PDA

View Full Version : Is the sustained success in the West due to coaching?

GodsSon
02-25-2011, 03:23 PM
In lieu of the recent debates of whether the balance of power has finally shifted from West to East, I was wondering if the sustained success of the Western conference over the last decade can be largely attributed to its superior coaching.

When looking at the coaching staffs across the league, the Western Conference possesses some of the biggest names in the NBA in Popovich, Jackson and until recently, Jerry Sloan. Not to mention guys like George Karl, Nate McMillan (perhaps the most underrated coach in the entire L), Rick Carlisle and Rick Adelman. That's nearly half of the Conference which has the luxury of strong coaching every game. Are there seven better coaches in the Eastern Conference? In my opinion, there isn't.

So while it is arguable that PLAYER talent has shifted to the Eastern Conference, does the West continue to horde the best coaches/team systems? And is that the reason that it has maintained its position as the better of the two Conferences.

Thoughts?

210Don
02-25-2011, 03:24 PM
maybe i think the gms are smarter too and the cores of the west been together longer than east
spurs lakers mavs

GodsSon
02-25-2011, 03:29 PM
maybe i think the gms are smarter too and the cores of the west been together longer than east
spurs lakers mavs

Hmmm, ya I should have expanded it to include the GM's as well. Meh, we'll just focus on coaching for now lol

GodsSon
02-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Decided to bump this because I actually want to see some feedback on the thread topic. Especially since I've seen varying threads recently about power shifting from West to East.

Broadwayjoe NY
02-26-2011, 04:35 PM
I've always been of the notion that once you get a champion in one conference/league (much like football) those teams raise the bar for everyone else in the conference, making it much more competitive. It's one of the reasons the AFC has been so dominant of late.

Yes, there's obviously a lot more that goes into it ie. coaching and front office like you mentioned. However, I still feel that the general level of competition, when teams know that they have to go up against the defending champions, raises the overall talent pool in that conference.

heattiltheend94
02-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Never really thought about it like that, but now that you mention it....yea, that could be a legit reason. I think Stan Van Gundy and Rivers are two stellar coaches that come from the east. I also think Thibedeou (I knew I butchered his name) and Spo are good, but haven't been coaching for that many years. While the west has many good coaches. Good idea :clap: