PDA

View Full Version : Should the NBA allow props in the DUNK CONTEST?

Storch
02-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Should the NBA allow props in the dunk contest??

http://www.nba.com/dunkladder/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Feb. 25 -- Maybe DeMar DeRozan is on to something.

After taking part in arguably one of the most-hyped dunk contests ever, one that was filled with Video short vignettes, props and Video a choir, DeRozan was pretty miffed.

"I'm a dunker. Dunk contests, you go out there and dunk. I'm not into all the props and everything," DeRozan said.

It appears Video "Mr. No Props Needed" is not alone. By the same token, some found the new approach on dunking entertainment to be a breath of fresh air. Here are some of the thoughts from you, the readers of the Dunk Ladder:

"To be honest the creativity this year has surpassed any that I've seen, so who knows what's next."
-- Rawle T., from Guyana

"I am unbelievably annoyed at where this contest is headed. In fact, annoyed would be an understatement. The dunk contest should be about pure dunking ability ... This contest has lost what was best about it: the dunking."
-- Cole

"The dunk contest had to use these theatrics to draw back the shine it once had and theatrics is what assisted with reviving & re-polishing the good-old dunk contest."
-- Robyn

"I sometimes have a feeling that the contestants use all these props and gimmicks to mask the fact that they can't come up with impressive, or original 'real' dunks. And by that I mean: 1 ball, 1 rim and NO props."
-- Jean, from Belgium

"I think to keep the contest fresh there is no other way than bringing in some gimmicks, but I think the focus should still be on the dunks itself. It has to be about skill."
-- Marc M., from Germany

"Props to Griffin for winning it all, but the car was halfway underneath the rim almost. It really wasn't that impressive. There's lots of impressive dunks and variation of dunks left to do. It's really a shame that players seem to spend more time and effort on choosing the best / biggest prop as opposed to actually practicing dunks."
-- Ben (A worried fan)

"I think the dunk contest is definitely going in the wrong direction and I completely agree with DeMar DeRozan's recent comments. Vince Carter and many other legendary dunkers never needed props. Ban the props!!!!"
-- Ryan L.

We've got some pretty strong views on this latest trend. Let's keep the dialogue going. Send any thoughts, comments or rants to nbadunkladder@gmail.com.

-- LeMont Calloway, NBA.com

The dunk contest has turned into a popularity contest with the props. People vote for the one that used the most creativity and crowd pleasing props to win with all the drama that they have put into the dunk.

Storch
02-25-2011, 09:24 PM
I say YES, it should be allowed. But, the judges need to make better judgements in their scores. I mean, its in their hands to see the dunk for what it is and not be entangled into the drama and hype. The props isn't the problem, the judges are the problem imo.

the_jon
02-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Unfortunately the idiots like all like the props and idiots outnumber intelligent fans. Even some of the intelligent fans like the props so I don't see them going away. :(

BigBlueCrew
02-25-2011, 09:32 PM
no, but they should lower the setup time.

stawka
02-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Not ban it, just don't give them 50's for using props. If it's a **** dunk but the guy jumps over a live cat, give him a 30

Khalifa21
02-25-2011, 09:36 PM
I say no to props... Make it a dunk contest again.

Albrecht Duerer
02-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Yes but since Griffin's dunk used product placement (its already in a Kia commercial), the genie is probably out of the bottle.

HoopsDrive
02-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Props should only enhance the dunk and not take center stage. That teddy bear dunk by Ibaka was a piece of **** for example but it got the same score as his FT line dunk?

The judges are the main problem and between that and fan voting both are horrible methods of choosing a winner. Judges are not consistent (maybe even some favoring) and the majority of fans just buy into the hype.

Sadds The Gr8
02-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Props should only enhance the dunk and not take center stage. That teddy bear dunk by Ibaka was a piece of **** for example but it got the same score as his FT line dunk?

The judges are the main problem and between that and fan voting both are horrible methods of choosing a winner. Judges are not consistent (maybe even some favoring) and the majority of fans just buy into the hype.

exactly. it's not that props are bad, it's that they're TAKING OVER the contest. nowdays it's whoever has the best prop wins instead of who has the best dunk.

ThornMo
02-25-2011, 09:55 PM
props are a joke. its like saying "if you hit the ball into the upper deck it counts as two" in the home run derby. a homer's a homer and a dunk's a dunk. props cheapen the contest.

Supa
02-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Props are needed to keep the dunk contest fresh, period.

---

redsox0717
02-25-2011, 09:58 PM
The props isn't the problem, the judges are the problem imo.

