PDA

View Full Version : Cuban on allowing trade: 'It's just wrong'

Mochalman
02-24-2011, 07:48 AM
DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban lambasted the NBA on Wednesday for allowing the league-owned New Orleans Hornets to complete a trade with the Sacramento Kings in which the financially troubled franchise will absorb salary and send an undisclosed amount of cash to the Kings.

New Orleans sent guard Marcus Thornton, who is earning $762,195, plus cash to Sacramento for forward Carl Landry, who is earning $3 million. The Hornets, who are over the salary cap, were able to fit Landry into a trade exception.

The difference in salary is $2.24 million, of which the Hornets will be responsible for the prorated amount for the remainder of the season.

"If New Orleans is taking back $2 million and the team is losing money and I own 1/29th of it, I'm going to go against the grain and say that's just wrong," Cuban said prior to the Mavericks' home game against the Utah Jazz. "There's no way, with their payroll, having to dump salary before they were sold to us [NBA owners]; now they can take on more salary while they're losing money. That's just wrong every which way."

The NBA -- Cuban and 28 other owners -- took over ownership of the Hornets from George Shinn on Dec. 6. The league funds the organization and set an operating budget. Cuban said he never anticipated the Hornets to be in a position of taking on salary.

"I don't have a problem if they go dollar-for-dollar, great, more power to them," Cuban said. "You could see if it was like a marquee guy and he's going to bring in lots of dollars. No disrespect to Carl Landry, but I don't see that's the way it works. It's just wrong. I'm one of the owners. The league is supposed to just give them a budget and it never dawned on me that the budget would say you can spend more money to bring in players."

The Mavs and Hornets are Southwest Division rivals and split two heated games earlier in the season. It is possible they could meet in the first round of the playoffs. Cuban wouldn't acknowledge if the Mavs had interest in acquiring the 6-foot-8 power forward, who is in the final year of his contract.

Cuban said plenty of teams did have interest in Landry, though few are willing to take back salary, making the Hornets' deal the sweetest for a struggling Sacramento franchise.

"That's the whole point," Cuban said. "Other teams have interest in him, but not a lot of teams are going to take back money. If it's a better deal, great. But the dollars should add up."

Cuban launched the most pointed criticism toward the league since it took over ownership. Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson has publicly questioned the wisdom of the league's owning the Hornets, but has not criticized the league as firmly.

"All I know is if most of the owners in this league can't take back salary in a deal," Cuban said, "the Hornets shouldn't be allowed to either."

-per ESPN

Niro
02-24-2011, 07:55 AM
he is right

i love cuban for always telling people what he thinks doesnt matter if he is getting fined

magichatnumber9
02-24-2011, 08:10 AM
I agree with Cuban. Dollar for Dollar o.k, but if I were an owner I would be like WTF am I supporting these guys for if they can take on 2 million plus of Landry's salary. Someone buy and move that team now.

Shepar38
02-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Cuban is just upset because one of his rivals acquired a good player that could make the division more competitive. He has manipulated NBA rules for years to acquire high priced players while going over the luxury tax; do you really think he cares about the $26,786 ($750,000/28) that this trade cost him?

drew_ellis_23
02-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Cuban is just upset because one of his rivals acquired a good player that could make the division more competitive. He has manipulated NBA rules for years to acquire high priced players while going over the luxury tax; do you really think he cares about the $26,786 ($750,000/28) that this trade cost him?

Really, a team that is hemorrhaging money and ran by the league just bought a player. Who do you think is paying for it? Cuban will be one of them. I think that gives him a right to open his mouth here. He is right.

Shepar38
02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Really, a team that is hemorrhaging money and ran by the league just bought a player. Who do you think is paying for it? Cuban will be one of them. I think that gives him a right to open his mouth here. He is right.

I think I already have addressed the cost issue in my post above; it's minimal. That said; I am not questioning the validity of his point just his motives. I highly doubt that if the Hornets were in a different conference and the player in question wasn't of interest to the Mavericks that Cuban would have opened his mouth.

Confusious
02-24-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't really like Cuban but he's sort of got a point.

TheDiggler
02-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Agree with Cuban here. Like most time he's really speaking the truth out. That's what I like about Mark Cuban. He's talking straight out what he thinks and what his opinion is.

Totally agree on what he said.

mike_noodles
02-24-2011, 09:40 AM
So what then, you're just supposed to allow the Hornets to fail??? That would be a terrible business decision too. Stern needs to **** or get off the pot. Either contract the team or get them the hell out of there.

