PDA

View Full Version : How smart is Mikhail Prokhorov for stealing Williams?

shep33
02-23-2011, 01:13 PM
I know people were laughing about how he said that the Knicks overpaid for Melo, I was one of them... but man, the Nets IMO underpaid for Williams. Harris was likely gone anyways, Favors still needs some time... great move by the Nets.

Key now is how is he gonna convince him to re-sign with the Nets? Anyways... I am noway a Nets fan haha, but I gotta say i'm impressed by this move. What is your take?

I still love the Knicks move, you get Anthony at all costs that aren't Amare... but they definitely increased the tag for Melo going to the Knicks, no question about that, now they steal Williams. Pretty good move.

i know people saying that giving up that top 5 pick is too much, but this is going to be a very very weak draft guys, and if Williams gets them more wins they could end up giving Utah a higher pick anyways.

Still Knicks had to do it IMO, Nets with a great countermove though.

tangent12
02-23-2011, 01:14 PM
More like sneaky.

Ninja Mikhail is his name.

SteBO
02-23-2011, 01:14 PM
:worthy: Genius

DerekRE_3
02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
I'd take Deron over Melo to begin with. Very smart to say "**** you" to the Nuggets and be patient instead of falling into a trap like the Knicks did.

Frrrrank!!!
02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
If Williams signs than yes.

justinnum1
02-23-2011, 01:17 PM
He just did some serious work on the knicks...drove up the price of melo and scored at top 10 player. Not to shabby

Hoopsadvocate
02-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Um no not really. Its overrated (not d will but the trade) they are basically taking a huge risk because Williams is a FA in a year so they basically gave up their future for a rental of Williams. So unless they get more signigicant pieces soon d will may likely leave.

Slimsim
02-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Um no not really. Its overrated (not d will but the trade) they are basically taking a huge risk because Williams is a FA in a year so they basically gave up their future for a rental of Williams. So unless they get more signigicant pieces soon d will may likely leave.

I agree with this guy Good trade but right now very risky if D will don't sign The extension

Slimsim
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I'd take Deron over Melo to begin with. Very smart to say "**** you" to the Nuggets and be patient instead of falling into a trap like the Knicks did.

Anyone think D will would be traded if Melo stayed ? you never know these things

KDM1986
Whats scary is this move probably wont be the end. The nets will end up trading for another guy and have a good core of Dwill, Brooks, and player x. The eastern teams just keep loading up.

shep33

You know what though? I think the Nets had to take a risk, and in all honesty it wasn't a huge risk IMO. Look at what they gave up...

-Devin Harris who they were trying to deal anyways
-Derrick Favors who is still raw, and needs some work- has potential though
-the picks are the heaviest thing they have up, but I mean this draft if people haven't noticed is not that strong at all, weaker than last year.

D-Block21-Chito
02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
GREAT GREAT move! D-will is a franchise player... How can you go wrong with that? Plus I really think now that the nets have him we will resign. Jay-Z and Russian head will put on a show for him and he will be loved over there.. Nets are not done yet plus have more draft picks...I hope Dwight Howard goes to the nets. That would make another great team

THE_FLASH_21
If Williams signs than yes.

THANK YOU!!!!! Nets have good pieces but so did the jazz.. we will end up IMO in his Hometown Dallas. Once Jkidd is gone.

MrfadeawayJB
I think its a good move, Deron will resign if New Jersey makes a splash this summer, which i expect them to do

blahblahyoutoo
this is the guy the knicks should've gotten instead of Melo.
meets their needs more and probably could've gotten it done for cheaper.

topdog
Nice rebound. I will say that. Maybe Prokorov should teach Lopez to rebound :D

DerekRE_3
02-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Anyone think D will would be traded if Melo stayed ? you never know these things

No, we don't. But the Nets were smart regardless not to give in to the Nuggets demands.

THE_FLASH_21
02-23-2011, 01:26 PM
You know what though? I think the Nets had to take a risk, and in all honesty it wasn't a huge risk IMO. Look at what they gave up...

-Devin Harris who they were trying to deal anyways
-Derrick Favors who is still raw, and needs some work- has potential though
-the picks are the heaviest thing they have up, but I mean this draft if people haven't noticed is not that strong at all, weaker than last year.

but man.. idk what if he goes somewhere else?? I hope he does... Dont want him out west lol... Well sucks we lost him, but we got some good stuff for him.

SaveTheKnicks
02-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Only Time Will Tell

Hellbound
02-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Whats scary is this move probably wont be the end. The nets will end up trading for another guy and have a good core of Dwill, Brooks, and player x. The eastern teams just keep loading up.

Yeah they still have 2 other first rounders at their expense to deal away if they choose to. Could get very interesting for the Nets

Crackadalic
02-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Can we trade owners? Dolan gives in like a little girl

shep33
02-23-2011, 01:30 PM
but man.. idk what if he goes somewhere else?? I hope he does... Dont want him out west lol... Well sucks we lost him, but we got some good stuff for him.

Listen I agree, Jazz still got a good package no doubt, and they got a starting pg back. I totally agree its a risk if he doesn't re-sign, but I think this is a risk the Nets had to make. If they can somehow pick up one more great player, which they still can with their draft picks and cap space, then it will be a truly scary team.

Remember though it's a big if... lol I'm a Laker fan too, so I don't want him out west unless he's coming to LA lol

Chest Rockwell
02-23-2011, 01:31 PM
It all depends on if DWill signs the extension. Giving up those assets for a year and a half isn't smart IMO. But it's a good deal because he looked like a clown whiffing on FA and then not landing Melo on 2 separate occasions after talking so much ****. Time will tell if this was a good deal or not.

tangent12
02-23-2011, 01:32 PM

This.

With the team that they had, they could've greatly benefited from an elite PG like Deron. Just imagine Stat + Deron running the offense.

Not to mention the fact that the guy is a true pure point guard who knows how to distribute and get guys shots. Gallinari would've also benefited tremendously from this... AND the Knicks would've been a more complete team without giving away so many piece because like blah said, they coudl've gotten Deron for cheaper.

NYMetros
02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Very good move. I think the Nets fans should feel secure that he is the guy running their franchise, because he knows what he's doing.

kblo247
02-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Prok won this poker game. He made NYK pay a big price for Melo, then get's the better player for less than what Nuggets and Nets agreed for in exchange for Melo.

Prok whipped his dick out and pissed on the Knicks Nuggets and Jazz(Sloan) all at once. Jay-Z needs to be playing "I'm a hustla ask about me" in the background of Deron's press conference

Killinmesoftly
02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
More like sneaky.

