PDA

View Full Version : Celtics traded Perkins because he was going to ask for $10 million annually

JordansBulls
02-25-2011, 05:43 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2011/02/25/contract_issue_at_the_center_of_the_deal/

Ainge has had to ask himself whether it would be economically sound to invest about $10 million per season in a center coming off major knee surgery.

But thatís the market, and thatís what Perkins was going to ask for. He watched Brendan Haywood sign a six-year, $52 million contract with the Mavericks and wondered, why not me? The Lakersí Andrew Bynum signed a four-year, $57 million extension. Joa kim Noah re-signed in Chicago for five years and $60 million. And Chris Kaman signed a five-year, $52 million contract with the Clippers in 2006.

The Celtics offered Perkins four years and $22 million, but he was looking for about double that. So there was going to be an impasse in the summer, and itís apparent that Ainge chose to focus on impending free agent Glen Davis and perhaps using the teamís mid-level exception ó if it still exists under the new collective bargaining agreement ó to attract a new big man

SteBO
02-25-2011, 05:47 PM
I read that yesterday. Can't blame them for it, but I still think they hurt their chances at the chip this year. You can't rely on Shaq and J.O. to come through when it matters.

AI4MVP
02-25-2011, 05:50 PM
im sorry but Kendrick Perkins is the most overrated player in the NBA. Hes just another big body. Hes not bad, but he doesnt deserve the praise that hes getting. Its not like hes any better then a player like Joel Pryzbila or someone like that.

hugepatsfan
02-25-2011, 05:51 PM
He's worth that to OKC because they will be contending. But he isn't worth that money to BOS because they will spend a lot of the time of that contract rebuilding. Perk isn't a good player for a rebuilding team at 10 mil.

hugepatsfan
im sorry but Kendrick Perkins is the most overrated player in the NBA. Hes just another big body. Hes not bad, but he doesnt deserve the praise that hes getting. Its not like hes any better then a player like Joel Pryzbila or someone like that.

BS. He's the 2nd best defensive C in the NBA.

Chitownhero14
Wow they were definitly low balling him 22M over 4 years and he wants like 5years 50M...hmmm no deal in forseable future definitly good to trade. But i wonder if somehow they manage to pry him up in FA now. Start rebuilding a young core when the old guys retire. They dont have birds, but with Shaq, Wallace, West, Kristic all off the books and maybe JO if he cant get healthy, then they could throw him the money.

Rondo, Green, Davis, Perkins to rebuild with, Allen, Pierce, Garnett for 2 years to teach and chase a title...not bad if it could happen...not likely though

Sadds The Gr8
figures...10 mil for Perkins is a joke

SteveNash
02-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Jeff Green will probably want $10 million a year.

Gormans Mic
02-25-2011, 06:01 PM
he's a restricted FA, but also far more worth a bigger contract anyway.

PAOboston
02-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Wow they were definitly low balling him 22M over 4 years and he wants like 5years 50M...hmmm no deal in forseable future definitly good to trade. But i wonder if somehow they manage to pry him up in FA now. Start rebuilding a young core when the old guys retire. They dont have birds, but with Shaq, Wallace, West, Kristic all off the books and maybe JO if he cant get healthy, then they could throw him the money.

Rondo, Green, Davis, Perkins to rebuild with, Allen, Pierce, Garnett for 2 years to teach and chase a title...not bad if it could happen...not likely though

they didnt lowball him. under the cba, they couldnt offer him more that that until the end of the season. either way, perkins was going to test fa agency no matter what. i dont blame him. when players like brendan hayward, tyson chandler, etc get deals in the 4-5 year range worth at least 10 mill per, i'd test the market as well!

for the c's it doesnt make sense to spend 10 mill on a center when they will be rebuilding in a few years, especially a flawed center. for the thunder, it makes sense b/c perkins makes more sense for them at that money b/c they will be contending for the next few years.

