PDA

View Full Version : Celtics trade Marquis Daniels to Sac for $$

ko8e24
02-24-2011, 06:07 PM
http://www.nesn.com/2011/02/report-marquis-daniels-traded-to-sacramento-for-cash.html

The Boston Celtics have traded Marquis Daniels to the Sacramento Kings for cash.

CBS Sports' Ken Berger reported the deal via Twitter.

Daniels suffered a scary injury in early February, collapsing to the TD Garden floor after a minor collision with Gilbert Arenas. He suffered a bruised spinal cord and may not be able to return this year.

The move was the third of the day for the Celtics, who now have three roster spots available after trading Daniels, Kendrick Perkins, Nate Robinson, Semih Erden and Luke Harangody and receiving just Jeff Green and Nenad Krstic in return.

Lim
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
i guess boston didnt get the memo... if it aint broke dont fix it

Giantwarrior
02-24-2011, 06:17 PM
so what.

hugepatsfan
02-24-2011, 06:18 PM
He was out for the year. I have no idea why SF did this. He probably won't be able to even play for them. BOS was just freeing up a roster spot. They now have 3 spots open. One will likely go to Troy Murphy, but IDK about the other 2.

Klivlend
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
He was out for the year. I have no idea why SF did this. He probably won't be able to even play for them. BOS was just freeing up a roster spot. They now have 3 spots open. One will likely go to Troy Murphy, but IDK about the other 2.

Allen Iverson? ha

TheRooki3
02-24-2011, 06:42 PM
I can picture it now....celtics got officials to wheel him on the plane (to sacramento) while he's still on the stretcher with a neck brace on...

kfranks22
02-24-2011, 06:53 PM

The Kings did this because they were under the salary floor after the Landry trade and had to pick up some salary to get back over.

Hustlenomics
02-24-2011, 07:02 PM
wow

JasonJohnHorn
02-24-2011, 09:55 PM
I am confused. Why does Sacramento want Daniels? A spinal bruise is a big deal, and the dude likely wont even play this year IF AT ALL. They gave Boston money to take on this contract? I understand why Boston made the move, but SAC-Town? I just dont get it?

ZebraCity916
02-24-2011, 10:09 PM
I am confused. Why does Sacramento want Daniels? A spinal bruise is a big deal, and the dude likely wont even play this year IF AT ALL. They gave Boston money to take on this contract? I understand why Boston made the move, but SAC-Town? I just dont get it?

Sac was under the salary floor. Meaning they were spending less than the league minimum required. Therefore, Daniels.

As a Sac fan, it really doesn't make sense still for us. We should've just signed a D-League player or a FA. Oh, well......

I feel pretty bad for Daniels too. He had the right to veto the trade and he didn't. I would've if I were him.

*Superman*
02-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Messed up. Is he even fully healed yet.

footballer2369
02-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Ken Berger? I know hamburgeR?

NYMetros
02-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Messed up. Is he even fully healed yet.

If he was fully healed he'd be playing, lol.

No idea why Sacramento wants him. Is the Kings GM friends with Danny Ainge or something? :laugh2:

ZebraCity916
02-24-2011, 10:29 PM

No idea why Sacramento wants him. Is the Kings GM friends with Danny Ainge or something? :laugh2:

Kings were under the salary floor. Basically we were under the league minimum for spending money so we needed to take a contract on.

NYMetros
02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Kings were under the salary floor. Basically we were under the league minimum for spending money so we needed to take a contract on.

It would have made more sense to sign someone that can actually play... unless you're tanking or something, in which case this move is actually pretty smart...

CrasH-X
02-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Hurts that I just forked out $75 for his jersey last week when I was in Beantown and he didn't since/will never suit up in it again .. (not that it was a great purchase in the first place, but I enjoy collected terrible jerseys haha) .

kfranks22
02-24-2011, 10:40 PM
It would have made more sense to sign someone that can actually play... unless you're tanking or something, in which case this move is actually pretty smart...

Who could the Kings sign in the middle of the season that could actually play and make a difference? Whoever they signed would be there to take up space on the end of the bench. That, or they'd take minutes from one of the young players they're trying to get minutes and experence for. It's really not that complicated, I don't get how this concept is that hard for people to figure out.

ZebraCity916
02-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Who could the Kings sign in the middle of the season that could actually play and make a difference? Whoever they signed would be there to take up space on the end of the bench. That, or they'd take minutes from one of the young players they're trying to get minutes and experence for. It's really not that complicated, I don't get how this concept is that hard for people to figure out.

At least whoever they signed would actually be able to play though. Daniels isn't even gonna play. We're wasting money.

ZebraCity916
02-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Hurts that I just forked out $75 for his jersey last week when I was in Beantown and he didn't since/will never suit up in it again .. (not that it was a great purchase in the first place, but I enjoy collected terrible jerseys haha) .

That he's not on the team makes the jersey even worse though!! You should be thrilled!!!!

Lake_Show2416
02-24-2011, 10:47 PM
I have a feeling they r waiting for some waived players ha

NYMetros
02-24-2011, 10:48 PM

Calm down dude. :laugh2: It's just funny how they're going out of their way to help out the Celtics. They could have signed anyone to sit on the bench, but they choose Daniels, who won't even play again this year.

kfranks22
02-24-2011, 10:57 PM
By the way, this deal is being reported wrong. The Kings got Daniels and cash for a future protected 2nd round pick. Which means the Celtics are paying the Kings to take Daniels to make room for themselves, which is something they did with the Kings a few years ago with Sam Cassel.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/story/2011/02/24/sp-kings-acquire-marquis-daniels.html?ref=rss

*Superman*
02-24-2011, 10:57 PM

Thought you couldn't trade injured players?

CrasH-X
02-25-2011, 12:34 PM
That he's not on the team makes the jersey even worse though!! You should be thrilled!!!!

True hah .. but still would have been nice to own while he played at least once .. not a huge fan of old bad jerseys haha .

I did rock it proudly yesterday tho' ..

ClayMatthews
02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
This doesnt make much sense..

RaiderLakersA's
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
How does Daniels pass a physical exam and validate this trade?

kfranks22
02-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Teams are allowed to waive physicals, which is why you're allowed to trade injured players. This trade was for the contract not the player.