Ninja Mikhail is his name.

hahhahaha
+1

JDMVP
02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icKq_67TGFk

Man I am Happy for him lol

kblo247
02-23-2011, 01:39 PM
It all depends on if DWill signs the extension. Giving up those assets for a year and a half isn't smart IMO. But it's a good deal because he looked like a clown whiffing on FA and then not landing Melo on 2 separate occasions after talking so much ****. Time will tell if this was a good deal or not.

Deron either extends and they have a franchise guy for the first time since Kidd or they have a better piece to use in a Trade next year and bring back more than Favors and Harris ever could. He set his team up for a win with or without an extension

BigBlueCrew
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
This all depends if Williams signs the extension. If not, this is a terrible move.

ragee
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Is this official? Wow... They forced their rival to make a trade and let Denver raped them then got arguably the best pg in the NBA??? Wow... :clap:

Oldmantrash
02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Chris Brousard just said that they can offer him an extension,at the beginning of July,just before the current CBA expires.

He may want to do what Melo will do,and sign before the new CBA,think that is advantage to Nets signing him long term.

Now I'm not 100% about this,only going by Broussard.

ElMarroAfamado
02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
wow the Jazz got rid of their best player...now it makes the Jerry Sloan resigning thing even more interesting I wonder what really happened since both he and deron are gonen ow

Killinmesoftly
02-23-2011, 01:45 PM

I agree the knicks lost so many good players...

Hoopsadvocate
02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
If he were really smart he'd trade Brook Lopez and package travis outlaws ****** contract with him.

Kyle916
02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Not that smart... I called this months ago.

strahan92osi72
02-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Apparently not smart enough to know Deron don't want to play here. Way to go giving up your assets for a guy who's gonna bolt after next season.

THE_FLASH_21
02-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Listen I agree, Jazz still got a good package no doubt, and they got a starting pg back. I totally agree its a risk if he doesn't re-sign, but I think this is a risk the Nets had to make. If they can somehow pick up one more great player, which they still can with their draft picks and cap space, then it will be a truly scary team.

Remember though it's a big if... lol I'm a Laker fan too, so I don't want him out west unless he's coming to LA lol

I know i dont want to relate baseball and basketball, but im a huge Braves fan. And i remember how much we gave up 2 get Tex. And we ended up with nothing.. It would suck for the Nets. Cause i always had a soft spot for the nets. Hope they dont get ****ed over.. just my 2 cents..

Madtown22
02-23-2011, 01:48 PM
I was confused with some of the things he said over the weekend, He knew he wasn't getting Melo, Nice work Nets!

THE_FLASH_21
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
wow the Jazz got rid of their best player...now it makes the Jerry Sloan resigning thing even more interesting I wonder what really happened since both he and deron are gonen ow

Sloan comes back:D

blahblahyoutoo
02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
a lot smarter than Dolan for sure, but that's not saying much.

yshNYK
02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
i'll die laughing if dwill doesnt sign with nj/bk and ends up a knick in FAgency lol

however i do like dwill on the nets..NJ needed this and brings a real rivalry to the tri-state

THE_FLASH_21
02-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Apparently not smart enough to know Deron don't want to play here. Way to go giving up your assets for a guy who's gonna bolt after next season.

well he's never said that. imo he tests the FA market

Chest Rockwell
02-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Deron either extends and they have a franchise guy for the first time since Kidd or they have a better piece to use in a Trade next year and bring back more than Favors and Harris ever could. He set his team up for a win with or without an extension

I like the fantasy world you live in. Without knowing the market for him next year or if he wants to stay in NJ or not you just know he's just going to simply get more than he traded away. It was a good move but get off his dick bro you look foolish.

Chi StateOfMind
02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
deron has to sign extension then yes he made a huge deal....deron to me is the best point guard in the game over CP3 then Rose

shep33
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
I know i dont want to relate baseball and basketball, but im a huge Braves fan. And i remember how much we gave up 2 get Tex. And we ended up with nothing.. It would suck for the Nets. Cause i always had a soft spot for the nets. Hope they dont get ****ed over.. just my 2 cents..

I'm with you on that... it's a risk, but ulitmately if the Nets wanted to make noise I think they had to do this. It could backfire, but one good thing is that Harris would've been gone anyways, so realistically they traded Favors + a couple of picks in a draft that is sadly very very weak. I think it's a good gamble, not one that doesn't kill the franchise if it doesn't go through either.

THE_FLASH_21
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Prok won this poker game. He made NYK pay a big price for Melo, then get's the better player for less than what Nuggets and Nets agreed for in exchange for Melo.

Prok whipped his dick out and pissed on the Knicks Nuggets and Jazz(Sloan) all at once. Jay-Z needs to be playing "I'm a hustla ask about me" in the background of Deron's press conference

:facepalm: yea whatever u say there buddy.. Funny when he ends up somewhere else.

THE_FLASH_21
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm with you on that... it's a risk, but ulitmately if the Nets wanted to make noise I think they had to do this. It could backfire, but one good thing is that Harris would've been gone anyways, so realistically they traded Favors + a couple of picks in a draft that is sadly very very weak. I think it's a good gamble, not one that doesn't kill the franchise if it doesn't go through either.

agreed

Sandman
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
What did he do?

Williams is pissed and he'll probably walk.

bahama0811
02-23-2011, 01:58 PM
This was a great move by the Nets. They got D-Will for a guy that was gone anyways and a rookie that may never pan out to anything. The picks are nice for the Jazz but that was a steal.

Sandman
02-23-2011, 02:00 PM
No, we don't. But the Nets were smart regardless not to give in to the Nuggets demands.
Didnt they have 4 1sts and all their assets on the table? I think MELO decided not to go to Jersey.

farren.louis
02-23-2011, 02:00 PM
He just did some serious work on the knicks...drove up the price of melo and scored at top 10 player. Not to shabby
:clap: Thats exact;y what happen!!! and they had this in the back of there minds the whole time and they did it on the "down low" smart move i think d-will can make lopez better.. but playoffs noooo i dnt think so

DerekRE_3
02-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Didnt they have 4 1sts and all their assets on the table? I think MELO decided not to go to Jersey.

Who knows. Either way the Nets end up looking good.

Bornknick73
02-23-2011, 02:02 PM
While the Knicks and nets franchises were engaged in bloody combat for Melo what stood out is the balls on this russian.

This guy will be as big as Steinbrenner around these parts for years to come. This move by the Nets is brilliant and they didnt even need a standing 8 count.

What was thought to be a Knicks KO turned out to be just a slip and not even considered a knock down. Good for the Nets, what a recovery. I cant hate on them, you gotta give the respect where its due and this russian bastard deserves all the credit.