I agree, we need a good set of third party professorial sports judges that are behind the scenes to grade the dunks, the current system is a joke

Raps18-19 Champ
02-25-2011, 10:30 PM
1. Take out fan voting
2. Get better judges
3. Allow dunks but judge it more on the dunk difficutly. Like let Blake jump over a car. Just judge him on how hard it actually is jumping over a 3 feet high hood and is like 5 feet in front of the net.

blastmasta26
02-25-2011, 10:40 PM
You must keep props to maintain originality. Only thing is, the props should never overshadow the dunk, only add to the difficulty of it. For example, Blake jumping over the hood of the car is bad use of a prop, while Blake jumping over the roof of the car would have been good use of a prop.

Flojo
02-25-2011, 10:43 PM
The voting system has to get fixed (better judging, and no fan vote) or props need to be toned down a lot. Either way, something has to give. Take away the flash props that don't really add anything to the dunk, or take away the people who fall for the gimmicks.

MacFitz92
02-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Adds entertainment. That's what the dunk contest is imo, so I don't really care. If judges are going to be stupid, then it is what it is.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
02-25-2011, 11:48 PM
yes.. yes they should.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-25-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't mind props as long as the dunk is actually hard.

Like Ibaka got a higher score for a teeth grabbing bear hanging off the rim over Demar's bounce off the extention of the basket between the legs alley oop.

I don't mind props as long as the judges base their scores off the difficulty and not the show.

Storch
02-26-2011, 01:12 AM
I don't think its a good idea to make the judges people that are retired legends from dunk contests because they're just going to hate on the new guys that do their dunks better than them. I'm referring to Dr. J on Ibaka, he gave him a 9. When he got a 10 for doing the same thing from below the free throw line.

TylerSL
02-26-2011, 01:16 AM
no, props are to win over stupid people...... Sorry of that falls under the "bait" catagory, but it is the truth.....

EDIT: If the prop isnt to just wow the crowd, then fine. If it is accually meant to make the dunk hard then yes. Examples are raising the rim, or adding a trampoline. What they could do is jump from the 3 point line, onto the trampoline at the free throw line, do a flip and dunk it. That would be sick. But if it is to just bring in a car, or a phone booth to just wow the crowd. That is dumb and it ends up screwing people because the idiot fans vote for it, and the idiot judges give it 50's because it "wows" them. Like Howards superman dunk (which wasnt even really a dunk) and Griffins car dunk.....

Storch
02-26-2011, 01:33 AM
no, props are to win over stupid people...... Sorry of that falls under the "bait" catagory, but it is the truth.....

EDIT: If the prop isnt to just wow the crowd, then fine. If it is accually meant to make the dunk hard then yes. Examples are raising the rim, or adding a trampoline. What they could do is jump from the 3 point line, onto the trampoline at the free throw line, do a flip and dunk it. That would be sick. But if it is to just bring in a car, or a phone booth to just wow the crowd. That is dumb and it ends up screwing people because the idiot fans vote for it, and the idiot judges give it 50's because it "wows" them. Like Howards superman dunk (which wasnt even really a dunk) and Griffins car dunk.....

I agree with what you're saying man. But Dwight's dunk was elevated over the rim and he threw it down into the rim! That was crazy.... And he tried to make his body leveled but didn't do it fully, but it was nice. Not one of the greatest dunks ever but its safe to say that its loads better than Griffin's dunk.

MattyG
02-26-2011, 03:02 AM
-

BaustinSali08
02-26-2011, 03:03 AM
Best judges for the dunk contest are former recent dunk champions I think, or recent dunk semi-finalists.

Jay_Dub
02-26-2011, 03:06 AM
Make it about the dunks again

Storch
02-26-2011, 03:40 AM
The only thing I'll say about this is that I was shocked that the NBA would've allowed a parked car anywhere near the paint which each contestant apparently had to fly over last weekend (This was on an ESPN re-run highlight around 3AM my time one night this week if what I witnessed was valid-maybe I was dreaming because I didn't watch the contest this year).

I can recall a dozen or more moments in games or past contests over the years involving physical/technical related errors that could've afforded for an individual player's leg/foot/knee to go straight through the car window or something in a scenario like that.

Here again, in my judgement, at least, that would be pretty dumb of Stern and co to have allowed for that all for this/that marketing purpose if that's really what went down during this year's contest.

Ie-it was real according to Tyler above. Thanks for confirming I haven't officially lost it, buddy~.

