PDA

View Full Version : NBA= No Parity

Game_Over
02-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Since 1980 there has been only 8 NBA franchise's to win it all!! That isn't even 1/3 of the league. I remember hearing something that only 3 active NBA coaches have won a championship!! Is the NBA fixed or what exactly is the reason?? Thought it was interesting!!

abe_froman
02-26-2011, 04:23 AM
Since 1980 there has been only 8 NBA franchise's to win it all!! That isn't even 1/3 of the league. I remember hearing something that only 3 active NBA coaches have won a championship!! Is the NBA fixed or what exactly is the reason?? Thought it was interesting!!

because individuals have greater impact in the game than any other sport.so you get that once in a generation talent and surround him well its game over,every other sport is played with that individual,no matter how great,not having a big impact on the game because of the rules of how its played.

take for example,baseball you could have greatest hitter ever and stick him on a good team and still he may never win a ring because its the rule that he and the worst hitter on his team must have same amount of ab's.take it to our sports,the best shooter can take every shot and the worst shooter can take none.and if you have a once in a generation talent at doing that,well...

you want to level the playing field,change the rules of basketball

Mudvayne91
02-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Hard cap yo

NYKalltheway
02-26-2011, 05:15 AM

It's mostly because of the format.
82 games + long playoffs... And the fact that winning teams don't change their rosters a lot means that pretty much the same faces will participate in the conference semi-finals to NBA finals...

While in college basketball, you have a cup format, knockout round that is and a Final Four. One game means everything. And teams don't wanna tank there, everyone goes for the championship as it's achievable. Plus the fact that every 2-3 years there's a huge change in roster because it's students.

But if the NBA had a shorter season, like 58 games(twice versus each team)
Playoffs till conference finals then have a Final Four, you be certain that there would have been parity in terms of NBA winners ;)
I don't find the playoffs as exciting as a F4. In a F4 you lose, it's over. In playoffs you need 4/7 to win the series. Where's the stress in that? You win some, you lose some, you can still win.
The championship winner should be the team that wins EVERY game when it matters most ;)
The 7th game of the playoff series is always the best right? Well, I can easily say that it also shows that both teams should advance/win since after 6 games their record is 3-3.

NBA needs to use a different post-season method and shorten its season to have an impact on the number of different winners!

Game_Over
02-26-2011, 05:17 AM
because individuals have greater impact in the game than any other sport.so you get that once in a generation talent and surround him well its game over,every other sport is played with that individual,no matter how great,not having a big impact on the game because of the rules of how its played.

take for example,baseball you could have greatest hitter ever and stick him on a good team and still he may never win a ring because its the rule that he and the worst hitter on his team must have same amount of ab's.take it to our sports,the best shooter can take every shot and the worst shooter can take none.and if you have a once in a generation talent at doing that,well...

you want to level the playing field,change the rules of basketball

Sure but that is what you have the draft for so the worst teams get the best players and yet through 30 years only 8 teams have got it right?? I mean in the NFL you could have a bad year and two years later your going deep in the playoffs. The NBA you know the same teams are at the top to win it all again Lakers, Boston, Spurs, Bulls, Heat?? Come on something to me just isn't right. Even in baseball where there is no cap and teams spend tons of money you have a surprise team like the Giants because they did it right in the draft!!

abe_froman
02-26-2011, 05:31 AM
Sure but that is what you have the draft for so the worst teams get the best players and yet through 30 years only 8 teams have got it right?? I mean in the NFL you could have a bad year and two years later your going deep in the playoffs. The NBA you know the same teams are at the top to win it all again Lakers, Boston, Spurs, Bulls, Heat?? Come on something to me just isn't right. Even in baseball where there is no cap and teams spend tons of money you have a surprise team like the Giants because they did it right in the draft!!

its not always through the draft though thats where it happens most of the time,the teams you named can trace most of the championships you speak of by getting a high pick in the right year than they have long drought of nothing after(bird,magic,mj,duncan).how many spurs rings are tim duncan based? how many rings of the bulls not mj based?

you act as if its a yearly thing,that somehow bulls were contenders after mj up until now,or that boston didnt suck for the better part of 20 year period after bird,that the heat is just one ring.you quote that they win but completely leave out the context/circumstances of those wins.

LAOwnsAll15
02-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Its actually not that different from all the other sports leauges. Im too lazy to pop out numbers but im sure someone will, its more like QQ from teams with ****** front offices or tight owners, possibly a combination of both.

Its no coincidence that the consistently successful franchises have recognizable owners and a really strong front office.

Raph12
02-26-2011, 05:35 AM
Conspiracy theories... The only situation where ignorance truly is bliss.

LAOwnsAll15
02-26-2011, 05:48 AM
its not always through the draft though thats where it happens most of the time,the teams you named can trace most of the championships you speak of by getting a high pick in the right year than they have long drought of nothing after(bird,magic,mj,duncan).

Do you really think its a coincidence that top-caliber teams fall off for a few years, save money, get a couple pics and suddenly turn it around in a matter of years HELL NO! They plan that **** like an economic collapse!!

They take advantage of one or 2 great moves and play with that for years to come, do everything they can to win a chip, then they "rebuild" and do it all over again when its not worth the investment. Theres a reason no one wants to play for the Celtics, they did was treat Pierce like **** for 10 years and went ape-**** crazy one year and threw away their future for 2 vets. Its not a good plan.

