PDA

View Full Version : How on earth is Durant deemed loyal?

The Best Around
02-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I like Durant just as much as the next guy...but in the midst of all the Melo stuff, a lot of people were praising Durant for how loyal he is by staying with the Thunder. But how does that prove loyalty? LeBron, Melo, and Bosh are signed back on with their teams at this point, and look how that ended up. Durant is very humble and likable, but to say he is way more loyal than those three is very premature at this point. I hope for OKC's sake that he doesn't follow the others when the time comes, but I imagine OKC will be a huge powerhouse when the time comes.

Phenomenonsense
02-25-2011, 04:22 PM
He's deemed loyal because of the way he went about signing his extension, I assume.

John Walls Era
02-25-2011, 04:23 PM
I agree.

Atticus Finch
02-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Because people need someone to point to and say "see? Lebron should have been more like (fill in the blank)," that way it makes Lebron look bad.

Lim
02-25-2011, 04:27 PM
u r correct sir. if they suck when his contract is up(no idea when that is) and he resigns, then you can call him loyal. loyal = stockton and reggie miller

Sixerlover
02-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Because people need someone to point to and say "see? Lebron should have been more like (fill in the blank)," that way it makes Lebron look bad.

Yup. All of these players that are looking around signed the extension Durant did when they were his age

Flash3
02-25-2011, 04:33 PM
I like Durant just as much as the next guy...but in the midst of all the Melo stuff, a lot of people were praising Durant for how loyal he is by staying with the Thunder. But how does that prove loyalty? LeBron, Melo, and Bosh are signed back on with their teams at this point, and look how that ended up. Durant is very humble and likable, but to say he is way more loyal than those three is very premature at this point. I hope for OKC's sake that he doesn't follow the others when the time comes, but I imagine OKC will be a huge powerhouse when the time comes.

damn right westbrook,durant,ibaka ,perkins :speechless:

Tony_Starks
02-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Its not premature because supposedly Lebron and them set the precident for teaming up with superstars in a larger market, thus Melo...

1- He didn't have to sign the extension

2- He didn't hold his team hostage

3- He always gives his teammates props and expresses appreciation for playing with them

4- He signed the extension with no fanfare, no rumors, and no press conference.

Dr Cyanide 28
02-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Its not premature because supposedly Lebron and them set the precident for teaming up with superstars in a larger market, thus Melo...

3- He always gives his teammates props and expresses appreciation for playing with them

ding ding ding ding

Flojo
02-25-2011, 04:42 PM

2- He didn't go with the trend of bolting for a larger market

When I think of Durant as loyal, its for those two reasons. He's shown a lot of public appreciation for those on his team that aren't given much public attention. Also, a lot of this is about context. Is he "loyal" because he decided to sign an extension with a pretty young team with high prospects? No. But he did it amidst A LOT of free agency hooplah, without seeking to draw any attention to himself.

hugepatsfan
02-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Loyal is the wrong word at this point. What people mean is that he's not a selfish attention whore.

Chronz
02-25-2011, 04:44 PM

Its premature because all of the trios did that at that point in their careers as well. Id like to see Durant stick around after wasting half his career with flawed rosters ala Bron-Bosh. From the looks of it though it seems he will have some good talent around him to grow with, but hey that never stopped Melo from wanting out.

BlueJayFanDan
02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Durant seems like a really good guy.

soonabooma
02-25-2011, 04:49 PM
The reason why Durant always gets so much praise is because he's a basketball player and that's exactly the way he approaches it. He looks at himself as a basketball player, not an entertainer, not a clown who's always looking for the lights and camera. Durant says "this is my job, and I'm gonna go out and do it." He doesn't clown it up the way guys like Lebron do. And the kid is humble as hell, sure he's capable of being cocky, it's hard not to when you're a pro athlete, it's the ultimate dream job. But KD prefers to handle his business in a more humble, respectful way. Other guys are way to cocky, and they showboat way too much, we see it all the time. They think it's all a big joke, they don't know how blessed they truly are, they think LIFE is a damn game. There's no question that Lebron James is about the most talented and physically gifted player to come along, maybe ever. But trust me, the dude is a straight up clown. He doesn't respect his profession, and he sure as hell doesn't respect the gift that God gave him. He's all about being in the spotlight. Everything is a joke to guys like him. He surrounds himself with total idiots and then wonders why he has become a complete and total joke to every person in the universe outside of Miami, Florida. He couldn't approach things the way Kevin Durant does if his life depended on it. And that's why Kevin Durant will one day be mentioned in the same breath as Michael Jordan, and Lebron James NEVER will.

