PDA

View Full Version : NBA=Hardest Sport to Make it.

surf and turf
02-23-2011, 10:46 PM
The reason why I say this is look how they throw around first round draft picks for proven players. It almost like they expect 80 percent of the draft class to fail. Or be mediocre. At best. If a fourth rounder is not at least productive in the nfl it was a bad pick. If you get any type of player past round 2 in the NBA it was a good draft.

Tblaze
02-23-2011, 10:49 PM
True, but doesn't that also have to do with the fact NHL teams are alot bigger?? I mean there's only like 12 players really playing per team in the nba... so fewer spots means fewer players who make it...

Mochalman
02-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Nfl.

Chacarron
02-23-2011, 10:52 PM
53-man roster compared to 15-man roster.

papipapsmanny
02-23-2011, 10:53 PM
I have to go with the MLB talent alone will not get u there. Coming out of highschool isn't even plausible (in terms of playing in the actual MLB), and you have to work through so many levels

sargon21
02-23-2011, 10:56 PM
i agree

Giraffes Rule
02-23-2011, 10:59 PM
I have to go with the MLB talent alone will not get u there. Coming out of highschool isn't even plausible (in terms of playing in the actual MLB), and you have to work through so many levels

The plus to that is you can still make it as a minor leaguer, and some day pull down a very respectable salary (by the standards of a non-athlete). MLB umpiring is pretty exclusive though, that's definitely the most difficult position on a field/court to get. :p

johnnychan
02-23-2011, 11:22 PM
I think I read somthing before that out of all the pro sports basketball is the toughest to make statistically, but i do agree baseball is pretty damn hard, just because of the whole farm system.

footballer2369
02-23-2011, 11:54 PM
It obviously is the toughest due to the smallest rosters.

xxplayerxx23
02-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Yeah i agree i play ball in hs and i put up some nice stats (16 and 9) but i already knw i have no shot at the pros

black1605
02-24-2011, 12:25 AM
53-man roster compared to 15-man roster.

So? That means you are competing with a lot more people. Injury issues, combined with the fact that you are competing with more people alone make the NFL harder to be successful in.

WHODAT8o8
02-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Plus for the NBA height is real key excluding spud, Nate, etc

Jewelz0376
02-24-2011, 12:54 AM
All you need to look at to realize the nba is the hardest is look at all the players who were successful in college, but didn't even get drafted... Look at Reynolds from Villanova last year...he was a 1st team all american and didn't even get drafted...

ShockerArt
02-24-2011, 12:56 AM
NBA is the hardest pro league to get in because it has by far the smallest rosters.

black1605
02-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Do you all really not understand proportions? There are bigger rosters in the NFL, because there are bigger rosters in college too. Being successful is relative to the sport. The "smaller roster" argument is bogus.

Also, to those who say that height is unique to the NBA: the NFL requires a certain weight and strength. Kevin Durant is successful, and he can't bench his own body weight. The NFL requires more development.

laborforeyou
02-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Do you all really not understand proportions? There are bigger rosters in the NFL, because there are bigger rosters in college too. Being successful is relative to the sport. The "smaller roster" argument is bogus.

Also, to those who say that height is unique to the NBA: the NFL requires a certain weight and strength. Kevin Durant is successful, and he can't bench his own body weight. The NFL requires more development.

thats sorta true, but the real proportion is with the number of people who play the sport at some level (whether thats as a kid, HS, college) vs the number of pros.

and to an earlier poster who comment on reynolds, there are examples like him in every sport, ever heard of charlie ward?

Jay_Dub
02-24-2011, 01:20 AM

Football is only played in the US ... Basketball is played all over the world. So Proportionally speaking basketball would be much tougher to 'make it'.

Nabeshin
02-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Most difficult sport to make it in would be soccer, well that is outside of the states as most US parent's push there children into other sports, or they decide to try something else out.