Mishmin
02-25-2011, 06:06 PM
they didnt lowball him. under the cba, they couldnt offer him more that that until the end of the season. either way, perkins was going to test fa agency no matter what. i dont blame him. when players like brendan hayward, tyson chandler, etc get deals in the 4-5 year range worth at least 10 mill per, i'd test the market as well!

for the c's it doesnt make sense to spend 10 mill on a center when they will be rebuilding in a few years, especially a flawed center. for the thunder, it makes sense b/c perkins makes more sense for them at that money b/c they will be contending for the next few years.

^This, exactly.

For the C's it's tough to part with him, but he is just a great defender and a poor offensive player. Not worth the money if we're about to start rebuilding in a couple years. But Jeff Green certainly is. At the same time, Krstic is not as good as Perk, but he's still solid. As long as Shaq comes back as expected they're still looking very good. Remember that Perk was out for much of this season and Shaq was more than covering for him.

shep33
02-25-2011, 06:15 PM
okay the thing is Green is going to be a RFA, and I'm pretty sure he'll command some good money too. I can see teams spending 10 mill on him, a talented versatile player like that will get paid. So I don't really buy Boston's strategy here, they're banking on Green signing for less than 10 mill then? I'm not saying he's worth 10 mill, but I'm saying that it wouldn't surprise me if a team offered him that.

What gets me is that the core of this team has a chance to win a championship this year and possibly next before they kind of fade. That being said, trading away a big, arguably the 2nd best defensive big in the league, and a guy who has been part of the most common starting lineup in the league over the past 4 years (Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG, Perk), I mean thats a big move, and the Celts have been saying that their starting 5 has never lost a series, but they deal him anyways.

I still think Boston is the favorite out east, but depending on who they get via buyout, I'm still kind of scratching my head. Shaq and JO have missed so many games this year, and i mean it can work if they're healthy this postseason, but even with Shaq healthy he picks up fouls to quickly, and we know he isn't likely going to be in shape. JO, well I have no idea what he can give them in all truth, if he can play its a bonus but we'll see how he performs after dealing with surgery.

FarOutIos
02-25-2011, 06:18 PM

2nd best? That's a stretch.

I think the best is definitely Howard. Then you have players like Duncan, Noah, Amare and other more offensive players who play just as good as Perkins does defensively.

I think Boston gets away with playing a very physical and sometimes dirty style of play which makes their defense seem better.

Just look up the numbers. Where is Perk ranked among centers for Blocks and Steals?...

PAOboston
02-25-2011, 06:21 PM
okay the thing is Green is going to be a RFA, and I'm pretty sure he'll command some good money too. I can see teams spending 10 mill on him, a talented versatile player like that will get paid. So I don't really buy Boston's strategy here, they're banking on Green signing for less than 10 mill then? I'm not saying he's worth 10 mill, but I'm saying that it wouldn't surprise me if a team offered him that.

i hate to use this word, but it's all about value. i think the c's would rather give 10 million per for example to green who is young, have a pretty good offensive game, and has room to grow into a more well-rounded player than perkins. perkins has plateaued as far as progression. he is what he is. an above average post defender, decent rebounder, limited offensive game. and considering the c's are gonna start rebuilding in a few years, green would be a better piece.

mikealike305
02-25-2011, 06:22 PM

I think the best is definitely howard. Then you have players like duncan, noah, amare and other more offensive players who play just as good as perkins does defensively.

I think boston gets away with playing a very physical and sometimes dirty style of play which makes their defense seem better.

Just look up the numbers. Where is perk ranked among centers for blocks and steals?...

i dont think amare knows what defense is

SteveNash
02-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Just look up the numbers. Where is Perk ranked among centers for Blocks and Steals?...

Darko Milicic, best defender in the game.

WrongIslander
02-25-2011, 06:24 PM

I think the best is definitely Howard. Then you have players like Duncan, Noah, Amare and other more offensive players who play just as good as Perkins does defensively.

I think Boston gets away with playing a very physical and sometimes dirty style of play which makes their defense seem better.

