PDA

View Full Version : Does Danny Ainge know something we don't?

hgtiger32
02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Could it be that Perkins knee is REALLY bad?

Could it be that the Celtics are going to make a run at Dwight Howard?

Or was Danny Ainge drunk? Or maybe Pat Riley was holding him hostage and made him do this trade?

goblazers7
02-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Perk got hurt again, and I think its worse than it is

bbd24
02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Anybody coming off major knee surgery could have issues moving forward. The fact that Perkins is a big man doesn't help. Great trade for the Celtics.

Green is no slouch, and there sure to also get another piece with a 10-20 1st round pick from the Clippers in the coming years.

Hoopsadvocate
02-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Umm neither its the fact that they didnt wanna pay perk big money and they need to save money so they gave away a lot of players for nothing. But then again they didnt really need many of those players. ANd it was also to add to their future by bringing in some youth to grow with rondo when kg/shaq/ray get close to retirement.

hotpotato1092
02-24-2011, 07:24 PM
It's very possible. But I think the far more likely solution is that although he didn't wanna gut their depth of big men, Ainge knew he couldn't count on Paul Pierce to defend LeBron James for 7 games while also remaining offensively efficient. He's been able to do it for a game at a time based almost entirely on emotion, but his body simply can't handle it over seven games. Jeff Green gives them someone who can give them something offensively while also containing LeBron. At the end of the day, Kendrick Perkins is replaceable, so I guess he felt that stopping LeBron had to be the priority. My question is why trade Erden and Harangody? They've both shown they can at least help off the bench. I think we'll definitely see Troy Murphy in green within the week, and it's very possible that Rasheed Wallace joins him.

tangent12
02-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Nah, he really is stupid, that's all.

Hoopsadvocate
02-24-2011, 07:28 PM
It's very possible. But I think the far more likely solution is that although he didn't wanna gut their depth of big men, Ainge knew he couldn't count on Paul Pierce to defend LeBron James for 7 games while also remaining offensively efficient. He's been able to do it for a game at a time based almost entirely on emotion, but his body simply can't handle it over seven games. Jeff Green gives them someone who can give them something offensively while also containing LeBron. At the end of the day, Kendrick Perkins is replaceable, so I guess he felt that stopping LeBron had to be the priority. My question is why trade Erden and Harangody? They've both shown they can at least help off the bench. I think we'll definitely see Troy Murphy in green within the week, and it's very possible that Rasheed Wallace joins him.

huh???

Jeff green is a pf ive never seen him guard or try to guard lebron 1 on 1.

psperry34116
02-24-2011, 07:29 PM
People need to stop ripping on ainge. He is clearly not done and will make buyouts for some combination of murphy/parker/ hamilton. He made this trade because he knows we won't resign Perkins. It took some balls, but i trust the guy. Green will be a great backup for Pierce

KingPosey
02-24-2011, 07:32 PM
It could just be they have Shaq for the playoffs, and Green was the best player in the deal, and they got him.

I dont see these being a bad deal at all. For a few different reasons.

J4KOP99
02-24-2011, 07:32 PM
How are any of us supposed to answer this?

If we don't know this "something" then how are we supposed to know what danny ainge knows?

daboywonder2002
02-24-2011, 07:33 PM
huh???

he is a small forward who was forced to play pf because of durant.

KingPosey
02-24-2011, 07:33 PM
huh???

He isnt a real PF. He played out of position. If you make either him or KD play out of their position, you choose Green.

jim51990
02-24-2011, 07:35 PM
ive said all along howard will be in boston come 2012-13 and this just makes it more clear for me

ryguy553
02-24-2011, 07:41 PM
People need to stop ripping on ainge. He is clearly not done and will make buyouts for some combination of murphy/parker/ hamilton. He made this trade because he knows we won't resign Perkins. It took some balls, but i trust the guy. Green will be a great backup for Pierce

Once again Green is going to command more than Perk on the open market. So what exactly does this achieve besides hurting their interior defense and giving Boston a glut of wing players?

Rivera
02-24-2011, 07:42 PM
i dont think its because perks knee is messed up

i believe they didnt want to pay perk big money at the end of this season so i think this is the best player they could get with perk

hgtiger32
02-24-2011, 07:44 PM
How are any of us supposed to answer this?

