PDA

View Full Version : should the nba have a 2-3 year after HS rule?

stlbest5in2013
02-24-2011, 10:36 AM
they were talking about this on mike and mike a little with bilas.

i agree that if the HS kid is good enough to make it to the nba, then he should go. but once you committ to a college, you must stay for 2 years, i think 3 is better like the nfl.

i mean look at all the HS kids that used to enter that never amounted to **** in the league.

look at how one and done is ruining college basketball. these kids dont care as much about winning at the ncaa level, as the kids who stay 3-4 years.

i think if your not rated by all the teams and their scouts as a top 10-20 lock in the draft out of hs, you should have to go to collge. it does not matter if you are super talented. that does not entitle you to millions of dollars, i also agree that certain players have to enter for financial reasons, and if they are taken then great, but to a degree the ncaa should make sure you are leaving for that reason.

basketball needs to be cleaned up at the nba level, and college level. if these kids are not cant miss prosepcts out of HS, then make them show everyone they can play at a higher level then HS.

once you start having nba ready players in the draft, then teams that cant go out and sign everyone. will have a much better chance to compete, by building through the draft.

sure there is always going to be players taken in the draft that will not cut the mustard in the nba i get that. but you can also increase the players you draft as having a better shot in the league by making them earn their way up the ranks of basketball. i also know college is not the minor leagues for the nba, but neither is college football for the nfl, but the nfl has a 3 years removed from HS rule.

xbrackattackx
02-24-2011, 10:46 AM
I see where you are coming from, But with the CBA looming around players are wanting to drop all college requirements and bring back high school ball. And they may do that to make them happy and not lock out. But you either have to say you go to college for 3 years or you can go straight from high school there can be no middle ground, cause who can tell who is talented enough and who isn't that will start huge controversy with the first 17 year old who gets butt hurt.

But you have great high schoolers who do make it...

Dwight
Kobe
Lebron
Al Harrington
Amare
Lewis

and there are more...

But you also have the..

Jonathan Benders
D Miles
Leon Smith
Eddy Currys...

But the same thing happens with College players too. Coming out and busting but at least they are a little more mature with the millions and usually stay out of trouble.

Niro
02-24-2011, 10:47 AM
maybe its because i am from germany/europe and its totaly different here but i dont understand why somebody should not be allowed to play where he wants? (college/nba) if he is good enough let him sign up for the draft. after all its the decision of the team to draft the player

xbrackattackx
02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
maybe its because i am from germany/europe and its totaly different here but i dont understand why somebody should not be allowed to play where he wants? (college/nba) if he is good enough let him sign up for the draft. after all its the decision of the team to draft the player

I agree, But the NBA added that rule cause kids were coming out who could score in bunches but had no fundamentals. And that's what players need a complete game and you learn that in most college systems especially teams that put out great completed products year after year like UNC,DUKE....etc.

nolafan33
02-24-2011, 11:02 AM
I've always believed it should be either they don't have to go to college, or they have to stay for more than one season. What does one NCAA season do?

Trace
02-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Considering how most of them talk in interviews, I would agree to this. They are influential members of the community, they may as well get an education before they start influencing others.

As well it opens them up to a plethora of options in case they get injured.

jrm2054
02-24-2011, 11:19 AM
There should be allowed to go right from high school

chitown4eva88
02-24-2011, 11:25 AM
I think the NBA should make players stay at least 3 years just like the NFL. I know that there is less contact in the NBA that results in less injury. But it should be about kids future after they finish playing ball or if they suffer a major injury and I can not play anymore.

pd1dish
02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
my idea on the NBA is that i think that players should have the freedom to go straight to the NBA out of high school. a lot of great players have come straight from high school and been an immediate influence on their teams as rookies.

however, if a player does decide to go to college, then he should be required to stay there for at least 2 years

mttwlsn16
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM

this, minus the "im from europe" part lol

mavwar53
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
They should be allowed to go from high school, as it stands now its fine, not so great for the college game but its obvious that if you have the skills you can play in this league from H.S., some can make it after freshmen year and other should wait longer, its all players choice and I don't think the NBA or NCAA should infringe upon personal choices.

stlbest5in2013
02-24-2011, 06:59 PM
They should be allowed to go from high school, as it stands now its fine, not so great for the college game but its obvious that if you have the skills you can play in this league from H.S., some can make it after freshmen year and other should wait longer, its all players choice and I don't think the NBA or NCAA should infringe upon personal choices.

i actually agree with what you are saying, but kids going 1 and done, are stealing tax payers money. being they go on scholarships, and these universities are state run. no the player is not getting cash,(we all know some do), but the university is footing the bill for your room and board, plus travel expenses, and your one year of education.

im i am the presided/ad/coach of a university i want the committment to mean something.

if the kid is all about money, then the kid can go to europe for 2-3 years

Rego247
02-24-2011, 07:28 PM
they should be allowed to go straight from HS. if ur good enough, and teams are willing to pick u the so be it.

NBA_Starter
02-24-2011, 07:30 PM
A dream scenario (which means will never happen) would be 3 years, although 2 would be a step in the right direction.

hotpotato1092
02-24-2011, 07:36 PM
The current system rewards teams that are able to identify which players have not only the talent but the maturity to succeed at the next level. There's a reason why the Spurs always have a stable of young guys ready to succeed their vets and the Clips are always in the lottery, so if your reasoning is to prevent teams from drafting busts my response is that those teams should go get better scouts. Now if your argument is that it would be better for the players I would buy that, and I think any player short of a LeBron James type prospect would benefit from an extra year or two in college, but if they feel like they're ready they should have the right to go pro. Think about it, if a business wants to hire a college sophomore for a high level position we may criticize them, but we'd never question their right to do it, why should the NBA be any different?

h2r09
02-24-2011, 07:47 PM
at least 2 years. project guys 1 year out of high school like randolph, favors, derozan, cousins, xavier henry, ed davis, harden, holliday, mullins all shouldnt have been in the nba when they came. imagine how good and competitive the nba would be if these guys came in immediately ready mentally and physically to play in the nab.

It would solve the problem of small market teams not having great players.

SteveNash
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Players should be able to be drafted at 15.

UnWantedTheory
02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
The current system rewards teams that are able to identify which players have not only the talent but the maturity to succeed at the next level. There's a reason why the Spurs always have a stable of young guys ready to succeed their vets and the Clips are always in the lottery, so if your reasoning is to prevent teams from drafting busts my response is that those teams should go get better scouts. Now if your argument is that it would be better for the players I would buy that, and I think any player short of a LeBron James type prospect would benefit from an extra year or two in college, but if they feel like they're ready they should have the right to go pro. Think about it, if a business wants to hire a college sophomore for a high level position we may criticize them, but we'd never question their right to do it, why should the NBA be any different?

Great post. I agree whole heartedly.

Fnom11
02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
It should 100% be the player's choice, not the CBA, NBA, or anyone else who thinks they can control people.