PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets 2-0 Without Melo, are they better or just a good start?

JNA17
02-25-2011, 02:13 AM
I have heard some good arguments for both sides for the Nuggets with or without melo.

After the trade, most people think that the nuggets would decide to rebuild because of the type of talent they got from it and that they would get worse short term because they lost one of the best scorers in the league. Some other people think that the Nuggets (including Nuggets George Karl in his recent interview) that the Nuggets can now play much better at defense and because the Nuggets seem to have very deep team, they can focus on playing much better team player and finally gives the players the chance to find themselves on offense.

So far since the trade, they beat a Gay-less Grizzlies with only nine players available for the game, and just recently tonight, they beat a number 1 team in the East the Boston Celtics by 14. Despite the small sample size, are the Nuggets going to be as good if not better before the trade or is this just a good start with more games left in the season?

Remember people have said already that they would drop out of the playoffs and fall to the 10th spot after the trade even after being praised for the trade. Although they showed something interesting on TNT during the nuggets and celtics game where the Nuggets defense are currently one of the worst in the league with blocks, steals, forced TOs, oPPG, etc. Do you think this will change because of the trade as well?

Chacarron
02-25-2011, 02:15 AM
The Nuggets have hungry young players. They have depth at every position. Tonight, they beat a Boston team that just traded away 2 role players and both O'neals were out. I can't say they are better, but they are fun as hell to watch when they beat teams I don't like.

Kenny
02-25-2011, 02:17 AM
I can't wait till 6 weeks from now we can pop up this thread again after the Nuggets show what they are.. Cavs did the same thing early on they also beat Boston. Eventually it really shows when you miss your superstar

Giaps
02-25-2011, 02:18 AM
I liked the way they looked and maybe now these ex-Knicks can get the respect they deserve now that they're not Knicks, but I think adrenaline and emotion can really do a lot for you... I'm giving it 10 games till I pass judgment.

Knick_Fever
02-25-2011, 02:18 AM
A nice start following the trade including an impressive win against the Boston Celtics. The new look Nuggets shut the Celtics down with a stiffling defensive performance down the stretch. Its amazing how this team figured out how to edge out a win against the elite Celtics, while implementing three news players into the system in their debut. I gotta tell ya, this team is one of the deepest teams in the league and have a bright future. Just wait untill they get some real chemistry, they will be scary. I can see them making some noise in the playoffs and I wont be surprised if they advance in the playoffs. Congratulations Denver Nuggets fans, you got just as good of a deal as the Knicks. You guys have a great organization from the GM down to the players. Again, congratulations and best of luck.
I will end it with this proclamation: The Denver Nuggets are a better team.

iggypop123
02-25-2011, 02:20 AM
gotta see what they do on the road. they are very much on the high off getting new players. remember orlando after their trade?

Duddy
02-25-2011, 02:21 AM
The Nuggets have hungry young players. They have depth at every position. Tonight, they beat a Boston team that just traded away 2 role players and both O'neals were out. I can't say they are better, but they are fun as hell to watch when they beat teams I don't like.

Yeah, those guys are really hungry right now. That offensive board followed by the sick dunk by Nene just showed that.

valade16
02-25-2011, 02:23 AM
Just a good start, but that doesn't preclude them from being better.

In short the sample size is far too small to make an informed decision.

GoatMilk
02-25-2011, 02:23 AM
they're legitimately 2 deep at every position. love that

and at times, that athleticism is pretty overwhelming
Lawson/JR/Chander/KMart/Nene

they could cause a headache, but no go-to guy

BRAVE KID
02-25-2011, 02:25 AM
Way too early. While the Nuggets did win..they have a lot of things to work on...you can easily tell how dysfunctional the Nugs were throughout the game. So while they were fortunate that the celtics were short handed, the celtics were fortunate that was the Nuggets first game together. The good news though is that most of the work the Nuggs need to work on is just getting chemistry together. Karl needs to work on his rotations, the nuggets actually have to pass to the new guys, defense can always be worked on, ball movement..ball movement..and ball movement. Again though..with time we'll see.

Entertaining game though.

AddiX
02-25-2011, 02:31 AM
They have depth and they spread there minutes throughout the roster. Nene seems to be the only guy to get more minutes than everyone else.

Everyone knows there going to play and everyone knows there gonna sit sometimes.

Pretty fun to watch TBH.

kozelkid
02-25-2011, 02:38 AM
They remind me of a few recent teams who had some success, 04-07 Bulls, 09-10 Rockets and the Blazers this year without Roy.

This is by no means a championship caliber team. But this is a team that will play tough defense and maybe be an average offensive. They will work hard and make it hard for most teams.

They will be a very enjoyable team to watch and veyr fun to root. Believe me I loved the 06-07 Bulls who never really had a chance, but always played their heart out. I think Denver is similar.

And to end this, I always found Melo overrated. There's a reason that in the past 3 years when Melo didn't play, that team had a good record. They have a lot of above average players. No "great" players which is why they aren't anything more than a 1st, maybe 2nd round team if EXTREMELY lucky. But already, I'm becoming a big fan.