Crackadalic
02-24-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't agree with a lot of things from Cuban but im with him on this one. If they can do this for the hornets how about the other small market team who are losing a lot of money. Stern better do something soon

stlbest5in2013
02-24-2011, 10:11 AM
i agree with cuban, and who ever disagrees with him you might look at is this way.

this i like your local or state governement asking you for money, or to pass a bill which requires you to pay more taxes. so that governement can spend or fix something. then turning around and using that money on something else. no matter how little the tax hike you paid was, its still your money.

unles the league told all the owners, we are going to make the hornets better and add salary, then cuban is dead on.

Double_R
02-24-2011, 10:12 AM
At the end of the day, Cuban is one of the most savvy businessmen in the biz and he nailed it with this one.

jeter4president
02-24-2011, 10:19 AM
the fact that the Hornets are even owned by the NBA in itself is wrong and bad for the league. Cuban is 100% right here. He's already keeping this team afloat, why should he be at a disadvantage.

ttam68
02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I love Cuban, but the move doesn't cost much at all. Its not like they went out and picked up Gerald Wallace and Baron Davis.

Landry has a $3,000,000 expiring contract. Take off Thornton's 750k, and that's 2.25 M. Prorate that to 1/3 (since 2/3 of the season is over) and its less than a 750k. Cuban's portion of that would be $25,000.

For a team trying to make noise in the playoffs Cuban can suck it up.

Super.
02-24-2011, 10:38 AM
someone just needs to buy this damn team.

Quick PSD! Lets do it!

NYK|NYY
02-24-2011, 10:43 AM
He has a point but I think owners knew that the NBA took control of the team under conditions that would allow the Hornets to operate like normal.

Melo15
02-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Well said by Cuban

nolafan33
02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Really? For a prorated portion of $2.24 million, this big mouth billionaire is going to whine? The NBA can make that up with one fine for more of his stupidity. He's just looking for a reason to whine. What are the Hornets supposed to do? Sit back and do nothing? Not operate like normal? Give me a break.

Car Ramrod
02-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I think it's more to do with the principal than the money.

I completely agree with him.

fadedmario
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
he is right

i love cuban for always telling people what he thinks doesnt matter if he is getting fined

x2

rhaas74
02-24-2011, 12:00 PM

So, before they took over the team they were slashing their payroll. Now that the NBA owns the team they are able to start taking on money? It is one thing if an actual owner took over, but to allow them to slash costs before and then add millions on after is just not right.

JasonJohnHorn
02-24-2011, 12:00 PM
I hate to say it, 'cause Cuban (who I loved at first) can REALLY get on my nerves, but dude is right.

NYK|NYY
02-24-2011, 12:16 PM
So, before they took over the team they were slashing their payroll. Now that the NBA owns the team they are able to start taking on money? It is one thing if an actual owner took over, but to allow them to slash costs before and then add millions on after is just not right.

Its a fair point but I still think the owners knew that if the Hornets were in the mix of things they would make basketball moves. I mean they are the fifth seed, would be an eff-you to the fans if they go into dump mode.

nolafan33
02-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Cutting payroll? We took on over 7M in the Trevor Ariza deal, and we took on over 4M in the Jarrett Jack deal. Again, give me a break. The Hornets are supposed to sit on their hands and not improve the team?

The Jokemaker
02-24-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree and don't agree. what's wrong with the Hornets to make a move and try and get into the playoffs? If they get into the playoffs, they get a nice little bit of revenue which I'm sure Cuban will get a piece of. If New Orleans still refuses to support the team move them to a market that will actually go see a game.

RaiderLakersA's
02-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Generally I tune out Cuban, but here he's 100% on point.

Frankly, I think the league should have let the Hornets dissolve, if a buyer wasn't available. All players would be released from their current contracts, with the stipulation that they can either sit out the remainder of the year and become UFA's at the end of this season, or they enter a special mid-year lottery draft, whereby the teams with the worst records at the time the team was dissolved getting first pick. Any team that acquires a Hornets player through said draft would be allowed a one-time cap exception for the remainder of the season, but the team would have to be in full compliance of the cap before the start of the 2011-2012 free agency period.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not against the owners assisting another owner who is in dire straits, especially in this tough economy, but I am against the league propping up an ownerless organization that is hemorrhaging money.

nolafan33
02-24-2011, 01:13 PM
I agree and don't agree. what's wrong with the Hornets to make a move and try and get into the playoffs? If they get into the playoffs, they get a nice little bit of revenue which I'm sure Cuban will get a piece of. If New Orleans still refuses to support the team move them to a market that will actually go see a game.

Why do people insist on talking about the Hornets when they have no idea what they're talking about? The Hornets have been averaging a sellout since the Saints season finished. Another sellout last night.

silverbc
02-24-2011, 01:21 PM
cuban is right, no matter how minimal his share of the cost of landy he shouldnt have had to pay anything at all. They had been selling contracts to get below the cap threshold then when the nba takes over they take on contracts... thats just ridiculous. Easy to spend someone else's money and not care about the cost.
Not to mention the hornets have been struggling to fill their arena all season and currently sit at about 68mil salary wise... they should still be cutting back not adding on.