If we don't know this "something" then how are we supposed to know what danny ainge knows?

well im not stupid enough to create a thread like this and expect you "PSD Experts" to know the answer. I just wanted a simple discussion

Agar81
02-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Perk declined an extension^

J4KOP99
02-24-2011, 07:47 PM
well im not stupid enough to create a thread like this and expect you "PSD Experts" to know the answer. I just wanted a simple discussion

I'm just ****ing around with you.

NYY 26 to 7
02-24-2011, 07:48 PM
He knows what we all know. Green isn't a bum gives them good depth on the wing and Big men with bad knees and contract coming up isn't a good combo. I don't understand why people are killing this deal like Perk is an all star or something. If Shaq isn't healthy for the playoffs it will look worse but right now I don't see how it hurts that much short term and I think helps long term.

John Walls Era
02-24-2011, 07:50 PM
No Kevin Mchale to help him out this time.

NYKalltheway
02-24-2011, 07:52 PM
He made this trade because he knows we won't resign Perkins. It took some balls, but i trust the guy. Green will be a great backup for Pierce

It was indeed a very good move.

Too bad you guys didn't think of Ronny Turiaf + 1st rounder for that :cool:

hugepatsfan
02-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Once again Green is going to command more than Perk on the open market. So what exactly does this achieve besides hurting their interior defense and giving Boston a glut of wing players?

They definately do not have a glut of wing players. Actually, any Celtics fan would have told you that we desperately needed a backup SF. I'm not happy we gave up our starting C and I'm not saying I like the trade, but adding a guy like Green was definately a need.

Sly Guy
02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
perk would have to clear medical, so likely OKC made the deal knowing full well what/if perk's injury issues are. I think it's more likely salary, or that they think green is a better piece for the post-big 3 era.

JordansBulls
02-24-2011, 07:56 PM

Or was Danny Ainge drunk? Or maybe Pat Riley was holding him hostage and made him do this trade?

That still doesn't explain why you would trade your backup center.

hugepatsfan
02-24-2011, 08:01 PM
I think we can all assume that Perk wasn't in BOS's long term plans. And I can't say I blame them.

Look, I LOVE Perk as a player. But I said even before this trade that I question his long term value. Before his knee trouble, he had a chronic shoulder problem (he missed a game in the 1st LA Finals matchup because of it). That was an on again/off again injury for a while.

He's probably going to make 10+ mil after the year. And you have to ask, is he worth it? BOS will be rebuilding soon and you have to wonder if Perk is worth that money on a rebuilding team team that will need cap space. OKC should keep him for that money because they're in a different situation.

Also, Danny could be positioning himself for a trade. This offseason they will have a trade package to offer tha consists of: an LAC 2012 1st (top 10 protected), a close to 7 mil expiring, the ability to S&T a talented young player in Jeff Green, and then they could include either their own 2011 or 2012 1st rounder. That's a pretty good trade package that could net a star if onw is moved.

hugepatsfan
02-24-2011, 08:03 PM
That still doesn't explain why you would trade your backup center.

Semih is a nice player. But that LAC pick has the potential to be 11-14. I'd make that trade every time, even if it weakens the team a little bit now. That's just good value IMO. I liked that trade. The Perk trade? Not so much, but I think I need to see the offseason before I can fully judge. It definately makes them worse right now though IMO.

td0tsfinest
02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Are you even allowed to do that? Can you trade a player to a team without disclosing some important medical information?

J4KOP99
02-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Are you even allowed to do that? Can you trade a player to a team without disclosing some important medical information?

Well even if the Celts did do that(which I doubt they did) OKC is allowed to/has to perform a physical on the player. If they don't find anything out during the physical, then most of the blame would be on OKC.

Giantwarrior
02-24-2011, 08:11 PM
If the Celtics dont win the title EVERYONE will be talking about this trade.

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 08:12 PM
If RIP Hamilton and Troy Murphy do indeed get bought out i think they both sign with the C's.

Rondo/West/Bradley
Allen/RIP/Wafer
Pierce/Green
KG/Baby/Murphy
Kristic/Shaq/J.O

The BodyGuard
02-24-2011, 08:13 PM
huh???

Actually Green is a Sf playing Pf because of Durant .. But good move by mah Okc

pd7631
02-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Jeff Green is being severely underrated by damn near everyone. If Jermaine O'Neal and Shaq can get healthy in time for the playoffs, then the Celtics are much better off with this trade. Green has had a nice career so far on a team with 2 superstars. His numbers could definitely be better if he wasn't the 3rd option. If the Celtics make a deep playoff run then everyone will think just as highly of Jeff Green as they seem to think of Kendrick Perkins.