No love for Bogut?

PAOboston
02-25-2011, 06:24 PM

you base how good someone is on defense based on blocks/steals???

perk is a good defensive player. i'd say top 5 along with howard/duncan/chandler/bynum. there arent many good (defensive) centers out there in the nba. it's somewhat of a dying breed...

also, when the hell did amare start playing defense? defense and mike d'antoni dont go together lol

Chacarron
02-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Perks is an elite post defender, but not worth 10 mill a year because he doesn't do anything sexy on offense.

shep33
02-25-2011, 06:42 PM
i hate to use this word, but it's all about value. i think the c's would rather give 10 million per for example to green who is young, have a pretty good offensive game, and has room to grow into a more well-rounded player than perkins. perkins has plateaued as far as progression. he is what he is. an above average post defender, decent rebounder, limited offensive game. and considering the c's are gonna start rebuilding in a few years, green would be a better piece.

Okay, I can buy into that, but the thing is does Jeff Green really become one of the future players of the Celts that leads them to a championship?... the only reason I say that is because just IMO I think that Celts made a slight sacrifice here, then for the future. And I think all of us could agree they were they favorites with the team they had before the deadline. Now, if and it's a big if, this backfires and the Celts don't win a title this year because Shaq or JO couldn't carry the load, then wouldn't it ultimately be a failure? Championships are hard to come by, and if they're planning for a championship in the future when they may have slightly decreased their prospects this year, i think a lot of Celtic fans have a right to be angry. Nothing is guaranteed in the future, and I mean it's not guaranteed that Boston wins this year with or without Perk, but atleast they were the favorites. Now if Green ends up being solid, but they don't win this year... then next year they're basically relying on an older big 3, and an older JO and shaq if they don't retire.

I just think it's not good to mess with a good thing right now. Even if they lost Perk at the end of the year, I think they could've looked in free agency to find a decent replacement, I mean if Ainge was so worried about that, this upcoming FA period has a lot of solid bigs, so why not just play it that way?

The BodyGuard į
02-25-2011, 06:52 PM

BS, He is Okc missing piece. The only reason he couldn't play better is because he had to play behind Pierce/Allen / Garnet ect.. But in okc he will be used a lot more than usually. He brings toughness, Defense, rebounding, and that's exactly what we need in Okc.

N he's underrated, 2nd best center behind D.Howard

bovice163
02-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Big men get paid in this league, what can you do.

PAOboston
02-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Okay, I can buy into that, but the thing is does Jeff Green really become one of the future players of the Celts that leads them to a championship?... the only reason I say that is because just IMO I think that Celts made a slight sacrifice here, then for the future. And I think all of us could agree they were they favorites with the team they had before the deadline. Now, if and it's a big if, this backfires and the Celts don't win a title this year because Shaq or JO couldn't carry the load, then wouldn't it ultimately be a failure? Championships are hard to come by, and if they're planning for a championship in the future when they may have slightly decreased their prospects this year, i think a lot of Celtic fans have a right to be angry. Nothing is guaranteed in the future, and I mean it's not guaranteed that Boston wins this year with or without Perk, but atleast they were the favorites. Now if Green ends up being solid, but they don't win this year... then next year they're basically relying on an older big 3, and an older JO and shaq if they don't retire.

I just think it's not good to mess with a good thing right now. Even if they lost Perk at the end of the year, I think they could've looked in free agency to find a decent replacement, I mean if Ainge was so worried about that, this upcoming FA period has a lot of solid bigs, so why not just play it that way?

i dunno if green is gonna be a main part of the c's rebuilding process but he's definitely a nice piece to have along with the clipper pick in 2012 (even if it's top-10 protected). those are 2 nice chips that couldbe part of another trade.

as far as not messing with success right now, i kinda agree/disagree. but the c's have been successful without perkins for practically the entire season and have the 2nd best record in the nba. obviously you'd say perkins coming back wold hypothetically make them stronger but they also needed some serious backup help at the 3/4 (ala posey) this year b/c pierce was literally the only sf on the team. so to get something good they had to give something good up. i'massuming DA has some sort of plan to fill out the bigs rotation, along with feeling ood about shaq/JO health status, otherwise he would not have done what he did.