Proky is like the ****ing Terminator...

He couldnt pull it off in preseason..."I'll Be Back"

He pulls out of the deal....."Ill Be Back"

He gets spurned a third time...."Ill Be Back"

He lands DWill under everyones noses...."Asta La Vista, Baby"

Mikhail "The Terminator" Prokhorov

I love the guy and regardless of our Hatfield and McCoy feud with the Nets im glad hes gonna be in our area for years to come.

Definitely a NYC type hustler..and from player to player and pimp to pimp you gotta respect the Hustle.

Big Ups...buck, buck ,buck!!

BigBlueCrew
02-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Its not the Nets who were in charge of the Melo negotiation, they were just being played along for the ride.

Bornknick73
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
and they would have to go like 25-3 the rest of the way to make it, so lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

BigBlueCrew
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Everyone knows! The only people doubting it were Nets fans.

RedRicanoBx
02-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Good move by Nj I'm pissed but impressed

DerekRE_3
02-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Everyone knows! The only people doubting it were Nets fans.

All people know is what was reported, and a lot of reporters out there take one source and publish. This is especially true when it's nearing the trade deadline and it's all about being the first one to report something instead of being accurate.

Regardless of why the Nets didn't get Melo, they end up looking great, while the Knicks overpaid. That's just the facts. I'd take Deron over Melo all day, and they got him for less.

BigBlueCrew
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
All people know is what was reported, and a lot of reporters out there take one source and publish. This is especially true when it's nearing the trade deadline and it's all about being the first one to report something instead of being accurate.

Regardless of why the Nets didn't get Melo, they end up looking great, while the Knicks overpaid. That's just the facts. I'd take Deron over Melo all day, and they got him for less.

Of course they got him for less, he hasn't signed the extension!

You gave away what you gave away for a rental.

Bornknick73
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
And please dont hate on the Nets, they made a great recovery and should be accepting congrats right now.

Im extremely happy for them.

kblo247
02-23-2011, 02:10 PM
I like the fantasy world you live in. Without knowing the market for him next year or if he wants to stay in NJ or not you just know he's just going to simply get more than he traded away. It was a good move but get off his dick bro you look foolish.

You are foolish to disagree when they only had to give up a 8 and 6 guy and a PG who is consistently hurt and has been a failed multi-year experiment for the best PG in the league (when you take into account health in comparison to Paul).

*Troy didn't play so he has no value in the deal whatsoever and apparently it was two separate trades according to SI.

You can get something for Deron next year from a team that is far greater than the **** they got offered for Harris just this year after he and his people have said he wants out. After driving up the price for Melo and Chauncey, disgruntling Rip in Detorit, and never letting this deal break until it was done, you would have to be a damn fool to question their owner's business sense and actual knowledge of how to run an organization. He has earned the right for one to believe he can either get Deron to extend and be the franchise guy in BK or will flip him to a team for talent that will be supporting pieces for another guy with their cap space.

BigBlueCrew
02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
And please dont hate on the Nets, they made a great recovery and should be accepting congrats right now.

Can we hate on Nets fans?

KingPosey
02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
He back-doored the entire league while they all watched the Melo situation

ImThatDude
02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
What did Prokhorov do? He doesn't even know who Deron Williams is.

I believe it was Billy King who made the deal.

bovice163
02-23-2011, 02:16 PM
He's a ****ing genius. He got DWill for dirt cheap, while the Knicks gutted half their roster for Melo.

Sandman
02-23-2011, 02:18 PM

The Nets don't look good until he signs an extension.

ddhulett
02-23-2011, 02:18 PM
D-will doesn't want to play for the Nets so he will be unhappy and gone in a year anyway!

Seems like a good move but it's not because the Nets need to draft their players know one wants to play for them.

Bornknick73
02-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Can we hate on Nets fans?

Be nice. At least for a few days....

LOOTERX9
02-23-2011, 02:22 PM

No, kNICKS getting cp3 anyway. Melo, AMare, cp3 > just amare, Dwilliams

Sandman
02-23-2011, 02:22 PM
He's a ****ing genius. He got DWill for dirt cheap, while the Knicks gutted half their roster for Melo.

They kept their best player and they kept Fields.

The Nets just gutted their roster.

and Williams is already pissed.

He wont re-sign

DerekRE_3
02-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Chris Webber cried when he was traded to Sacramento. Then he re-upped for 7 years when teams like New York were after him.

ne3xchamps
02-23-2011, 02:23 PM
he thinks he is the theo epstein of basketball! :clap:

Bornknick73
02-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Cant we all just get along?

quiksilver2491
The Nets don't look good until he signs an extension.

Not really. I like the Nets deal better then what the Knicks gave up for Melo and that's with the uncertainty about D-Will's extension.

It's not like Prokhorov isn't going to attempt to add another super star to play with D-Will and the Nets are going to have amongst the best cap space in the NBA to do so.

BigBlueCrew
They kept their best player and they kept Fields.

The Nets just gutted their roster.

and Williams is already pissed.

He wont re-sign

The Nets gutted their roster?

Did they have a roster to gut?

Sandman
02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Chris Webber cried when he was traded to Sacramento. Then he re-upped for 7 years when teams like New York were after him.
They don't have years to build a team, they have one season.

What happened to all the talk that the Nets assets were better?

The Knicks definitely have more left after the trade.

Not really. I like the Nets deal better then what the Knicks gave up for Melo and that's with the uncertainty about D-Will's extension.

It's not like Prokhorov isn't going to attempt to add another super star to play with D-Will and the Nets are going to have amongst the best cap space in the NBA to do so.
Who are they going to throw money at this season? Gasol or DeAndre Jordan? Brook Lopez is the only player they kept.

COOLbeans
02-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Mikhail Prokhorov :dance:

Dolan :guns:

ClayMatthews
Their owner is dumb. Way too much was given up two stud players and two first round picks!

kblo247

This.

On a serious note though, does anyone else here watch the Nets?

Have they not seen that Hump has outclassed Favors all year, that Harris wasn't happy there and his people wanted out, that Morrow/Vujacic/Farmar/Hump have been their main support all year long, and know that Deron is a top 2 PG that will either be their star or net them talent in a trade down the road?

I mean there is no loss on the part of the Nets since the fact is Favors hasn't been good with minutes and Harris has been a horribly failed experiment that has resulted in terrible seasons and wasted money.

People are talking out their *** without ever watching the team this year and just6 commenting on the players in Favors and Harris by name

DamnGoat
02-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Impressive deal by the Nets, very impressive.