Most talent is sought out at very early ages, I have seen clubs in south America signing children from the age of eight to pre contracts.Hint why a lot of footballers are finished with there careers in there early to mid thirties.But the same could be said for rugby if you wanted a difficult sport to remotely progress in.Puts the NFL to shame.

laborforeyou
02-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Football is only played in the US ... Basketball is played all over the world. So Proportionally speaking basketball would be much tougher to 'make it'.

baseball is played all over the world too

black1605
02-24-2011, 01:24 AM

So because it is played in other countries, you can "make it" in other countries. Major American football is only played in America. Thanks for enhancing my point.

laborforeyou
02-24-2011, 01:26 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Academics+and+Athletes/Education+and+Research/Probability+of+Competing/Methodology+-+Prob+of+Competing

Jay_Dub
02-24-2011, 01:26 AM
baseball is played all over the world too

Baseball isn't played all over the world ... I'm not sure how many countries exactly but I know it's not played in Europe, Africa, South America, and a lot of Asia (excluding Japan and Korea). I would guess somewhere around 10 or 20 countries play Baseball. I could be off tho.

laborforeyou
02-24-2011, 01:27 AM
keep in mind that baseball has about 60 rnds and maybe 3-5 from a given year per team actually ever play in the bigs, let alone "make it"

Jay_Dub
02-24-2011, 01:28 AM
So because it is played in other countries, you can "make it" in other countries. Major American football is only played in America. Thanks for enhancing my point.

You are completely twisting the logic ... I was assuming from earlier posts that 'making it' implied playing at the highest level.

laborforeyou
02-24-2011, 01:29 AM
Baseball isn't played all over the world ... I'm not sure how many countries exactly but I know it's not played in Europe, Africa, South America, and a lot of Asia (excluding Japan and Korea). I would guess somewhere around 10 or 20 countries play Baseball. I could be off tho.

there are 16 teams that play in the WBC

black1605
02-24-2011, 01:29 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Academics+and+Athletes/Education+and+Research/Probability+of+Competing/Methodology+-+Prob+of+Competing

This only addresses playing in the NFL and NBA. You can "make it" in lots of professional basketball leagues, there are only a handful of professional football leagues.

black1605
02-24-2011, 01:31 AM
You are completely twisting the logic ... I was assuming from earlier posts that 'making it' implied playing at the highest level.

There are a million ways to "twist the logic". I am saying that you can make your living playing a basketball easier than you can make a living playing American football worldwide.

laborforeyou
02-24-2011, 01:36 AM
This only addresses playing in the NFL and NBA. You can "make it" in lots of professional basketball leagues, there are only a handful of professional football leagues.

why are you omitting MLB?

i guess that depends on what "making it" entails. me personally, the criteria would be playing in a league where you can make a very comfortable living.

i wouldnt count AAA players, and probably would exclude AAAA players in baseball. anyone not in the NBA or making bank overseas (which isnt as many ppl as you think) and certainly wouldnt count the d league. or anyone not in the NFL.

then you would have to get into whether or not you count guys who play 1 yr for the min then get cut, and similarly situated players.

Jay_Dub
02-24-2011, 01:37 AM
There are a million ways to "twist the logic". I am saying that you can make your living playing a basketball easier than you can make a living playing American football worldwide.

If we are talking about making a living .. then yes I agree with you. If we are talking about making it to the highest level then I wouldn't. There are definitely more basketball leagues world wide than there are football leagues.

black1605
02-24-2011, 01:40 AM

i guess that depends on what "making it" entails. me personally, the criteria would be playing in a league where you can make a very comfortable living.

i wouldnt count AAA players, and probably would exclude AAAA players in baseball. anyone not in the NBA or making bank overseas (which isnt as many ppl as you think) and certainly wouldnt count the d league. or anyone not in the NFL.

then you would have to get into whether or not you count guys who play 1 yr for the min then get cut, and similarly situated players.

I only omit baseball because the main argument seems to be NFL against NBA. I am defining "making it" as being able to make your living solely based on playing a sport. There are major basketball leagues around the world that a player can be successful in, and make their living in. This is not true for American football.