Have you seen the commercial? It seems as though it was all part of a plan. Was it rig? Perhaps this is a controversy since it looks like it was an NBA marketing scheme...

MattyG
02-26-2011, 03:53 AM
-

pastrecedes
02-26-2011, 04:30 AM
i say they should be allowed, they bring a new spice to the contest. although, when it comes down to it, the actual dunk has gotta be impressive. i don't wanna see a guy juggle 3 balls and just barely dunk the ball in or anything. i wanna see a massive 360 tomahawk from the free throw line with authority!!!

Raph12
02-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Yes, but the evaluation method should be changed... McGee's dunk of both nets was the best in the dunk contest and having props like that shows how high someone is actually getting.

ClipperfanKevin
02-26-2011, 05:00 AM
LOL at people saying Griffin should have jumped over the roof. As a Clippers fan, I'd rather not see that. The risk of getting hurt is way too much for the wow factor of the dunk. The judges are the problem, but his off the glass, elbow in the rim dunk was SICK and its overshadowed by the damn KIA.

THE MTL
02-26-2011, 05:40 AM
I think the problem is the judges. Ibaka went from BEHIND the free throw line! Dr. J never did that and Michael Jordan never did that. He got completely robbed.

But the creativity and the gimmicks and the props are MUCH NEEDED! There isnt any real new dunks u can do, but their are props and stuff u can add to enhance dunks.

However, I dont think the pure dunks get enough credit. Seriously, that dunk that Derozan did was the best dunk I have seen in a long time.

CELTICS4LYFE
02-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Why not?? You know how boring it would be with out props?

DwayneMVPwade
02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
I dont mind props. Just get better judges and get rid of fan voting.

Kakaroach
02-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah, fan voting is so terrible. As long as they don't use props in every single dunk, I think its fine.

Sadds The Gr8
02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Yes, but the evaluation method should be changed... McGee's dunk of both nets was the best in the dunk contest and having props like that shows how high someone is actually getting.

it was sick but how much times can someone **** up to actually be punished? i recall McGee taking like 7 attempts at the dunk, and still getting a 50. Isn't one of the main points of the dunk contest to show how easily you can do a dunk with a minimal amount of attempts? I remember in the old days that circumstance would NEVER result in a 50...just shows how phony and cheap it is today. like someone suggested before, judges should deduct 1 point for each missed dunk attempt.

LTS
02-26-2011, 01:49 PM
The whole thing is boring especially this year I jumped over hood of a small car seen ebtter on underground mixtapes and AND 1 only part of ALL star weekend worth watching is 3pt contest only non rigged event

Mr Haha
02-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Absolutely not. I am personally offended, not only as a fan, but as a human being, that props were allowed in the NBA Slam Dunk Contest. If they show up next year, I will throw my TV out the window, deflate my basketball, burn my Nike's, and quite possibly leave the country for a place where such an atrocity could never be committed.

Shkelqim
02-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Who cares?

Its entertainment. I don't understand why DeRozan is getting upset. Your not winning billion of dollars. I could care less who wins, as long as its a good time:D

ALL-STAR WEEKEND

NOT THE FINALS people

Storch
02-26-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm surprised to see the poll with no props taking a big lead.

Mr Haha
02-26-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm surprised to see the poll with no props taking a big lead.

Yeah. Lot's of people take silly things way too seriously.

dtmagnet
02-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Who cares?

Its entertainment. I don't understand why DeRozan is getting upset. Your not winning billion of dollars. I could care less who wins, as long as its a good time:D

ALL-STAR WEEKEND

NOT THE FINALS people

Right... because its not like professional athletes are competitive or anything right?

LA_Raiders
02-26-2011, 03:58 PM
No

PhillySportFan
02-26-2011, 04:06 PM
All it should come down to is this, the prop shouldn't stop you from at least adding some flavor in your dunk. If you gotta do what Blake Griffin did, basically make your dunk as plain as it gets because of your prop you shouldn't be awarded a lot for that. Nice dunk + stunt over/around prop = most points.

J-Relo
02-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Give star players and you can take all the props away...

ghettosean
02-26-2011, 08:29 PM
1. Take out fan voting
2. Get better judges
3. Allow dunks but judge it more on the dunk difficutly. Like let Blake jump over a car. Just judge him on how hard it actually is jumping over a 3 feet high hood and is like 5 feet in front of the net.
I have to agree...