The Knicks gave up half their roster for Melo and the Nets give up 2 players and come away with the better player. If they can acquire another star this summer and put the right pieces around DWill they'll be tough in the East.

madiaz3
02-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Not sure Deron is as motivated by cash as Melo was.

Me and Mr. T
02-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Their owner is dumb. Way too much was given up two stud players and two first round picks!

Favors is a stud? The guy averages 6 ppg and 5 rpg! LOL!

Laxer38922
02-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Sandman, How did the Nets gut their roster but the Knicks didn't?

Nets gave away a good pg but is injury prone.
A 19yr old PF who has potential but isn't anywhere near being good now.
Murphy, an expiring contract. And a 1st rounder in a very weak draft.

Knicks gave up 3 starters, a rookie C, Anthony Randolph who is viewed by some to have a lot of potential, an expiring in Curry and draft picks.

I may not be a math major but the Last time I checked 6 players aregreater than 3 players. And on top of it, Williams supposedly can sign an extension after July 9th under the current CBA which means he can make more resigning with the Nets than going to another team.

Also, the Knicks maybe left with more talent because they had more talent before the trade.

COOLbeans
02-23-2011, 02:39 PM
While the Knicks and nets franchises were engaged in bloody combat for Melo what stood out is the balls on this russian.

This guy will be as big as Steinbrenner around these parts for years to come. This move by the Nets is brilliant and they didnt even need a standing 8 count.

What was thought to be a Knicks KO turned out to be just a slip and not even considered a knock down. Good for the Nets, what a recovery. I cant hate on them, you gotta give the respect where its due and this russian bastard deserves all the credit.

Proky is like the ****ing Terminator...

He couldnt pull it off in preseason..."I'll Be Back"

He pulls out of the deal....."Ill Be Back"

He gets spurned a third time...."Ill Be Back"

He lands DWill under everyones noses...."Asta La Vista, Baby"

Mikhail "The Terminator" Prokhorov

I love the guy and regardless of our Hatfield and McCoy feud with the Nets im glad hes gonna be in our area for years to come.

Definitely a NYC type hustler..and from player to player and pimp to pimp you gotta respect the Hustle.

Big Ups...buck, buck ,buck!!

lol This was well said and gets a :cool:

BigBlueCrew
02-23-2011, 02:40 PM
They don't have years to build a team, they have one season.

What happened to all the talk that the Nets assets were better?

The Knicks definitely have more left after the trade.

Who are they going to throw money at this season? Gasol or DeAndre Jordan? Brook Lopez is the only player they kept.

Dude Im a Knicks fan. I know the Nets had nothing serious on their roster. Its like stripping a Yugo for its parts.

quiksilver2491
02-23-2011, 02:41 PM

Who says they have to acquire a FA this season? Are trades not allowed anymore? Who is to say they don't trade Lopez for a wing player, wait for 2012 and sign Dwight? There are a ton of options left for the Nets and they have an owner who is willing and money to play with.

Sandman
02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Sandman, How did the Nets gut their roster but the Knicks didn't?

Nets gave away a good pg but is injury prone.
A 19yr old PF who has potential but isn't anywhere near being good now.
Murphy, an expiring contract. And a 1st rounder in a very weak draft.

Knicks gave up 3 starters, a rookie C, Anthony Randolph who is viewed by some to have a lot of potential, an expiring in Curry and draft picks.

I may not be a math major but the Last time I checked 6 players aregreater than 3 players. And on top of it, Williams supposedly can sign an extension after July 9th under the current CBA which means he can make more resigning with the Nets than going to another team.
They traded 3 starters and got 2 back. They also traded Randolph and a first round pick in 2014, and they got back the bodies of Brewer Balkman and Carter. They also traded guys they would have had to give big (8-11m) extensions to before signing a 3rd star player.

Is Williams really going to re-sign? Who are they going to get before then and what assets do they have left? Because after the deal, the Knicks have fields, Billups expiring contract and no money committed after next season (other than Melo or Amare).

Sandman
02-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Who says they have to acquire a FA this season? Are trades not allowed anymore? Who is to say they don't trade Lopez for a wing player, wait for 2012 and sign Dwight? There are a ton of options left for the Nets and they have an owner who is willing and money to play with.

By then, Williams is already a free agent on what sounds like a last place team.

papipapsmanny
02-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Man I wish the Wizards would do something

quiksilver2491
02-23-2011, 02:53 PM
By then, Williams is already a free agent on what sounds like a last place team.

You honestly believe that next year the Nets are a last place team? I'd take the Knicks current roster+Melo over the Nets current roster+D-Will but it's not by much.

Killinmesoftly
02-23-2011, 02:53 PM
:facepalm:

Killinmesoftly
02-23-2011, 02:54 PM
:clap:

Killinmesoftly
02-23-2011, 02:56 PM
What did Prokhorov do? He doesn't even know who Deron Williams is.

I believe it was Billy King who made the deal.

Dwill is a Net.

Killinmesoftly
02-23-2011, 02:57 PM
:clap:
Impressive deal by the Nets, very impressive.

The Knicks gave up half their roster for Melo and the Nets give up 2 players and come away with the better player. If they can acquire another star this summer and put the right pieces around DWill they'll be tough in the East.

Laxer38922
02-23-2011, 03:00 PM
They traded 3 starters and got 2 back. They also traded Randolph and a first round pick in 2014, and they got back the bodies of Brewer Balkman and Carter. They also traded guys they would have had to give big (8-11m) extensions to before signing a 3rd star player.

Is Williams really going to re-sign? Who are they going to get before then and what assets do they have left? Because after the deal, the Knicks have fields, Billups expiring contract and no money committed after next season (other than Melo or Amare).

Nets traded 2 starters and got 1 back. Nets also got back some bodies from the Warriors. They also still have I believe it is 2 more 1st rounder in the coming draft. The Nets can play with Williams, he either signs the bigger contract with them or they trade him(ala Melo) for more prospects then they gave away in the first place. I think Nets need to make 1 more trade and/or Lopez become the player everyone thought he would become.

