PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley, The Analyst

sintaks12
02-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Feel free to lock, move, etc... but I'm curious what the PSD fans think about Charles Barkley as an NBA analyst. I hear people say they really like his commentary. IMO, he's HORRIBLE. For a HOF player, he's kinda clueless... and VERY opinionated. He just said post-Melo trade, that Denver beats NY in a 7 game series. Really Chuck? IMO, he's comic relief only.

Sorry, maybe not thread worthy. I just can't stand that guy.

shen
02-24-2011, 08:28 PM
He is about as bad as Skipp Bayless.

Cano4prez
02-24-2011, 08:28 PM
I love Chuck :shrug:

Hustlenomics
02-24-2011, 08:31 PM
a funny cool guy that doesn't believe half the things he says and laughs at people who actually take him serious when the cameras aren't rolling

ramsizzle
02-24-2011, 08:34 PM
you scoff at denver and why? they might still make the playoffs in the west... its not out of the question.

Blazers23
02-24-2011, 08:38 PM
He's great, he is freakin funny. Just look him up on youtube he says some of the most random things! TNT struck gold with him and Kenny

UKblazers
02-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Seems like he only watches the games he covers for tnt,didn't know people take him seriously

sintaks12
02-24-2011, 08:41 PM
you scoff at denver and why? they might still make the playoffs in the west... its not out of the question.

I don't scoff at them. Far from it. They have half my team, lol. They just aren't beating the Knicks in a 7 game series... sorry. I wish Denver the best of luck and hope they do make the playoffs. Go Gallo!

a funny cool guy that doesn't believe half the things he says and laughs at people who actually take him serious when the cameras aren't rolling

No offense intended, but... no. He takes everything he says very seriously but sounds like a buffoon. He's a commentator in clown shoes.

Anilyzer
02-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Feel free to lock, move, etc... but I'm curious what the PSD fans think about Charles Barkley as an NBA analyst. I hear people say they really like his commentary. IMO, he's HORRIBLE. For a HOF player, he's kinda clueless... and VERY opinionated. He just said post-Melo trade, that Denver beats NY in a 7 game series. Really Chuck? IMO, he's comic relief only.

He seems pretty drunk most of the time, and he also seems to have eaten way to much food before going on the air. He comes across as simultaneously arrogant and stupid, an opinionated know it all burping out deep South pidgeon English. Buffoon. Embarassment.

Fnom11
02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
He's funny, but never take anything he says literally.

CityofTreez
02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Charles Barkley is a great example of today's media problem. = Going to ****

Evolution23
02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
He makes me laugh a lot so that means he is good

knicksfan42
02-24-2011, 08:47 PM
This doesn't need to be a thread like another poster here said no one takes him seriously, he's on the air as a joke. People tune in to see if he can out stupid himself with each broadcast.

sintaks12
02-24-2011, 08:51 PM
This doesn't need to be a thread like another poster here said no one takes him seriously, he's on the air as a joke. People tune in to see if he can out stupid himself with each broadcast.

Maybe so. He just rubs me the wrong way. I like commentators who are objective. The NBA TV crew is WAAAAAAY better than TNT. Webber, The Czar, Dennis Scott, Berry... it's not even close. These guys talk hoops... they don't try to get laughs.

Only reason I made a thread was to see what others thought.

kswissdaf
02-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Why does everybody hate every single analyst out there i mean how cant u like charles barkley

sintaks12
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Why does everybody hate every single analyst out there i mean how cant u like charles barkley

Actually, it's not that hard to dislike Chuck. Really.

CityofTreez
02-24-2011, 09:00 PM

Cause I don't want to.

icej
02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Chuck is VERY funny give another dimension to analysis but just don't bank on his intelligence so much.

Anilyzer
02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
honestly he has a bit of that... uh... I don't want to make this sound ugly... but he comes across as a bit of a stereotype--he's got this kind of southern "yasssir, boss, right away" thing going on with the way he talks, and he doesn't present himself that well as he often seems drunk, sleepy, grumpy and just somewhat ridiculous.