Giantwarrior
02-24-2011, 08:23 PM
good read about the okc-bos trade:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-Celtics-stun-the-NBA-with-a-pair-of-deals;_ylt=Ao._xnCVnlD5Gk1MtMDNxoM5nYcB?urn=nba-325990

el_primo_nano
02-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Ainge better hope this doesnt **** up their chances of getting back to the Finals, because of how things look right now, they arent any better than what they were last year anymore. Perkins was the dark horse last year, and why they had the Lakers on the ropes. Now they lose two big men in Big Baby and him?? Doesnt make sense charlie. This team was set to win a title this year, now it is a throw up again. As for not resigning Perkins, who cares the window is short anyway, you always go for it with aging players

Sportfan
02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Nah, he really is stupid, that's all.

He's got more championships than the Bulls have this century :moon:

Sportfan
02-25-2011, 11:59 AM
And no, he just knows Perkins role, Perk is a role player not a guy to build your team around. I like Rondo/Green for the future a lot more than Rondo/Perk

That being said, the Erden trade was beyond stupid

bagwell368
02-25-2011, 12:09 PM
good read about the okc-bos trade:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-Celtics-stun-the-NBA-with-a-pair-of-deals;_ylt=Ao._xnCVnlD5Gk1MtMDNxoM5nYcB?urn=nba-325990

This is crap. He badly overrates Nate. Can't see Green as a SF. In fact this scrub can't seem to project any changes on the Celts for Green. Doesn't even give much thought to Perkins ongoing health or contract status.

Bob Ryan says Green is by far the best player in this deal. Green will be more then a back-up. I see him 5th in minutes, and the Celts cutting/passing game should play to Green's strengths. He'll play 3/2/4 about 25 minutes a game w/ 14/5/4 numbers, and some D, albeit not great, playing with KG lights a fire under almost everyone.

Go forward to next FA class or two, you've got Rondo and Green here, grab a major guy with an expiring deal, then Boston stays an attractive place to go, not some wreck that has to wait on lottery gods to rebuild.

Faithful Friar
02-25-2011, 12:15 PM
The celtics aren't getting any younger. If you want to stay competitve for years to come, your going to need draft picks. Can't fill all your holes through free agency.

balla4life22
02-25-2011, 12:20 PM
The celtics aren't getting any younger. If you want to stay competitve for years to come, your going to need draft picks. Can't fill all your holes through free agency.

thats why they got that clippers 1st rounder.

Raph12
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Perk is hurt, lucky for him he doesn't really rely on his athleticisim to play well, but Ainge didn't want to overpay for him (declined an extension) and wants to cash in on the 2012 FAs (D12, CP3, DWill, Rose? [he'll probably resign prior])...

Missing56&33
02-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Ainge knows something.

pd1dish
02-25-2011, 12:25 PM

it was already known that Perkins was probably not going to resign with the Celtics so my guess is that they were looking to get something out of him now so they dont get left with nothing. hell, i wouldnt want to be on the Celtics in a few years. they are going to lose 3 hall of famers and their top 3 scoring options in the very near future.

bagwell368
02-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Ainge better hope this doesnt **** up their chances of getting back to the Finals, because of how things look right now, they arent any better than what they were last year anymore. Perkins was the dark horse last year, and why they had the Lakers on the ropes. Now they lose two big men in Big Baby and him?? Doesnt make sense charlie. This team was set to win a title this year, now it is a throw up again. As for not resigning Perkins, who cares the window is short anyway, you always go for it with aging players

Ainge has made a series of fine deals. He has the total trust of the owners. He doesn't need your backing.

Perk is 26 years old that's been around, never been in good enough shape to play full starter minutes with an ACL one year and a MCL the next. Wants to sign a long deal... no thanks. Who is to say he'd even make it to the Finals this year?

Orlando isn't going to beat the Celts, LAL is springing leaks, and with SA able to start resting guys, we may never see LAL in the Finals. The Celt bench would crush SA, and the Celt bench is the big thing they hold over Miami - along with defense and a passing game. The Celts D wasn't predicated on Perk, it's KG's defense and he's here and healthy.

For all of Kritic's faults, he's a more seasoned NBA player then the two rookies the Celts dumped and he's got a shot to worry about. He's not tough in the typical Eastern Conf way of defining the term but he's tough enough to deal with Miami for some periods of a game.