I am not a Nets fan, I am just saying it is a pretty good trade. I don't know how I feel about the Melo trade since I think they gave a lot up but I do believe the Knicks are in a good situation.

magichatnumber9
02-23-2011, 03:05 PM
How is the owner the smart one. Don't they have a gm?

blahblahyoutoo
02-23-2011, 03:10 PM
No, kNICKS getting cp3 anyway. Melo, AMare, cp3 > just amare, Dwilliams

lol @ knicks fans thinking they can get whoever they want.

kblo247
02-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Avery Johnson: "We're not done yet." From @Al_Iannazzone

sportzkid1503
02-23-2011, 03:21 PM

did you see all the players the knicks gave up in that melo trade?? gallo (starter), chandler (starter), felton (starter), mozgov (has started a few games) and picks. who are you kidding? the only two guys the knicks didnt trade were landry fields and amare. the nets gave up a decent (very overrated) pg in devin harris (starter), and derrick favors who wasnt helpin us right now anyway and picks in which we have more of, for possibly THE best point guard in basketball. all we did is upgrade in point guard by ALOT and also d will will attract other players to come here as well. anybody knocking this trade or saying we gave up too much is out of their mind. i was shocked by this. AMAZING deal by my man proky.

jrm2054
02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
The Russian is genius i promise you the nets will build in the next year and resign Williams and i have a feeling they arent done yet making moves this year

OaklandsFinest
02-23-2011, 04:28 PM
The Knicks are not going to get D Will!! Either D Will is going to resign with Brooklyn or he's headed to Texas. I like the move for the Nets, but not really sure why they were trading Harris, I guess he was just their best piece. Next year watch NJ make a move for Howard if they dont get a center like Nene in the offseason. The Brook experiment is about to be a wrap and Orlando may want to just get what they can for D Howard..

BigBlueCrew
02-23-2011, 04:33 PM
The Knicks are not going to get D Will!! Either D Will is going to resign with Brooklyn or he's headed to Texas. I like the move for the Nets, but not really sure why they were trading Harris, I guess he was just their best piece. Next year watch NJ make a move for Howard if they dont get a center like Nene in the offseason. The Brook experiment is about to be a wrap and Orlando may want to just get what they can for D Howard..

No the Brook experiment cant be a wrap. Isnt he a Hall of Famer?

Lakeshow86
02-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Only if williams signs a extension will it be a steal. I bet he does because I doubt Nets would have traded for him if he wasnt going to sign with Nets. Nets have some good talent now with Williams and Lopez that can attractive to other star players.

CowboysKB24
02-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Great move, but Deron Williams needs to resign there and they need more pieces. Brooks Lopez is good combo and they will be a decent team, but they need more. Harris and Favors are not the answer for the Nets. I am not high on Favors or Harris, so it was a nice move for them. It was a steal for Nets for sure. It sounds odd, but Melo would be a perfect fit for the Nets now LOL. Lopez Melo and Williams would be pretty deadly.

stlbest5in2013
02-23-2011, 04:51 PM
yes its a good move. these super teams are not going to happen.

new york will likely get cp3, thats fine, even though it will likely be for 10-12 mil. most teams rosters dont have the stars on board, and the cap space with the cap, going to go down to sign anyone they want.

mean while new jersey has tons of cap space.

they just became huge players for d12, d12 can still get his money in nj. well it would be brooklyn then. also still pusrue an acting career in the big apple.

so lopez is not a great or even good player when it comes to being an all around big man. but its better for orlando if d12 wanted to come to the nets, to get him in a S&T then nobody.

there are 2 teams right now that "could" become super teams inthe next few years. one is the nets, the other is the thunder, if blake griffin wanted to go home, then okc is going to be a sick team.

i still dont see any other super teams or friends forming up, the owners will **** block it at all costs. that said the nets and thunder are sitting the prettiest of all the teams, to be able to do that.

the bulls are sitting okay to get a d12 only because they can S&T boozer or noah for d12 if he wanted to be in chicago, i would like that but doubt it happens.

i like where the nets are heading

now the only **** block in this is, if williams hits FA, and the knicks get him quick. then where does that leave cp3 and d12? i dont see NO as an option being they are likely being moved out of the N.O.

la is an option for d12 but i dont see why any team would touch bynum with a 10 foot pole. ven orlando until bynum can at least stay on the court 60-70 games a year, something he has been unable to do.

1_FrozenNetsFan
02-23-2011, 04:53 PM
You don't know he's gonna be a "rental". Only time will tell. ;)

Of course they got him for less, he hasn't signed the extension!

You gave away what you gave away for a rental.

jkcronyn
02-23-2011, 04:58 PM
but i mean what "Star" is a free agent this summer?

tredigs
02-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Domination by Jersey - a true top ten player/marquee guy, and this draft is pathetically weak; softening the blow of this years pick significantly. Now the onus is on them to convince D. Will to stay, but the hardest part is done. I'm crying right now if I'm a New Yorker. What a great combo him and Amare would have been - and they probably could've got it done for Felton/Chandler + a pick/cash - letting them keep Gallo and Mosgov.

Tuck&Rolle
02-23-2011, 05:21 PM
It's a ok deal if he signs an extension. They gave up Davin Harris a good PG and Favors a very young talent along with 2 first rounds picks. Thats a lot to give up but if I were a Nets fan I would be happy.

Now heres a potential problem, I've heard he's not happy about the trade and will not accept an extension when the time comes. If thats true then it's a horrible trade and Poky is an idiot.

Tuck&Rolle
02-23-2011, 05:23 PM
BTW how bout giving Billy King some credit lol

rurichie
02-23-2011, 05:50 PM
It's a ok deal if he signs an extension. They gave up Davin Harris a good PG and Favors a very young talent along with 2 first rounds picks. Thats a lot to give up but if I were a Nets fan I would be happy.

Now heres a potential problem, I've heard he's not happy about the trade and will not accept an extension when the time comes. If thats true then it's a horrible trade and Poky is an idiot.

Ru kidding Devin Harris is past his prime already and wanted out of NJ. Favors is young but ok and could be good or could be a bust. and we barely gave up anything for a top3 PG

hard_candy
02-23-2011, 06:16 PM
It's only a steal if he resigns, which I doubt he will. He's not a franchise player, and he's smart enough to realize he can get paid AND play for a winning team just by playing out the season.

Lake_Show2416
02-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Ru kidding Devin Harris is past his prime already and wanted out of NJ. Favors is young but ok and could be good or could be a bust. and we barely gave up anything for a top3 PG

that is a stupid he's 27.. if anything the nets didn't put anything good around him ..besides a big that doesn't know how to rebound

Raps18-19 Champ
02-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Crap.

The Raptors will be at the bottom of the East for a couple more years I guess.

When Irving develops, the Atlantic will have 3 top 10 PG's in Rondo, Williams and Irving.

themadstork
02-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Is there anything in sports more entertaining these days than the bitter/delusional Knick fan? Just fantastic.

Prokhorov played his hand as well as it could have been played, and has secured a monumental first step towards moving the Nets into respectability and possibly, with a few more shrewd moves...greatness.

Nets fans can go to sleep tonight knowing that the guy running their show is smarter than most. Knick fans go to sleep knowing that their's isn't.

-Stork

TrueFan420
02-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Is there anything in sports more entertaining these days than the bitter/delusional Knick fan? Just fantastic.

