PDA

View Full Version : Should OKC have taken Kevin Love instead of Russell Westbrook in 2008?

hotpotato1092
02-26-2011, 12:06 AM
I just realized this today, but OKC had their choice between UCLA teammates Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook in 2008. Obviously things turned out well, they took Westbrook and now he's an all star. But hindsight is 20/20, so if they could do it over again, do they take Kevin Love. Honestly, and I may get bashed for this, but I think I'd do it. Think about this, in 2009 they had the third pick, with Ricky Rubio and Stephen Curry available. Imagine if they would have taken Curry. Would you take a nucleus of Durant, Curry, Love, Green and Ibaka, or Durant, Westbrook, Perkins, Ibaka and Harden. It's really tough, but I think I'd take the Love/Curry group, it's riskier, but imagine Curry and Durant together, and Love's rebounding would be huge against the bigger teams in the west. So who do you take, Love or Westbrook?

Jewelz0376
02-26-2011, 12:09 AM
I'd rather have westbrook... Idk bout them getting curry and perkins cuz I doubt everything would happen the exact same way if they took love instead of westbrook...

Mane
02-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Westbrook

The BodyGuard
02-26-2011, 12:19 AM
Westbrook

Madtown22
02-26-2011, 12:20 AM
As a T-Wolves Fan, I think Westbrook is a stud. I do Like Love but Westbrook is going to be an all star for many years.

HallofFameKidd
02-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Russell over Kevin

icej
02-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Russel Westbrook on a heartbeat.

OKC will only improve with him there, and he could overtake D'rose in the very near future, I'm not saying he will but he definitely has the potential.

hotpotato1092
02-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Wow, I figured Westbrook would win but I'm the only one tempted by the possibility of Durant/Love/Curry?

finalverse
02-26-2011, 12:43 AM
couldn't go wrong either way IMO. Westbrook fits that team nicely and so would Love. I think they made a mistake trading Jeff Green. I say this not because Perkins isn't a decent pickup, but moreso because Ibaka IMO isn't that good right now.

Raph12
02-26-2011, 12:57 AM
Love is a good player, but Westbrook has been playing at a very high level and still has a lot of room to grow... Love isn't outstandingly athletic and he's already very fundamentally sound, don't see him getting that much better than he is now.

GoatMilk
02-26-2011, 01:00 AM
Love is a good player, but Westbrook has been playing at a very high level and still has a lot of room to grow... Love isn't outstandingly athletic and he's already very fundamentally sound, don't see him getting that much better than he is now.

this is how exactly how i feel
i love kevin love, but he's not going to be getting much better.
russell though. wow. this guy is special

Hawkeye15
02-26-2011, 01:02 AM
can I take both?

azamat
02-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Have you ever seen Kevin Love playing defense? Its not exactly pretty.

Hawkeye15
02-26-2011, 01:10 AM

have you ever seen a top rebounder take away the ball from Love? Its not pretty, cause it doesn't happen

shep33
02-26-2011, 01:10 AM
No way.

redsox0717
02-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Is this a joke?

DwayneMVPwade
NOOOO! Westbrook over Love anyday of the week.

Bulls_fan90
Love. He's a beast.

Raph12
02-26-2011, 01:21 AM

Yes but you don't magically become a good defender, it takes a special type of coach or teammates to light that spark under your *** to actually make you want to play defense.

I guess he can get better, but it would have to be the perfect situation; dude should join Dwight in Otown, he and Stan could make the fatty work lol... Plus getting him working out with Superman could help him drastically.

Mishmin
02-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Westbrook. Perfect match with Durant. Easily.

HakeemTheDream
02-26-2011, 01:24 AM
No. But they should have picked Curry instead of Harden.

Baller1
02-26-2011, 01:29 AM
No. But they should have picked Curry instead of Harden.

Common misconception.

I'm aware it's an opinion, but I think it's completely a flawed one (with all due respect). Harden plays much, much better defense than Curry and is simply being hindered behind the low minutes compared to the Curry's, Jennings', and Tyreke's. I'm 100% happy with Harden.

tredigs
02-26-2011, 01:38 AM
Common misconception.

I'm aware it's an opinion, but I think it's completely a flawed one (with all due respect). Harden plays much, much better defense than Curry and is simply being hindered behind the low minutes compared to the Curry's, Jennings', and Tyreke's. I'm 100% happy with Harden.

