Steelers23_06
02-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Funny thing is, is that he is already a better POINT GUARD than Rose. Wall could possible be the best PG in the league in 2 years.

i dont agree with that. just because he has a different style of a point guard you cant take that away from his game. what is his position im pretty sure its a pg so who are you to say who is a point guard. i wish you would say to anyone with sports knowledge that he is a better POINT GUARD...no matter what font you do it he is not better than rose...haha this guy

Shareeb_omac2
02-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Wall in his first year is a better passer and play maker than Rose. Don't get me wrong Rose is the better player. But, Rose isn't developing like a true point guard. Yes, his assists have gone up but his turnovers are rising each year.

That's why I was pointing out he's the better POINT GUARD... because he's obviously not the better player at this point in his career.

ghettosean
02-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Ummmmmmmmmm isn't it obvious... 2 words...

BLAKE GRIFFIN!

Doogolas
02-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Wall in his first year is a better passer and play maker than Rose. Don't get me wrong Rose is the better player. But, Rose isn't developing like a true point guard. Yes, his assists have gone up but his turnovers are rising each year.

That's why I was pointing out he's the better POINT GUARD... because he's obviously not the better player at this point in his career.

There is no such thing as a "true point guard".

Sixerlover
02-26-2011, 09:13 PM
There is no such thing as a "true point guard".

:shush:

Let people think the opposite and be "true basketball fans"

heattiltheend94
02-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Blake Griffin. I swear he's overrated now. ESPN has officially hopped the Griffin bandwagon.

yes. I really liked Blake Griffin, but ESPN has sucked his D too much. I try to be unbiased and I still like him, but honestly, he is a top 25, maybe top 20, but ESPN is making him to be the a top 3

NYMetros
02-26-2011, 09:27 PM
I love watching Wall play. He can go coast to coast faster than anyone else in the league. He needs to become better at finishing though.

LakersA's49ers
02-26-2011, 09:36 PM
- Blake Griffin
- Small fan base
- Injuries
- Team not winning

GREAT sig my brotha

drobe86
02-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Wall has been pretty good, but I'm not sure he is what people think he wil be... He's a walking turnover with no jumpshot. Sure, he puts up numbers but he plays for the Wizards. Somebody has to do it.... He's the Eastern Conference version of Kevin Love...

ClipperfanKevin
02-26-2011, 10:26 PM
yes. I really liked Blake Griffin, but ESPN has sucked his D too much. I try to be unbiased and I still like him, but honestly, he is a top 25, maybe top 20, but ESPN is making him to be the a top 3

Sure Blake isn't a top defender, but neither was Lebron when he first came into the league. The kid is a rookie, being a top 25 player as a rookie is pretty damn solid. Blake is a really smart kid, once he figures out how to use his body more efficiently defensively against bigger post players, and figures out little guys moves and timing, he'll be a solid defender too.

jrm2054
02-26-2011, 10:45 PM
bc he plays for the wizards

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Because ESPN thinks Blake Griffin is the best rookie.

AI4MVP
02-27-2011, 05:07 AM
Blake Griffin deserves every bit of respect hes getting. He is in no way overhypeed whatsoever

heyman321
02-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Cause dunks are more amazing than assists, unless they're from Nash.

el_primo_nano
02-27-2011, 03:58 PM
He isnt getting hype because there is another PG lighting up the league named Derrick Rose

stlbest5in2013
02-27-2011, 08:37 PM

so landry fields is the reason the knicks are 3 games over .500?

beasted86
02-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Because he's not Landry Fields

Lakerhead4ever
02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
the answer is in the clippers locker room..

Lakerhead4ever
02-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Cause dunks are more amazing than assists, unless they're from Nash.

or rondo