Cano4prez
02-25-2011, 06:57 PM

:laugh2: Amare couldn't guard a fire hydrant

shep33
02-25-2011, 06:59 PM
i dunno if green is gonna be a main part of the c's rebuilding process but he's definitely a nice piece to have along with the clipper pick in 2012 (even if it's top-10 protected). those are 2 nice chips that couldbe part of another trade.

as far as not messing with success right now, i kinda agree/disagree. but the c's have been successful without perkins for practically the entire season and have the 2nd best record in the nba. obviously you'd say perkins coming back wold hypothetically make them stronger but they also needed some serious backup help at the 3/4 (ala posey) this year b/c pierce was literally the only sf on the team. so to get something good they had to give something good up. i'massuming DA has some sort of plan to fill out the bigs rotation, along with feeling ood about shaq/JO health status, otherwise he would not have done what he did.

That's true, I mean the Celts have done just fine without him, but come playoff time, Shaq and JO really have to step up. I really think the onus is on them, otherwise if your frontline is dependent on KG and Big Baby it becomes a small lineup. KG would basically have to guard guys like Howard, Bynum, Gasol etc. hopefully they don't get worn out.

Still think they're the faves out east though.

D Roses Bulls
02-25-2011, 06:59 PM
yeah and lebron thinks perkins will sign with the heat next year according to ESPN. yeah lebron, perkins will take the MLE or even less to play for miami when he could be making more money else where.

Nikeman
02-25-2011, 07:04 PM
yeah and lebron thinks perkins will sign with the heat next year according to ESPN. yeah lebron, perkins will take the MLE or even less to play for miami when he could be making more money else where.

Why are you such a hater bro?

Was there any need to post this?

And contributing to the thread, Perkins is def above average, and I see Westbrook creating lots of easy baskets for him. He gives OKC the body to defend the Lakers twin towers.

D Roses Bulls
02-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Why are you such a hater bro?

Was there any need to post this?

And contributing to the thread, Perkins is def above average, and I see Westbrook creating lots of easy baskets for him. He gives OKC the body to defend the Lakers twin towers.

come on now, you dont think that was stupid of him to say something like that? also because it's psd and because im a lebron hater. everyone knows that

bagwell368
02-25-2011, 07:07 PM

x2

Look at his DRtg and DWS before KG showed up.

Look at his hands around the bucket (and his traveling)

How high can he jump? 3.5" ?

Look at the weight (too much) and the crappy 25 min per game average over the past 5 years.
Look at the knees look at the age look at the contract.

Ainge made a fine move, and I wouldn't advise anyone to keep picking at it until we see who the Celts sign up to fill out the roster.

PAOboston
02-25-2011, 07:08 PM
That's true, I mean the Celts have done just fine without him, but come playoff time, Shaq and JO really have to step up. I really think the onus is on them, otherwise if your frontline is dependent on KG and Big Baby it becomes a small lineup. KG would basically have to guard guys like Howard, Bynum, Gasol etc. hopefully they don't get worn out.

Still think they're the faves out east though.

yea i agree. i think they'll be fine though with a big man rotation of shaq/krstic/jo/enter fa signing here. throw in some minutes for kg/baby/green and they should have enough depth/fouls there. like i said DA must have gotten good news on JO to go ahead with the move.

Nikeman
02-25-2011, 07:08 PM
come on now, you dont think that was stupid of him to say something like that? also because it's psd and because im a lebron hater. everyone knows that

He probably saw what Boston offered and thought Miami could match... but I do not think Perk is worth 10 mill a yr, but he'll definitely get it.

Supa
02-25-2011, 07:12 PM
4 years 22millions is the best Boston can do for Perkins? less than MLE ...