Hawkeye15
02-25-2011, 04:51 PM
I think calling him loyal is fine for now. LeBron, Bosh, Amare, they were all loyal at one point. The biggest difference is Durant appears to have a GM that gives him roster support (kind of like Duncan), so he will be considered "loyal" over his career if he never leaves a dominant team, which would be a stupid thing to do.

I would like to see him in LeBron situation, with a roster full of role players and inferior talent, and see if he stays "loyal" after his 7th year and a new deal was up...

SteveNash
02-25-2011, 05:22 PM
You can't say Durant is very loyal considering how many teams he bailed on before even making it to the NBA.

Crackadalic
02-25-2011, 05:45 PM
If your a star player and your team is more concern in saving cost(denver utah) then building a championship team can you really blame them for wanting to leave?

THE MTL
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
I think its premature too. People call him loyal for being with a team 3 years. Lebron, Melo, Bosh, Wade at the time were all with their teams for 3 years too and they all signed the extensions too (outside of Melo who signed the 5yr extension aka the one Durant signed).

Lets see, Durant with no Westbrook (second star). Cause thats the kinda of situation guys like Wade, Lebron, and Bosh were in.

mikealike305
02-25-2011, 05:58 PM
There arnt any "loyal" players or "unloyal" players. Their are players whos franchise kept them happy, and players who franchise suck

Lake_Show2416
02-25-2011, 06:08 PM
he did wut a real super star does just get the max contract for his current team with out making a peep and moves on.

Durant has an old school mentality, he's wants to be the best n beat the considered top players

hotpotato1092
02-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Why is Durant loyal? Because in an era where superstars collude, lie, beg, basically do anything to play with one another, where it seems that within a few years the big markets will control the league (would you bet against the current Miami trio, the upcoming NY trio, Chicago's MVP and twin towers combo, or either LA team if they get their 2012 targets?), and where players see themselves not as athletes, but as brands, he has chosen to do things the right way. You say all of the other guys signed their first extensions, but to be honest do any of you think there is ANY chance LeBron would have spent more than four years in OKC? If you think that scenario never could have happened, there's a damn close one, Memphis came one lottery ball away from stealing LeBron in the '03 lottery, there's no way in hell he would have stayed. How about Bosh and his desire to be on national TV? Or Carmelo and his pining for New York? I think they all ditch OKC after four years. Durant just isn't like that, he sees himself as part of a team, which is why I'd pick him over anybody to build a team around. He's not LeBron, he's not Carmelo, he'll never be someone who thinks of himself as more important that the team. It's just something we can see. Think about what he's done for that city and that team, it's been less than three years and nobody ever mentions how Clay Bennett stole the team from Seattle. He makes advertisers come to OKC if they want him. He's just a class act. Even though LeBron signed that first extension, it didn't stop him from making comments like "New York is my favorite city, but Brooklyn is my favorite borough" just to hype up his own free agency years in advance. It's just something you can see with him, sure other guys who have been deemed disloyal have done the same thing in terms of their contracts, but none of them have ever been this outwardly loyal to their teams, they've all been more focused on their own careers then on their teams' success.

mikealike305
02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
he did wut a real super star does just get the max contract for his current team with out making a peep and moves on.

Durant has an old school mentality, he's wants to be the best n beat the considered top players

so u think

later in his career, if he still has no rings, and a contender comes around with a better shot at winning it, opens the check book and says, "come get paid and win a ring" he'll leave okc. Hes there and hes happy cuz they are a really good team and they are keeping him happy. If hes not happy, he'll bolt

SteveNash
02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah, those new school players none of them care about being the best and don't care about beating top players.

AddiX
02-25-2011, 06:27 PM

Durant gets treated like Gold by fans and media alike. I get it, but its getting ridiculous. All the other guys signed there first extension with 0 problems too.

This thread has a lot of truth to it.