The least you whiners can do is to see who Ainge fills up the 3 roster slots with.

laxtonto
02-25-2011, 12:26 PM
If RIP Hamilton and Troy Murphy do indeed get bought out i think they both sign with the C's.

Rondo/West/Bradley
Allen/RIP/Wafer
Pierce/Green
KG/Baby/Murphy
Kristic/Shaq/J.O

Rip much more likely to sign with the Mavs where he would most likely start... T Murphy might end up a NYY where he would start as well...

bagwell368
02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
it was already known that Perkins was probably not going to resign with the Celtics. hell, i wouldnt want to be on the Celtics in a few years. they are going to lose 3 hall of famers and their top 3 scoring options in the very near future.

Don't you get it? Ainge got two of those guys in here. When they expire we have slots to sign big time players. With Rondo and Green, and other expiring deals to follow, they look like a better landing place then with Rondo and an oft injured, overweight, bad hands, can't jump Perk. The guy hasn't even hit what is supposed to be his physical peak and he's already falling apart.

bagwell368
02-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Rip much more likely to sign with the Mavs where he would most likely start... T Murphy might end up a NYY where he would start as well...

Rip isn't coming, but Murphy could win some hardware here now, Knicks are not ready yet. Plus hate to be a Boston "townie" but any guy named Murphy is going to be a hero here from day 1.

JordansBulls
02-25-2011, 12:31 PM
People do you realize the Celtics still picked up Krstic here.

bagwell368
02-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Who says?

Pierce was a pick, name me another Celtic of importance that was an original (never dealt draft pick?) Rondo's pick was dealt around like a ping pong ball. KG and Allen? No.

No is the answer. For a team like the Celts with forward looking owners and GM, the FA, and slot deals are going to be the prime means of building.

bagwell368
02-25-2011, 12:35 PM
In 18 months nobody will ever argue that this was a bad deal for the Celts. Book it.

Raph12
02-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Rip isn't coming, but Murphy could win some hardware here now, Knicks are not ready yet. Plus hate to be a Boston "townie" but any guy named Murphy is going to be a hero here from day 1.

Epic! :laugh2::laugh::laugh2:

gauth25
02-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Ainge has made a series of fine deals. He has the total trust of the owners. He doesn't need your backing.

Perk is 26 years old that's been around, never been in good enough shape to play full starter minutes with an ACL one year and a MCL the next. Wants to sign a long deal... no thanks. Who is to say he'd even make it to the Finals this year?

Orlando isn't going to beat the Celts, LAL is springing leaks, and with SA able to start resting guys, we may never see LAL in the Finals. The Celt bench would crush SA, and the Celt bench is the big thing they hold over Miami - along with defense and a passing game. The Celts D wasn't predicated on Perk, it's KG's defense and he's here and healthy.

For all of Kritic's faults, he's a more seasoned NBA player then the two rookies the Celts dumped and he's got a shot to worry about. He's not tough in the typical Eastern Conf way of defining the term but he's tough enough to deal with Miami for some periods of a game.

The least you whiners can do is to see who Ainge fills up the 3 roster slots with.

Umm I don't think so. How can you say Orlando won't beat the Celtics? I'm pretty sure they've done it before when you had Perkins. How do you plan on stopping Dwight? With Shaq? Oh ya that's IF he's healthy and even still I wouldn't bank on that. You forget Orlando is still meshing it's offense together. This trade hurts the Celtics right now. They don't have an inside presence on defense and I don't care what you say. People running into the paint are far more afraid of Perkins then Garnett and the Lakers showed that last year. The Celtics had the Lakers on the ropes until Perkins got hurt.

The Lakers won't make the finals? That's funny. If you don't think they can win the West you're crazy. Not sure if you've ever played sports but when you win back to back titles, you don't have the fire you once had during the regular season like they did in the season they won the first title. Wait until the playoffs role around, you're going to see why they've won back to back titles.

Mishmin
02-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Danny Ainge knows that Perk didn't take the 22 million- 4 year extension, and for a defensive center that has very limited offensive skills, it's difficult to offer him star money. He also sees that Perk, who will give a team a defensive identity, is beginning to look very injury prone. Will he age well? Probably not. Will Jeff Green age well? Yes. When Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Garnett leave, Perkins will not be a go to guy. He will be the same he is now, which is a hard-working tough defensive center, but Ainge has to look to the future. I think he's really just counting on Shaq being healthy.