Mudvayne91
02-25-2011, 02:40 AM
I liked the way they looked and maybe now these ex-Knicks can get the respect they deserve now that they're not Knicks, but I think adrenaline and emotion can really do a lot for you... I'm giving it 10 games till I pass judgment.

Yep. It'd be easy for me to say otherwise, but I'm withholding judgement. It's too early and emotions can carry a team for only so long. I do like what I see so far though

Kashmir13579
02-25-2011, 02:42 AM
Gallo and Chandler are above average players no doubt. people just didn't realize it cause they hate the Knicks.

MELO 15
02-25-2011, 02:43 AM
They remind me of a few recent teams who had some success, 04-07 Bulls, 09-10 Rockets and the Blazers this year without Roy.

This is by no means a championship caliber team. But this is a team that will play tough defense and maybe be an average offensive. They will work hard and make it hard for most teams.

They will be a very enjoyable team to watch and veyr fun to root. Believe me I loved the 06-07 Bulls who never really had a chance, but always played their heart out. I think Denver is similar.

And to end this, I always found Melo overrated. There's a reason that in the past 3 years when Melo didn't play, that team had a good record. They have a lot of above average players. No "great" players which is why they aren't anything more than a 1st, maybe 2nd round team if EXTREMELY lucky. But already, I'm becoming a big fan.
You just lost credability after that melo comment:facepalm:

Chronz
02-25-2011, 02:44 AM
I am REALLY pulling for the Nuggs now, I want so badly for Melo to be exposed

Jenceman
02-25-2011, 02:47 AM
I am REALLY pulling for the Nuggs now, I want so badly for Melo to be exposed

I don't think he'll be exposed too much. The Nuggets will probably play well, but I think that will be due more to their increased overall depth more than Melo's shortcomings. Could see a better defense in Denver, but Gallinari starting at forward is in no way an upgrade defensively over Melo.

JNA17
02-25-2011, 02:48 AM
You just lost credability after that melo comment:facepalm:

is it because ur account name is melo 15?

Albrecht Duerer
02-25-2011, 02:51 AM
I said this in the Nuggets thread. Its not so much that they substitute as much as it is that they have shift changes. Karl is now equipped with two PGs that can really push tempo and their depth can really let them take advantage of the altitude in Denver.

They should be an easy team to pull for because theyll probably spread it around a lot.

Robbw241
02-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Werent we saying this about the Cavs? Give it more then 2 games, I love the talent they have though

tr4shb0t
02-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Yea it is common for this to happen.

The NBA is a business. Nugget fans having a hard time with the loss of Melo, so the league will try and give them confidence so all the fans don't flee. It's a temporary thing.

DerekRE_3
02-25-2011, 03:03 AM
2 games.

Chi StateOfMind
02-25-2011, 03:04 AM
they have depth and talent at every position but i feel they will miss melo later on in late close games

Avenged
02-25-2011, 03:13 AM
People make it seem like he was the worse player on the Nuggets roster.. Regardless if you don't like him or thinks he sucks, he was still their best player.

kyubi256
02-25-2011, 03:13 AM
I wouldn't say better... The guys did not look good for a good portion out there. They were not in the same page and were making bad passes. And they did not have the stopper who they could count on when everything was wrong.

I say they are not better. They can be in the future, but not now

hgtiger32
02-25-2011, 03:29 AM
i actually think nuggets have a good thing going. and please don't compare this to the cavs. melo had a better supporting cast that he played with so when he left they weren't going to be as bad as cleveland. plus they did get a bunch of really good players from the knicks.

i think JR Smith is really going to blossum. I think he will be their closer at the end of games, like what Melo was.

plus it seems like George Karl likes being able to run up and down the court without having to slow it down for anthony to dribble around and shoot a lot

jonline87
02-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Gallinari + Chandler = Carmelo

Mudvayne91
02-25-2011, 03:37 AM
People make it seem like he was the worse player on the Nuggets roster.. Regardless if you don't like him or thinks he sucks, he was still their best player.

I can't deny that. My only beef with him besides maybe effort on defense (rotating and blocking out mostly) was he could kill the tempo of the game at times with his dribbling for 20 seconds and then taking a 18 footer. I think Charles Barkley called him a ball killer or something. But yeah, easily was the best player.

TheBatchelor213
02-25-2011, 03:43 AM
I can't wait till 6 weeks from now we can pop up this thread again after the Nuggets show what they are.. Cavs did the same thing early on they also beat Boston. Eventually it really shows when you miss your superstar

Nuggets are a heck of alot different than the Cavs....Nuggets are legit. They need to mesh and Karl needs to let Smith take over as late game scorer and this team can be real dangerous. I would love to see them go deeper than the Nuggets. They all should be playing with a chip on their shoulder. Definitely cheering for them.

kyubi256
02-25-2011, 04:21 AM
Nuggets have an actual team out there unlike the Cavs. I think they might make the playoffs this year, even without their two all stars.