Can't just lump together the "Curry's, Jennings' and Tyreke's" as if they're the same my man. All are entirely different players. Curry is an absurd talent - arguably the best shooter in the NBA - and still puts up efficient numbers in a very tough role for him playing alongside a crowded backcourt with Monta; he's flat out better than Harden. And being that the Thunder are the worst 3pt shooting team in the league, you'd have to imagine that he'd be an integral part of their success - if the trade was offered - I'd imagine Presti would JUMP on it.

That said, I'm on board with the argument that Harden still fits them better given OKC's already relatively weak overall defense/rebounding (which would only be downgraded with Curry no doubt), and it's a respectable opinion.

As for Westbrook over Love, especially given where OKC is at now as a team? Not even a question for me, you take Westbrook. I think Presti would honestly laugh in the face of that as a proposed deal given the texture of their team with Ibaka + Perkins in the post.

abe_froman
02-26-2011, 01:47 AM
i think things worked out pretty damn good for them with how it went

Baller1
02-26-2011, 01:53 AM
Can't just lump together the "Curry's, Jennings' and Tyreke's" as if they're the same my man. All are entirely different players. Curry is an absurd talent - arguably the best shooter in the NBA - and still puts up efficient numbers in a very tough role for him playing alongside a crowded backcourt with Monta; he's flat out better than Harden. And being that the Thunder are the worst 3pt shooting team in the league, you'd have to imagine that he'd be an integral part of their success - if the trade was offered - I'd imagine Presti would JUMP on it.

That said, I'm on board with the argument that Harden still fits them better given OKC's already relatively weak overall defense/rebounding (which would only be downgraded with Curry no doubt), and it's a respectable opinion.

As for Westbrook over Love, especially given where OKC is at now as a team? Not even a question for me, you take Westbrook. I think Presti would honestly laugh in the face of that as a proposed deal given the texture of their team with Ibaka + Perkins in the post.

By "Curry's, Jennings', and Tyreke's", I was referring to the hype that surrounded them, while Harden is consistently being overlooked.

As for Curry and Harden, they're just very different players. Curry is the superior scorer and passer, whereas Harden is the better defender and probably the better rebounder (although it's not worth noting really). I like Curry a lot, but I'm going to continue to back up my claim that Harden would be putting up similar numbers to Curry or Tyreke had he been put in their respectable situations. Just my opinion of course.

tredigs
02-26-2011, 02:18 AM
By "Curry's, Jennings', and Tyreke's", I was referring to the hype that surrounded them, while Harden is consistently being overlooked.

As for Curry and Harden, they're just very different players. Curry is the superior scorer and passer, whereas Harden is the better defender and probably the better rebounder (although it's not worth noting really). I like Curry a lot, but I'm going to continue to back up my claim that Harden would be putting up similar numbers to Curry or Tyreke had he been put in their respectable situations. Just my opinion of course.

You heed to my opinion as superior or I will cut you! Scissors!

Lake_Show2416
02-26-2011, 02:42 AM
I think both teams r happy with the way it all worked out

Lake_Show2416
02-26-2011, 02:46 AM

He backs up Sefolosha.... that's all I'm saying

Bullsfan22
02-26-2011, 02:51 AM
Westbrook was a good enough choice.

AI4MVP
02-26-2011, 02:54 AM
they shoulda taken love and then picked rubio

gilly
02-26-2011, 10:02 AM
they shoulda taken love and then picked rubio

He wouldn't have gone.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Doesn't matter. In a few years they will form their own big 3 in OKC.

KnicksorBust
02-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Kevin Love. Better fit with Durant.

Bruno
02-28-2011, 05:46 AM
If they selected Love instead of Westbrook in 2008 then they could have selected Evans over Harden in 2009. Then you have a core of Evans/Durant/Green/Love?

Anilyzer
02-28-2011, 07:52 AM
is Love really that good?

does anybody else feel that he is maybe a statistical anomaly this year?

seriously, would anybody trade Stoudemire, let's say, for K Love?

If you're top GM, and have choice of any PFs in the league to build your team, where do you rank Kevin Love?