Also he seems to go out of his way to criticize the Lakers and especially Kobe, as well as Lebron. This seems to relate to his never having won a title, and isn't very objective.

yeah he never seems that funny to me, more like annoying. Even when he hits on something funny it is still vaguely annoying.

I guess what I'm saying is that he sucks as a role model.

NYKSpiritBomb
02-24-2011, 09:19 PM
chuck barkley is chuck norris,:lift:

J-Relo
02-24-2011, 09:25 PM
he's awesome

AlexTmz2
02-24-2011, 09:30 PM
He loves the underdog team and you can tell sometimes he has no idea what he's talking about.

COOLbeans
02-24-2011, 09:33 PM
You can agree or disagree with him but the reason why people tune in is not for Kenny Smith and definitely not for Ernie. Barkley is cultural basketball gold always has been and always will be.

smith&wesson
02-24-2011, 09:34 PM
you show sir charles barkley some respect. the man is a hall of famer, and a top 50 all time player. he can fart on the microphone and would still have my respect.

plus he is funny and unique, he isnt just a voice behind the mike he brings his own swag to broacasting and i like it. he aint dull. and he doesnt just say safe things, he makes controversial comments and that stirs things up and makes things interesting especially come play off time.

if any thing i find kenny smith kind of annoying with his " i know all " aproach to broadcasting. at least barkley admits when he is wrong and he is humble in terms of his ego.

HakeemTheDream
02-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Sometimes he's actually right with his crazy opinions. I think Nuggets are better than the Knicks after the trade too, Melo is not a good team player and Knicks lost a lot of depth.

smith&wesson
02-24-2011, 09:35 PM
you can agree or disagree with him but the reason why people tune in is not for kenny smith and definitely not for ernie. Barkley is cultural basketball gold always has been and always will be.

this.

COOLbeans
02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
He loves the underdog team and you can tell sometimes he has no idea what he's talking about.

okay. he loves the Spurs and hates the Warriors.

Yeah go underdog! :facepalm:

sintaks12
02-24-2011, 09:40 PM
You can agree or disagree with him but the reason why people tune in is not for Kenny Smith and definitely not for Ernie. Barkley is cultural basketball gold always has been and always will be.

Lol, what? Again, opinionated comic relief. And, for the record, you're right. People do probably tune in to see him... at least the casual passer-by. But anyone who appreciates real analysis, like you get during NFL commentary... well, that's just not Chuck. I'll take Kenny Smith every day and twice on Sunday over good ole' Chuck and his condescending rants and diatribes.

sintaks12
02-24-2011, 09:44 PM
you show sir charles barkley some respect. the man is a hall of famer, and a top 50 all time player. he can fart on the microphone and would still have my respect.

plus he is funny and unique, he isnt just a voice behind the mike he brings his own swag to broacasting and i like it. he aint dull. and he doesnt just say safe things, he makes controversial comments and that stirs things up and makes things interesting especially come play off time.

if any thing i find kenny smith kind of annoying with his " i know all " aproach to broadcasting. at least barkley admits when he is wrong and he is humble in terms of his ego.

Hey... mad respect to Charles as a player. No question. He was a monster. He's just a horrible commentator. Plain and simple. Sure, he's controversial... but he's also nonsensical. So, in the end, I guess I agree. He's there for entertainment value... but, he's mostly clueless in his analysis.

da wood
02-24-2011, 09:46 PM
I actually like chuck thing he pings on a lot of stuff that nobody wants to touch. Plus he makes a lot of bold predictions. Which I do tend to agree with a lot of them like the fact that the spurs aren't elven the best team in Texas and oddly I agree with him. And for the record he gives props where props at for the way Kobe really stacks up to Jordan

Arch Stanton
02-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Barkley at least has more personality than Chris Webber. Don't think Webber should be a TV personality.

John Walls Era
02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Hes funny, but if you use him as a source or quote him then you discredit yourself.