Gm's get payed millions for their ideas and plans with a team, because they have million dollar plans and schemes. know whats coming in years to come, while not over-compensating to get to that point and executing the plan!

Game_Over
02-26-2011, 05:55 AM
NHL was 14, NFL was 15 and lost track of MLB after 15 but NBA is at 8.. Since 1980. No other sport can a ref make as much of a impact and no other refs have been under fire as the NBA of the 4 major sports groups..

LAOwnsAll15
02-26-2011, 05:57 AM
NHL was 14, NFL was 15 and lost track of MLB after 15 but NBA is at 8.. Since 1980. No other sport can a ref make as much of a impact and no other refs have been under fire as the NBA of the 4 major sports groups..

You must not watch Raiders' games

Trace
02-26-2011, 06:00 AM
If the Memphis front office wasn't so incumbent the Lakers wouldn't be winning championships. Kobe might have possibly left by now.

Celtics were just great front office timing/planning.

Bulls are another team that had great front office timing and planning.

Spurs are another team that has great office timing and planning.

Miami in 2006 was a result of Wade but this year it's all conspiracy.

In addition, injuries (more physically demanding season than most sports) could also be a variable in the equation. Maybe T-Mac, Penny, Yao and Hill, Arenas could have shaped the league in a different manner. We'll never know.

abe_froman
02-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Do you really think its a coincidence that top-caliber teams fall off for a few years, save money, get a couple pics and suddenly turn it around in a matter of years HELL NO! They plan that **** like an economic collapse!!
who are you describing? the celtics? it took 20 years after bird for the c's to get their **** together and start being elite again,the 90's werent kind to laker championship dreams and being a bulls fan i suffered mightily the 10 before landing the rose pick.those are large gaps in time,not just a few years

they should,but there is no planning for it.if your right and they do...well than they really suck at it,or my theory is correct and its un-plannable and takes falling *** backwards into getting one of those special players

this isnt to say gm's job isnt important because you can really **** up that opportunity when you get it,and takes alot of good moves to get the right pieces around him and a little luck to be be successful while you have him

abe_froman
02-26-2011, 06:08 AM

aha yes.raph was right,conspiracy thread

well than,nevermind as anything but that wont matter to you

bullocks
02-26-2011, 06:33 AM
Totally agree. In the MLB Wild Card teams win the World Series, as in football same thing. In hockey 7 and 8 seeds make the finals (06' and 10'), in basketball it will never happen. Low seeds rarely win. Basketball while fun to play, if awefully boring and predictable to watch.

We already know one of the Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, or Heat will win it this year.

pistonsfanomg
02-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Wow
And my Pistons is one of them :)
We almost had 4 but idk what happened in 2005

cambovenzi
02-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Totally agree. In the MLB Wild Card teams win the World Series, as in football same thing. In hockey 7 and 8 seeds make the finals (06' and 10'), in basketball it will never happen. Low seeds rarely win. Basketball while fun to play, if awefully boring and predictable to watch.

We already know one of the Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, or Heat will win it this year.

Is that a bad thing?
I prefer the "best" team to win the championship.
I dont want them making it a complete crap shoot.

h2r09
02-26-2011, 11:06 AM
simple as this- superstars win championships. there arent that many superstars. You almost never see teams with no superstars win the league. The pistons were an exception but they had like 5 stars.

210Don
02-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Wow
And my Pistons is one of them :)
We almost had 4 but idk what happened in 2005

Robert Horry? :laugh2:

The BodyGuard
02-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Its which team wants it more

BigCityofDreams
02-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Is that a bad thing?
I prefer the "best" team to win the championship.
I dont want them making it a complete crap shoot.

Ppl want to turn this into the NCAA tournament lol

marlinsfan24
02-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Ppl want to turn this into the NCAA tournament lol

x2. I prefer the NBA playoffs format to the NCAA tournament.

Hellcrooner
02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Same period of time.

Champions league, Soccer.

No draft, no cap, no max contracts, no trade player for player.

Champions:

Nothingham Forest 2 x MEGASMALL Market.
Aston Villa 1x intermediate market
Liverpool 3x Medium Big Market
Manchester United 2x Big market
Porto 2x small market
Real Madrid 3 x Big market
Barcelona 3 x BIg Market
Marseille 1 x small market
Juventus 2 x intermediate market
Inter milan 1 x big market
Milan ac 5 x big market
Psv Eindovhen 1 x small market
Ajax Amsterdam 1 x intermediate market
Borussia Dortumd 1 x megasmall market
Bayern munich 1 x Big market
Red Star Belgrad 1 x small market
Steaua bucaresti 1 x Megasmall market.

If you take basketballs euroleague the numebr of winners is similar with small markets winnng some too.

and tehre are HGUHE differences in money potential among citys and countrys in europe.

Apply the free market system in USa where there is TONS of money in TONS of citys.
theres tons of money in La in Chi in NY in Bost in Dall, in Hou in Tor in Mia in EVERYWHERE:

it WOULD work.

NYMetros
02-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Yeah, that's just the way the NBA is. The only decade where there's been parity was the 70s. Every other decade it's 2, 3 or 4 teams that dominate.