Hangtime
02-25-2011, 06:30 PM

Yep. Anyways it's early in his career and the other guys did the same thing. The question is will this same team be in tact when his contract is up again and will he bolt after a lack of championship success? Anything can happen between now and then that could make Durant leave elsewhere.

rabzouz 96
02-25-2011, 06:35 PM
what do they have to be loyal for?

JordansBulls
02-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Its premature because all of the trios did that at that point in their careers as well. Id like to see Durant stick around after wasting half his career with flawed rosters ala Bron-Bosh. From the looks of it though it seems he will have some good talent around him to grow with, but hey that never stopped Melo from wanting out.

Why you keep saying that? Those guys had more talent on their teams than Melo did.

bovice163
02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
It's his demeanor on and off the court. He's not arrogant, he plays in a small market and loves it, and he went about signing his extension quietly and professionally. He is in a different class as a person than Melo and LeBron. Somewhere along that could definitely change, as money does that to a good amount of people, but as of now he gives the impression of what a true franchise player should be.

The Best Around
03-01-2011, 12:49 AM
People should also remember that Durant would have been a restricted free agent. So for people who say he is avoiding trios and what not........not really. Even if he wanted to leave (obviously he wouldn't), he still wouldn't really have much of a choice.

And again this doesn't have anything to do with Durant as a person, or shouldn't. Obviously he is a very likable person with the way he always handles himself and what not.

Sixerlover
03-01-2011, 12:54 AM
There arnt any "loyal" players or "unloyal" players. Their are players whos franchise kept them happy, and players who franchise suck

Iverson was loyal. Gave us his prime years with no 2nd option. Definition of no other stars, but stays because of loyalty.

xabial
03-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Iverson was loyal. Gave us his prime years with no 2nd option. Definition of no other stars, but stays because of loyalty.

And yet for no reason he and the 76ers split up last season. It looked like a perfect match and a perfect ending to his career. To this day i still dont understand what went on.

Now he's auditioning in Europe trying to come back to the NBA, for one last stand.

meloman1592
03-01-2011, 01:07 AM
yea i think durant is gonna turn out something like tim duncan...just the small forward version. very quiet and gets the job done with great numbers

mlisica19
03-01-2011, 01:27 AM
When Sports Illustrated asked him 2 do the cover, he said the only way he would if Kristic and another lesser known guy on his team was included.

Rather than going out before any game the night before, he stays in inviting the guys over for dinner or just to hang out.

I think hes deemed loyal because he stated hes not looking to leave, he stated this summer hes ready to beat these guys rather than looking for a better team.

Lebron left his own state, the place he grew up, simply because he wanted a BIGGER market and a BETTER TEAM. The worst of it, he left as soon as he heard two other stars were there. He did it in an immature fashion too.

Melo left his good solid team for a bigger market, for a better team.

Durant doesnt seem like the kinda guy whose going to do this. Hes going to do the Jordan rule. Stay where u started as long as possible, fight your way to the top. The bigger the challenge, the better the acheivement . Play with fire and focus, not with flash and flare. To improve on your game until your ready to play the game at 110%.

Chronz
03-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Why you keep saying that? Those guys had more talent on their teams than Melo did.

I disagree but feel free to prove me wrong

mlisica19
03-01-2011, 01:42 AM
And yet for no reason he and the 76ers split up last season. It looked like a perfect match and a perfect ending to his career. To this day i still dont understand what went on.

Now he's auditioning in Europe trying to come back to the NBA, for one last stand.

What went wrong?

The guy played his entire career just on his skill and talent. He had the quickest hands, above average playmaking, great vision, and one of the fastest bball players in the game. Good outside shot as well. Yea, he had all the talents and all the skill but he forgot one thing. Practice.

He was an immature player, he did not realize that practice makes perfect. He lost his fire, he left his focus behind him and it truly showed on the court. Missing out on self training and team practices WILL always hurt a player and will catch up with them sooner or later.

The same thing is happening to Lebron. I personally think the guy is the most talented athlete in the world today, he practices more than AI ever did but it comes down to the fact that hes an immature player. He seems like the kind of guy who is allowed to run the show on the court and in the dressing room. Back in CLE it seemed as if he was choosing what jersey to wear before the game rather than important game plans. I saw a whole lot of Lebron trying to make high lights. Everything was flare and flash... he is basing his game off of his talent and not preperation and focus.