MetsAllTheWay
02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
he's hilarious love him

JJ_JKidd
02-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Very very funny and entertaining. You should youtube their TNT gimmicks and u gonna love him (them) im pretty sure. :p

bom tenson
02-24-2011, 11:49 PM
he's hilarious love him

agreed haha

nigerianking
02-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Barkley at least has more personality than Chris Webber. Don't think Webber should be a TV personality.

kinda agree...but Webber is definitely improving..he used to be very stiff, but now hes ok

0nekhmer
02-25-2011, 12:07 AM
to be honest i wouldn't be surprised if nuggets beat NY right now. they have more chemistry, way more depth. and probably could win in a 7 game series. this is only at the moment though. after this season. knicks will get their pieces

Lakerhead4ever
02-25-2011, 12:13 AM

i understand what your saying. he says one thing one day and the next day he say another. he tries to be different which make him looks like a fool. but i love the guy. him kenny and ernie are tooo comedy. kenny knows what hes talking about

but i do kinda agree with what he said about denver beat NY. i dnt think ppl realizes how deep the nuggets are. and in my opinion ty lawson is going to lead that team now that billups is gone. NY has no depth at all

king4day
02-25-2011, 12:14 AM

This thread is actually a breath of fresh air.

I like him as an analyst. He brings more comic relief than anything (unintentional usually)

farren.louis
02-25-2011, 12:16 AM
The best analyst to me

Anilyzer
02-25-2011, 12:37 AM
I guess I shouldn't be soooo critical of him; I don't really watch the TNT broadcasts all that often. He does say things that are somewhat cringe-worthy at times...

also, I really don't like the off-the-cuff criticism of Kobe and the Lakers and especially, especially Lebron. He seems to take issue with their "arrogance" is always really quick to jump on the "this team/this guy is super arrogant" type of bandwagon. Which is probably why a lot of people like him.

Magic is the worst commentator. He has a way of saying the stupidest, and also most anti-Laker things at times, while at the same time sounding really enthusiastic about it. Like "Wooowwwwww" and the Magic Smile is now more like the Gary Coleman Grin. It was ridiculous last year when he was gushing about Rondo and Pierce while the Lakers were playing Boston in the Finals -- then he had to eat his words BIG TIME after the Lakers won, and he shows up at the Laker parade all like "yaaaaaay, Lakers"

JiffyMix88
02-25-2011, 12:43 AM
I love chuck i go home and watch the replay of what he says cause hes funny and majority of the stuff he says becomes or is true....

RZZZA
02-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Chuck is great, he loves the Bulls, and the Bulls love him back.

RZZZA
02-25-2011, 12:46 AM

and reggie miller is worse

assisi805
02-25-2011, 12:50 AM
This just in TNT cast considering NBA comeback.. Reggie miller has reportedly signed a 10 day contract with the OKC thunder.. Kenny smith is taking his talents to south beach on veterans minimum signing.. and the big man Charles Barkly will also being laying on a beach by day and teaming with Dwayne wade for more commercials at night as he signs 10 day contract with Miami Heat.

bulldog312
02-25-2011, 12:50 AM
I love him, but solely because of his personality. I don't put much stock in his actual basketball opinion.

blastmasta26
02-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Barkley is entertaining, as is the whole TNT crew. Analysis is not something to look for from Charles.

Mr.ATLHawks
02-25-2011, 01:31 AM

My thoughts exactly my man. Charles Barkley gives you the real deal and although it might be a bad opinion who is to say he is wrong. Nuggets still have a very skilled team so what he said is not that far fetched. The Knicks barely beat the Bucks last night and everybody is on the Knick train right now. Im nt saying they would beat the Knicks in a 7 game series but I dont think its so out of the question that the man should be called a moron for it.

Felton
JR
Gallo
K Mart
Nene

Bench: Mosgov, Chandler, Lawson, Birdman....Nuggest still have a respectable lineup and IMO Jr Smith can put up 26 ppg....

bovice163
02-25-2011, 01:33 AM
I love Chuck, he always makes me laugh. But he is also one of the bigger flip-floppers from the TNT analysts.