Jay_Dub
02-24-2011, 01:40 AM

How much to AAA players generally make?

black1605
02-24-2011, 01:41 AM
If we are talking about making a living .. then yes I agree with you. If we are talking about making it to the highest level then I wouldn't. There are definitely more basketball leagues world wide than there are football leagues.

That's all I'm saying, like my previous post explained a bit better. It all depends on your definition of what making it is, and really that depends on the individual player.

laborforeyou
02-24-2011, 01:43 AM

but going by the ncaa numbers, 3 in 10000 us hs players get drafted by an nba team. 8 in 10000 us hs players get drafted by an nfl team. now i know these are exact numbers as to who actually plays in the nfl or nba, but theres no way you can convince me that there are nearly 3x as many us players making a living playing ball overseas than play in the nba. thus, at least dealing with us athletes, playing in the nba is harder than playing in the nfl.

the baseball numbers are more difficult to deal with since there are so many rounds in a baseball draft and many players get drafted 2x, and most of those players never sniff the big leagues.

if someone could get a list of the number of athletes who made $1mil career in their sports, that would be a pretty good decider of this debate.

laborforeyou
02-24-2011, 01:44 AM
How much to AAA players generally make?

depends on experience but the min is 2150/month

black1605
02-24-2011, 01:45 AM
but going by the ncaa numbers, 3 in 10000 us hs players get drafted by an nba team. 8 in 10000 us hs players get drafted by an nfl team. now i know these are exact numbers as to who actually plays in the nfl or nba, but theres no way you can convince me that there are nearly 3x as many us players making a living playing ball overseas than play in the nba. thus, at least dealing with us athletes, playing in the nba is harder than playing in the nfl.

the baseball numbers are more difficult to deal with since there are so many rounds in a baseball draft and many players get drafted 2x, and most of those players never sniff the big leagues.

if someone could get a list of the number of athletes who made $1mil career in their sports, that would be a pretty good decider of this debate.

Great point.

Jay_Dub
02-24-2011, 01:50 AM
That's all I'm saying, like my previous post explained a bit better. It all depends on your definition of what making it is, and really that depends on the individual player.

You also have to keep in mind whether or not earning a living is short term or long term ... because in a lot of the basketball leagues worldwide you are not really saving a ton of money you are merely making enough money to survive. Those contracts don't afford someone long term security. When they are done playing they either have to find a coaching job or go back to school so you can get a decent job. I guess that's why I don't consider a lot of international leagues as 'making it'. Where as in the most top level pro leagues you are making minimum 6 figure contracts.

Jay_Dub
02-24-2011, 01:56 AM

Yeah that would definitely settle it. Making $1mil would definitely be considered making it!

JFresh_#8Nets
02-24-2011, 02:07 AM

This!

Saved me the time from typing it :clap:

Jewelz0376
02-24-2011, 02:41 AM
thats sorta true, but the real proportion is with the number of people who play the sport at some level (whether thats as a kid, HS, college) vs the number of pros.

and to an earlier poster who comment on reynolds, there are examples like him in every sport, ever heard of charlie ward?

Not nearly as many as in basketball...as far as football goes it happens all the time with qb's because of running qbs and spread qbs, but it still doesnt compare to basketball

Chacarron
02-24-2011, 02:45 AM
So? That means you are competing with a lot more people. Injury issues, combined with the fact that you are competing with more people alone make the NFL harder to be successful in.

You can also say that NFL players have better chances because there are more available roster spots.

IBleedPurple
02-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Less players on the team, shocking

Swashcuff
02-24-2011, 08:35 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8CkKe2fkVw&feature=player_embedded

I didn't know Kevin Durant weighs over 300 lbs? :confused:

Fmaranesi
02-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Baseball is by far the hardest sport to make it.

Hitting a 95+ mph fastball is much harder then catching a football or shooting a basketball.

Swashcuff
02-24-2011, 08:52 AM
As far as North American sports goes I'd certainly have to agree that the MLB is the hardest of all the professional sporting leagues to make it big. But European Club Football (real Football not American football) is easily the hardest IMO.