Prokhorov played his hand as well as it could have been played, and has secured a monumental first step towards moving the Nets into respectability and possibly, with a few more shrewd moves...greatness.

Nets fans can go to sleep tonight knowing that the guy running their show is smarter than most. Knick fans go to sleep knowing that their's isn't.

-Stork

while i agree that depends on who you think called the shot on melo to the knicks was it walsh or dolan... i think dolan pushed to make that trade.

More-Than-Most
02-23-2011, 07:14 PM
You don't know he's gonna be a "rental". Only time will tell. ;)

even if he is a rental the Nets still win. They stole Williams from Utah for considerably less than they should have. If he refuses to sign and they turn around and trade him down the road they most likely get a much better package. Its really a win/win for the Nets franchise.

SF25
02-23-2011, 07:15 PM
To answer this question we gotta wait to see if Deron signs an extension with them. If he does then Prokhorov made a great move.

themadstork
02-23-2011, 07:22 PM
while i agree that depends on who you think called the shot on melo to the knicks was it walsh or dolan... i think dolan pushed to make that trade.

Unquestionably...with Isiah whispering in his ear. Thats why they'll lose Walsh and be the biggest reason why they'll never win.

-Stork

dodie53
02-23-2011, 07:40 PM
wow.
i was surprised.

great move nets!

JayAllDay
02-23-2011, 07:45 PM
If he doesn't sign an extension, this deal will make Isiah Thomas look like a viable GM.

ragee
02-23-2011, 08:56 PM
D-will doesn't want to play for the Nets so he will be unhappy and gone in a year anyway!

Seems like a good move but it's not because the Nets need to draft their players know one wants to play for them.

Well, they can do what Denver did next year! I don't see how this is a wrong move at all...

NYKSpiritBomb
02-23-2011, 09:07 PM

if anything it was carmelo that drove up the price, he wanted that money more than anything, he wasn't going to publicly bash the nets :eyebrow:

Bruno
02-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Very. I applaud him. As a billionaire he knows as well as anyone, this isn't checkers, it's chess.

BUD Bleachers
02-23-2011, 09:57 PM
This whole thing is just sad.

Look what the NBA has become.

Unfortunately, many of you are too young to identify the difference.

The players are running the league through their own version of collusion outside of the unions.

In Greg Miller's interview, he right away cited the movement of Bosh, James, and Stoudemire as examples of stars that want to leave and, ultimately, will get what they want.

It's become pretty clear that Williams pushed Sloan out of Utah. Look, now the baby is gone, and so is their hall of fame coach.

It's become an accommodation to a bunch of children.

There are very few men of principle and integrity among NBA players anymore.

LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh, through their move, have officially sabotaged and tainted the NBA.

By the way, if you're a Heat fan, you should be embarrassed. And if you're not embarrassed, then you're missing the whole point.

Nobody likes the Heat. Sure they'll win their share of games, but nobody wants to see it happen and everybody outside of Miami will be rooting against them. That's not how it's supposed to work.

I used to love LeBron James, now I can't even stomach it to look at him. What a talent he is. Look at what he did to himself. He could have been the ambassador of the NBA to the world. Now look at him. What a stupid, selfish fool.

Just look at what Carmelo Anthony and Knicks ownership just did. Oh yeah, Melo was publicly very smooth, but behind the scenes, he and his camp had to have been pricks.

Great. Now the Knicks gave up half their team for this guy and and an aging Chauncey Billups. They now have four guys making $54MM. Who's going to fill out the team? Moreover, who's going to play defense?

This really hurts the Knicks future, because the league is all about star power and marquee names. That's your NBA right there.

The players will beatch and moan until they get what they want. Nobody wants to pay a malcontent eight figures a year.

Who the hell wants to play in Utah, Denver, Oklahoma, New Orleans, Sacramento, Toronto, Minnesota, Oakland, Houston, or hell, even San Antonio?

It's going to be David versus Goliath each night. The league will have to contract teams. That's where this whole thing is heading.

These players are such babies and so selfish that they're completely oblivious to the fact that they're only going to hurt the very league that gives them this surreal living and existence.

Shame on the players. Shame on the agents.

Just wait, the owners are going to strike back in the upcoming CBA, and if they don't, then shame on them.

I'd love to see an NBA lock-out for at least a year just to knock some heads and egos back in check.

The inmates are ruling the asylum, and they're doing a horrible job.

Just remember, what goes around, comes around.

Screw the NBA. Go Bulls and Lakers.

BigCityofDreams
02-24-2011, 12:36 AM
The players always ran the league. This isn't anything new. How much power did Jordan throw around. What about Magic who played a role in Paul Westhead getting fired. What about Jabbar wanting to leave Milwaukee and demanding to be traded to NY or LA. The players always ran the league.

I understand where you're coming from because they are creating super teams but the league hasn't been this popular since Jordan left. Although this probably pisses stern off the league is getting talked about like it hasn't been for yrs.

How does it hurt this knicks future when this was always the plan. The plan was to secure two stars and possibly a third. This is going with what they planned.

DKGiants
02-24-2011, 12:52 AM
:worthy: Genius

this. the East Playoffs are gonna be so good!! I hope DWill can at least get them to an 8 spot. Im a Knick Fan so it would be good to see DWill in also just to have a bunch of all-stars in it.

THE NBA IS BACK BABY!!! the last Decade was kinda terrible but its finally back!

Crackadalic
02-24-2011, 12:58 AM
This whole thing is just sad.

Look what the NBA has become.

Unfortunately, many of you are too young to identify the difference.

The players are running the league through their own version of collusion outside of the unions.

In Greg Miller's interview, he right away cited the movement of Bosh, James, and Stoudemire as examples of stars that want to leave and, ultimately, will get what they want.

It's become pretty clear that Williams pushed Sloan out of Utah. Look, now the baby is gone, and so is their hall of fame coach.

It's become an accommodation to a bunch of children.

There are very few men of principle and integrity among NBA players anymore.

LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh, through their move, have officially sabotaged and tainted the NBA.

By the way, if you're a Heat fan, you should be embarrassed. And if you're not embarrassed, then you're missing the whole point.

Nobody likes the Heat. Sure they'll win their share of games, but nobody wants to see it happen and everybody outside of Miami will be rooting against them. That's not how it's supposed to work.

I used to love LeBron James, now I can't even stomach it to look at him. What a talent he is. Look at what he did to himself. He could have been the ambassador of the NBA to the world. Now look at him. What a stupid, selfish fool.

Just look at what Carmelo Anthony and Knicks ownership just did. Oh yeah, Melo was publicly very smooth, but behind the scenes, he and his camp had to have been pricks.