The BodyGuard
02-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Great move by Okc, Boston

Okc gets the center we needed and Robinson for the spark off the bench.

Boston gets a sf that they were looking for and Kristic who is solid(..Shoots the mid range)

So it's a win-win

magichatnumber9
02-25-2011, 12:52 PM
In 18 months nobody will ever argue that this was a bad deal for the Celts. Book it.I'm glad someone else has been watching every Celtics game this year besides me and not just hang on the spotty analysis by ESPN.

bagwell368
02-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Umm I don't think so. How can you say Orlando won't beat the Celtics? I'm pretty sure they've done it before when you had Perkins. How do you plan on stopping Dwight?

If you have enough bigs on the roster, there are fouls, which with his FT% is a good plan. Then there is a true double team. Fronting and from behind. Orlando usually has teams on the floor with a guy you don't mind shooting that much. Elbows, punches... you know the usual.

With Shaq? Oh ya that's IF he's healthy and even still I wouldn't bank on that.

No, Shaq is no proof against Howard. However Shaq has been known to draw fouls, so how about run every play right at him, he's a sucker for going up in the air, and then Pierce tucks it in and has Howard land on him, and viola - fould

You forget Orlando is still meshing it's offense together.

And you forget that it's not done yet.

This trade hurts the Celtics right now.

So, you have to express yourself now, how about we fill the 3 roster spots, with one of them being Murphy and another Powe.

They don't have an inside presence on defense and I don't care what you say.

KG is the one that made the Celts a defensive team, not Perk. KG is still here. Who do you have that contend with him, or Allen or Rondo? Did the game turn into 1 on 1 and I missed it somehow?

People running into the paint are far more afraid of Perkins then Garnett and the Lakers showed that last year. The Celtics had the Lakers on the ropes until Perkins got hurt.

The Lakers won't make the finals? That's funny. If you don't think they can win the West you're crazy. Not sure if you've ever played sports but when you win back to back titles, you don't have the fire you once had during the regular season like they did in the season they won the first title. Wait until the playoffs role around, you're going to see why they've won back to back titles.

The LAL made no deals and look wrung out. Kobe isn't as good as he was even two years ago. Right now they are less then 50/5o to make the Finals IMO.

I was on a D1A (see the '70's to see what that meant) college team, and played against a good handful of future, current, and past pros in my time. How's that?

I saw Russell's last two championship teams as well. I know all about the phenomena. There record against the other elite teams isn't good, and they've gotten mushed in games they have "had" to win. Fisher was signed before the Magna Carta for gods sake. Gimme a break. LAL is anything but a sure thing, even Jackson looks exhausted.

bagwell368
02-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm glad someone else has been watching every Celtics game this year besides me and not just hang on the spotty analysis by ESPN.

Not every, but low 70-75% of them. Heck I'm even watching hockey these days...

PhillyFaninLA
02-25-2011, 12:59 PM

At the beginning of the year they couldn't get a deal down with Perkins. Green will help them long term. The Celtics are getting older and need a younger player for the future. Dwight Howard is the only real big the east of note and Orlando seems to be going the wrong direction. To make the finals you need to be able to run with and shoot with Miami and to a lesser degree Chicago.

They had to trade a guy they couldn't sign to a contract extension and helps them get younger. I think its a good trade and the 2 O'neal's might be able to do enough if healthy for this season and you get a big in the off season.

NYKSpiritBomb
02-25-2011, 01:11 PM
ainge is an NBA GM and we're internet bloggers, obviously he knows a lot more than us :eyebrow:

i think he's cutting salary for upcoming CBA, and possibly trying to make a run at dwight

B'sCeltsPatsSox
02-25-2011, 01:14 PM
People do you realize the Celtics still picked up Krstic here.

Yeah no one has said that yet. Krstic is a solid player and his PPG averages and RPG averages were probably so low because he played with Durant and Westbrook.

shep33
02-25-2011, 01:37 PM
as of now I'm still puzzled, but we'll see who he gets via buyout. Murphy is okay, but I mean he's still a 4, and a thin 4 at that. We'll see what happens.

koLohe2133
02-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Let's just hope krstic is tough without throwing a chair....

All jokes aside, celtics haven't lost their position on top of the east. They will give any team hell in a 7 game series....

PAOboston
02-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm glad someone else has been watching every Celtics game this year besides me and not just hang on the spotty analysis by ESPN.

you figure the way people are talking, it's like the c's traded bill russell. lol

i love perk but come on people!