Gasol
Stoudemire
Blake Griffin
Nowitzki
Durant
Aldridge
Odom
Garnett
Randolph
Josh Smith
Carlos Boozer
Chris Bosh

... how many of those guys do we actually take K Love ahead of?

rapjuicer06
02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
He backs up Sefolosha.... that's all I'm saying

yea but he's the go to guy with the second group. he's the spark off the bench. you don't need 3 go to scorers in the starting line up, one off the bench is just gravy

rapjuicer06
02-28-2011, 09:50 AM

If you're top GM, and have choice of any PFs in the league to build your team, where do you rank Kevin Love?

Gasol
Stoudemire
Blake Griffin
Nowitzki
Durant
Aldridge
Odom
Garnett
Randolph
Josh Smith
Carlos Boozer
Chris Bosh

thats a good point. i think love's rebound numbers are a bit inflated this year for the fact he's on a team who has no one else. i honestly think if love was elite he'd be scoring more points than what he is on that bad of a team. love is a compliment player with no player to compliment at this point

ragee
02-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Westbrook... Both of them can light up the stat sheet... The only difference is Westbrook is a proven winner... Until Love can prove that he can put up stats while leading his team to a win, I'll have to stick with Westbrook...

KnicksorBust
02-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Gasol
Stoudemire
Blake Griffin
Nowitzki
Durant
Aldridge
Odom
Garnett
Randolph
Josh Smith
Carlos Boozer
Chris Bosh

Odom-Randolph-Smith putting him around #9 in the league. He's a top 10 PF and the best rebounder in the group. His scoring effeciency and rebounding put him in great company. I still say he's a much better fit for Durant.

Hawkeye15
02-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Westbrook... Both of them can light up the stat sheet... The only difference is Westbrook is a proven winner... Until Love can prove that he can put up stats while leading his team to a win, I'll have to stick with Westbrook...

I think if you gave Kevin Durant as a teammate to Love, he would probably have a couple more wins, don't you think?

Put Westbrook on the Wolves, and remove Love. Are they winning more games? Nope.

Double_R
02-28-2011, 11:11 AM
There are about 10 people so far that have already failed the GM test.

Cubs Win
02-28-2011, 11:16 AM
One case that can be made for taking Love is that there are a good number of great young PGs in today's game, but just one 20/15 guy. With that said, I still think I'd take Westbrook.

mttwlsn16
02-28-2011, 11:16 AM
have you ever seen a top rebounder take away the ball from Love? Its not pretty, cause it doesn't happen

have u ever seen the wolves win a game? :laugh: sorry i had to hawk. do think u guys have a bright future tho

Hawkeye15
02-28-2011, 11:19 AM
There are about 10 people so far that have already failed the GM test.

in the few years I have been here, I think most of PSD would fail the GM test. But yeah, anyone who would dare choose a 21/15/42%/87% guy who is 22 is insane....

Hawkeye15
02-28-2011, 11:19 AM
have u ever seen the wolves win a game? :laugh: sorry i had to hawk. do think u guys have a bright future tho

saw it about 12 hrs ago, when Love went for 37/23 on 13 shot attempts.

JayAllDay
02-28-2011, 11:24 AM
If anything Memphis shouldn't have traded Love for Mayo because then they would have had that formidable Gay-Love combo.

Tarheels23
02-28-2011, 11:46 AM
No, but they should have taken Tyreke over Harden in 09

Double_R
02-28-2011, 11:48 AM
in the few years I have been here, I think most of PSD would fail the GM test. But yeah, anyone who would dare choose a 21/15/42%/87% guy who is 22 is insane....

No I think anyone who would dare choose a guy whose team only has 14 wins by March, inflated(and padded since the competition is mostly backups by the end of the 3rd) stats, plays very little defense(outside of defensive rebounding) and isn't in the top group at his position over a guy who is in the top group at his position and averages 22/8.5/5/1.7 while winning games when Durant isn't on the floor and when he is.

rapjuicer06
02-28-2011, 11:57 AM
you can't go off of anything really with love. he's a good player who would be great along side another star (who wouldn't) he'd have more wins if he had another great player, but would his rebounds be less if he had another player worthy of getting at least one board? you just don't know. when you play the wolves you don't crash the boards because you need every extra basket to win the game, so players kind of relax against them

Double_R
02-28-2011, 12:23 PM
If anything Memphis shouldn't have traded Love for Mayo because then they would have had that formidable Gay-Love combo.

Awesome

bahama0811
02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
I think they made the right choice in taking Westbrook.

Anilyzer
03-01-2011, 04:30 AM
Westbrook = real deal