Great. Now the Knicks gave up half their team for this guy and and an aging Chauncey Billups. They now have four guys making $54MM. Who's going to fill out the team? Moreover, who's going to play defense?

This really hurts the Knicks future, because the league is all about star power and marquee names. That's your NBA right there.

The players will beatch and moan until they get what they want. Nobody wants to pay a malcontent eight figures a year.

Who the hell wants to play in Utah, Denver, Oklahoma, New Orleans, Sacramento, Toronto, Minnesota, Oakland, Houston, or hell, even San Antonio?

It's going to be David versus Goliath each night. The league will have to contract teams. That's where this whole thing is heading.

These players are such babies and so selfish that they're completely oblivious to the fact that they're only going to hurt the very league that gives them this surreal living and existence.

Shame on the players. Shame on the agents.

Just wait, the owners are going to strike back in the upcoming CBA, and if they don't, then shame on them.

I'd love to see an NBA lock-out for at least a year just to knock some heads and egos back in check.

The inmates are ruling the asylum, and they're doing a horrible job.

Just remember, what goes around, comes around.

Screw the NBA. Go Bulls and Lakers.

Why the hell should you sacrifice a players freedom on where they want to go as FA. This stuffs been done for years but its just magnified even more because we live in the internet/social network era where everything is blown up more.

If they don't like it let them fix it in the CBA. Dont blame a player for playing on a team were management cares more about saving money then trying to win a chip.

I remember Denver traded a DPOY player in Camby for a 2nd round pick to cut cost. What kind of ish is that? Thats not building a contender. I dont blame Melo or any of these guys for leaving.

JiffyMix88
02-24-2011, 01:25 AM
stealing or borrowing?

JerseyBrave
02-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Everyone keeps talking about Deron Williams leaving. Lets not forget that one of the big things they keep talking about in the new CBA is a NFL style FRANCHISE TAG to prevent these players from dictating who they want to play for.

BigCityofDreams
02-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Why the hell should you sacrifice a players freedom on where they want to go as FA. This stuffs been done for years but its just magnified even more because we live in the internet/social network era where everything is blown up more.

If they don't like it let them fix it in the CBA. Dont blame a player for playing on a team were management cares more about saving money then trying to win a chip.

I remember Denver traded a DPOY player in Camby for a 2nd round pick to cut cost. What kind of ish is that? Thats not building a contender. I dont blame Melo or any of these guys for leaving.

I have a problem with the new CBA that is coming up. I'm hearing about franchise tags, a harder cap, revenue sharing, tougher restrictions on player movement, etc. How much help do these teams need. They have the bird exceptions, a salary cap, restricted free agents, etc. I understand this thing is making it tougher for basketball to exist in certain cities but at some point doesn't the onus rest on their shoulders.

BigCityofDreams
02-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Everyone keeps talking about Deron Williams leaving. Lets not forget that one of the big things they keep talking about in the new CBA is a NFL style FRANCHISE TAG to prevent these players from dictating who they want to play for.

I really hope they don't enforce a franchise tag.

knickfan33
02-24-2011, 01:34 AM
lmao... the guys an idiot, made the trade without having derron agree to resign... deron will still be a knick next year

Kyle916
02-24-2011, 01:37 AM
I called this months ago...

Mochalman
02-24-2011, 01:41 AM

What this guy said.

2shady4u
02-24-2011, 02:51 AM
it has yet to be seen how smart the move was...if he resigns then GREAT...if not (which im sure) then an idiot...look at it this way...if you were dwill and your contract wasnt up until after the new CBA was constructed ( so it wasnt about signing an extension to get money you werent gonna get the max anyways) and you were on a dead end team and no one wanted to come there and there were pretty much no max players left would you want to resign or go somewhere else?

Anilyzer
02-24-2011, 02:54 AM
Good. Legit top 10 player, probably better than any player in the next draft I'd say.

BigCityofDreams
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
it has yet to be seen how smart the move was...if he resigns then GREAT...if not (which im sure) then an idiot...look at it this way...if you were dwill and your contract wasnt up until after the new CBA was constructed ( so it wasnt about signing an extension to get money you werent gonna get the max anyways) and you were on a dead end team and no one wanted to come there and there were pretty much no max players left would you want to resign or go somewhere else?

Very well said. D Will should not buy into what the Nets are going to sell to him no matter how hard they want him to believe it. This is the same team that Jay-z's boy Lebron had no interest in going to.

goose15
02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
great move if D Will signs an extension

if he doesnt its a total disaster

Double_R
02-24-2011, 10:41 AM
I would take Dwill over Melo any day of the week and if you told me I could have the Knicks pay the highest price possible for Melo, then have to pay him max dollars, then get Dwill for half the price, I'd slap you in the face.

cheetos185
02-24-2011, 10:50 AM
they got him for cheap i would say but proky is 0/4 in convincing superstar to play for nyets so far ...anyways it would exciting if nyets get another max star than NY would be rocking like florida in 2012 hehe

benzni
02-24-2011, 10:59 AM
This.

On a serious note though, does anyone else here watch the Nets?

Have they not seen that Hump has outclassed Favors all year, that Harris wasn't happy there and his people wanted out, that Morrow/Vujacic/Farmar/Hump have been their main support all year long, and know that Deron is a top 2 PG that will either be their star or net them talent in a trade down the road?

I mean there is no loss on the part of the Nets since the fact is Favors hasn't been good with minutes and Harris has been a horribly failed experiment that has resulted in terrible seasons and wasted money.

People are talking out their *** without ever watching the team this year and just6 commenting on the players in Favors and Harris by name

Agreed 100% Harris is just a ballhog.

icon1914
02-24-2011, 11:18 AM
There is nothing smart about it.... It's a huge gamble....

Its an amazing deal IF DWill resigns... If not they traded away a prospect, and this year's lottery pick for a one year rental.

DWill has been used to winning for awhile, he might not want to be part of a rebuilding situation in NJ/Brooklyn... Right now the Nets hold no serious leverage since Williams' can't sign a new deal until after the new CBA...

It's a gamble... But could pay off huge for the Nets....

Vincent33
02-24-2011, 11:41 AM
It was a good move, but now the real problem will be trying to convince Deron Williams to stay a Net after his contract expires in 2012. Possible that the Nets traded some nice young talent in Harris and Favors plus 2 1st round picks for a year rental or so, depending on how long this upcoming lockout will last...

trini_knickfan
02-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Smart if an extension was attached to the trade

bom tenson
02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Smart if an extension was attached to the trade

cldnt agree more...