But I feel that they went from one of the better teams in the West to one of those that will barely inch their way into the playoffs

Dr Cyanide 28
02-25-2011, 04:29 AM
is it because ur account name is melo 15?

lmao this. was thinking the exact same thing

Mudvayne91
02-25-2011, 04:31 AM

So what is it you're expecting in 42 days? I don't think they miss the playoffs....

MJ-BULLS
02-25-2011, 04:37 AM
there a good young hungry team to watch, very fun to watch in fact after they defeated the Celtics tonight. i think they have the chance of being a solid team, but not great.

¿QUE?
02-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Theyre a team people can root for. I hope they do well there only issue is that they don't quite have the go to guy yet thats what they lost with carmelo. JR or Chandler might step up into that but they gotta prove they can be consistent. Fun to watch tho

PraiseJesus
02-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Melo sucks he is a ball hog and selfish player.

Billups is a bigger loss than Melo

TheDiggler
02-25-2011, 07:42 AM
They are different. They don't have the "hole", James f.e. left in Cleveland. Deep teams without a real (super)star can definitely work (see the Pistons some time ago).

Iron24th
02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
After 2 games...really???

The Jokemaker
02-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Little early folks... I remember beginning of the season people were talking about how Cleveland would be ok and could make a playoff push. Then they played more games. Let's wait and see after a month or two goes by and then see if the Nuggets are in fact better.

pebloemer
02-25-2011, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't say they are better, but they may have the best bench in the league now.

Felton, JR Smith, Chandler, Harrington and Anderson off the bench makes them a very deep team with plenty of scoring options. I'm actually quite curious what George Karl can do with that roster.

Edit: No one should compare this team to Cleveland. Denver's bench is better than Cleveland's starting 5.

Rentzias
02-25-2011, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't say better... The guys did not look good for a good portion out there. They were not in the same page and were making bad passes. And they did not have the stopper who they could count on when everything was wrong.

I say they are not better. They can be in the future, but not now

It's 2 games missing major players, and first game with new players. Of course they won't be on the same page and making "bad passes." The Nuggets didn't have a stopper before (I'm assuming you mean defensively), but they did go on a 16-0 run to close the game, so that looks like SOME stoppage to me, team-wise.

I'm not sure what's a good cutoff point to measure the team, two games is obviously not going to be it as these guys are all amped.

Slimsim
02-25-2011, 10:18 AM
I love the new Nuggets My team in the west

OG "Dee" LOCc
02-25-2011, 10:30 AM
didnt the cavs go 9-9 ;)

X12Celtics3
02-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Yup, beating the skeleton of the Celtics team of two days ago is pretty impressive :p

Really, though, I do think their trade gave them a good future.

NYKSpiritBomb
02-25-2011, 10:40 AM
i think that the ex-knick players are going to flourish after years playing in D'antoni's **** uptempo system that will never be efficient enough to win a championship. i think the nugs are right behind the thunder in the west talent-wise, watch out for them in the playoffs

CowboysKB24
02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
It is only two games. This is pointless.

Kashmir13579
02-25-2011, 11:59 AM
'Melo is now the most hated player :facepalm:

who's it gonna be next year?

HakeemTheDream
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Nuggets were 1st in the league in offense, without Melo they are still an above average offensive team with a lot of weapons, and now they have gotten better defensively which is evident in the win against the Celtics holding them to 75 points.

Albrecht Duerer
02-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Theyre a team people can root for. I hope they do well there only issue is that they don't quite have the go to guy yet thats what they lost with carmelo. JR or Chandler might step up into that but they gotta prove they can be consistent. Fun to watch tho

You can tell right now its going to be Chandler. Chandler is smarter with the ball. Smith is the kind of guy who, when he is on, you keep feeding it to him. Chandler seems like he's smart enough to get to the FT line when the 3 isnt falling. He seems less likely to take bad shots and more willing to pass when the defense collapses.

I saw a Knick fan recently say that Chandler should thrive in a more conventional offense away from D'Antoni's offense. Im really starting to see where he was coming from.

MrfadeawayJB
02-25-2011, 12:26 PM
They actually might be better, but time will tell. They are definitly better defensivley and in the depth department, but they lack the big time "game is on the line" scorer. However Chandler may develop into that, and we all know JR Smith has ice water in his veins.

xbrackattackx
02-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Everyone comparing this team to the Cavs, Should be comparing them to the Heat IMO. Everyone said the heat sucked, then they got chemistry and never looked back. Give this team the rest of this season, Playoffs or not. And let them resign Chandler,Get Kmart on the cheap and someone with the cap space from Kenyon Martin. They could be a scary team man. I am pulling for them I always liked Chandler and Felton.

drama1386
02-25-2011, 01:51 PM
I really like the new nuggets. I think that they have improved defensively but I'll wait until they play a few more games to make any type of judgement...