RaiderLakersA's
02-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Why do people insist on talking about the Hornets when they have no idea what they're talking about? The Hornets have been averaging a sellout since the Saints season finished. Another sellout last night.

I think Stern fully acknowledges that the fanbase is there. However, I trust Cuban's assessment that the team is not turning a profit. As part owner, he would know.

Bear in mind that sellouts aren't necessarily an indicator of overall profitability. I'm a Raiders fan, and my team can't sell out the stadium regularly for jack. But if Al Davis were to completely lose his mind and charge $10 for all seats at every home game, we'd sell out every season for the next decade in under 24 hours. The fan interest is there. That said, we'd be no better off in terms of increasing our profit margins, if AD did that. Especially given the way he pays player salaries at top dollar+++.

THE_FLASH_21
02-24-2011, 01:32 PM
he's right... which is kinda cool he's never right.. lol What a Owner doe.

Atticus Finch
02-24-2011, 01:39 PM

The hornets are averaging 14,785 (23rd in the league) in attendance every night. Couple that with the fact that their average ticket price is the lowest in the league, basically 1/3 as much as a ticket for the Lakers (between $30-#40), and you'll see why they aren't making as much money as it appears. In 2007 the hornets were sold for $285 million, by 2009 the franchise was only worth $267 million according to Forbes.

FlashMacker
02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I don't really like Cuban but he's sort of got a point.

Yeah I agree with him on this one.

blastmasta26
02-24-2011, 03:07 PM
someone just needs to buy this damn team.

Quick PSD! Lets do it!
lol it would never happen, but I wonder how much money each user would have to put forth to get upto around 265 mil or however much it would take to bu the Hornets.

richiesaurus310
02-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Cuban is right, but the NBA has to let the hornets compete also, and this trade made them better...

kblo247
02-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Cuban was right in what he said, but most are missing half of the point.

The Hornets just didn't take a bigger contract back in Landry on his dime. They also sent cash consideration to Sacramento to make the trade even work on his dime, so he paid both ways.

He just funded another teams move when they are supposed to be losing money as a franchise, and he didn't even play for a good name player to help generate that lost revenue back.

He should be pissed and has a right to speak up. If they are going to continue taking back more cash than their current deals and send cash out to make deals work, let it come out the commissioner's pockets or give every team a discount on the luxury tax.

Ebbs
02-24-2011, 03:24 PM
How can anyone not agree with what was said here.

ClayMatthews
02-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Someones upset his team didnt make a trade.

C-Wick925
02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Someones upset his team didnt make a trade.

ok well what if your job decides to take n xtra 45 dollars out of your check so they can hire a new employee? Its not there place to take money from people rigggght? get a grip

nolafan33
02-25-2011, 11:52 AM
ok well what if your job decides to take n xtra 45 dollars out of your check so they can hire a new employee? Its not there place to take money from people rigggght? get a grip

But at the same time Cuban and all the other owners knew this was a possibility when they agreed to buy the Hornets. Do I see where he's coming from? Sure. But he agreed to the plan that was layed out by Demps earlier to the owners and the league when the NBA acquired the Hornets. We are sticking to the blueprint that was laid out. He's just all butt hurt at the fact that a division rival got better and he may have to face this team in the playoffs. Plus, who really believes some type of budget was set when the NBA bought the team? I do, it's logical. Obviously since the trade happened they didn't go over that budget.

I know for a fact, that if your team was in this position and you were denied a trade that made your team better, that was perfectly in line with the rules that were layed out, every last member on this forum would be all :mad: over it.

Unless this is outright price gouging, Cuban has no complaint, here. Asking the NBA to force the Hornets to make pure dollar-for-dollar trades would be a dereliction of duty for the league that owns a team and is charged with keeping them competitive. Nothing was backhanded here, and though Cuban also doesn't like the cash considerations sent Sacramento's way, the bottom line is that both teams traded two players that they weren't using (Landry was buried in a deep Sacramento frontcourt) for players that could badly use down the road.

And teams are taking on extra money these days, by the way. The Knicks just did it, sure, but the Toronto Raptors (struggling in the standings) also added more salary this week. So did the Cleveland Cavaliers, hardly the picture of smarts and potential. So did the Atlanta Hawks, a team that has struggled to sell tickets for decades, and one that may have more front office red tape than the NBA and Pentagon combined. And then halved, sure, but you get my point.

Slippery slope argument from Mark? Maybe. Upset that a division rival just upgraded with a player they weren't using? Perhaps. Mark Cuban, on a treadmill before a game, just riffing? You bet.

Nothing to see here, move along.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Mark-Cuban-does-not-like-the-trade-the-NBA-just-?urn=nba-325900