Fan voting ruins so much now I mean Griffins final dunk wasn't that great it was all about the choir and him jumping over a car but big whoop it wasn't that hard since the car was pretty much under the net and proof of fan voting ruining this sport is JUSTIN BEIBER winning MVP in the celeb all star game like wtf. Also when Dwight and Derzon lost to Nate Robinson in previous dunk contests.

I hope they get rid of props and fan votes cause it's been pretty sad the past couple of years... cupcake dunks and jumping over tables like just stop pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

topdog
02-26-2011, 08:53 PM
I like some "props." Things like cupcakes and extra high backboards show just how much hang time and height these guys can get. I appreciate DeRozan and his sick dunks but how many original dunks are there to come up with? I mean how many different ways can you spin and put it through your legs?

On a very related note, all this build up and theatrics needs to stop. No choirs. No phone booths. No mamas holding their son's balls.

blastmasta26
02-26-2011, 09:30 PM
it was sick but how much times can someone **** up to actually be punished? i recall McGee taking like 7 attempts at the dunk, and still getting a 50. Isn't one of the main points of the dunk contest to show how easily you can do a dunk with a minimal amount of attempts? I remember in the old days that circumstance would NEVER result in a 50...just shows how phony and cheap it is today. like someone suggested before, judges should deduct 1 point for each missed dunk attempt.
I think the contest would be better off removing the shot clock and going back to one dunk attempt (with one replacement per round). If you miss, you can replace it. If you have no replacements left, you get a 30. That can add pressure on contestants to make a dunk the first time. Remember, this was never a problem until Nate Robinson took like 15 tries in the year that he robbed Iggy.

Storch
02-27-2011, 05:47 AM
What if they changed the dunk contest into a HORSE dunk contest???? That would be interesting to see!

Crackadalic
02-27-2011, 05:56 AM
As long as i get to jump up and down and scream like a little girl i really dont care either way props or no props

king4day
02-27-2011, 09:28 AM
As long as it doesn't impede the dunker (like a trampoline).
Also, if they are always going to aloud props, then you MUST eliminate fan voting.

If judges voted, then Griffin doesn't win.
To the nonchalant fan, all they saw was "Man" "Car" "Dunk".
To the smart fan, Derozen's FT line dunk was much more difficult.

TheDiggler
02-27-2011, 09:50 AM
OLD SCHOOL !

I Love it ! Thinking about the days were people like MJ or Dominique Wilkins, Spud Webb, Larry Nance and so on, were ENTERTAINING without cars, ladders, superman-capes and that stuff.

It's about pure dunking-ability. Imagine the Blake Griffin dunk without the car ! Even with the car it sucked ... but, think about without the car-hood !

rufo4100
02-27-2011, 12:48 PM
I dont see a problem with props...it is all for fun.

blastmasta26
02-27-2011, 01:12 PM
What if they changed the dunk contest into a HORSE dunk contest???? That would be interesting to see!

No offense, but I think that would be horrible. Creativity and originality always improve the dunk contest, HORSE style would kill that kind of like the dunk wheel they had during one of the J-Rich contests (it was either 02 or 03).

As long as it doesn't impede the dunker (like a trampoline).
Also, if they are always going to aloud props, then you MUST eliminate fan voting.

If judges voted, then Griffin doesn't win.
To the nonchalant fan, all they saw was "Man" "Car" "Dunk".
To the smart fan, Derozen's FT line dunk was much more difficult.

Judge voting is not so great either. Griffin got a 46 on an easier version of a 44 dunk by DeRozan. And Ibaka's FT line dunk that was farther than Dr. J's or MJ's got only a 45. I do agree that fan voting should be removed, but the judges need to be improved as well.

OLD SCHOOL !

I Love it ! Thinking about the days were people like MJ or Dominique Wilkins, Spud Webb, Larry Nance and so on, were ENTERTAINING without cars, ladders, superman-capes and that stuff.

It's about pure dunking-ability. Imagine the Blake Griffin dunk without the car ! Even with the car it sucked ... but, think about without the car-hood !

Well Larry Nance dunked two basketballs, which is technically use of a prop. Props can enhance dunks so they should definitely be allowed. It's just that judges should pay attention to how the props function in the dunk and score each dunk accordingly.

CELTICS4LYFE
02-27-2011, 02:29 PM
I still haven't heard one good reason why props should NOT be allowed....

The judging problem would be solved if they let them watch the replay, nobody knew he took of from the free throw line until they showed the replay.

Tkking87
02-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I'd say yea cuz all the dunks have pretty much been done or attempted so the dunk contests needs something new or it's ganna die out