Badluck33
02-24-2011, 12:30 PM
I know people were laughing about how he said that the Knicks overpaid for Melo, I was one of them... but man, the Nets IMO underpaid for Williams. Harris was likely gone anyways, Favors still needs some time... great move by the Nets.

Key now is how is he gonna convince him to re-sign with the Nets? Anyways... I am noway a Nets fan haha, but I gotta say i'm impressed by this move. What is your take?

I still love the Knicks move, you get Anthony at all costs that aren't Amare... but they definitely increased the tag for Melo going to the Knicks, no question about that, now they steal Williams. Pretty good move.

i know people saying that giving up that top 5 pick is too much, but this is going to be a very very weak draft guys, and if Williams gets them more wins they could end up giving Utah a higher pick anyways.

Still Knicks had to do it IMO, Nets with a great countermove though.

Considering that the russian completly bombed in the summer by missing out on Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Boozer, Amare, and Joe Johnson I'd say he's pretty smart.

Throw in that he complete fukt out on Melo to the Nets... I'd say he is border line genious.

Hunter48MVP
02-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Deron Williams trade seems like a very equal trade

crewzmega
02-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Very well said. D Will should not buy into what the Nets are going to sell to him no matter how hard they want him to believe it. This is the same team that Jay-z's boy Lebron had no interest in going too.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Sandman
02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Nets traded 2 starters and got 1 back. Nets also got back some bodies from the Warriors. They also still have I believe it is 2 more 1st rounder in the coming draft. The Nets can play with Williams, he either signs the bigger contract with them or they trade him(ala Melo) for more prospects then they gave away in the first place. I think Nets need to make 1 more trade and/or Lopez become the player everyone thought he would become.

I am not a Nets fan, I am just saying it is a pretty good trade. I don't know how I feel about the Melo trade since I think they gave a lot up but I do believe the Knicks are in a good situation.
I wasn't trying to say the Nets didn't get a good deal, but they need him to re-sign. If he doesn't relax, nobody is going to want to sign there only to get Baron Davis'd.

I'm more aggravated at the spinners that said since September that the Nets easily had more assets to give up, and that the Knicks all of a sudden "gutted their roster". They're still not a championship team, but they're a big step in that direction, and they're still better than they were last week.

And as a side note, if you think about it, they cleared salary for next year. They swapped Felton for Billups. IMO it's a wash move if you're not looking to keep Felton long term (which is another argument) and its a shrewd move if you're looking to clear salary in 2012. They also won't have to give 8-11 million to Gallinari or Chandler this off-season or next. If they have to build through free agency to add that 3rd player to catch the Heat, then they need to strip down. Keeping Landry is wise because he makes less than 1 mil and you could squeeze to keep him.

ATX
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't think DWill is even eligible to sign an extension. So saying NJ failed there is false. Adding arguably the best PG in the NBA is far from fail. A move to Brooklyn and an elite PG who make his other teammates look better, will certainly attract other stars. It was a very smart move.

H.E.R.
02-24-2011, 02:50 PM
And as a side note, if you think about it, they cleared salary for next year. They swapped Felton for Billups. IMO it's a wash move if you're not looking to keep Felton long term (which is another argument) and its a shrewd move if you're looking to clear salary in 2012. They also won't have to give 8-11 million to Gallinari or Chandler this off-season or next. If they have to build through free agency to add that 3rd player to catch the Heat, then they need to strip down. Keeping Landry is wise because he makes less than 1 mil and you could squeeze to keep him.

Knicks will pay ~$40 million/year to Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudamire alone soon enough when Carmelo's max extension is worked out and signed. Take cap holds into account ($490,000 for EACH empty roster spot under 12 players), leaving around $14 million in first year salary while not including extending Fields. That means if Howard or Paul want to come to the Knicks, they would leave nearly $30 million in total contract money if they decide not to sign with another team. To fill out the roster, they could only give out vet minimums with that type of money. Let's also remember that the Heat's 3 didn't take max deals and consulted with each other on their contracts to play together and sign other role players.

This is also under the current CBA. The new one might include a lower and hard salary cap.

BallIsAll
02-24-2011, 02:56 PM
i have a feeling dwill will stay heck i would play for the nets if i was a star going to brooklyn with an owner whos willing to spend and win.

proky missed out on these players for the following reasons

boozer- he didnt go after
amare- he didnt go after
bosh, lebron, wade- had it planned out they were going to play together in miami
melo- his good friend amare pitched him going to ny with him in the summer and he always has wanted to play for the knicks and win asap. why go to the nets when you could join amare in the knicks?
they will miss out on cp3 for the same reason as amare.

but now they have dwill to help them attract and other players know proky is willing to make some gutsy decisions to win like he did with adding dwill. they will have the best arena, a new name, already have an elite pg now and they have a great owner. who wouldnt go to them as a free agent now?

cheetos185
02-24-2011, 03:34 PM
i have a feeling dwill will stay heck i would play for the nets if i was a star going to brooklyn with an owner whos willing to spend and win.

proky missed out on these players for the following reasons

boozer- he didnt go after
amare- he didnt go after
bosh, lebron, wade- had it planned out they were going to play together in miami
melo- his good friend amare pitched him going to ny with him in the summer and he always has wanted to play for the knicks and win asap. why go to the nets when you could join amare in the knicks?
they will miss out on cp3 for the same reason as amare.

but now they have dwill to help them attract and other players know proky is willing to make some gutsy decisions to win like he did with adding dwill. they will have the best arena, a new name, already have an elite pg now and they have a great owner. who wouldnt go to them as a free agent now?

which other star will join deron in brooklyn only ones hitting FA in future is dwight cp3 ... cp3 is not going to nets and dwight rather lure deron to orlando with better cast than go play on depleted nets

BallIsAll
02-24-2011, 03:37 PM
which other star will join deron in brooklyn only ones hitting FA in future is dwight cp3 ... cp3 is not going to nets and dwight rather lure deron to orlando with better cast than go play on depleted nets

better cast? more like bankrupt team.. the nets can easily get a better cast.

they can always trade it doesnt have to be free agents, theres nene going to be a free agent billups smith david west and many more.

dwill can play with whoever he wants as long as he helps the nets get them by pitching them wins.

BigCityofDreams
02-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Ppl are really starting to gulp the Net koolaid. The have to get Deron to stay or the trade goes down as a bad one. Net fans are assuming that D Will is just going to fall in love with the Nets. He's friends with Melo and Amare you don't think he's going to see that and say do I really want to be in their shadow. When next season starts and the Garden is jumping he's going to be in Newark in front of a handful of ppl losing games left and right. IMO it doesn't make sense for him to stay unless there is a 100% guarantee that D12 is coming.