I kind of wish he gets a chance to be coached by Phil Jackson. That guy knew how to turn bad players into good ones, all stars into heroes and heroes into legends. He turned MJ and KB from show boating young talents into legendary focused heroes for their teams. MJ was all about DUNKS, he was a know it all and thought he could do it all by himself. Kobe thought he could do it by himself as well, he thought he was the best even when he was not. Phil now has 11 championship

Raph12
03-01-2011, 03:51 AM
It's too early to call him on it, but you can't say he's not loyal either...

Geargo Wallace
03-01-2011, 04:16 AM
he's tall.

LakersIn5
03-01-2011, 05:28 AM
i think its premature too. People call him loyal for being with a team 3 years. Lebron, melo, bosh, wade at the time were all with their teams for 3 years too and they all signed the extensions too (outside of melo who signed the 5yr extension aka the one durant signed).

Lets see, durant with no westbrook (second star). Cause thats the kinda of situation guys like wade, lebron, and bosh were in.

this. Lets see what durant is going to do once his extension is going to end.

Bulls_fan90
03-01-2011, 05:44 AM
What has Durant done not to be called loyal? Nothing

So until he goes on espn and announces he's "taking his talents to South Beach" i will continue to call him loyal.

Hellcrooner
03-01-2011, 05:52 AM
its funny they all are so loyal when they will become RESTRICTED Fa , so their team will for SURE match any offer.

abe_froman
03-01-2011, 05:57 AM
do we know he's loyal? no.but who's to say he's not,i mean before accusing someone its best to have some logic,evidence...something,before questioning it.

also even if he wasnt.would that be so bad.there is such a thing as being too loyal,look at kg and countless others who stuck it out with teams who too advantage of it and not reward it by trying to get them help.(i think this what has stars so scared that they are teaming up with these "big 3's" as we're calling them,not wanting to end up like the mitch richmond's)

TheDiggler
03-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Nowadays Loyalty is a fans pipe-dream.

Dnovakovic099
03-01-2011, 12:11 PM
HAHAHAHA the hate by Heat and Knick fans is hilarious. Quickly coming to this thread to defend what Carmelo and LeBron did. I agree that it is too early to tell if he is loyal or not, but for you Knick and Heat fans there are loyal players. Dirk stayed in Dallas and took a paycut. Tim Duncan stayed on the Spurs even though the Magic were better. John Stockton anyone? I don't think anyone cares that LeBron left Cleveland besides Cleavland fans. The problem was that he left to join to make the super team and how he left. Loyalty is overrated because no team would be loyal to a player if he sucked, unless it was towards the end of his career so no player should be loyal to their team if their team sucks.

The thing I like about Durant is that he plays hard and he isn't an arrogant ******* like LeBron. I would rather have Durant then LeBron anyday, and I think that LeBron is the most talented player ever and will end up a top two player of all time and maybe number 1 if he gets enough rings and I am a Bulls fan...

twoearl
03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Yeah, don't be fooled Durant is not a idiot. He re upped with his team for a few more years just to see what management will do. He will follow in Melo's and Bron's footsteps if they screw up, point blank period.

Just like somebody else said people just needed someone to point and say look lebron you could of did it like this guy... SMH at the predictable sports media and writers...

Allstar21
03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Durant was real loyal to the University of Texas

jrm2054
03-01-2011, 01:37 PM
You cant call him loyal more then lebron becasue4 he has and always had a way better cast then lebron in cleveland if the thunder didnt have westbrook and so on i bet he would be gone. Melo left a good team because he wanted to play at home

Gambeezy
03-01-2011, 01:51 PM

JB, you may be the only poster on PSD that believes that. Please try to formulate an argument for it. I'd love to hear it.

Ray_R
03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
As far as I know he is loyal becuase he signed the extension. Lebron Melo and Bosh were also loyal when they signed their extension but they left their teams and now there not. Simple as that, until Durant leaves OKC he would still be considered Loyal.

CowboysKB24
03-01-2011, 03:04 PM

Show a link or something. I don't feel this way. It is easy to say he is loyal because it seems like he is going to stay with the Thunder. They are getting better each year. We will see if he is loyal when his contract is up.

hoopsguy820
03-01-2011, 03:18 PM
You said it yourself...He's Loyal!! Plains and simple