Mr.ATLHawks
02-25-2011, 01:34 AM
i understand what your saying. he says one thing one day and the next day he say another. he tries to be different which make him looks like a fool. but i love the guy. him kenny and ernie are tooo comedy. kenny knows what hes talking about

but i do kinda agree with what he said about denver beat NY. i dnt think ppl realizes how deep the nuggets are. and in my opinion ty lawson is going to lead that team now that billups is gone. NY has no depth at all

I just refuse to believe that someone like Charles, who played at a very hgih level in the NBA, can be clueless. he should be able to recognize cerrtain things on teams and within certain players that the average commentator like Ernie, who I dont believe played, wouldnt know.

c smooth1810
02-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Denver actually has really good depth now, its not that crazy to think that could beat them. Dont think THIS Knicks team is that good, its not a finished product. You New Yorkers need to relax

Gritz
02-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Denver probably would beat NY in a 7 game series, that idea isn't farfetched at all

ClayMatthews
02-25-2011, 01:55 AM
He has his favorites, obviously.

goose15
02-25-2011, 01:58 AM
he crackes me up, Charles tells it like it is..

TopsyTurvy
02-25-2011, 02:05 AM
TNT's show is the best sports show among every professional sport. You get opinionated, brash, and straight analysis from some of the best of all time. It includes player perspectives and executive perspectives - all while interjecting some honest humor.

Chacarron
02-25-2011, 02:10 AM
Don't hate on the Chuckster. He is awesome.

Gritz
02-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Im still looking for those hyperdunks Kenny Smith was advertising

Mishmin
02-25-2011, 02:27 AM
Did anyone hear in the all-star break, after Blake Griffin's dunk. Charles makes a comment like "it's like you got a pretty girl, she dumb, it don't matter". Is this borderline offensive for someone to say at a family event?

1:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnXHiSQ-rGk

Furthermore, if Ernie had said it, would he have been suspended?

SB75
02-25-2011, 02:28 AM
Charles is drunk most of the time. And I qoute..." Rondo is the straw that stirs the drink for the Celtics."- Charles Barkley......... Now you tell me what he was thinking about? Between comments like that, slurring words, and messing up peoples names...... I just tune him out.

I know he's a big personality and that show kind of needs it. But to me it's hard to listen to the guy. My MOM loves him though and she doesn't drink. Go figgure.

Doogolas
02-25-2011, 02:32 AM
I love Charles.

Also, the "Rondo is the straw in the drink" makes perfect sense. It's like a "Cherry on top" or "Icing on the cake".

kozelkid
02-25-2011, 02:34 AM
I consider him more of an entertainer than an "analyst". I don't think he's any worse than Tim Legler, Jon Barry, JVG, Bill Walton, Jalen Rose etc. NBA just doesn't have many good analysts.

He's an entertaining. He's a buffoon, but he knows it. Believe me he does, that's why they always have that segment every year where they ask him what team random players are on.

SB75
02-25-2011, 02:40 AM
I love Charles.

Also, the "Rondo is the straw in the drink" makes perfect sense. It's like a "Cherry on top" or "Icing on the cake".

LOL..... You know he was talking about a drink he had in mind.:)

JiffyMix88
02-25-2011, 02:42 AM
Did anyone hear in the all-star break, after Blake Griffin's dunk. Charles makes a comment like "it's like you got a pretty girl, she dumb, it don't matter". Is this borderline offensive for someone to say at a family event?

1:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnXHiSQ-rGk

Furthermore, if Ernie had said it, would he have been suspended?

its true though

Rego247
02-25-2011, 02:51 AM
I consider him more of an entertainer than an "analyst". I don't think he's any worse than Tim Legler, Jon Barry, JVG, Bill Walton, Jalen Rose etc. NBA just doesn't have many good analysts.

He's an entertaining. He's a buffoon, but he knows it. Believe me he does, that's why they always have that segment every year where they ask him what team random players are on.

this.

Who he play fo?

Tony_Starks
02-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Charles Barkley is cool because he keeps it real and doesn't worry about being politically correct. He has many many jokes but if you pay attention he knows his basketball. IMO the only people that don't take him serious are fans of the teams he says are not any good. His basic thing is that a team that doesn't defend or rebound is not going to go far. How can you argue with that?

Also his comparisons are hilarious. I remember when I think it was Cleveland and Washington playing each other and he was like "its like going to a bar full of ugly girls, somebody gotta win!!"

CowboysKB24
02-26-2011, 01:25 AM
He is about as bad as Skipp Bayless.

bayless is the best