---

daboywonder2002
02-25-2011, 07:18 PM

while this def makes sense. ok i get it. when the post big 3 phase begins, perk isnt in the plans. at least for the money he wants. However, what happens after this season?? now you lose perk, shaq will be 40(hopefully retired) or gone. jermaine will be gone. chances of signing jeff green are 50-50. im sure teams will overpay to get jeff green at a price the celts may not want to pay.

thekmp211
02-25-2011, 07:20 PM
i dont care what he was asking for, trade him in the offseason. too important to the team. end of story.

hugepatsfan
02-25-2011, 07:20 PM

I can't figure out what's worse... you saying Amare is a better defender than Perk or you judging defense by blocks and steals.

BkOriginalOne
02-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Celts did what they had to do. Maybe it confused people that they didn't get a true center in the deal. But I think Jeff Green will play well because a guy with his skills should be maximized playing with Rondo and in the Boston Defensive schemes.
They'll be there in the finals. (probably against the Spurs or OKC)

The BodyGuard į
02-25-2011, 07:48 PM
To all the haters.. Perkins will show you all wrong. He's a beast, he plays with passion and toughness. Its suks how when he was with Boston everyone said he was good / an X factor, ect..But now he's with Okc and now ya wanna bash him...Wtf..

YoungOne
02-25-2011, 07:52 PM
4 years 22millions is the best Boston can do for Perkins? less than MLE ...

---

they can't offer him the MLE until after the season.

gilly
02-25-2011, 07:56 PM

:facepalm:

bagwell368
02-25-2011, 08:07 PM
To all the haters.. Perkins will show you all wrong. He's a beast, he plays with passion and toughness. Its suks how when he was with Boston everyone said he was good / an X factor, ect..But now he's with Okc and now ya wanna bash him...Wtf..

Haters? How about reality.

He's overweight (did you know the past 5 years he averages 25 min a game?). He didn't play that many games this year and Shaq outplayed him with the starters.

He's got bad knees already, and he's not even at his physical prime age yet.

He's got awful hands and travels very often when he puts the ball down on the floor.

He was a crap defender until KG and Harter showed up. Now it's all on him in OKC with no help.

dodie53
02-25-2011, 08:35 PM
no to Perk for 10mil a year

icej
02-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Regardless of the reason, no need to trade Perk in a Championship year, where the team with Dominating Big's are expected to be in the finals.

No amount of any reason can be reasonable to a loss to either LA,Mavs, or San Antonio in the Finals this year when you are considered on top among this contenders.

Then... the boston fans shall crucify the FO for this trade.

For the Future Reason is so Crap! -- Why waste a chance to get the ring TODAY when you are considered to have the best chance, for an unguarateed future.

hyb152
02-25-2011, 08:50 PM
I read that yesterday. Can't blame them for it, but I still think they hurt their chances at the chip this year. You can't rely on Shaq and J.O. to come through when it matters.

Remember Nenad Kristic, who they got in the perkins deal, is pretty solid too. He's no perkins, but he's a nice 3rd big man to have in a rotation with Shaq and J.O. He rebounds and plays D. Solid.

Hustlenomics
02-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Regardless of the reason, no need to trade Perk in a Championship year, where the team with Dominating Big's are expected to be in the finals.

No amount of any reason can be reasonable to a loss to either LA,Mavs, or San Antonio in the Finals this year when you are considered on top among this contenders.

Then... the boston fans shall crucify the FO for this trade.

For the Future Reason is so Crap! -- Why waste a chance to get the ring TODAY when you are considered to have the best chance, for an unguarateed future.
posts like these are ridiculous .. Celtics still have a great shot at taking it this year

icej
02-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Celts did what they had to do. Maybe it confused people that they didn't get a true center in the deal. But I think Jeff Green will play well because a guy with his skills should be maximized playing with Rondo and in the Boston Defensive schemes.
They'll be there in the finals. (probably against the Spurs or OKC)

No they dont. Dont fool youself.

No matter how you justify this, this will still look like what it is. - A trade loss.
I like JGreen and I have much respect for his talent, but the C don't have much need for him today(this season) where they are actually the favorite to take the ring out of LA's hands.

Look, ask yourself how much PT should you expect JGreen have during the stretch of the Finals or best of 7 playoffs? Would you want him there on the court, rather than KG or Pierce? Or since it's Perkin's that he's dealt with do rather have him on the center position replacing Perk? or maybe you want KG to play the C to make room for Green in the PF position?

You see, whatever your answer to these is just a simple DOWNGRADE to that of when Perk plays the Center position for Boston.

Panic move's are expected on team's like Miami, Chi,OKC,etc.. where they lack some pieces to compete and win in June, the Boston is already that team.. now they are not. And don't even say Shaq, and J'O please that is just like the Miami's 3 center rotation right there.

The BodyGuard į
02-25-2011, 09:01 PM

He's overweight (did you know the past 5 years he averages 25 min a game?). He didn't play that many games this year and Shaq outplayed him with the starters.

He's got awful hands and travels very often when he puts the ball down on the floor.

He was a crap defender until KG and Harter showed up. Now it's all on him in OKC with no help.

I guess we'll see when we play ya...And he's not gonna be alone. We got Ibaka / Mohammed / Aldrich ect. We will be coming for ya

icej
02-25-2011, 09:03 PM
posts like these are ridiculous .. Celtics still have a great shot at taking it this year

How? Put a hit on Bynum, Duncan, Chandler, Dirk, Gasol, and Perkins maybe?

DoJoTheSlasher
02-25-2011, 09:04 PM

Dwight Howard and Tyson Chandler say hello.

magichatnumber9
02-25-2011, 09:12 PM

He was a crap defender until KG and Harter showed up. Now it's all on him in OKC with no help.You forgot chronic shoulder problems as well. Did the Perkins fan club just grow by 4 million in less then 24 hours? I don't think any basketball player could boast the same. The way this thing is going his jersey will surpass Kobe Bryant's.

Tony_Starks
02-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Damn fool. Then he was shocked and crying about it when he got traded. They still won't win without him though.....

DwayneMVPwade
02-25-2011, 09:15 PM
WOW, no way is he worth 10 million a year

Jewelz0376
02-25-2011, 11:54 PM
10 mil is crazy...If i were boston the most I would've offered is half...He's a good player, but no way in hell he should make that much...If your a C and u make that much you better be able to score too...or at least give me 10+ rebounds a night

Raph12
02-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Anyone surprised? Perk isn't worth the money... No offence.

LA_Raiders
02-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Oh well, I think they should have kept him for the last run... Old Celts are done after this season...

Chronz
02-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Nobody will pay that much for either of these fa

J-Relo
02-26-2011, 05:00 PM

if you think so it means you underrate him...

hugepatsfan
02-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Nobody will pay that much for either of these fa

I think that Perk might be able to get it because of the high value placed on centers. I'm not sure what Green will get. He may be forced to play under the RFA tender for a year, but we'll see.

Sportfan
02-26-2011, 05:39 PM

:laugh:

He's not even top 3.

Sportfan
02-26-2011, 05:40 PM
How? Put a hit on Bynum, Duncan, Chandler, Dirk, Gasol, and Perkins maybe?
From 1 to 4 they are the 2nd best team in the league. The team that is better than them 1-4, are the heat who the celtics beat without Perk. Not to mention they'll have green now as well

Carey
02-26-2011, 06:00 PM
I've heard conflicting reports on what he actually asked for, i think he'll end up getting between 7 and 9 million per for 5 yrs, hopefully it's with the Thunder.

Kakaroach
02-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Makes sense why they traded him but Jeff Green isn't gonna be cheap either and you can argue that Perkins is better and more important to the Celtics than Green will be. Risky move by Ainge, but it might pay off.

Gram
02-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Jeff Green.